Hobbs traded!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Hobbs traded!

The Patriots have acquired two fifth round picks (137 and 141) from the Eagles in exchange for veteran CB Ellis Hobbs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

Re: Hobbs traded!

What?  The Eagles didn't have a bag o' beans to give. The Pats' off-season strategy continues to confound and irritate.  Do the Pats want to get better or what?  They need more experienced help, not more guys in the fifth round that will get cut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Yup I just saw that to! They must think Butler can come in right away and contribute but now the Pats lose one of the best returnmen in the game. Lets see what they do with the picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]What?  The Eagles didn't have a bag o' beans to give. The Pats' off-season strategy continues to confound and irritate.  Do the Pats want to get better or what?  They need more experienced help, not more guys in the fifth round that will get cut.
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

I hear the Jets are looking for fans

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]Yup I just saw that to! They must think Butler can come in right away and contribute but now the Pats lose one of the best returnmen in the game. Lets see what they do with the picks.
    Posted by jdcfreshkickz9[/QUOTE] Even if Butler comes in right away, two Fifth's for a starting corner are you serious. I love BB but this Draft has not been his finest hour. I want to be the first to go on record as saying Chung will be as good as Dexter Reid was for the Pats remember him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

Adios, Ellis Hobbs. OK guy, thanks for the time in NE, not worth a contract upgrade coming up. Wish he had scared more offensive coordinators. Will miss the yakking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]I hear the Jets are looking for fans
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

They have Leon. How many more do they need?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

They must have traded Hobbs to free up cap space.  According to Patscap, the Pat will save just over 2m.  I suspect something big is in the works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

Come on, everyone has crapped on Hobbs every game.  We have already picked up two return men in this draft and we still have Wheatley and Wilhite from last year's draft and Springs and Bodden from FA.  Hobbs isn't a huge loss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from randomname75. Show randomname75's posts

[QUOTE]Even if Butler comes in right away, two Fifth's for a starting corner are you serious. I love BB but this Draft has not been his finest hour. I want to be the first to go on record as saying Chung will be as good as Dexter Reid was for the Pats remember him.
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

I think it's fair to say you've been the first to go on record for being redundant.
    Yes, you hate the Chung pick. Got it. Enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]They have Leon. How many more do they need?!
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

You're right he's about as dozen personallities anyway.

People have been complaining about Hobbs for a few years now so I don't expect to hear many complaints now that he's gone

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

This wasn't unexpected. The Pats added Bodden and Springs in the offseason. Both are better corners than Hobbs. The Pats have Wilhite and Wheatley from last year's draft. You want them to get on the field. Then the Pats added Darius Butler who is perhaps the best coverage corner in this draft. In terms of special teams, Tate was the best returner in this draft and we took him. Hobbs also has a bit of cost. I was actually in the process of writing a post saying that I expected Hobbs to be traded for a 2010 pick when I saw that he was traded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Just a random guess, but how about something like 2 seconds next year that we picked up for Peppers?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]Even if Butler comes in right away, two Fifth's for a starting corner are you serious. I love BB but this Draft has not been his finest hour. I want to be the first to go on record as saying Chung will be as good as Dexter Reid was for the Pats remember him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'll try not to weep openly. I already blogged that Tate sealed Hobbs at least being gone after 2009. This is just sooner than expected.

Who cares. He was a perennial weak link in the secondary. Him and Sanders. Now Sanders can be a backup and he can play nickel corner for the Eagles.

NE saves $2.25 mil against the cap, and gets some low picks to throw against the wall. I hope they take Devin Moore with one of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Just a random guess, but how about something like 2 seconds next year that we picked up for Peppers?
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

I would rather not. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats not address the position at all. Though with a bit more cap sapce, the Pats could be looking at signing Taylor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

He was a starter by default.  Because you are a starter, doesnt make you a good player. I like Hobbs, but like BB would say; "he is what he is". They have the players to replace him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Thank god.  I guess BB finally head enough.  Two years to late though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Interestingly, neither Miami or the Patriots has picked up a pass rusher in this draft.  That leads me to believe that Miami is still the favorite for Taylor after the draft is over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Hobbs trade was an unexpected surprise. Yes, the Pats only got two 5th rounders...but they are the 1st and 4th selections in that round.

Hobbs, just 25, had signed a 5-year deal with the Pats...and is in the final year of his contract. Thats' probably why they shipped him out. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

They were lucky to get what they did for Hobbs. No one was happy with this guy for the past several years. It says something about the value of our 2008 secondary that we only got 2 lousy 5s for a starting CB.
    We needed a complete overhaul of our defensive backfield and we got it. I'm thankful for that and, Ellis, don't let the door hit you ion the way out . But, with your athletic skills, it'll probably hit you three times in the face.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]     The Hobbs trade was an unexpected surprise. Yes, the Pats only got two 5th rounders...but they are the 1st and 4th selections in that round.      Was Hobbs' contract coming up?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Hobbs is a FA in 2010.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Hobbs wasn't going to beat out the other DBs' anyway. He was the weak link in our secondary. Even with a rookie at one of the corners some teams STILL threw at Hobbs. Plus they save money. No brainer. You think two fives were not enough for Hobbs? How about getting nothing in return if he got cut.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]     The Hobbs trade was an unexpected surprise. Yes, the Pats only got two 5th rounders...but they are the 1st and 4th selections in that round.      Was Hobbs' contract coming up?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

They traded the 2 picks to the Ravens for 2 picks. Which 2 picks? I don't  know.

25. This post has been removed.