Homers......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Homers......

It appears that the Trolls and Posers favorite word of insult is Homer. Its used to explain away any positive perspective on the Pats. And their constant negative perspective is to be considered logical. This has grown too old...Negative WHAT IFS constantly pushed by THEM is accepable while Positive WHAT IFS are Homerisms...

Well I have no problem admitting to be a Homer and do not consider it to be an insult. Those that consider it to be an insult and use it so have shown their true colors. They can only be posers. The most laughabe of which have tremendously greater GM and HCing skills than what the Pats have provided. Yet they have only message boards that they use to tout those skills, and garner any self gratification. SAD...

I am a Homer and proud of it....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Homers......

Another homer here... Although I think us Homers are allowed to criticize specific aspects of the team and a particular game if warranted... no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I (try) and live my life seeing the glass as half full......if that makes me a homer....no problem, I've been called much worse!! LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Another homer here... Although I think us Homers are allowed to criticize specific aspects of the team and a particular game if warranted... no?

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thats the beauty of life. we all have 180 degrees of agreeable and disagreeable nature and then u have zodiac signs. People are different. If we all were homers, how much fun would that be. Heres to the Homers that give me job security.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Attempting to inject an element of objectivity into this discussion (yes, well wouldn't want to be accused of being a homer, you understand), I did a cursory (less than exhaustive) on line search to see if we can define homer with some level of precisiion.  It seems there are at least two (probably a sh*tload more but I am after all at work) definitions that apply to this context:

1)  Sports fan that is loyal to his home team;

2)  Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

Since I would never presume to speak for everyone on this forum (who would want to??) I can only go by personal observation.  Highly anecdotal I know and in our enduring search for truth this will undoubtedly fall short but it would seem most if not all fall under the category of definition one.  Now I know that there are certain learned elements on this board who know better than the HHH (note 1) that I am who would assert, diplomatically to be sure, that most in reality fall under category two.  

All of that being said (typed actually) I really don't give a rodent's patootie if I'm viewed as falling under category 1 or category 2.  I love the Pats, think they have an outstanding GM and probably the best HC in the game and have some pretty impressive players.  Neither the GM nor the HC nor the team is perfect and when there's something to criticize I don't hesitate to do so and so it appears no one else does either.

Note 1:  HHH = Humble Hopeless Homer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Attempting to inject an element of objectivity into this discussion (yes, well wouldn't want to be accused of being a homer, you understand), I did a cursory (less than exhaustive) on line search to see if we can define homer with some level of precisiion.  It seems there are at least two (probably a sh*tload more but I am after all at work) definitions that apply to this context:

2)  Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

Since I would never presume to speak for everyone on this forum (who would want to??) I can only go by personal observation.  Highly anecdotal I know and in our enduring search for truth this will undoubtedly fall short but it would seem most if not all fall under the category of definition one.  Now I know that there are certain learned elements on this board who know better than the HHH (note 1) that I am who would assert, diplomatically to be sure, that most in reality fall under category two.  

All of that being said (typed actually) I really don't give a rodent's patootie if I'm viewed as falling under category 1 or category 2.  I love the Pats, think they have an outstanding GM and probably the best HC in the game and have some pretty impressive players.  Neither the GM nor the HC nor the team is perfect and when there's something to criticize I don't hesitate to do so and so it appears no one else does either.

Very well put.

It seems this thread  may be the beginnings of some type of loose alliance.

The leaders of the empire may not be happy with the goings on in here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think a lot of posters here actually fall into catagory #2. Yes the vast majority of us are homers because we love our team but I'd also say that a very good number of us do see faults and want to see the team adjust those faults. Otherwise I doubt there would be a board to post on (it would be pretty boring all day if we didn't question moves or just proclaimed management or players flawless). There are some that do have the blind loyalty aspect and others who go to extremes having blind loyalty to certain aspects and goating others laying all blame for short comings. Personally I really hate blind loyalty no matter the form. The players, coaching staff, and management don't consider themselves perfect and are always striving to get better and as fans imo we should hold them to the same standard they hold themselves too. Which means taken a good look at short comings and having open discussions with other fans about them (though for fans it's completely pointless since we have no control, however it does make you feel closer to the game). Sometimes I'm just as annoyed with blind loyal fans as I am trolls. They both make the same arguments if you think about it, just on the flip side of the coin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

It appears that the Trolls and Posers favorite word of insult is Homer. Its used to explain away any positive perspective on the Pats. And their constant negative perspective is to be considered logical. This has grown too old...Negative WHAT IFS constantly pushed by THEM is accepable while Positive WHAT IFS are Homerisms...

Well I have no problem admitting to be a Homer and do not consider it to be an insult. Those that consider it to be an insult and use it so have shown their true colors. They can only be posers. The most laughabe of which have tremendously greater GM and HCing skills than what the Pats have provided. Yet they have only message boards that they use to tout those skills, and garner any self gratification. SAD...

Agreed.

People who use the phrase "homers" about Boston fans on a Boston fan site are idiots, plain and simple.

Now, if you're a fan on a neutral web site, and all you post is about how great your team is and how lousy other teams are, then yes, you are a "homer" in the first degree.

There are some fans who look to see the positives in their team; there are others who seek out the negatives in their team. The truth is that all teams, in a salary capped league, will have both strengths and weaknesses.

I like rooting for the NE Pats because football is my favorite sport, because they are a class organization, and because I grew up in Waltham. I am mature enough to understand that in any and every season, they will be far from perfect...certain personnel groups will play quite well and others not so much; there's no avoiding that fact. As a fan, I tend to focus on the positive, primarily because I am not paid to fix the negative, but moreso because I prefer to enjoy life; harping on about the deficiencies of a business one doesn't control--in an organization as supremely successful as the Kraft-era Pats--is truly the purview of the miserable.

While it is nice that the Pats win now, I have been a fan since the late 60s, and endured 2-12 seasons by holding on to the adage, "Maybe next year." Now, we have "fans" who whine and complain when the Pats lose in the Super Bowl or AFCCG. Crybabies, galore.

Will the WR group work out this year?

Will the D get more pressure on the opposing QB?

Will the Pats revert to the more physical brand of football from their Super Bowl runs?

Will the Oline hold up?

Will the secondary be able to cover anyone?

Will the coaches have a less predictable playoff game plan, and will Tom Brady play better in big games?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions...I suspect Bill Belichick doesn't either. They play the season so we can find out. I plan to enjoy every minute of every game I can watch--even when the Pats do not perform well--because I am interested in how they plan to improve their performance down the road.

So, I'm also proud to be a Pats homer on a Pats fan site. Doesn't mean I think they're flawless, and doesn't mean I expect them to win every game.

Just means I won't whine when they lose.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Agreed.

People who use the phrase "homers" about Boston fans on a Boston fan site are idiots, plain and simple.

Now, if you're a fan on a neutral web site, and all you post is about how great your team is and how lousy other teams are, then yes, you are a "homer" in the first degree.

There are some fans who look to see the positives in their team; there are others who seek out the negatives in their team. The truth is that all teams, in a salary capped league, will have both strengths and weaknesses.

I like rooting for the NE Pats because football is my favorite sport, because they are a class organization, and because I grew up in Waltham. I am mature enough to understand that in any and every season, they will be far from perfect...certain personnel groups will play quite well and others not so much; there's no avoiding that fact. As a fan, I tend to focus on the positive, primarily because I am not paid to fix the negative, but moreso because I prefer to enjoy life; harping on about the deficiencies of a business one doesn't control--in an organization as supremely successful as the Kraft-era Pats--is truly the purview of the miserable.

While it is nice that the Pats win now, I have been a fan since the late 60s, and endured 2-14 seasons by holding on to the adage, "Maybe next year." Now, we have "fans" who whine and complain when the Pats lose in the Super Bowl or AFCCG. Crybabies, galore.

Will the Pats revert to the more physical brand of football from their Super Bowl runs?

Will the Oline hold up?

Will the coaches have a less predictable playoff game plan, and will Tom Brady play better in big games?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions...I suspect Bill Belichick doesn't either. They play the season so we can find out. I plan to enjoy every minute of every game I can watch--even when the Pats do not perform well--because I am interestered in how they plan to improve their performance down the road.

So, I'm also proud to be a Pats homer on a Pats fan site. Doesn't mean I think they're flawless, and doesn't mean I expect them to win every game.

Well said NY!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Agreed.

While it is nice that the Pats win now, I have been a fan since the late 60s, and endured 2-12 seasons by holding on to the adage, "Maybe next year." Now, we have "fans" who whine and complain when the Pats lose in the Super Bowl or AFCCG. Crybabies, galore.

Will the Oline hold up?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions...I suspect Bill Belichick doesn't either. They play the season so we can find out. I plan to enjoy every minute of every game I can watch--even when the Pats do not perform well--because I am interested in how they plan to improve their performance down the road.

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

It seems this thread  may be the beginnings of some type of loose alliance.

The leaders of the empire may not be happy with the goings on in here.

[/QUOTE]

There are those that strive to keep the empire at bay, be at one with the force

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I believe I fall into the first definition.

I'm good with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I am no homer then... I am beyond loyal.... You may label me greedy... Maybe irrationally greedy.

I admit to being a 1996 bandwagonner. Back then when they did not win it all, I did not mind so much. I was just so happy they went as far as they did. That was because I did not know what it was like to win the championship.

Then came the 2001 Pats. I got to feel what it's like when the team you are passionate about wins it all. Since then... I want the Pats to win it all each year!!!

Pardon me if I can be critical of their moves at times.... I just want them to win all the time. And when I see a decision or two that gets in the way, or things they could have done (realistic, given salary cap and all) to help them be invincible, I will point it out. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

This was discussed before. Babe taught us what homerism is...

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/-homerism-at-all-time-high/100/6619215?page=3

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

You mean Babe taught YOU something He THOUGHT was correct.....Student look at your teacher...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Well....I have never been much into the holier than thou morality and mentality thing, that being said...If I can't watch my home team and discuss the good, the bad and the ugly I'll take up another past time thank you very much. I said from the beginning here.... I ain't no kool aid drinker.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I guess it depends.  If one associates the term homer as a home-team fan who finds absolutely no faults with the team whatsover - and clamor on an on about how perfect the team is, and that they will go undefeated again, ects..... imo, those folks are very similar to the non-fans who come trolling - or the posers that you reference.

There are fans of all walks of life with various personalities. Some are newbies, some have been following for 30+ years. IMO, one kind of fan is no better or worse than any other fan.

What you have are some folks who insist they are better fans than others, some folks who can't go a minute without insulting someone, ect.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

You mean Babe taught YOU something He THOUGHT was correct.....Student look at your teacher...

LMAO!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I tried to teach the teacher in that thread, but you can't teach old dogs new tricks...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Well....I have never been much into the holier than thou morality and mentality thing, that being said...If I can't watch my home team and discuss the good, the bad and the ugly I'll take up another past time thank you very much. I said from the beginning here.... I ain't no kool aid drinker.

Another posers term "kool aid drinker" I thought you said you are not into the holier than thou morality....So those that wish to believe in the possitive what ifs are denigrated to the term KOOL AID DRINKER in your morality and those that remain fixated on the negitive what ifs are logical????.....

So we have another poser term widely used for the true fans who disagree with the posers and trolls...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I would assert that the term KoolAid Drinker is synonymous with my definition #2).  I'm a fan, I view things in positive terms, I happen to believe those making the decisions in Foxboro know more about football than I do but, as a fan, I reserve the right to express my opinion in areas where I think the Pats organization has fallen short.  If that makes me KAD then so be it.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts