Hightower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hightower

I remember when he came out of the draft that he had the ability to rush the passer from the outside spot...why not put him over there to replace Ninkovich on passing downs? Could he be any worse than Ninkovich? I think they put Nink over there because he's got that outside linebacker flexibility to his game - Hightower would give you the same.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Hightower

Personally I thought Hightower was pretty good in pass coverage. Probably damned if you do, damned if you don't. Put him on the edge and you'll lose it in the middle. I sure hope Cunningham shows something this year. Who was the connection on drafting him? Meyer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah you might be right, I just figured he's a young powerful guy that might be able to handle the size of a right tackle. You can always bounce him around (back into coverage) if you want to. I just figured this is the type of player that would be lining up all over the field for us...like he was used at Alabama. It seems weird to have a guy that big not going after the quarterback more often. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I have been happy, for the most part, with Cunningham's performance. Certainly a little consistency would be greatly appreciated, but he's looking more like he did in 2010 as opposed to being Mr. Invisible in 2011.

Hopefully the whole DLine can learn what they did wrong against baltimore, and fix it. They looked fine in the first 2 weeks, and non-existent last week. Buffalo has given up 1 sack so far this year, so it should be a good test.

Whether a 3-4 or a 4-3 front, Belichick typically only rushes 4 people. One some occasions, 5. Love it or leave it, that's kind of how he's always been. "bend but don't break". I was happy with that system for 3 SB victories, this is still one of, if not THE youngest D in the league. Growing pains are to be expected, as frustrating as that is. I think Mayo, Hightower, Cunningham and Jones have about the combined league experience of Wilfork alone. Maybe I'm a couple years off, but that shows you how inexperienced these guys are, nevermind having someone like a Ray Lewis, and his 16 years of experience to lead the group.

What happened to Tavon Wilson? I guess the whole D disappeared last week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Patricia just needs to dial up some blitzes and get Mayo & Hightower & Spikes in on the rush....add in a few blitzes from the DBs and we might be able to apply pressure. Obviously rushing 4 didn't work. We have some speed, why are we not using it? Having a hard time understanding why they don't bring the house and try to get to the QB so in turn that might give the DBs some help. Without any pressure, our secondary has to cover way too long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ah, but, if you blitz, and it gets picked up....ouch. That secondary will look even worse. They need the fron 4 to be more consistent first and foremost. It's not worth blitzing if they aren't already forcing double teams and protection problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Ah, but, if you blitz, and it gets picked up....ouch. That secondary will look even worse. They need the fron 4 to be more consistent first and foremost. It's not worth blitzing if they aren't already forcing double teams and protection problems.

Our secondary just got torched for 400+ yards with no blitzes, and zero pressure. I don't think we have the front 4 that can (consistantly) apply pressure. Change has to made somewhere. Why do most teams blitz and we don't? Always playing conservative is not going to work with this secondary. Pressure is vital, and without it, we have the same old defense that gives up huge yards, and can't make stops when we need to. That was proven Sunday night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The coaching has been horrible.  What we have learned in the two losses is nothing has changed.  We still have a defense that can't win a game (only lose them) and if Josh tries to get cute with formations, plays and personnel we will lose.

I guess what I'm saying is, we can arrange the Defensive deck chairs anyway we like but it still comes down to Brady winning the game and Josh not f'ing it up in the process.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Personally I thought Hightower was pretty good in pass coverage. Probably damned if you do, damned if you don't. Put him on the edge and you'll lose it in the middle. I sure hope Cunningham shows something this year. Who was the connection on drafting him? Meyer?

bequette is the key when he comes back. that's the guy who will be a reliable enough rusher to free up hightower for anything bb wants him to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I have been happy, for the most part, with Cunningham's performance. Certainly a little consistency would be greatly appreciated, but he's looking more like he did in 2010 as opposed to being Mr. Invisible in 2011.

Hopefully the whole DLine can learn what they did wrong against baltimore, and fix it. They looked fine in the first 2 weeks, and non-existent last week. Buffalo has given up 1 sack so far this year, so it should be a good test.

Whether a 3-4 or a 4-3 front, Belichick typically only rushes 4 people. One some occasions, 5. Love it or leave it, that's kind of how he's always been. "bend but don't break". I was happy with that system for 3 SB victories, this is still one of, if not THE youngest D in the league. Growing pains are to be expected, as frustrating as that is. I think Mayo, Hightower, Cunningham and Jones have about the combined league experience of Wilfork alone. Maybe I'm a couple years off, but that shows you how inexperienced these guys are, nevermind having someone like a Ray Lewis, and his 16 years of experience to lead the group.

What happened to Tavon Wilson? I guess the whole D disappeared last week.

Can I ask why you've been happy with Cunningham's performance? I'm serious, because maybe I'm missing something, but he looks like a guy that can only blast ahead at one speed and one direction to me. To me he looks very blockable. The guy I'd like to see out on the field is Scott (if it's not going to be Hightower), because at least he has prior production.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well the logical choice would be Cunningham, but there must be something missing from his game. He hasn't played a lot, so it's hard to really say one way or the other, but going off his college play he was striclty an upfield guy that would take himself out of plays. Everything you read about him says he doesn't have many/any pass rush moves, but he does have burst - it looks like they put him in the inside to take advantage of that burst through a gap. I don't see this guy being able to beat tackles that can pass block and have long arms and who know's how is against the run. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

Why not give Cunningham a shot and then just use Ninkovich as the sub rusher guy, which would condense his focus just on rushing in passing situations?

I like Ninkovich, but he's not a 3 down player in a 4-3.

Nink is a lousy pass rusher.  After watching a bunch of film today and focusing on Nink, I think he's a big reason our pass rush is so bad.  Jones still looks good to me, but he needs help.  As it is, teams are doubling Jones and handling everyone else one-on-one most of the time.  Nink in particular almost never commands a double team.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I remember when he came out of the draft that he had the ability to rush the passer from the outside spot...why not put him over there to replace Ninkovich on passing downs? Could he be any worse than Ninkovich? I think they put Nink over there because he's got that outside linebacker flexibility to his game - Hightower would give you the same.

YES! Plus, when have you ever seen a 270lb 4-3 OLB? Crazy really. Hightower should be replacing Nink at 4-3 DE opposite Jones. I migth even put Cunningham next to Hightower, add some more athleticsm to that line which is sorely lacking behind Jones. Can't be any worse. Deaderick being out hurts us. He's not great, but I see the drop off. 

How about a starting 4-3 line of Hightower, Cunningham, VW, Jones? Could it be any worse?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[/QUOTE]

How about a starting 4-3 line of Hightower, Cunningham, VW, Jones? Could it be any worse?

[/QUOTE]

maybe on 3rd and more than 8. put that out there on 1st down and the bills will just run over that d. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

mthurl - I'm just going by what I've seen so far. He has been second only to Jones, so far, on getting pressure on the QB. It hasn't always resulted in stats, but he has been getting decent pressure, and from the inside. Maybe his lack of moves is why he got moved inside? I don't know. Again, just going off of what i've seen. I saw nothing last week, but in the first 2 weeks he looked to be getting decent pressure in the times he was on the field.

Prolate - If I remember, you ponied up the dough for all those extras, including the All 22? If so, I'd be interested in your take on Cunningham so far, I don't have the capability to go back and look at game films, I'm working off of memory here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Here's a good article on Cunningham, granted after Week 1, before the AZ game:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1332118-jermaine-cunningham-should-the-new-england-patriots-start-him

Interesting insight from BB and other coaches.

Little good to be found about anyone recently. Murmurs all over the place that he should be getting more reps over Ninkovich.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Dragon, from what I've seen so far (mostly looking at the film from the Ravens game) Cunningham is more athletic than Nink, but he doesn't play with much control and to my eyes seems to waste a lot of motion.  I think he's got a lot more quickness and power--it's just that he needs to focus it better to be effective.  He also doesn't seem to have any slick moves like Jones does.  He spends a lot of time running fast into blockers, bouncing off them, and running back at them.  He needs to get moves that allow him to get around blockers.  

Also . . . I guess I see why Nink starts over him.  Cunningham is a bit more disruptive, but he ends up on the ground a lot more too, because he doesn't play with good control.  Blockers use his momentum against him a lot, often guiding him right into the ground.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Seems like an educated opinion...or you're good at making things up! Haha, I know it's the former.

I will say, however, that few people looked good against Baltimore. For all his moves, Jones only got to the QB once, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't Cunningham get there on that same play?

Knowing Buffalo has a good OLine, I'm going to try and pay special attention to the trenches today and see what's up. Hopefully they do SOMEthing positive today.

We'll see if the refs being back changes the philosophy at all and get the Pats to do something other than a Cover 2 most of the time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seems like an educated opinion...or you're good at making things up! Haha, I know it's the former.

I will say, however, that few people looked good against Baltimore. For all his moves, Jones only got to the QB once, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't Cunningham get there on that same play?

Knowing Buffalo has a good OLine, I'm going to try and pay special attention to the trenches today and see what's up. Hopefully they do SOMEthing positive today.

We'll see if the refs being back changes the philosophy at all and get the Pats to do something other than a Cover 2 most of the time.

If you're talking about the fourth quarter sack, that was actually Kyle Love who got to Flacco with Jones.  Cunningham was in on that play, but he was doubled.  Love actually got the best pressure throughout the game after Jones, I thought. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Some good analysis of Cunningham - quite honestly I was shocked when they selected him in the draft - I really thought out of all the hybrids he was the worst. This guy just ran right up field and took himself out of the play. I really had no idea what they saw in this guy, he showed nothing as far as moves go and he looked small. Truthfully I did think he looked a lot better in his first year here than he looked in his college tape, so maybe there is hope?

I would love to see this guy turn into something.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

He has the potential to be a Ty Warren-type guy that can play in or outside. I know he's not as bulky...or at least he's not listed that way. He came into the league at 255, but he seems to be bigger than that now.

Thanks for the correction prolate. Kyle Love has been a nice surprise. What was he? 6/7th rounder? Ron Brace is a disappointment. In spots, he looks good, then disappears for weeks on end.

This is what I'd like to see a few times:

Jones/Wilfork/Love/Cunningham

Line them up and see what they can do. I think puting Jones and Wilfork next to each other creates real problems for the OLine, letting Cunningham and Love mostly work 1-on-1. You're likely to get a TE to stay in and help, which can only help the secondary.

I figure Nink plays more because he does set the edge well...but I'm not worried about getting run on all day in today's NFL. Especially against Buffalo with Fred Jackson just getting back from injury. Dare them to, if Jackson runs wild and Buffalo wins because of that...well, the problems run deeper than I think.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Who is the pats CB coach. Why does he not teach our CB's to turn their head and play the ball and not the reciever, Like every other team does in the NFL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

bequette is the key when he comes back. that's the guy who will be a reliable enough rusher to free up hightower for anything bb wants him to do.

You could very well be right. I think this guy was a steal in the draft. I expected to see more of him so far.

Sections
Shortcuts