Homers and Haters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

Re: Homers and Haters

pats all around good team , could win every year, if anyone has choked in payoffs since last superbowl victory i would have to pick brady , if you wanted you could blame welker too!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

...I laugh at the people here who complain about BB drafts, decision making, who he brings in FA, why he doesn't spend to the CAP...and all sorts of criticism. When the bottom line is the results year in and year out, people here wants the pats to reach the SB every year and win it too.  

It's so hard to win games, let alone become a dynasty.

The Patriots were 29th in pass defense last season...and that's with Aqib Talib for half a season. Gee...I wonder why the Pats got crushed by the Ravens on their home field in the play-offs. But, what does that matter? It's all good. In Bill We Trust, in all things: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

Mercy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

...I laugh at the people here who complain about BB drafts, decision making, who he brings in FA, why he doesn't spend to the CAP...and all sorts of criticism. When the bottom line is the results year in and year out, people here wants the pats to reach the SB every year and win it too.  

The Patriots were 29th in pass defense last season...and that's with Aqib Talib for half a season. Gee...I wonder why the Pats got crushed by the Ravens on their home field in the play-offs. But, what does that matter? It's all good. In Bill We Trust, in all things: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

Mercy.

There's one key stat there missing, Points allowed, they were 9th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mercy.

In 2011, the Patriots were 31st in pass defense and if they had executed a couple of plays better they would have been world champions.

I agree it's been an ongoing issue but it's not as critical as some make it out to be. The 32nd ranked pass defense finished 15-1. The 29th ranked pass defense won the super bowl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

And the "key stats" you're missing is that the Ravens scored 28 points against the Pats on their home field, as Joe Flacco threw 3 TD passes (no picks) in a 28-13 thrashing of the Pats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330120017 

BB is a great coach, and can camouflage and improvise his way through the regular season, with a "bend but don't break" style of defense. But, in the playoffs, the Pats' weaknesses get exposed by the better teams. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

In 2011, the Patriots were 31st in pass defense and if they had executed a couple of plays better they would have been world champions.

RESPONSE: True. But, let's face it, the Pats were lucky to get by the Ravens in the AFC title game. Had Lee Evans held onto that perfect Flacco throw, the Pats would have lost. And...had Billy Condiff not chanked a chip-shot FG, they might also have lost in OT. Finally, as they did in SB 42, the Pats' "D"could stop Eli Manning on a last minute drive...costing them a championship.

I agree it's been an ongoing issue but it's not as critical as some make it out to be. The 32nd ranked pass defense finished 15-1. The 29th ranked pass defense won the super bowl.

RESPONSE: You're referring to the Packers, who finished 15-1 in 2011, but got humiliated by the NY Giants on the "frozen tundra", 37-20, as Eli Manning ripped them up with 330 yards passing, and 3 TDs...the same fate as the 2012 Pats suffered at the hands of the Ravens. Again, against the better teams in the play-offs, weaknesses get exposed and exploited: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320115009

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Mercy.

in 2012 Ravens ranked 17th in pass defense, 10th in rush defense, 12th in pts. against and 3rd in takeaway/giveaway. I have no idea why, but they beat us last year....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

And the "key stats" you're missing is that the Ravens scored 28 points against the Pats on their home field, as Joe Flacco threw 3 TD passes (no picks) in a 28-13 thrashing of the Pats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330120017 

BB is a great coach, and can camouflage and improvise his way through the regular season, with a "bend but don't break" style of defense. But, in the playoffs, the Pats' weaknesses get exposed by the better teams. 

In 2007 the pats had one of the greatest teams of all time, they had a great offense, a good defense, good specials teams. They lost to an inferior team when you rank them head to head, why? Because the other team had some BOUNCES go their way (luck) and executed better than the pats. The pats were playing a good game in last year AFCCG, then Talib went down, Welker had another big drop, Brady didn't play to his expected level. They didn't score in the second half, Flacco had all they to sit back, scan the field, drink gatorade, call his mom,wife,friends,his gm about that contract and then hit Boldin for big gains. We've been in the other side of those bounces too, it's all about how well do you EXECUTE, talent can only take you so far, but without good execution nothing else matters.

We've been out-coached, out-executed, in the biggest games, is as simple as that. Is that a knock on BB the greatest coach of all time? Why put the blame on BB the GM and not BB the coach? BB's teams from 2007-present have been a dominant Offensive team, why not start there when we start to point fingers? The D to their credit have played better than expectation in some of the games, they just couldn't close it out..just like that amazing team of '07.

Execution my friend, execution beats talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

We've been out-coached, out-executed, in the biggest games, is as simple as that. Is that a knock on BB the greatest coach of all time? Why put the blame on BB the GM and not BB the coach? BB's teams from 2007-present have been a dominant Offensive team, why not start there when we start to point fingers? The D to their credit have played better than expectation in some of the games, they just couldn't close it out..just like that amazing team of '07.

Absolutely.  People don't give enough credit to the Ravens, 49ers, and Giants for beating the Patriots. The losses sure aren't due to one player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Mercy.

Ouch!  Slapped!

WHy did you make a good point like this, but then say that BB wants to entertain his ego by taking lesser talent to show what  a great coach he is?

I was being sarcastic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

in 2012 Ravens ranked 17th in pass defense, 10th in rush defense, 12th in pts. against and 3rd in takeaway/giveaway. I have no idea why, but they beat us last year....

In 2012 the 49ers ranked 4th in pass defense, 4th in rush defense, 2th in pts. against and 8th in takeaway/giveaway yet they lost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In 2012 the 49ers ranked 4th in pass defense, 4th in rush defense, 2th in pts. against and 8th in takeaway/giveaway yet they lost.

touche...lol.  Stats become pretty meaningless in a one game playoff. Can I use the physical beats finesse angle? Laughing or, lady luck?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

touche...lol.  Stats become pretty meaningless in a one game playoff. Can I use the physical beats finesse angle? Laughing or, lady luck?

(In my best BB voice) We need to draft better, we need to play better and we need to coach better. Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Mercy.

Maybe because they only scored 13 points at home and they lost Talib and Jones?

Not saying they would have won the game with Talib and Jones, but take away any team's best corner and pass rusher, and you'll see a big effect.

Obviously.

I could see if we lost a close game with our offense doing anything of substance past the 1st qtr, but that was not the case.

BRADY

And GronkGronk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

(In my best BB voice) We need to draft better, we need to play better and we need to coach better. Laughing

yes, but the smiley face detracts from BB's scowl or unemotional face...lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

No one is saying that stats alone determine who wins. But, as was the case with the 2012 Pats (ranked 29th in pass defense) and the 2011 Packers (ranked 32nd in pass defense)...their inability to defend against the pass was their Achilles heel in the play-offs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Perhaps the best way to end this discussion on BB's drafts from 2006-present is to browse over this recent article by Mike Reiss. I have taken the liberty to responding to some of his thoughts, in bold black:  

Instant analysis: CB Dowling cut August, 28, 2013 Aug 28 5:20 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

When explaining a shaky performance by a player, Bill Belichick sometimes will say something along the lines of, "I'm sure there's a play or two he'd like to have back."

One could say the same thing about personnel decisions, and the Patriots' release of cornerback Ras-I Dowling on Wednesday falls into that category.

Dowling was selected 33rd overall in the 2011 NFL draft, the top pick of the second round. Naturally, a team hopes to get more than two years, nine games and two starts out of a fringe first-round pick.

As we look back on some of the players selected in that range that year, Browns defensive end/outside linebacker Jabaal Sheard (37th, Browns) and Texans defensive end/outside linebacker Brooks Reed (42nd, Texans) are two names that stand out as players who we liked at the time that, and as time has passed, we can now say would have been better picks for New England.

Obviously, that type of second-guessing can be played with any selection so it's not entirely fair. And the Patriots couldn't have predicted how injuries would derail Dowling's development;   RESPONSE: I respectfully beg to differ here, Mike. It was well known that Dowling had a history of being injury prone throughout his college days, at Virginia Tech. But, as he often does, BB relied on the recommendation of one of his coaching pals, Al Groh, and took a huge gamble. Sorry...but I don't believe that a GM should take that kind of a gamble on a guy who is a fringe first round pick.    some believed had he entered the draft the year prior, he might have been a first-round pick (ideal size and speed).   for multiple reasons, this is one the Patriots would like to have back.

In 2010, they had swung a deal with the Carolina Panthers in which they shipped a third-round pick (89th overall) in exchange for a 2011 second-round pick. That second-round pick ended up being 33rd overall (Dowling), meaning they improved 56 spots by waiting one year to make a selection.

The Patriots were widely praised by that deal, especially after the Panthers selected little-known Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State.   RESPONSE: a great trade by BB...one of his very best.

But today's cut of Dowling serves as a reminder that even though draft-day trades can look good when they are made, it still comes down to selecting the right player.   RESPONSE: And this is where BB has, far too many times, missed the mark. Such a high draft choice is a terrible thing to waste: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4747486/instant-analysis-cb-dowling-cut

In closing, there's this: "I'm not going to sit here and list all of the players that were still on the board that the Patriots could have had at 33; I find that kind of 20/20 hindsight completely pointless and nobody really knows whether or not a player will be able to hack it in the NFL out of college. But for a team that was known to trade up and down the draft board at will and acquire solid value while stockpiling future draft picks, that they selected an injury-prone cornerback who has yet to play a full season since 2008 with one of the most valuable picks of the 2011 draft is about as un-Belichickian as it gets. There have been busts in the past, of course, but this one is decidedly different. Belichick had a full 24 hours to sit on this pick. I'm sure he had offers coming in left and right for it. There were plenty of options as to what he could do. He opted to forego all of those and take a corner who has thus far accomplishedonly slightly more than me so far in his NFL career." http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/10/26/3559960/ras-i-dowling-time-for-the-b-word        

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not that hard. Inherit a great defensive core and get lucky in the 6th round, and presto-chango, a dynasty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mercy.

We've scored 14 ppg in our last 2 SB's and last years home afc championship game. Is that good enough to win championships in this league?

When is the last time a team won the Super Bowl when scoring under 15 points?

What's more important pass defense or points scored?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In 2007 the pats had one of the greatest teams of all time, they had a great offense, a good defense, good specials teams. They lost to an inferior team when you rank them head to head, why? Because the other team had some BOUNCES go their way (luck) and executed better than the pats. The pats were playing a good game in last year AFCCG, then Talib went down, Welker had another big drop, Brady didn't play to his expected level. They didn't score in the second half, Flacco had all they to sit back, scan the field, drink gatorade, call his mom,wife,friends,his gm about that contract and then hit Boldin for big gains. We've been in the other side of those bounces too, it's all about how well do you EXECUTE, talent can only take you so far, but without good execution nothing else matters.

I've asked this question before. There is no answer. BB has lost more assistant coaches then any coach in the league. It has a negative effect on your execution, and imo more so in the post season(the clutch).

If all of your coaches are not thinking the same things in the crunch time of playoff games then you don't execute. You send out 12 men in the huddle, jump off sides on defense, throw 30 yard passes to your 5ft7 slot receiver on 2nd down with a lead in the SB with a only a few minutes left even though your offense has one of the worst completion % in the NFL of passes over 20 yards.

Things like that happen when great head coaches lose great coordinators who went through battles and won championships.

The guy buying the groceries is the same, but the chefs have changed, and now the food doesn't taste the same. Who do you blame?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Not that hard. Inherit a great defensive core and get lucky in the 6th round, and presto-chango, a dynasty.

Dan Marino arrived in Miami in 1983, he landed on a team (inherited) the 2nd best defense in the league, they ranked #1 in yards and #2 in Points allowed in 82'.  They were #1 in 1983 coincidentally...

Presto chango, one Super Bowl appearance and no rings...

Marino also inherited the winningest coach of all time, their running game was top five... what happened?  Where does this Colin Cowherdesque baloney argument fly off the tracks, the moment you made the ridiculous assertion that somebody could win a single Super Bowl by being lucky... the funny part, you're talking about a guy who has been to five and won three with his current team. 

If he wins another this year and/or the next... what then?  He drafted Brady, Brady likely would have gone undrafted and Belichick would have signed him as an UDFA, he'd still be lucky then huh?  I can't believe you can blast Rusty for the same flight of fancy he has blaming Brady, both are equal parts horse manure.

It's hard to win a ring, Belichick has spoiled a lot of you, and you all resent him for it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Dolphins D by points:

1. 1983 1st
    2. 1984 7th
    3. 1985 12th
    4. 1986 26th
    5. 1987 16th
    6. 1988 24th
    7. 1989 22nd

Well, you get the idea

No, I don't, you must not be bright enough to understand my response to Babe.  

Hold your breathe for 30 minutes and then post again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Even luck doesn't come around that often, hence why there hasn't been another 6th round hall of fame QB in what 14 years? Like I said, it takes more than just being lucky and talented, it's how you execute.

Sections
Shortcuts