History of our opponent this week the Jaguars

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

History of our opponent this week the Jaguars

http://library.kraftsportsgroup.com/20091227_release.pdf?utm_campaign=PSA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=20091223_E_PSA_JagsPreview_CDF

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: History of our opponent this week the Jaguars

Pats are 4th on pass offense and the jags are 27th in pass defense, I would imagine TB and the boys will try to take advantage of that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I'm a bit confused as to why the Jags have had to come to Gillette 3 games in a row after this week in the regular season.  Anybody have any insight on how they schedule home/road games?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This comes up in connection with the Colts v Pats fairly often in this forum, Captain. As near as I can guess, the NFL schedules teams that meet arbitrarily in three year runs -- this year, the Pats face the Jags as part of an inter-dvisional matchup . . .  they have the AFC South this year. Those games are alternated home and away, so when the Pats face the Jags next time in inter-division play in three years, they will meet in Jacksonville. This is why the last four times the Pats have played the Colts (a team they tend to face every year as a divsion winner), the game has been in Indy. The next three will be in Foxboro.

Now, somebody cue EnochRoot to tell me how I've gotten it completely wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Since October 11 the Jags have never won a game by more than 5 points.  On Oct. 5 they beat Tennessee 37-17.  This was the week before the Pats beat Tennessee 59-0.  On Nov. 1, Tennessee beat the Jags 30-13.

On the credit side, the Jags just played two strong teams in my book, and they didn't lose either game by much. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

CaptainZdeno33 - I'm a bit confused as to why the Jags have had to come to Gillette 3 games in a row after this week in the regular season.  Anybody have any insight on how they schedule home/road games?

The last regular season game was actually in Jax in 2006.

Here is how the current schedule works. To understand it, you need to know two things - 

1. Each division in the same conference plays each other every three years with alternating home games (This year, the Pats played the AFC South with 2 home games, TEN and JAX, and 2 away, IND and HOU. Three years ago against the AFC South, the home teams were reversed.) 

2. Each team plays the same place team from the other divisions in the same conference. (E.G. The Pats came in second last year and play the two second place finishers from the AFC North and West this year)

Now here is the tricky part that determines who plays at home in the "same place" games. When you play a division, the next two years you play the same place team at their place. Then you play the division again in the 4th year and for the next two years you play the same place game at home.

It is a lot easier to see on a spreadsheet, but I will try to give a concrete example:

In 2002, the Pats played the AFC West division. Then in 2003 and 2004, they played the "same place" team from the AFC West but both games were on the road. It didn't matter who the same place team was, the game was played in their house. Then, the Pats played the AFC West again in 2005 and in 2006 and 2007, they played the "same place" team from the AFC West at Gillette.

If you follow that pattern, then you remember that the Pats played the AFC West last year. So this year they would play the "same place" team from the AFC West as a road game. Denver came in second place in the AFC West last year and the Pats played them in Denver.