Honest question, how much better is the pass rush?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Honest question, how much better is the pass rush?

This is just for the 2012 season. 2013 and beyond, this pass rush will be more improved...but in 2012, is Hightower and Jones better than Carter and Anderson last season? I've been caught up in the euphoria as of late with these new players, but now Im starting to wonder how much better this pass rush is considering we lost our top two pass rushers from last season.

I know Carter got hurt at the end of the season, but even when the two were together, the pass rush was questionable.
    How much can Fanene and Bequette add?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Honest question, how much better is the pass rush?

It's hard to answer until these guys get on the field and we see how they compete against NFL talent.  But on paper, I'd say Jones has more potential than Anderson and is a lot younger than Carter, so he should be better.  I think Hightower is going to vastly improve the LB corp and that's going to help the pass rush too mostly because this defense is going to be able to attack more than it has in the past.  For the past few seasons, the lack of quality talent has forced a more reactive style defense.  Now it looks like we've got some young, fast, powerful guys who can attack upfield, while others drop back and protect. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Meh - I think a lot depends on how the defense plays. I thought it was fairly conservative all last year - the only time they played really attacking defense was the preseason game against TB (I think.)About half of Anderson's sacks were sort of meaningless, mop up time during the first half of the year, but I was really impressed with how he stepped up once Carter went down. Would love to see Carter back if he is healthy, but supposedly the Pats haven't been in touch with him during the off season?!
    Finally - I think it depends a lot on health. Once the DBs started going down, the back end coverage was so shakey that the pass rush didn't stand a chance. I agree Hightower could be the key - I think agression starts with the LBs in both 3-4 and 4-3 and I think he is a real upgrade there wherever he plays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I really can't say I think it will be much better in the short term.  Carter and Anderson did a good job last year and I think that from just a pass rush perspective it would be hard for a couple of rookies to do as well as they did.  In the long term I think it will be much improved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think it just got a whole lot better

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: Honest question, how much better is the pass rush?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Honest question, how much better is the pass rush? : put it this way: Tuck JPP Osi etc...it ain't! 
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

I'm not BB and I'm not an NFL defensive coordinator, but it appears the Pats are going to copy a page from the Giant's playbook - the ability to play lighter, quicker rushers for passing downs.  With the league becoming a passing league, I think this is a step in the right direction.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honest question, how much better is the pass rush? : I'm not BB and I'm not an NFL defensive coordinator, but it appears the Pats are going to copy a page from the Giant's playbook - the ability to play lighter, quicker rushers for passing downs.  With the league becoming a passing league, I think this is a step in the right direction.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Agree

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honest question, how much better is the pass rush? : I'm not BB and I'm not an NFL defensive coordinator, but it appears the Pats are going to copy a page from the Giant's playbook - the ability to play lighter, quicker rushers for passing downs.  With the league becoming a passing league, I think this is a step in the right direction.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

I understand that and think that's where theyre going...but I'm just wondering how much better this pass rush is compared to last season...using the giants for example, both Osi and Tuck had 1 sack each their rookie seasons...JPP had 4.5

JPP was considered pretty raw coming out of college, which is how Jones is...which leads me to believe that Jones won't be paying huge dividends immediately

Hightower im not so sure about, he seems pro ready...but is he better right now than what Anderson or Carter were last season?

Theres no doubt in my mind that in 2013 this pass rush should be significantly better with what I anticipate will be Jones' breaking out season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I think it will be better this year. For one they may still sign carter but even if they don't they will have a better pass rush imo. last year they had for the most part just one guy out there that could get to the quarterback, it was carter and then it was anderson as his playing time increased once carter went down. next season they are going to have guys in a few different positions that can beat their man and get to the qb. defenses are going to have a more difficult time having to protect against multiple rusher that are tough to stop. hightower is going to add a lot to this defense. also if dennard plays the way that he is capable of the secondary should be much improved which will help too.

the defense is going to be much better next season, much better imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Anytime you greatly increase your DE, and LB depth with potential day 1 starters like Jones, Hightower AND Bequette, coupled with Fanine and a healthy Deadrick and Pryor I say that the front 7 as a whole just got a lot better.....which will lead to better pass rush, better run defense and more plays made as a whole.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8488/justin-tuck

Look at Tucks numbers...1 sack first season...then a very disappointing second season...sound familiar?

Granted that Tuck's second season can be labeled a disappointment because of injury...This is a make or break season for Cunningham.

He'll be a guy ill be monitoring closely in the preseason. Either he finally gets cut or he breaks out. Can't see BB holding this guy on the roster any longer as a healthy scratch

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

IT hasn't improved any until you know what these guys can do. It could improve a lot. But let's not count chickens ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pDvWahDoQ

This makes me happy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Ask Tebow what he thinks of Jake Bequette!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAUNLNACnyg

Or the Alabama LT..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pDvWahDoQ This makes me happy.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

nice! i think we will see a lot of that from bequette this season and for years to  come.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the way i look at it is they can now have a front seven where every one of the seven is a very capable pass rusher. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This could help the pass rush too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtSUS9VoV2s

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Honest question, how much better is the pass rush? : put it this way: Tuck JPP Osi etc...it ain't! 

The Giants might not even be that since Osi is looking to leave.

Anyways, The Patriots are putting together their own NASCAR package with this young talent.  No more old ends... as much as I like Carter and Anderson, the younger guys are going to be better and able to keep the tempo high all 4 qtrs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Carte and Anderson didn't play much together as Anderson was in at the end of the game. Bequette was an animal with Arkansas. Our entire front seven got much better and deep! Our secondary will be much  better as well. We will have constant field position about 1/2 way through the season. This was a great defesive draft. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Doesn't matter at this stage of the game. 2011 doesn't matter anymore and BB is trying to put together a team for 2012. Lots of reasons to be optimitistic. Reality is that it will take time for the 2012 draftees time to gel.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

listened to NFL radio today   Randy Cross , Gil Brandt, and Marvez?  said Jones could  ( I know.. could) be a JPP or Demarcus Ware. If 75% we are OK.

PS. no offense, but I dont want to see you guys again  in February.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The pass rush is instantly better, the defense is instantly better.

Defensive backfield:
    Consider the free agency pick up's first, Steve Gregory instantly becomes a starter at free safety moving McCourty back to corner where he belongs.  But Belichick doesn't just need one safety, he needs about three to replace everybody not named Chung on last year's defense. We're talking about a coach who loves to run nickel packages with three safeties on the field at once.  So he has his starter in Gregory and drafts two more with Wilson and Dennard, both rank among the best at FS/large CB in the draft. Chung is a beast.

At corner McCourty is a stud, Ras Dowling who started his rookie season as the starter opposite DMC should progress health provided. Arrington is a solid technician who benefits the most by way of interceptions. If Will Allen remains healthy, he is a smooth cover guy who could surprise by making the team and providing deep bench play. Sterling Moore earned the right to compete this camp, maybe he isn't a one hit wonder at all, which means more depth and Marquice Cole was signed to provide camp competition as well.

Defensive line:
    Fanene replaces Shaun Ellis but you also have Deadrick and Brace one full season removed from injury. Brace is in a make or break season, he needs to replace Gerrard Warren at tackle or be replaced himself. Love and Pryor are a year more experienced and Marcus Harrison is being given a shot at making the team. I'd like to see an impact signing here with a free agent but as it stands this is already a stronger unit with big Vince as the anchor.

Linebackers:
    This is where we received a large shot of youth. Hightower is an instant starter inside at "sam" linebacker, which makes Mayo the "will" playmaker in the Bruschi mold. Spikes will get bumped outside with Nincovich to the outside linebacker position, either of them are versitile enough to swing back inside, Fletcher provides depth all the way across the linebacking core.

The "elephant" outside linebacker position will be filled by Jones and Bequette. Truthfully I think Bequette is more NFL ready and may end up starting the opener. Jones is a little more of a project with a lot of upside, hopefully they both work out to plan because if they do, we'll have a tireless pass rush with two guys substantially bigger, younger and more athletic than either Andre Carter or Mark Anderson.  The older linebacker's will ease the rookies in and help them learn on the fly, our linebacking core just got upgraded substantially.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Wozzy I agree with u EXCEPT on Spikes going to the outside.  I just cant ever see that with his speed or lack there of. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

It's not all going to fall together the first year.  A dominating defense is something that must be seasoned properly.  That being said, I do think it will be better than last year.  Hightowers presence will allow BB to get a lot more creative with the linebacking core.  We have more edge rushers now.  And with all that is going on with the secondary, don't be surprised to see them getting involved in the blitz a little more as well.