Hillis, 1 yr, 3 mil!!! Where was NE?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Really? That's it?

26 years old.

I'm disappointed that contract didn't come from the Pats. VERY disappointed.

Sorry if this was already covered, I missed it if it was, and nothing about Hillis on page 1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Hillis, 1 yr, 3 mil!!! Where was NE?!

Head case with fumbleitis and durability issues. I'd rather just keep Benny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

The guy had one breakout year. He isn't quick, he has no burst, he isn't fast in a line. He's big and strong -- that's it. Top that off with injury problems last season, and I see no reason why this guy is all that special. We can do better -- I'll take Ridley any day over Hillis. He's faster, quicker, has a better burst, and is plenty strong and has plenty of power.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'd take what I saw out of Hillis, give him a one year deal, you KNOW he wants to get paid, he'll be a FA at 27 next off season.

I GUARANTEE 1200+ yards on the ground for him.

And do some research, his "injury" issues last year were a lot more "agent influence" than actual injuries. He took some very bad advice, and it cost him a lot of money. Head case? Yes, without a doubt. That's why a 1 year deal seems wonderful to me, those head cases almost always perform for 1 year when they have something to prove...unless you're 400lbs of useless mud like Haynesworth. TO did it throughout his career, Moss did it, Dillon did it, Beltre did it for the Sox, Lloyd did it this past year...

1200 yards. Write it down, 3/15/2012, 12:30pm - ma6dragon9 was the first to predict Hillis having a huge year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

Probably laughing at KC for spending money on a RB who fumbles a lot and has an attitude problem!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

You want a guy that has off the field issues, injury issues AND Fumbles like crazy? LMFAO!

Does 3.6 yards per carry sound like a "beast" to you? Does 10 fumbles in 21 games started the last two seasons sound like a player that would fit what BB wants?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Umm, he fumbles.  I'd rather have BJGE at 1 year for 3 by far.   And he doesn't block or catch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I didn't realize fumblitis was as uncurable as AIDS! Tiki Barber comes to mind, he of 16 fumbles over a 3 year span including 3! in one game, and then playing following 2 years fumbling a total of 4 times. All full seasons.

JC tore his ACL, only Welker has come back in under a year, and it took him, as well as every other player to ever tear his ACL, 2 years to get back to form, and some never do. Charles will be back on the field in 2012, but how effective will he be? We'll see.

Twelve. Hundred.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

hillis = larry johnson.  cancer.  larry killed that team so now they grab hillis for round two.  some people never learn

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Lets give the opening poster a little credit. Sure Hillis had a down year, but if this were last year, maybe the consensus is a bit different. The fumbling thing alone is enough for him not to be a Patriot, but he is no slouch. I recall him running all over our defense 2 years ago and just about every other team, so lets not act like he hasnt shown the ability to get it done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

OMG GUYS WHY DIDNT WE SIGN A MALCONTENT THATS GOING ON HIS THIRD TEAM IN 5 YEARS111!!11!11!!

Seriously dude? Clearly people dont like him, there was Zero chance of him coming to NE because a.) Mcdaniels dumped him once already, and b.) hes not that good. a single year where he had a above average numbers. Numbers that if Lawfirm was given the same number of attempts lawfirm would shatter.

Oh but i guess hillis had ONE single good game against the pats so clearly thats why we should pick him up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

What were the Pats doing and thinking about Hillis...as a couple of folks said earlier...they were watching him put the ball on the ground.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Really ma6 you are smarter then this.

guaranteed 1,200 yrds? He's never broke 1,200 yrds. His best year was in 10' when he had 1,177yrds and 8 yes 8! fumbles. He's also injury prone. Lets compare him to BJGE for a second

Hillis                                     BJGE
                   G    Yrd/G      Yrd      Fum          G   Yrd/G   Yrd   Fum

08'         12     28.6      343       0              9    30.6    275     0            
    09'         14     3.9         54        0             12   9.5     114      0
    10'         16     73.6    1,177      8             16    63     1008     0
    11'         10     58.7      587       1             16   41.7    667      0

So comparatively BJGE was better every year then Hillis, is a better blocker then Hillis, and is more durable then Hillis. Why would the Pats get in on Hillis if they wouldn't give BJGE $3mil?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Everyone's facts and track records are all well and good and make a case against me fairly well.

Even still, looking at everything, I see one HUGE year for him, then a likely total disappearing act when someone ponies up a 3 year deal next offseason.

This KC team is a LOT better than the CLE team he had the good season for. The QB is better. The WRs are better. The OLine...actually probably pretty close, CLE had a good OLine that year and I like KCs well enough.

Also, the AFC north, with CIN, PIT, BALT pose decidedly more defense and challenges than SD, OAK, and DEN.

And Hillis did his 1100+ on a bad team, in a defense heavy division, when EVERYONE KNEW he would get the ball A LOT.

There are a lot of reasons to like him for this year, everything I just listed are MAJOR points, and; he's at a prime age, in a contract year, his LAST chance to make significant money.

1. 2. 0. 0.

Thank you for calling me smarter than this. But F U for calling me smarter than this! hahaha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Oh, and the overstated fumbling problem:

8 fumbles, 5 lost in 270 carries in 2010.

2 fumbles, 1 lost in 161 carries 2011.

His fumbling WAS a problem. And far be it from a 25 year old, in his first year as a starter only getting the chance because of injury, in a division with 2 of the most physical Ds in the league...far be it for that player to cough it up 8 times. And he CERTAINLY can't learn from those mistakes made in his first real season.

I guess there's still people out there calling Brady nothing more than a game manager too...based off of what he did in 2001 alone, not looking beyond his first year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Go with Ridley, Vareen and a solid vet after other team's make cuts, this guy was overrated all along. 

Most fullbacks on any team in the NFL can become a feature back, durability, luck and a great O line will determine how long they can sustain it.  Not long typically, ask Christian Okoye.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'll take another chance to agree with Wozzy.  Was never particularly impressed with Hillis--and especially not for 3 mil . . . I prefer to see what Ridley and Vereen can do.  Expect additional UDFAs plus some cut veterans along the lines of a Sammy Morris or--if we're lucky--a Fred Taylor type (without the injuries). BJGE may be back too if he doesn't get interest from other teams . . . but I would like to see someone more explosive and better at catching passes as the featured back.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

WHY would the Pats give Hillis $3 mill if they are not going to give it to Ben Jarvis Green?? If that would be the case I bet you the Pats would have signed BJGE, before they signed fumbilitis Hillis. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i'd rather have michael bush!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

$3 mil is too much for this guy.  Clearly BB wanted to put Kraft's money elsewhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

BB just drafted 2 RBs. He isn't going to undercut his move by signing a FA for bigger bucks than he's paying the guys he just picked.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Hillis, 1 yr, 3 mil!!! Where was NE?!:
    BB just drafted 2 RBs. He isn't going to undercut his move by signing a FA for bigger bucks than he's paying the guys he just picked.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Of course he would otherwise he'd never sign any FA's since almost every FA will make more then almost every draft pick.

But along the lines of your thinking he just spent 2 relatively high draft picks on RB's. He's not going to short change their development to bring in an overpayed FA that hasn't shown that he can give anymore more then those draft picks might give you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I agree that Vereen and Ridley will be the future. I also know that Pats won't come in to camp with just these two, or these plus Woodhead.

They WILL bring at least 4 RBs into camp, and likely 5 or 6. I find it unlikely, though not impossible more get drafted which means a FA will be coming.

That being said, I'm surprised at all the negativity towards a 1 year deal for Hillis, who is still young, doesn't have a lot of wear and tear, and showed some real solid ability.

It's becaue he's a white RB, isn't it? White RBs have faced an uphill battle since the NFL's inception more than any other race/position combo.
    (note the color of sarcasm)

Sections
Shortcuts