Homers/Ostrich Society Members, Take Heed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

Re: Homers/Ostrich Society Members, Take Heed

TexasPat is rusty

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NE, IMO, is not the most talented team in the NFL -- too many Jags on the defense and offensive line. And NE's special teams overall are mediocre to poor IMO, espceially the return game which almost never contributes these last few seasons. People will bludgeon me for this, for sure, but they just are not in my opinion. 

The Packers, when healthy, have more talent, imo. The Broncos are at least on par now that they have Manning. And the 49ers have at least as much total talent. Each of these teams have talent that is spread into different areas, the Broncos, Pats, and Packers being offensively gifted, and the 49ers being a real defensive team. 

The Pats certainly have some of, if not the best coaching. I think that is a huge edge. 

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I find the honesty refreshing.  I agree by the way.  On offense, I think Brady is in the top three (Rogers and Manning are both up there with him), TEs are probably best in the league (though Hern is looking less good recently), RBs have shaped up nicely and are probably top quarter or top third of the league, WRs are maybe above average (but drop off precipitously after Lloyd and Welker), and OL is spotty this year.  On defense, I'd say there's a big drop off after Wilfork and Mayo and maybe Jones.  Lots of JAGs on the line, though they do pretty good as a unit, mostly because they are smart and well coached.  LBs are good against the run, but weak in pass coverage. DBs have been terrible for the past few years, but look a lot better with Talib and Dennard at corner and with McCourty at safety.  Still this is a middle of the pack defense talentwise in my opinion. (Last year it was near the bottom, though).  

Special teams, I like the kick coverage, but not the kick return game.  Like the punter and think the placekicker is in the top third.  

Great coaching makes up for weaknesses in talent and then some, though . . .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TP - where have I EVER said the Pats are the BEST team in the league, week in and week out being blind to their faults?

RESPONSE: Err...is your name Wozzy?? That post was directed to him, in reponse to what he said. But, while we're on the topic, I do think that the Patriots are the best team in the NFL, this season. Don't you? If not, who is better? 

I simply support the team week in and week out, win or lose.

RESPONSE: How sweet...and how cowardly non-commital. Do you think that the Patriots are the best team in the league this season? Yes or No? If no, who is better?

What I find amazing are folks like you who have placed this bar up in the heavens on this team and if they do not jump high enough to suit your expectations, you slam the team.  It is not like the rest of the league is down on one knee to the Pats every week. 

RESPONSE: The Pats have the most talent overall, the best coach in NFL history, and one of the best QBs in NFL history. Don't you agree? This being the case, there's no excuse for not taking home the Lombardi this season. STOP with the excuses!! If the Pats' don't win it all this year, they underachieved. YES...expectations are high. That's what goes along with being a great team. Great things are expected. 

[/QUOTE]

You actually responded directly to me as there was nothing in your response which pointed to Wozzy.

As for your question about the Pats being the best in the league right now, I'd say yes as their offense can't be stopped by anyone when it is clicking on all cylinders, especially when it is quite healthy now, and the D proved in the Dolphins game, against a team playing well lately, they can shut a team down.  Granted, they weren't facing a Manning or a Rodgers.  As for expectations, of course they are high given this team's makeup and all good teams in this catagory are expected to succeed at a high level.  But, don't go sour on them so quickly, as you are apt to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Defense Wins Championships....simple.

[/QUOTE]

Not anymore. Offense does. Offensive era.  Goodell served it up.

I don't like it either, but it's the truth.

[/QUOTE]

Then explain the last two Patriot SB defeats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Defense Wins Championships....simple.

[/QUOTE]

Not anymore. Offense does. Offensive era.  Goodell served it up.

I don't like it either, but it's the truth.

[/QUOTE]

Then explain the last two Patriot SB defeats.

[/QUOTE] If the Pats D had held, then the offense won it for them late.  Granted, not by the margins we would have expected!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of the article this post is aimed at poking a stick in somebodies eye.  It could have been done differently but ah...this is how the board is now.  The straight out exagerations and lies said in this thread alone shows you where this board is going and is not going to get better any time soon. 

[/QUOTE]

Happy New Year, Gary!

Sadly Gary, you're right. But, I'm just sick and tired of these whinny, gutless homers. They sit back, and hope for the best. If anyone dares criticize the Pats, they attack them personally. They are cowards, because they fear to take a position.  

You've been posting about as long as I have, here. What's it been, almost 10 years? How many good posters have been driven off by these idiots? 

And a happy new year to you to TxPat!

Things have gotten a little crazy here.  If you do criticize something you will become a BB, Brady or some kind a hater.  That's what I mean about exaggerate.  It all started with the defense last year and then really went crazy after Brady and the SB.

It's been a while now hasn't it.  But you are right.  A lot of the old posters have gone and may come in here to see what's going on from time to time but don't post.  I've cut down quite a lot, I know that. 

Maybe a SB win will calm things down for a bit around here but I doubt that.  There's a lot of bad blood going on between posters now.  Even you who I thought was untouchable because you've been here so long with great no nonsense posts.  I just wish you could have avoided this one.  But you've been attacked.  I've seen it a number of times.  It's like nobody knows what a critique is.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally, I find the honesty refreshing.  I agree by the way.  On offense, I think Brady is in the top three (Rogers and Manning are both up there with him), TEs are probably best in the league (though Hern is looking less good recently), RBs have shaped up nicely and are probably top quarter or top third of the league, WRs are maybe above average (but drop off precipitously after Lloyd and Welker), and OL is spotty this year.  On defense, I'd say there's a big drop off after Wilfork and Mayo and maybe Jones.  Lots of JAGs on the line, though they do pretty good as a unit, mostly because they are smart and well coached.  LBs are good against the run, but weak in pass coverage. DBs have been terrible for the past few years, but look a lot better with Talib and Dennard at corner and with McCourty at safety.  Still this is a middle of the pack defense talentwise in my opinion. (Last year it was near the bottom, though).  

Special teams, I like the kick coverage, but not the kick return game.  Like the punter and think the placekicker is in the top third.  

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much agree with this assessment, I'd add Hightower and Spikes (most of the time) to the list of non-JAGs and it's early, but how could you not like what we've seen of Francis to this point.  Would add to your last point that a HOF QB helps in that regard as well.  If Brady plays for the Browns, they're probably a playoff contender.

Personally, I have no problem with honest assessment. There are plenty of things to be crirtical of.  It was plain as day to see that the back half of the defense (and the pass rush) wasn't very good a few weeks ago, has gotten much better, but is still a concern heading into the playoffs. Especially if they face Denver, not overly concerned with any other AFC passing offense at this point.

I don't get griping about stuff like a bad draft pick 4 years ago. It's unfortunate, it was a bad pick, it happens, move on. It really means nothing now. It would be nice if Darius Butler was Champ Bailey, Brace was Reggie White and Chung was Steve Atwater, but they aint.  They have Talib and Dennard playing CB and a slew of guys rotating on the DL, all of whom are better than Butler and Brace, so who cares about those guys?

I've been critical of coaching decisions, thought BB did a lousy job against the Giants in 2007 for example. Cost them the game IMO. But I'm not starting a thread about it. It's over and done with, who cares.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty much agree with this assessment, I'd add Hightower to the list of non-JAGs and it's early, but how could you not like what we've seen of Francis to this point.  

I like both . . . didn't put them on my list though because they haven't had enough time to prove what they can do on a long-term basis.  Hightower looked a bit ragged early on, but has been making steady improvement.  Francis looks great, but it's only a few games.  Hope both end up as quality players.  

Would add to your last point that a HOF QB helps in that regard as well.  If Brady plays for the Browns, they're probably a playoff contender.

Really good point . . . Brady makes this offense what it is.  

Personally, I have no problem with honest assessment. There are plenty of things to be crirtical of.  It was plain as day to see that the back half of the defense (and the pass rush) wasn't very good a few weeks ago, has gotten much better, but is still a concern heading into the playoffs. Especially if they face Denver, not overly concerned with any other AFC passing offense at this point.

I don't get griping about stuff like a bad draft pick 4 years ago. It's unfortunate, it was a bad pick, it happens, move on. It really means nothing now. It would be nice if Darius Butler was Champ Bailey, Brace was Reggie White and Chung was Steve Atwater, but they aint.  They have Talib and Dennard playing CB and a slew of guys rotating on the DL, all of whom are better than Butler and Brace, so who cares about those guys?

Really, given the picks we earn each year (low ones), I think Belichick does pretty well in the draft.  He misses on some, but so does everyone.  You can quibble with his strategy of trading down (and sometimes I do), but mostly it's worked out pretty well.  

I've been critical of coaching decisions, thought BB did a lousy job against the Giants in 2007 for example. Cost them the game IMO. But I'm not starting a thread about it. It's over and done with, who cares.  

I think Belichick was maybe surprised at how effective that D line was against our (beat-up) O line.  It was a vulnerability waiting to be exploited.  I think we didn't have anything to counter it, though, because we couldn't run against it and really didn't have time to pass against it.  Like you say, though, it's water under the bridge.  Problem is, the same issue raises its head periodically against teams with similarly good D lines. 

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NE, IMO, is not the most talented team in the NFL -- too many Jags on the defense and offensive line. And NE's special teams overall are mediocre to poor IMO, espceially the return game which almost never contributes these last few seasons. People will bludgeon me for this, for sure, but they just are not in my opinion. 

RESPONSE: Congratulations! You've got some guts. Differing opinions on the Patriots can lead to some good football talk.  

The Packers, when healthy, have more talent, imo.

RESPONSE: I disagree. The Packers have OL issues...especially at LT. Their running game isn't as good or diverse as New Englands'. I also don't see their defense being better than that of the Pats. On special teams, PK Mason Crosby has missed a ton of kicks this year. The only places where I see them better than NE is at WR, and kick returner.  

The Broncos are at least on par now that they have Manning.

RESPONSE: Denver is going to be tough. Manning is playing at a very high level. It's going to be tough beating him in Denver. The game will ultimately come down to whether the Pats' OL can control/dominate the Broncos' front seven. Edge rushers Miller and Dumervil are comparable to the Indy days, with Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney. Because I think that the Pats will be able to run the ball on the somewhat undersized Denver "D", I like the Pats' chances.

And the 49ers have at least as much total talent.

RESPONSE: No way that the Pats will play as poorly against the 49ers, should they face them in the SB, as they did in Foxborough. The key to beating SF is to jump out to an early lead. They are not a team that plays their best, when coming from behind. As far as overall talent, the 9ers have the better defense and special teams. But, the Pats' offense is so much more talented and diverse, now that Gronk is back. Beating Denver on the road appears to be the Pats' toughest challenge, ahead. 

Each of these teams have talent that is spread into different areas, the Broncos, Pats, and Packers being offensively gifted, and the 49ers being a real defensive team. 

The Pats certainly have some of, if not the best coaching. I think that is a huge edge.

RESPONSE: It's an edge...but maybe not so huge an edge. Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach. John Fox did a fine job for a while in Carolina...and now has Peyton, instead of Jake DelHomme. McCarthy in Green Bay has proven himself, over the years.    

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: For reasons stated above, I see the toughest challenge being the Broncos. Get by them, and I like NE's chances against any NFC team that remains.  

RESPONSE: Other than SF and GB, special teams shouldn't be an issue. Wes Welker is a solid, reliable punt returner. But, he's not the explosive guy that Julian Edelman was.   

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts