Holt placed on IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Holt placed on IR

Ian R. Rapoport RapSheet Patriots place WR Torry Holt on season-ending IR. Also release Ross Vemtone: sign WR Buddy Farnham and OL Brian Simmons
  2. New England Patriots realpatriots Patriots sign WR Buddy Farnham and OL Brian Simmons; place WR Torry Holt on IR (knee) and waive DB Ross Ventrone. #fb

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Holt placed on IR

I wonder if this is the Patriots way of paying him instead of releasing him.......

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I guess that takes care of one decision the fast way. I'm glad we have depth there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

WOW, Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Holt placed on IR:
    I guess that takes care of one decision the fast way. I'm glad we have depth there.
    Posted by ewhite1065

We did have depth. HOF route running depth. I actually think he must have been injured. Otherwise we could cut him and keep him near the phone like we have in the past. Or cut him and gave him the option to get on another team. Bummer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Not one bit suprised here!  At least Galloway got on the FIELD! - I was on the side of bringing TO in here for a 1 yr deal - TOO late now. 

Any other guys we can pick up so they are OUT for season too? My GOD

Not one bit suprised here!  At least Galloway got on the FIELD! - I was on the side of bringing TO in here for a 1 yr deal - TOO late now.  Any other guys we can pick up so they are OUT for season too? My GOD
    Posted by NOISE

What are you surprised about? You knew Holt was going to be injured and you thought this was a bad signing? What other guys have we picked up who are out for the season?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Holt was veteran depth and leader ship as a slot WR while Wes was on the PUP but Wes is superman... I do not think this means Holt was a bad signing..., it just means that we do not need him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Terrell Owens would have been nice.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Nothing more then a nice way of the Pats saying you would have never made the team. Welker back and Tate and Price are locks with Edelman and Moss and Aiken niche is speacial teams and wr he would have never played...........I like the make up of this team...............

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't see a problem as I actually think that Edelman is the #2 or #3 rceiver at this point in time. If Welker is healthy for the opener then Edelman just moves to the WR position and Welker plays the SR. Farnham was having a good camp,though he is another SR... Moss,Welker,Edelman,Tate,Price,Aiken and add Farnham to the mix...I don't know anything about Simmons so I can't say what value the signing has in regards to his ability or the teams needs. I think it is safe to say that Mankins is done as a Patriot and maybe as an NFL player.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Big upgrade over Galloway.  Nice job, Bill.  You've shown us all again.
    Posted by PhatRex

The Pats WRs will run circles around the Jets.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan1033. Show Patsfan1033's posts

Aiken's terrible...I'd keep Darnell Jenkins over that guy for sure, better speed, hands and much younger. Don't give me the argument Aiken's a ST monster; watch him, he gets beat constantly trying to block and can't tackle!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Shocking that an old guy got hurt.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

oh well, he gave it a shot

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This really stinks.  I was hoping Holt had one last go in him and BB thinking that too.

I would have liked to seen holt line up as the #2 just to have that vet experience in there. 

BTW, there is no way Edelman is the #2 as someone else mentioned.  While he is the #3 filling in for Welker, Wes will take that over when he returns.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Holt placed on IR : They all can't turn out as good as Galloway. 
    Posted by PhatRex

LOL, yeah. the part that sux is they wasted a signing on him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

hes on IR becuase of arthritis
    lets continue the pats' youth movement please... 

Holt did more for this team then Galloway did, his mentoring to the young guys was far more valuable then the pathetic show Galloway put on on the field.
    Posted by FishTaco64

How do you know? -lol.

In Response to Re: Holt placed on IR : What are you surprised about? You knew Holt was going to be injured and you thought this was a bad signing? What other guys have we picked up who are out for the season?
    Posted by TrueChamp

C'mon True Champ - you really thought Holt was going to come here and light it up like he did with St L?? The guy is OLD and on the 'cheap'.  NO, I didn't know he was going to be INJURED, NO-one does! but I'm NO I'm not suprised at the fact he is already out for the year.  When they signed Holt - yes, I did think it was a BAD signing at the time because his chances of lasting 16 games I thought wasn't good!  Nothing against Holt - he was a great player, key word, was.  I wish he did work out here - believe me I do.  Hopefully the Rookies and TE's work out and hopefully TATE really works out opposite Moss - we need this more than ever.

Uhm, the Pats just picked UP a Guy from Denver (Josh Barrett) - who already needs season ending surgery.  So there is the other guy we picked up who is out for the season. (You asked).

I think they should look on the other side of the ball as in Aaron Schobel to help the D Unit out. 

In Response to Re: Holt placed on IR : C'mon True Champ - you really thought Holt was going to come here and light it up like he did with St L?? The guy is OLD and on the 'cheap'.  NO, I didn't know he was going to be INJURED, NO-one does! but I'm NO I'm not suprised at the fact he is already out for the year.  When they signed Holt - yes, I did think it was a BAD signing at the time because his chances of lasting 16 games I thought wasn't good!  Nothing against Holt - he was a great player, key word, was.  I wish he did work out here - believe me I do.  Hopefully the Rookies and TE's work out and hopefully TATE really works out opposite Moss - we need this more than ever. Uhm, the Pats just picked UP a Guy from Denver (Josh Barrett) - who already needs season ending surgery.  So there is the other guy we picked up who is out for the season. (You asked). I think they should look on the other side of the ball as in Aaron Schobel to help the D Unit out. 
    Posted by NOISE

First: 6/9/2008
    Last: 8/15/2010

"Not one bit suprised here!  At least Galloway got on the FIELD! - I was on the side of bringing TO in here for a 1 yr deal - TOO late now. 

Any other guys we can pick up so they are OUT for season too? My GOD"

David Barret was signed knowing he was injured and required surgery. The Pats signed him anyway. Your post makes it sound like the Pats are signing guys left and right who are out for the season. Holt is the 1st significant FA injury to happen at all.

Nobody thinks Holt was going to "Light it up" but the fact is he's the same age as Moss and has had a similar career. One of the better wr's to ever play the game with good longevity. Of course he has lost a step but after playing with two of the worst passing starting QBs in the last 3 years we really didn't know how good he could still be. Certainly playing with a QB as accurate as Brady would have helped Holt.

I don't think 40-50 catches as solid possession receiver is out of the question and for 1.7 mil that is well worth the risk. His loss also does not help the "Leadership" department along with Ty Warrens. Two guys with Rings and playoff experience to guide the youngsters.

Anyway I think we have good young receivers in Julian, Tate, Gronk, Hernandez and Price. This just puts more pressure on them to perform. We would be better off with Holt on this offense, at least the 1st half of the year until a young buck was ready to take the wheel.

• Sections
    Shortcuts