Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets

Tex is right. Super Bowls are always won in March and April. Just look at the last 5 SB champions, its been the off-season big name free agent signings in March and April that led to their emediate success in that commng season's playoffs and evenual SB championchips.

Jets over the Skins in this year's SB and you can take that to the bank!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets:
    Tex is right. Super Bowls are always won in March and April. Just look at the last 5 SB champions, its been the off-season big name free agent signings in March and April that led to their emediate success in that commng season's playoffs and evenual SB championchips. Jets over the Skins in this year's SB and you can take that to the bank!
    Posted by bobomul

You're like Nero fiddling while Rome is burning. Be careful that you don't drown in the Koolaid, Bobo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Jets moves all that great? They've done a good job drafting overall, but I wouldn't put them above the Pats at all. Last year was about spending on guaranteed talent, and they did well.  This year it's been more about bringing in high risk / high reward guys, or guys with names. 

Shonn Green has shown flashes.  He was supposed to be the feature back last year, but took a back seat.  He's still unproven. Washington is a good role player - right now all he costs is a 3rd rounder.  There's no guarantee he returns.  Letting Thomas go and picking up LT were horrible moves.

Revis and Harris were great moves, not so Gholston.  Sanchez...Who knows? He's got the tools and the RBs have taken a step back.  Sanchez will have his chance, no doubt.

Jenkins was very good while healthy and that is an issue now.  

I like Edwards no question.  Cro is very much a question mark.  He's a porous tackler and had issues in coverage for SD albeit he's a ball hawk.  He claims to like to play m-m.  We'll see, the Jets will give him that chance.  He still replacing a decent corner, and they let Rhodes a good S go.  (I'm not seeing a net positive here regardless.) Holmes is probably the biggest risk/reward guy out there... I think he's just a bad guy - a drug dealer, substance abuse, domestic abuse, assult. - not pretty at all.

Tomlinson and Taylor are big splash signings (assuming Taylor signs) with little left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Moss is the deep threat this year.  Boldin catches mid-short range passes and had tons of YAC.  Not quite the same as Welker, but he's not a deep threat.  Marshall could be the deep threat going forward. Well Boldin would have cost a second rounder. Niether of us is is Kraft or BB and neither knows what the Pats brain trust thinks of him.  Pittsburgh was prepared to dump Holmes for nada.  He's a dingaling  beyond Marshall and many others. Denver will get at least a 2nd rounder for Marshall.  
    Posted by croc

So much for Brandon Marshall...now a Dolphin. Considering that the Pats have three 2nd rounders and let Marshal slide...I guess we now know what the Pats brain thrust thinks of him.

Marshall is a much greater risk than Santonio Holmes. The Dolphins not only invested the 43rd overall pick this year and next years' 2nd round pick...but they'll have to sign Marshall to a lucrative extension. Meanwhile, all the Jets had to invest for Holmes was a 5th round pick.

Good deal for Denver: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/04/miami-dolphins-finalizing-trade-for-brandon-marshall.html 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

TP - I don't disagree with your assessment, but I think Marshall was worth the picks.  He's a game changer.

How do you know that either the pats inquired about Marshall or the broncos contacted the pats about him.  Marshall may not have been an opportunity for the pats.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP - I don't disagree with your assessment, but I think Marshall was worth the picks.  He's a game changer.

RESPONSE: No question about Marshall's talent. But, he's a cl;assic case of  body by Fisher, brains by Mattel. Parting with the picks is only part of the risk. The 'Fins will have to pay him big bucks, too. 

How do you know that either the pats inquired about Marshall or the broncos contacted the pats about him.  Marshall may not have been an opportunity for the pats.

RESPONSE: If the Pats wanted him, they had the ammunition to get him. Bob Kraft doesn't have tolerance for women abusers. In 1996, Kraft and the Patriots took a lot of heat for drafting Nebraska DT Christian Peter. Peter had charges on him for an attempted rape. Soon after drafting him, the Patriots released him. I don't think that Kraft has ever forgotten that:  http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/5932, and http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/45423
    Posted by underdoggg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

it seems the pats are in a rebuilding mode.for they are doing nothing to compete for a championship this year.oh as many put,there is the draft.well how many of those picks will we use this year,and how many get traded for picks next year?the ones that are used this year,will be added youth to what we have,and we are talking a few years before the pats can contend for a championship.yes we have brady,and BB.but they cant do it themselves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

it seems the pats are in a rebuilding mode.for they are doing nothing to compete for a championship this year.oh as many put,there is the draft.well how many of those picks will we use this year,and how many get traded for picks next year?the ones that are used this year,will be added youth to what we have,and we are talking a few years before the pats can contend for a championship.yes we have brady,and BB.but they cant do it themselves.
    Posted by Vladtheimpaler1

I'm not sure that the addition of one good WR would have made the Pats SB contenders. They have too many holes. Unless they have a dynamite draft this year, and their younger players begin to step it up, this team will continue to  decline.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Marshall is a much greater risk than Santonio Holmes. The Dolphins not only invested the 43rd overall pick this year and next years' 2nd round pick...but they'll have to sign Marshall to a lucrative extension. Meanwhile, all the Jets had to invest for Holmes was a 5th round pick.

and money. 

Marshall though is much greater reward.  I have to believe that Tuna has some assurances Marshall will turn his act around for this type of comitment.  I'd call this potentially a great move for both teams.  Denver has several high picks, and Miami fills their greatest need with the best talent available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

...and money.

RESPONSE: Not so. The Jets only gave up a 5th rounder to rent Holmes for the 2010 season. They'll get to evaluate him as the season unwinds...before they have to decide on whether they want to keep him. If the Jets cut him loose...all they ventured was the 155th selection, in exchange for one season from a pro-bowl caliber WR. 

Marshall though is much greater reward.  I have to believe that Tuna has some assurances Marshall will turn his act around for this type of comitment.  I'd call this potentially a great move for both teams.  Denver has several high picks, and Miami fills their greatest need with the best talent available.

RESPONSE: How do you know? Surely you have to admit that giving up two 2nd rounders in exchange for an extremely talented head case is a high risk proposition. Even if the 'Fins get some assurances through contract language that he'll behave, what happens if/when he doesn't? Sure, they might be able to cut some of their financial obligations...but they'll never be able to retrieve those draft choices.

Posted by croc

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

In Response to Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets :      I'm not sure that the addition of one good WR would have made the Pats SB contenders. They have too many holes. Unless they have a dynamite draft this year, and their younger players begin to step it up, this team will continue to  decline.
    Posted by TexasPat3
    I hear you,a receiver is just one of many needs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dunnieboy. Show Dunnieboy's posts

wes welker had 123 catches 1348 yards and 4 Tds(holmes cant even hold a candle to that production even with 1 more Td) randy moss caught only 4 more passes than santonio for 1264 yrds and 13 tds!!!!... he's not holding a candle to anyone
    Posted by 81pats12

This post is just plain funny ... so funny I had to respond to it. You must be forgetting that the JETS have Braylon Edwards, Jericho Cotchery and Dustin Keller to take the pressure off Holmes ... he will thrive. Oh yeah ... not to mention Tomlinson coming out of the backfield ... oh yeah ... who are your corners again .. I forget ... ours are name Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie ... good luck Pats ... you will need it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

what you meant to say was....Holmes steals a jet and is now dealing with prosecutors....much closer to reality this way....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Ted Ginn trade serves to  further underscore what a steal of a deal getting Holmes was for the Jets. The Greenies only had to part with the 155th overall pick to land Holmes, while the 49ers surrendered the 145th overall pick to land Ginn.

You have to wonder whether, as the Steelers claim, they sought out offers before unloading Holmes to the Jets. My guess is that they simply wanted him gone...even if they had to cut him. Clearly, such an emotional move was detrimental to their team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Ginn never dealt drugs, beat his GF, threw a glass at someone or was suspended for substance abuse.  He was merely miscast by the Phins 'brain trust' at that time, and was let go to create space for Marshall. Holmes is human excrement with talent. Clearly the Steelers have enough to deal with in Roethlisberger, let alone this trash.

Sections
Shortcuts