Honest Question About The Quote Box

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Honest Question About The Quote Box

Doesn't it drive you guys nuts when you're trying to follow a conversation and no one ever edits the quote box?  When you see things like this:

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

and the response is six pages long, do you find it frustrating, or is it just accepted and that's that?  Over on the B's side it used to be like this and then most everyone made an effort to clean it up.  It's much more enjoyable, so say the least.

If no one really sees this as any big deal, I'll refrain from talking about it.  I'm just wondering about other's thoughts about this here on the Pats side of things.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Honest Question About The Quote Box

I think it's way too much to ask some self proclaimed high IQ kinds who need decoder rings to decipher stats like Pass Defense Efficiency and Points Against.....lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Yes, it is a giant pain in the a**. Been banging this drum since last October: Hello, friends. This is Jim Nantz. Hey, would you do me this one favor?

The worst offenders do not give a crap though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It drives me nuts but I don't make a huge deal about it.  What I do make a huge deal about is when someone goes in and edits their post that had a quote box in it, if they don't go in and add the quote and /quote (make sure you add these around them [ ]) back in then it's all screwed up.  That's what really bothers me the most.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've made this point before as well.  I don't see the need to quote an entire post unless not to do so would change the essential point of the post.  And, yes, it is a RPIA trying to wade through 7 pages of posts most of which are quote/re-quote/re-re-quote.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's definitely annoying. 

Interesting, because I find that the folks who don't edit the quote section are often the most low value contributors to this forum. 

It would be great if BDC could make the process easier, but in general, those who don't take the time are usually on a rage over something and their excess of testoterone convinces them the forum can't live without their comment for the extra 30 seconds it would take to make their post more readable. 

Usually when I scroll to the end of a chaotic quote block I find some kind of petty personal quarrel, name calling, or a re-iteration of an argument we all have memorized. Leaving your quote box messy is actualy kind of a helpful way of elerting the rest of us you are a low value contributor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

What's harder....scrolling down through the multiple lines of quotes just to read someone's message, or actually taking 5 seconds of your day to delete most of what you are quoting to make for easier reading??

Either way it come down to pure laziness.

The quote feature sucks, plain and simple....it should only quote the (last) post...not the entire thread. Asking people to delete the endless line of posts to make it easier is apparently too much to ask of certain folks.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Its pure laziness, and the people who just hit "reply" and don't edit, usually don't edit their thoughts before they vomit all over their keyboard either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Umm, I don't care.

It's obvious. You are the worst of the worst in this matter. Fitting, since you are the worst of the worst in every matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It drives me nuts but I don't make a huge deal about it.  What I do make a huge deal about is when someone goes in and edits their post that had a quote box in it, if they don't go in and add the quote and /quote (make sure you add these around them [ ]) back in then it's all screwed up.  That's what really bothers me the most.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

That do suck. If it happens peeps should at least quick edit and...

Put in a line above to designate their reply.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why is the poster's job to make a thread look all nice and tidy? I don't get this.  This is the only messageboard left on earth whose formatting is apparently so bad and cheap, it's now the poster's problem to tailor the way it looks to the wants of certain other posters here?

There are things we can control, and things we cannot.  Under the things we cannot control is the features of the site.

Under the things we can control is the readability of our posts. 

It doesn't really matter if you edit your quotebox or not.  99% of what you write is garbage anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I generally try to keep the rule no more than a 2 quote pryamid is required and if the original quote is long to cut it down and only highlight what you are commenting too. Tends to keep things looking a lot neater and the page doesn't take 5 mins to scroll down

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In a perfect world the default would be the prior text is deleted, and you need to use extra effort (cut-and-paste, or click some link) to insert it, and even then it would only quote the message you're responding to, not any prior ones. 

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think this was nearly the issue it is now with the prior software? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In a perfect world the default would be the prior text is deleted, and you need to use extra effort (cut-and-paste, or click some link) to insert it, and even then it would only quote the message you're responding to, not any prior ones. 

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think this was nearly the issue it is now with the prior software? 

The previous software only quoted the last one, not everything.

Now a little effort is needed.  It makes everyone so much easier to read and to follow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The previous software only quoted the last one, not everything.

Now a little effort is needed.  It makes everyone so much easier to read and to follow.

Yes I agree, but asking the masses to exert any amount of extra effort whatsoever is a losing proposition.  OTOH, so is wishing and hoping that the software will be changed because we don't like some aspect of it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It seems to me that if you have something to say and you're willing to take the time to key it in, highlighting the irrelevant portion of a quoted previous post and deleting the highlighted section does not take that much time, effort or expertise.  I'll be candid:  Once I wade through 2 or 3 pages of a thread that have been corrupted by massive quantities of superfluous quotes and requotes, I lose interest in the thread.  It simply ceases to be a discussion at that point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

It seems to me that if you have something to say and you're willing to take the time to key it in, highlighting the irrelevant portion of a quoted previous post and deleting the highlighted section does not take that much time, effort or expertise.  I'll be candid:  Once I wade through 2 or 3 pages of a thread that have been corrupted by massive quantities of superfluous quotes and requotes, I lose interest in the thread.  It simply ceases to be a discussion at that point.

I agree, I think most agree. But some don't.  And as long as it's easier just to leave it all in, that's what many will do.  So either the software changes to where it requires effort to have the prior text included (or the prior text is minimized to where it's not bothersome) or this situation will continue. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I agree, I think most agree. But some don't.  And as long as it's easier just to leave it all in, that's what many will do.  So either the software changes to where it requires effort to have the prior text included (or the prior text is minimized to where it's not bothersome) or this situation will continue. 

It doesn't have to be a mess.  If everyone takes the 10 seconds to erase the previous stuff, it's such a big improvement.  We had the War On Quotebox over on the B's side  Everyone basically agreed to do it.  Now, if you do see more than one quote in there, it's because it's 100% related to the reply or the guy having computer issues, not just someone being lazy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It doesn't have to be a mess.  If everyone takes the 10 seconds to erase the previous stuff, it's such a big improvement.  We had the War On Quotebox over on the B's side  Everyone basically agreed to do it.  Now, if you do see more than one quote in there, it's because it's 100% related to the reply or the guy having computer issues, not just someone being lazy.

I will be shocked if you can get everyone here to actually do it. There are posters here for one purpose...to annoy others, and feed off the attention. Do you really think these same folks give a crap enough to make threads easier for others? Good luck....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Amen, NAS! If you're taking the time to write such a long post (you know who you are) its not that much of an inconvenience to highlight a few lines of text and click backspace.

The rest of the board will be very grateful!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Part of the reason  people leave the previous text in is Football is different.  (I'm not talking about trolling, I'm talking about the rare legitimate discussions).

Football, I dare say, lends itself to more analytical threads with differing points of view.  22 players on the field at one time (more than any other major sport) is just one of the reasons.  Add in the uniqueness of play-calling and formations.  Stir well.  A good thread can have back and forth in support of differing opinions.  Sometimes the previous text makes it a quick reference point to the context of the discussion.

Secondly, with the current BDC problems with page loading, asking someone to go back to a prior page to see the original comments is counter-productive.

Finally, the Bruins forum, IMO, is more of a clique than anything else.  I know that will be disputed by the inner circle, but I call them as I see 'em.  There are more than double the number of threads and post on the Pats forum than the B's forum.  Not likely to get them all to agree on anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great post, Catfish.

Wouldn't it be great if people would edit the quote box?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Umm, I don't care. I care more about the mods here allowing trolls like yourself. It's not hard to use your mouse and scroll down to the bottom. Oh no! My delicate sensibilties can't handle the scroll of a mouse!  Oh no! 

Plus, some of the back and forth is important in the dicussion. If you delete it or censor it, then you have no idea who said what. I'd rather have that than go back to page 1 or 2 to find it.

I guess I am just not bothered by such stupid, trivial things, especially when it's a board formatting problem by BDC.com, not something of my doing.

Even easier: Use your mouse to highlight and delete. Takes all of four seconds

Your fans (even the ones who love to hate you) will thank you for it later

Some hopefully might even follow your lead

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts