Hobbs traded!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Hobbs traded!

[QUOTE]Hobbs wasn't going to beat out the other DBs' anyway. He was the weak link in our secondary. Even with a rookie at one of the corners some teams STILL threw at Hobbs. Plus they save money. No brainer. You think two fives were not enough for Hobbs? How about getting nothing in return if he got cut.
    Posted by ricky1554atl[/QUOTE]

Yes. Last year was an eye-opener. He was still thrown at oppsite Deltha O'neal and Wilhite. Not as often as when Samuel was here, but often enough to get burned.

$2.25 mil is too much for a thrid or fourth corner anyhow.

BB likes old crystal wrist. He is all over Butler. Bodden and Springs are dynamite pickups.

Add Chung to Meriweather, eventually pushing Sanders to the sideline and Dollar defenses, and this Db crew is fixed. Speed, height, coverage, all of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots trade picks acquired for Hobbs

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 01:40 PM

The Patriots quickly turned around and traded the two fifth-round draft choices they acquired in the trade for Ellis Hobbs.

The team shipped picks 137 and 141 to Baltimore for picks 123 and 198 (sixth round).

With the 123rd selection, the Patriots selected Penn State offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Pats made another trade, this time with Ravens. Their #137 and #141 for Raven's #123 and #198.

With #123, they select Rich, Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

You guys are unbelieveable.  This team went 18-1 two years ago and 11-5 last year with a QB who hadn't played since High School.  Don't you get tired of complaining?  There is a reason we're all here in this chat room and BB is doing what he'e doing.  Hobbs was a useless DB and a fine return man.  I would think with the addition of 2 DB's thru free agency as well as some very capable return men/db in the draft, Hobbs' role would be diminished, if not eliminated.  I don't know how many people came on here during the seaon to complain about how terrible Hobbs was in coverage.  God - stop whining and appreciate the fact that you get to watch one of the best organizations in football operate.  THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!!!!!!!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Jeff- Those that are complaining are trolls , "Football Experts" or not real Patriots fans

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Rocky, you beat me.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think Plutto is just Patriots44 in another handle so he can complain twice as much with being more redundant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gdonahue. Show gdonahue's posts

I'm gonna miss watching Hobbs Flalling his arms trying to cover receivers that have him beat by about 8 yds. which happens about 3 or 4 times a game and him flapping his jaws after every game. Good trade! Have fun in Philly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

One good thing comes from this trade...Jbolt now can't start or respond to posts about how much Hobbs sux. Maybe he'll leave altogether and hang out on the Eagles forum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wheatly can step in and replace Hobbs as the guy who covers short slot speed burner types and he may possibly return kicks as well.  Ellis must have been unwilling to sign a reasonable contract extension after seeing Asante Samuel sign a monster contract; BB said OK, then I'll trade you to the same team Asante plays for so I can beat you both up during the upcoming season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

This is a shame.  Hobbs is a good corner.  He gets blamed for playing with injuries picked up on return duties. 

But his contract was up in a year, we have 5 good corners signed (4 past next year), we got a 4th round interior lineman who can hopefully replace Mankins or Neal, we now have 5 O-Linemen signed past 2010 (hopefully Kaczur, Hochstein, and if we're lucky, Mankins, resign), and we saved $2.4m.  Good move. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from taowen1. Show taowen1's posts

[QUOTE]The Patriots have acquired two fifth round picks (137 and 141) from the Eagles in exchange for veteran CB Ellis Hobbs.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Good job by the Patriots of getting draft picks instead of cutting Ellis "Toast" Hobbs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]They must have traded Hobbs to free up cap space.  According to Patscap, the Pat will save just over 2m.  I suspect something big is in the works.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]
    its saying with the cap space and players with one year left on there contracts are expendable.its possible something could be in the works,but also the pats have drafted a lot of players in this draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It  is also possible that BB was sober about it, and thought that Hobbs would be competing against a guy who makes a third of his cash to be the 3rd or fourth corner on this squad and decided to use the cash more wisely.

Hobbs was a bad second corner and would have been a decent nickel man. But then between Wilhite and Wheatley they will probably find a decent Nickel man too. So no loss.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Congratulations, the curse has now been lifted. BB decided to take out the trash, ehh. Considering the last SB win for NE was 2 months before Ellis Hobbs joined the team, I'd say, the curse has lifted.

An Achilles’ heel is a fatal weakness in spite of overall strength, actually or potentially leading to downfall. While the mythological origin refers to a physical vulnerability, metaphorical references to other attributes or qualities that can lead to their downfall are common. The use of “Achilles’ heel” is an English expression for “area of weakness, vulnerable spot”.

Foot in mouth

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

oh trust me i wont miss hobbs.sure he was a great special teamer,and he did his best,but as a starting corner? forget it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, that is why Brandon Tate really sealed this deal. I blogged it at the time in the draft thread. Two kick returners in one draft. Kind of spells the end for him.

A great way to bring that point home would be taking a kick returner in the seventh or as a RFA like Devin Moore.

Get some competition going. Hobbs was a good KR, so they need to replace that.