Hines Ward dirty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Hines Ward dirty?

It was almost ironic (simplistic, pathetic, odd?) to hear Rodney Harrison talk about "dirty" play on the Dan Patrick show today. He was notorious for topping the list of dirty players as voted by his peers for numerous years. Sadly, he believes (he said as much today) that "hitting someone in the mouth" is part of the game. I post this thread starter with the question:

Is there such a thing as a "dirty" player in NFL football?

The (almost) dirty dozen
    In a Sports Illustrated poll on the NFL's dirtiest players, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward won in a landslide. Here's a breakdown of the vote:
    PlayerTeamPos.Pct.
    Hines WardSteelersWR11.6
    Albert HaynesworthRedskinsDT6.0
    Joey PorterDolphinsOLB6.0
    Roy WilliamsBengalsS5.1
    Kevin MawaeTitansC4.6
    Cortland FinneganTitansCB4.2
    Harvey DahlFalconsG3.7
    Richie IncognitoRamsG3.7
    Troy PolamaluSteelersS3.3
    Jared AllenVikingsDE3.2
    296 players took part in the poll anonymously

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Re: Hines Ward dirty?

Having trouble seeing your entire post. Half of it is cut off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I made the point in the other thread on this topic that busting Hines Ward's balls about being named the NFL's "dirtiest player" is an odd thing for Pats fans to be doing, as they celebrated Rodney Harrison for the exact same thing. It was brought up that defenders who crunch guys as part of their job description are not the same as receivers who blindside guys and go low on unsuspecting defenders. Personally, I wouldn't want a gaggle of well-respected gentlemen on my team. Who besides me hates seeing Pats defenders help a guy back up after they crunch him? I guess you could say that guys who go out there intentionally trying to injure people (the way . . .   say . . .   a Jack Tatum would) could be considered dirty, but in the final analysis, I want a team that other teams look at and say, "Damn, I hate playing these guys."

If that's dirty, I say okay.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Hines Ward dirty?:
    I made the point in the other thread on this topic that busting Hines Ward's balls about being named the NFL's "dirtiest player" is an odd thing for Pats fans to be doing, as they celebrated Rodney Harrison for the exact same thing. It was brought up that defenders who crunch guys as part of their job description are not the same as receivers who blindside guys and go low on unsuspecting defenders. Personally, I wouldn't want a gaggle of well-respected gentlemen on my team. Who besides me hates seeing Pats defenders help a guy back up after they crunch him? I guess you could say that guys who go out there intentionally trying to injure people (the way . . .   say . . .   a Jack Tatum would -- could be considered dirty, but in the final analysis, I want a team that other teams look at and say, "Damn, I hate playing these guys." If that's dirty, I say okay.
    Posted by prairiemike

I'm confused. I've rented space in an offensive player's heads without a single "dirty" hit. Do you not know the difference between "dirty football" and football or are you just playing dumb?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, you got one thing correct.

You're confused.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Like I said; now we're in agreement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"Do you not know the difference between "dirty football" and football or are you just playing dumb?"

Hey tuff guy, I see you got your internet muscles on again.  You are, by far, the biggest Parasite on BDC.  Always attacking someone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Western Omelet, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say because pot's illegal in Massachusetts but there's a big difference when a wide receiver gets the award. Defensive guys who go after people usually get this honor because of how they make the hits. It didn't/doesn't bother me that RH had it or that Ward has it now but just don't whine when someone blindsides Wards knees someday the same way RH had happen to him.

Pmike, I hate it anytime they help each other unless the game's winding down. I've always said that energy it takes to help them up should be used on the next hit instead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Okay, the tough guys are here.

The sport is characterized by players who think it's tough to act tough, blind-side, low-hit and head-shot. To the point that they even do it in practice. I've been there and have experienced it. It's the sport where a scout team player who happens to be a red-shirt freshman becomes the target of a cheap shot because he beats the corner or linebacker to the edge. Or the top pass catcher gets lit-up be a safety because the safety conveniently forgot it was practice, due to his own testosterone surge.

You three having a surge now? lolol...on a public board? That's funny. I watched K-Max call Brandon Merriweather "Mary Weather" on another thread and called him out...and somehow he's an ally of those who condone "dirty" football. Merriweather went on to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Week. Not surprising that K-Max flexes his parasitical muscle and then calls me out, not surprising. Quite hilarious though.

Helping someone up never kept Mike Singletary from being a perennial All-Pro now did it? Funny thing, of you three? I'm the only person who can spell the word peremnial.

K-Max, if what I did with PM was "attack", then so be it. There's no place for dirty football. Unsportsmanlike conduct has be defined by the NFL. Call me a parasite if you wish, my nickname on the football field was "Leech"...once I made contact with someone I never did let go until we were on the ground. Thanks for your contact K-max...you get to carry me until you're outta gas now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Funny thing, of you three? I'm the only person who can spell the word peremnial.   Posted by WesternOregon

What the hell is "peremnial" and what does it have to do with a discussion of internet blowhards?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Western Omelet, I don't see anyone condoning premeditated attempts at injuring another player which is how I define dirty football. I'm saying I'd like to see the hardest hit legally possible by the NFL every tackle and then not help him up until the game is almost over or well in hand. If a player gets injured by that hit tough, he knew the risk when he signed the contract for the cash.

Maybe if you define dirty football we'll know what your talking about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

If Hines Ward or Rodney Harrison played football in the 50's or 60's, their "dirty" play would go totally unnoticed, because the entire league was dominated by "dirty" play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Okay, the tough guys are here. The sport is characterized by players who think it's tough to act tough, blind-side, low-hit and head-shot. To the point that they even do it in practice. I've been there and have experienced it. It's the sport where a scout team player who happens to be a red-shirt freshman becomes the target of a cheap shot because he beats the corner or linebacker to the edge. Or the top pass catcher gets lit-up be a safety because the safety conveniently forgot it was practice, due to his own testosterone surge. You three having a surge now? lolol...on a public board? That's funny. I watched K-Max call Brandon Merriweather "Mary Weather" on another thread and called him out...and somehow he's an ally of those who condone "dirty" football. Merriweather went on to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Week. Not surprising that K-Max flexes his parasitical muscle and then calls me out, not surprising. Quite hilarious though. Helping someone up never kept Mike Singletary from being a perennial All-Pro now did it? Funny thing, of you three? I'm the only person who can spell the word peremnial.   K-Max, if what I did with PM was "attack", then so be it. There's no place for dirty football. Unsportsmanlike conduct has be defined by the NFL. Call me a parasite if you wish, my nickname on the football field was "Leech"...once I made contact with someone I never did let go until we were on the ground. Thanks for your contact K-max...you get to carry me until you're outta gas now.
    Posted by WesternOregon

Now that's a really big mouth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Hines Ward.......I wish we had him! That should say it all from my perspective.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

If Hines Ward or Rodney Harrison played football in the 50's or 60's, their "dirty" play would go totally unnoticed, because the entire league was dominated by "dirty" play.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan

Ummm...thanks.
    That's almost relevant in 2009.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Sam - gotta disagree with you here.  

I don't think any defensive player is defined as dirty simply for delivering clean hard hits which is how I interpreted what you said.  If you said something different then disregard the comment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Buds. Show Buds's posts

Helping up the guy you just destroyed with a crushing block or tackle is the ultimate way of exhibiting total dominance.  Not only did the guy get jacked, he accepted the jacker's help to get up (and I'm sure on the way up a little trash is piled on as well). 70,000 people in the stadium know that the jacker totally owns the jackee.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I just thought of this and figured this board would be the appropriate place to share it, given that Hines Ward is one of the best at it:

I'd LOVE to see someone lay a HUGE crack block down on Joey Porter today (crack block being when the receiver runs in to block someone in the box, usually a linebacker).  Hines Ward cracked Keith Rivers' jaw doing this and also put Ed Reed out of a game with a concussion once (and the hits were LEGAL).  I'm not saying dive at Porter's knees, but if you can clock him clean, then by all means do it.

and I nominate Ben Watson or a split-out BenJarvis Green-Ellis to do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Sam - gotta disagree with you here.  

I don't think any defensive player is defined as dirty simply for delivering clean hard hits which is how I interpreted what you said.  If you said something different then disregard the comment.
    I LOVE FAN BIAS
    Something different

Sections
Shortcuts