Holding the NFL Officials accountable

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable

In Response to Holding the NFL Officials accountable:
    I don't want to harp on and on about Faulk's catch on 4th and 2. But, he clearly had possession beyond the 1st down marker, and the official who made "the call" was not in a position to do so. Why was this official not overruled? On such a critical  play, why didn't the officials discuss it? The call was made too fast and without any consultation. Conspiracy?...I'm not going there, but I will say the NFL officiating crews need to be cleaned up considerably.  The NFL officials have cost many a team a win due to poor officiating. These officials and the league need to be held accountable for costing teams wins. If I can make the call from sitting on my butt on the couch, why can't the NFL with multiple officials on the field do the same? NFL officials are a joke. 
    Posted by PatsLifer
    The other part of the equasion is did anybody care to notice the helmet to helmet contact put on Brady after he released the ball ??
    Where is that Ray Lewis when you need a loudmouth!!  I try not to be too critical of the referees because I know its a tough job.......BUT....when they get so casual about their play calling that they clearly are GUESSING ?? There is no way from his point of view could that referee  positively could  say that Faulk did not have posession of the football gaining the first down !! In the 3rd quarter Manning threw a 30 yard pass short ...our defensive back clearly was looking back at the ball...because it was thrown short the receiver jumped back into the defender's space creating contact......result??? another moron call..... defensive pass interference......30 yard gift for Manning and the Colts.......  Regardless of what team you are backing the fan is offended when their team loses the game because of a bogus call !!!! Mike Ferrearra ! (Head  Referee)  would do better to teach his referees how to make a call right rather than dream up these foolish explanations trying to justify their stupid irresponsible calls !! I think they are starting to controll the  outcome of the games far more than the 22 guys playing the game in pads !! They're clearly destroying the game !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Sodium and ALL:

Sodium, Is What You write here true, and If so, Can I please have some links:

"The refs are held accountable, they've got a system in place where they are fined for mistakes.  Imagine getting fined for mistakes you made on your "part-time" job. 
     Everybody needs to stop whining about calls and non-calls
    ."

~See Everything I read made me believe that NFL Officiating was simply overseen and reviewed by the League, namely The Members of The Competition Committee (Polian and his crownees), The people who make, change and namely enforce the rules of the game and specifically, those people who enforce them in real gametime practices (NFL Referees)...  I didn't know they (Officials) had each of their calls on the field reviewed, and subsequently could be fined on a regular basis for the bad calls each Official can or do make...  Not being sarcastic, just want some links for this please... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable:
    You virtually never see forward progress taken away on a catch as clean as Faulk's in the middle of the field.  Al Michael's initially called it a first down catch and then changed the call when the ref reacted. The same ref missed Raheem Brock being in the neutral zone on both 3rd and 4th down.  If he lets the neutral zone infractions go (fine with me, let the players play) why does he get proactive and take away Faulk's forward progress? The Pats excuted the play.  The refs took it away from them.
    Posted by calilregit

I agree this is one of the strangest things in the game.  I can't think of a time when I have seen a call like that before.  If that was first, second, or third down I think the spot is different.  I think the refs knowing the magnitude of that play were trying extra hard to get the spot right, trying to take averything into account.  The result was a call that is fairly inconsistent with a typical NFL reception.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Underdogg, you are so quick to act here.  All you said could be construed as correct, but man, he has a point.  The point being Faulk caught the ball, and when he did he was an easy 2 steps from where the ball was marked.  The ref was behin Faulks back and therefore had no idea that he had possesion almost immediately after bobbling the ball and was moving laterally at the same spot on the field, then took the steps and the ball was marked almost 2 yards back. 

What gets me here is I can go one step beyond what you are saying.  The Pats offense in 07 and this year is a pussey offense, where last year, Cassell at QB, the team down the stretch at the end of the season was a machine. During 09 and 07 this team thinks Brady is so great a passer, that we don't need to run the ball.  Our offense of line gets beat up every week.  They can pass block ok, but in the trenches, the oppostion D has pushed us around way too much.  Any offensive line man will tell you he loves to block for the run.  It is smashmouth football, where pass blocking they are back on their heels. When cold weather arises like 2 years ago we were struggling in every game, Moss disappeared completely and we became a little better than avg.  Last year at the end of the season, Cassell had them looking like a SB contender, hard consistent yards up the middle always getting those tough yards, passing great, the short passes across the middle and then they would get lots of yardage after the catch which is 49er football, by far the best offense I have ever seen, and no you don't measure it by yards, TDs, the score, but it was efficient, consistent like a running game and very explosive with Montana ( He is now clearly better than Brady now as Brady's legacy is all in the past, with him not able to come back in the 4th as he used to, rarely has a long sustained drive anymore, and he gets very bothered now, a look of fear or frustration he never had before. To much success with huge leads, and when it doesn't work, he and the team gets frustrated) who never lost his cool, or got totally into throwing the long ball, or just focusing on 2 guys (Moss, Welker) as he threw screens, long, short, outs, ins etc.

Brady is so into being a great passer, he and Bellicek have forgotten what made Brady great, the Pats great.  Managing the game.  You show me a gunslinger and I will show you a QB who most likely will not win the SB, or if he does will just win one, Manning the prime example, Colts avg 13 points in his 8 playoff losses and you can't blame it on their lack of D,, Brady SB loss scred only 14 points as a gunslinger.  Great QB winners who were managers first and foremost: Starr, 5 SBs, Greise 2, Bradshaw 4, Montana 4, Aikman 3, Brady 3, Rothesberger 2, Dilfer 1, Brad Johnson 1, Hostelter 1 and those 3 stunk, Simms 1, and he could throw with the best of them, but when Parcells came, he learned to manage the game and won, and Young 1 when he began to run with a purpose, and so on.  Brady has become Manning, and he isn't running the clock in long drives the way he used to do to keep the other team off the field.  If they had done that on Sunday,  (instead had the ball at the 12 min mark, gave it up 123, and the 10 min mark about the same)  but an 8 min drive instead would have put the game out of reach, Manning off the field, and the lack of timeouts, Maroney's fumble, Brady's inerceptions, 4th and 2, all of them would have not even come up, because we had the ball when Manning needed it most, the best defense is a long sustained drive where their D gets tired, ours is rested, and the offense doesn't get tired cause it is directing the play.

So Bellecek's call was correct as much as all the blunders you saw were correct, but the smash mouth football, which all 3 SBs played is gone, Manning won one SB being tough like Brady, and Brady lost one being finesse like Manning.

Brady has stopped being the QB that made him great, come from behind wins, almost never, becaused the games are rarely close, and when the big games come which are tough and , we struggle,  we get frustrated because we feel we are invincible, where the SB era teams may win by 3, but they kicked the other teams butts all over the place, and we never felt like we were going to lose control of the game. 

Last years team had a chance to go all the way, not cause of Cassell alone, but the tough football they played, and this year and 07 they struggled and will struggle when the games get huge and cold, if they don't change this all the time passing game.

Never forget what got you here, defense and controlling the line of scrimmage!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Holding the NFL Officials accountable : You lost, you blew a 21 point lead, get over it with at least a LITTLE class. BTW, is the UN, NATO, The Girl Scouts and the NRA all algned aginst the Pats too? Just asking...
    Posted by JintsFan

JintsFan, 

Good to see you. Your presence only means that you think the Giants will win this weekend.

Does that mean you are saying they are better off not suiting up?  I thought you would agree with that. Now I know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfansyr. Show patsfansyr's posts

I didn't read through all the posts, so I oplogize if this has been brought up. Did anyone see NFL total access last night. They have a regular segment where they bring on Mike Perrara the VP of officiating and they look at a few calls made each week. They discussed the spot on the 4th down play, that guy should be a politician. They showed all the angles, which to anyone that is not blind shows that Faulk clearly bobbled it, but that he clearly regained possession beyond the 30 and then was driven back. Perrara then actually said that there was no conclusive evidence to change the spot and in his opnion the spot would have held. Then he said that if the ball had been spotted beyond the 30 and the Colts challenged the spot, he believes that spot would have held as well. The other point he made is that the ref that made the call was in the correct postition, but never mentions that he can't see the ball from that angle and praised the ref for properly giving the bobble sign.. I did not expect them to say they missed the correct spot, but after the segment I just shook my head and realized it was a CYA session..
    On another note, the entire instant replay program needs an overhaul. Shouldn't the plan be to get EVERY call right? College reviews every play if need be, sure the Pat's blew it by burning all their timeouts, but at the least use the booth review for every call inside of 5 minutes - not 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

It's very clear in this slowmo that he had possession (not bobbling) beyond the thirty and was driven back by the DB.  It was a bad spot. It was a first down.

Listen to the comments; they all agree it was a first down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZClRvZugOVU

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoochiemgg. Show hoochiemgg's posts

The Patriots learned nothing from the 2006 playoff loss. You could see this loss coming from a mile away after the Maroney fumble. Prevent defense ensued and the Colts went wild. No attempt to aggressively try to score when Pats had the ball. A virtual  redo. Now, yes the pass interference call was bogus but that was just one ingredient in the pot. BB has to take heat for this one and it all boils down to the Pats final drive. If you've got third and 2 and you have already decided that if you fail your going for it on fourth down then you have to run the football. You cannot throw an incomplete pass and allow the Colts to keep not only their timeout but the two minute warning as well. Run again on fourth and both are now gone AND two runs with two yards to go probably gets the first down anyway. Brady got about four yards on a QB sneak earlier. But if BB wasn't even contemplating his fourth down decision till after the third down incompletion(this is my assertion)then it's doubly his fault because he probably did this due to the incomplete pass and no time off the clock or time outs taken which put him in that decision making mode. This makes it seem worse to me, especially in this state of hindsight that we, as the most knowledgable football people on earth, get to enjoy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Underdogg did you watch the game? Cause you said we didnt get called not even once for PI but Darius Butler our rookie CB was called for PI in the endzone late in the game so we were called for it. Your team on the other hand again magicly made it through an entire game with out a single flag being thrown their way. Only team I know that can go 8 quarters of football with out making a single mistake that costs the team a flag. I guess the Colts are just the only perfect team to ever play the game.....orrrrrrrr the refs give them a home town disscount and thats why they never catch any flags. I am not saying it is "them out to get us" I am not one of those people I am just saying its a little fishy that the colts dont get called for anything when they play the Pats. But the Pats who normally dont get flags get all these PI called on them when we play the Colts. I am not saying its some grand scheme or anything but its deffently worth talking about.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Tas - we had at least 3 flags thrown on us in the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

LOL. The Umpire had a better view. He stayed back. No. Let's not leave it alone. They didn't get together or talk. They didn't discuss anything. You just made that up and got caught. It would have been great if the Pats did have a TO, but they didn't. The fact is that the Pats had the first down. A correct spot would have sealed the deal. Also, Manning, or whoever thinks he coaches the Colts, would have challenged the spot if it had been correct. That also would not have been overturned. The point here is that they got the spot wrong in the Colts favor.  Why would the pass rush be the ref's fault. You are now just being obtuse. You wanted to know why he didn't throw it elsewhere - I told you. He didn't have time and went with his first read.  A 50/50 call, by the rulebook, is not to be called on PI. It is actually written in there.  And you are right, every deep ball is a possible PI - if thrown by Manning. And, no, considering that the refs handed the game to the Colts, I don't think they got jobbed by any stretch. Are you actually complaining about non-calls when the refs handed you guys a win? Unbelievable. Actually, the Pats lost the game. The Colts didn't win it. The Colts don't need to improve. They have the refs.
    Posted by EnochRoot

Root, my apologies.  I thought I had remembered that other refs came up and that is where the line judge was giving the juggle motion.  I stand corrected. 

I'll ask you - Does the umpire have the authority to spot the ball?  I don't know.  But I will also tell you that the umpire may have been obstructed by Clint Session coming over.  Regardless, the umpire may not have the authority to spot the ball.

By 50/50 I meant, I could see it called and I could see it not called.  Somehow, the refs were interpretting that the pats db's handling receivers beyond 5 yards was not PI.  To me that's not 50/50 either and we did not get the benefit of those.  Could have potentially changed the game, but we don't discuss things that the pats get away with.  Not here.  We only discuss how the pats got hosed. 

The only people that handed the colts the game were those wearing pats logos. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I keep seeing references to the Pats defensive backs "manhandling" receivers again and it brings up a question -- well, an observation, really.

Most athletes will tell you that what they want from officials is consistency.
    Pitchers don't mind a small (or altered) strike zone so long as they know where it is and that it will be called consistently. NBA players recognize early if the refs are "letting them play" or calling the ticky-tack stuff and adjust accordingly.

So . . . if the officials in the Pats/Colts game were, in fact, letting the dbs play and it had been going on all game, what is the logical explanation for suddenly, as time was beginning to run out on the Colts, abandoning that strategy and arbitrarily deciding to call the game close -- thus sending the players one message for three quarters and then turning an about face and blatantly favoring the offense?

Why would an officiating crew do that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable : OK, I'll bite on this one, where do the Patriots improve? How about Tom Brady not trying to force a pass to Moss when double covered for an interception?
    Tom Brady did not force that ball.  He had no idea that Bethea was even there.  The colts D beat brady there. 

How about Maroney not fumbling on the goal line?
    This is a valid point.  As noted here this is only Maroney's second fumble.  But is that bad play or did some just happen to get a helmet on the ball?

How about the Patriots not start playing prevent defense with 10+ minutes to go in the 4th quarter?
    This isn't poor play this is a coach's decision.
    How about the Patriots continue to run their normal offense in the 4th after getting the 17 point lead, instead of clock killing when they don't have the offense, or the defense to do that right now?
    Another coach's decision.  Not poor play. 
    Underdogg, if you are honest you'll admit you remember when I said in the 4th quarter after the Pats got the 17 point lead that they needed to try and extend it, they needed a killer instinct. They didn't use the killer instinct and they lost. If they had played to their strength in the 4th quarter, by running their normal offense and trying to extend the lead, to put their foot through the Colts throat, they would surely have won the game Underdogg,
    Again - a coach's decision.  I am talking about how can the pats play better on the field. 
    I'll concede to you that I was very suprised in the first half with the amount of contact being allowed by the refs on receivers, while I didn't see any un called pass interference there were a couple of times I was surprised there wasn't any illegal contact penalties called But that only makes the call on Butler even worse.
    Not really, the refs gave the pats everything they hoped for with the way they were allowed to play at the line of scrimmage.  In the open field, it is a bit different and you cannot tell me that at the speed of the game, half the refs don't mak that downfield call on Butler.  I don't believe it. 
    Like every sport, the players adjust to the officiating during the game. How are you going to let that contact  go, on both sides, and then call that ticky tack penalty in crunch time in the 4th quarter?
    See above. 
    Underdogg, the Pats got screwed on both those late calls, if you were a fan you would agree.
    Only if I am a pats fan do I agree.  Why should the pats get the benefit of non-calls at the expense of the colts but per your comments shouldn't benefit on a 50/50 call that's made?  It's hypocritical. 
    But I'm most frustrated that the Patriots let it get to that point in the first place.  Underdogg, don't fool yourself, the Patriots were the better team on the field in that game, and I feel very sure that the Patriots will win convincingly if the Colts/Pats meet in the playoffs. 
    This could be true, but you are not giving the colts any credit here and they won the game.  The pats scored 10 points in the final 40 minutes.  In the first half the colts had drive killing pass drops and penalties (these mistakes weren't because the pats were better. these were unforced errors).  In the second half, Manning threw 2 ints that had nothing to do with pats (more unforced errors).  The truth is the pats should have won but didn't.  Your defense did not hold up and the colts defense adjusted to the big plays, the pats hit no more, and could not drive the ball.  With all of the correctable unforced errors that the colts committed, I like the colts chances in a rematch.  Plus, I expect kelvin Hayden back.
    The Patriots have a long history of getting better as the season goes on, they will surely learn and improve from this game 
    Posted by qball369

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable : What the h e ll are you talking about? Rose colored glasses? How about colt colored glasses?  You are without doubt the biggest homer on this board! You have absolutely zero objectivitity on any subject relating to the colts. 
    Posted by unclealfie

I am the voice of reason on this board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I didn't read through all the posts, so I oplogize if this has been brought up. Did anyone see NFL total access last night. They have a regular segment where they bring on Mike Perrara the VP of officiating and they look at a few calls made each week. They discussed the spot on the 4th down play, that guy should be a politician. They showed all the angles, which to anyone that is not blind shows that Faulk clearly bobbled it, but that he clearly regained possession beyond the 30 and then was driven back. Perrara then actually said that there was no conclusive evidence to change the spot and in his opnion the spot would have held. Then he said that if the ball had been spotted beyond the 30 and the Colts challenged the spot, he believes that spot would have held as well. The other point he made is that the ref that made the call was in the correct postition, but never mentions that he can't see the ball from that angle and praised the ref for properly giving the bobble sign.. I did not expect them to say they missed the correct spot, but after the segment I just shook my head and realized it was a CYA session.. On another note, the entire instant replay program needs an overhaul. Shouldn't the plan be to get EVERY call right? College reviews every play if need be, sure the Pat's blew it by burning all their timeouts, but at the least use the booth review for every call inside of 5 minutes - not 2.
    Posted by patsfansyr

Patsfan,
    I saw it and it just reinforces why I hate Perrara. They need to change the name of the show to NFL All A$$kiss. 95% of the time Perrera comes out in defense of the calls even when they are blatantly wrong.He's a human propaganda machine spun by a network owned by the NFL.

Udoggggggggggg- The Colts had the advantage of Home town officiating..That's not an excuse it's a fact and something the Pats have to overcome when we play there. 2 of those calls were indefensibly bad and you know which ones I'm speaking of. That being said I don't even really care because I , like many others expected it. We lost, the Colts are going to get home field in the Playoffs unless they fall apart and I for one have moved on. Aren't you guys playing this week too...And don't try and put any reverse whammies on the Ravens.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I keep seeing references to the Pats defensive backs "manhandling" receivers again and it brings up a question -- well, an observation, really. Most athletes will tell you that what they want from officials is consistency. Pitchers don't mind a small (or altered) strike zone so long as they know where it is and that it will be called consistently. NBA players recognize early if the refs are "letting them play" or calling the ticky-tack stuff and adjust accordingly. So . . . if the officials in the Pats/Colts game were, in fact, letting the dbs play and it had been going on all game, what is the logical explanation for suddenly, as time was beginning to run out on the Colts, abandoning that strategy and arbitrarily deciding to call the game close -- thus sending the players one message for three quarters and then turning an about face and blatantly favoring the offense? Why would an officiating crew do that?
    Posted by prairiemike

PMike - my comments are about the patriots manhandling at the line of scrimmage and beyond the 5 yard limit.  I am not suggesting they were manhandling receivers 20 yards downfield.  That's apples and oranges.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Ok folks, here's where your homerism comes in and is grating. 

You are all very quick to point to the Ellis Hobbs PI in the 06 afccg after which the league said the ref got the play wrong.  You are constantly throwing that back at the colts that the league admitted it.  So the league, in your mind, is objective enough to admit its mistake.  

This time they said that the call was not incorrect and would not have been overturned even if challenged.  And now, once again, we get the common refrain, "the league has it in for the pats and are protecting the colts".  Isn't that hypocritical? 

Isn't also hypocritical to admit that the pats may have gotten away with some things on the field but then complain when a call doesn't go the pats way?  Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Ok folks, here's where your homerism comes in and is grating.  You are all very quick to point to the Ellis Hobbs PI in the 06 afccg after which the league said the ref got the play wrong.  You are constantly throwing that back at the colts that the league admitted it.  So the league, in your mind, is objective enough to admit its mistake.   This time they said that the call was not incorrect and would not have been overturned even if challenged.  And now, once again, we get the common refrain, "the league has it in for the pats and are protecting the colts".  Isn't that hypocritical?  Isn't also hypocritical to admit that the pats may have gotten away with some things on the field but then complain when a call doesn't go the pats way?  Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
    Posted by underdoggg

Not only do we want have our cake and eat it too, but we want to dump yours on the floor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable : Not only do we want have our cake and eat it too, but we want to dump yours on the floor.
    Posted by prairiemike

And I think you should want that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

The Patriots learned nothing from the 2006 playoff loss. You could see this loss coming from a mile away after the Maroney fumble. Prevent defense ensued and the Colts went wild. No attempt to aggressively try to score when Pats had the ball. A virtual  redo. Now, yes the pass interference call was bogus but that was just one ingredient in the pot. BB has to take heat for this one and it all boils down to the Pats final drive. If you've got third and 2 and you have already decided that if you fail your going for it on fourth down then you have to run the football. You cannot throw an incomplete pass and allow the Colts to keep not only their timeout but the two minute warning as well. Run again on fourth and both are now gone AND two runs with two yards to go probably gets the first down anyway. Brady got about four yards on a QB sneak earlier. But if BB wasn't even contemplating his fourth down decision till after the third down incompletion(this is my assertion)then it's doubly his fault because he probably did this due to the incomplete pass and no time off the clock or time outs taken which put him in that decision making mode. This makes it seem worse to me, especially in this state of hindsight that we, as the most knowledgable football people on earth, get to enjoy.
    Posted by hoochiemgg

this about sums it up, yes the Pats got jobbed on a few calls but there was more than ample opportunity to overcome it.  i think the point about running on 3rd down was under-discussed.  if Coach had it in his mind that it was 4 down territory, you have to run on 3rd down, for the reasons mentioned above.  you want to pass on 3rd down?  fine.  but the punt on 4th and play defense if you don't get it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I know it kills you guys, but the refs didn't take this one from the Pats.  Sure, there were some close calls that went against the team, but that's almost always the case.  How often are there games without close calls?  The fact is: the Colts drove the ball 70 yards on their next-to-last drive for a TD, and then 29 yards for a TD while using up 1:45 of the final two minutes.  The Pats were unable to get a TD or use much of a clock on the drive the Colts gave them the ball @ about the Colt 35, and then couldn't get a single first down in four tries on the imfamous drive.  If the Pats would have done ANYTHING AT ALL on any of these four drives, they would have won the game.  But, I'm sure you'd all rather believe the refs stole the game because of a grand NFL conspiracy that involves every referee in the league.  lol.
    Posted by JulesWinfield

The fact is that 70 yard Colts drive hinged on a bogus pass interference call. It's a standard Manning Colts trick to heave the ball down field and have the receiver jump into the defender no matter where the ball is coming down. It always results in a call. Until the refs deny Manning this little ploy he will always use it down the stretch and get away with it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable : The fact is that 70 yard Colts drive hinged on a bogus pass interference call. It's a standard Manning Colts trick to heave the ball down field and have the receiver jump into the defender no matter where the ball is coming down. It always results in a call. Until the refs deny Manning this little ploy he will always use it down the stretch and get away with it.
    Posted by Evil2009

I was kind of thinking the same thing with the way Belichick has his dbs play against the colts.

Until the refs deny the dbs and Belichick this little ploy of jamming receivers off the line and beyond 5 yards (as they did in the game), they will always use it and get away with it. 

The Manning / Belichick chess match continues.  Two Grand Masters for sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable : I was kind of thinking the same thing with the way Belichick has his dbs play against the colts. Until the refs deny the dbs and Belichick this little ploy of jamming receivers off the line and beyond 5 yards (as they did in the game), they will always use it and get away with it.  The Manning / Belichick chess match continues.  Two Grand Masters for sure.
    Posted by underdoggg

U-doggg..The Colts don't so that??? You gotta be kidding me..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Holding the NFL Officials accountable : U-doggg..The Colts don't so that??? You gotta be kidding me..
    Posted by ewhite1065

Come on now, e -- you know the Colts have never commited a legitimate infraction in the Manning era.

What are you thinking?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

e - bumping at the line is not typical of the colts.  CBs generally play back and off the line of scrimmage.  Regardless, it was an evident piece of the pats game plan.  This is no different than the game plan Belichick employed in the 04 afccg that Polian complained about. 

But really that is not the point.  The point is that the pats got away with calls, too.  There were the dbs working receivers more than 5 yds beyond the LOS.  There was a clear hold on Welker's long punt return that was not called.  There was at least one Vollmer hold on Freeney that was not called.  The complaints about the calls that the colts got suggest that the pats never benefit from the refs.  That is not true.  

Sections
Shortcuts