Horrendous Officiating

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Horrendous Officiating

For once we agree.  Hochuli needs a good punch in the face.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry, but this deserves its own thread. We saw one atrociously called game in Week 3 in Baltimore with replacement refs, arguably the worst I've ever seen in 30 years watching football, with even the game winning FG in question.

I just got off the phone with one my uncles who has had season tickets since 1978.  He hasn't missed a game since.   I've never heard him so enraged over the officiating.  It's not the sole reason why NE lost, it was the turnovers, but clearly the officiating affected the outcome in favor of SF.   He and my other uncle's seats are about 20 rows up on the 45 yard line behind the visiting team's bench. Apparently, Harbaugh and his assistants were lobbying for calls all night long.  Not surprising. Harbaugh and his brother are two pieces of work in that area, always whining incessantly.

Last night, however, was a top 3 worst I've seen the Pats involved in. It's one thing for replacement refs to have the built-in excuse, but these professionals simply cannot be so inept in games like that. 

As much as the turnovers had much to do with why NE lost, the officiating was decidely so one-sided, that the refs were forced to resort to make up calls for NE in the second half.  The LLoyd PI call was the one that stands out.  But, you have to ask why make up calls are even needed.

There are two plays that clearly affected NE's ability to change momentum:

1. The Hightower stripl/fumble. What a great play, by a great young rookie. A textbook in-line closing tackle and strip to be called "incomplete". What a complete crock that was.  In no way is that defensible.  That was a fumble. Who knows if that might have changed things at that point. I believe SF went on to score a TD there.  Chris Collinsneck made that even more maddening by acting like it was clearly an incomplete pass where the RB never had possession and didn't try to run after he caught it. Laughable.  I DVRd the game and watched this play again this morning. FUMBLE.  Not debatable. Clear as day.

2. The obvious one is the Ginn apparent fumble on the punt return.   Why on earth does a punt returner, and the entire kick return unit of each team, react in such a fashion, if he didn't touch the ball? I am not saying it clearly hit his leg flush, but the trajectory of the ball as it crossed him, coupled with his reaction clearly tells us it grazed his leg. All of a sudden, the rules change? Also, the refs made up a call about an "illegal touch" by NE, repleted with "holding on #57" by NE.  I am fairly sure Steve Nelson retired many years ago. Then, the best part was when Hochuli tried to explain all of this after 5 minutes of extended commericals and waiting with him saying they will review it, which"may lead to spotting the ball down there".

Are you kidding me?  How is this stuff acceptable?  I think ol' Ed has taken one too many of the PEDs ol' Rogie is so concerned about in the league.  These guys just got a great new deal which gives them lifetime health insurance, 6 figure plus salaries and all kinds of perks for calling games 16 times a year for 4 months and we get that?  Unacceptable and it takes away from what two good teams battling it out.

It is high time the NFL start punishing  officials in some way (suspension without pay?) for not knowing the rules of the game and making up calls to the point Bill Belichick and then entire crowd/viewing public is not only confused, but when the refs have a chance to get the call right, they still don't get it right.

We NEVER see BB challenge refs when compared to what other NFL coaches do on the sidelines during games. Ever.  He's done it twice this year in particular. Once in Baltimore and last night.

The officiating clearly favored SF last night big time and it affected the game.   Awful.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

There is a lot of bad officiating and blown calls in many games.  Sometimes they help us win, and sometimes they help us lose.  However, we didn't deserve to win this game.  Officiating isn't the reason we lost, not when our running backs couldn't hold onto the ball and Brady throws 2 picks.

I get where you are coming from regarding momentum though.  I'm just saying that the Pats hurt themselves far more than the refs did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

not blaming the refs.....Pats were so bad in first half they were going to lose anyways........but that punt fumble play...even if it wasn't a fumble ...was so miscalled and confusing it made the NFL and refs look embarrassing. It was like they were rushing to make something up to validate the decision.

Hard to tell if a fumble...but the way the returner acted was suspect. Doesn't matter now.

Can somebody please tell me what the rule is that Talib was called for on the PI play? I thought that happened to us in a playoff game and wasn't really a rule.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I still don't know how they don't call PI on the cb when he grabed welker by the neck and pulled him.  I know welker should have kept running but it was a really bad hold/ pull off and then he was in position to make the int.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not blaming the refs.....Pats were so bad in first half they were going to lose anyways........but that punt fumble play...even if it wasn't a fumble ...was so miscalled and confusing it made the NFL and refs look embarrassing. It was like they were rushing to make something up to validate the decision.

Hard to tell if a fumble...but the way the returner acted was suspect. Doesn't matter now.

Can somebody please tell me what the rule is that Talib was called for on the PI play? I thought that happened to us in a playoff game and wasn't really a rule.

[/QUOTE]

Simple. Talib ran into the receiver and made contact before the ball got there AND never turned to look for the ball. That's PI. It had nothing to do with face guarding. Some will try and tell you he did not make contact. He did.

I am a huge Pats fan but not a Yahoo. He made contact. I call it as I see it.

Same with the two calls other are whining about.

I saw nothing on video that showed the punt hit Ginn in any way. I have it DVr'd just like everyone else. The call was made on the field that it did not hit him. Nothing was obvious on video to over turn that call. You'll hear people blah blahing about the trajectory of the ball changed etc. B.S. Just crazy bounce and camera angle. For the ball to change direction because of collision it will have to hit the object with at least some certainty to rebound off in an alt direction. It will not do that by whisper hair glancing of a sock (If that even happened).

ON the hightower play. It is only a catch after two feet down and a football move completed while in total possession control OR the receiver maintains posession all the way to the ground. Neither of those things happened and if the later happend then the receiver would have been down by contact prior to the ball coming out anyways.

Do I wish Talib did not make contact? Do I wish the punt hit Ginn? DO I wish Hightower had wrestled the ball away from the receiver on the way down and the ball did not hit the ground and he got and INT? YES to all three but that is not what happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady throws 2 picks.

[/QUOTE]

You mean, Welker is illegally held with no call, and Hernandez does his best Ben Watson impersonation?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

There were some missed calls both ways, that happens in games.  I seriously doubt there has ever been or will ever be a completly perfect called game.

With that said, the calls that were called last night weren't bad. The Talib PI call was correct and Ginn never touched the ball.  They showed the replays many, many times some wre bad angles that you couldn't see and then there was one that you could clearly see the ball never touched Ginn's leg, and there was another that showed the ball never touched Ginn's hand.  So I have no idea where RockheadScully thought he seen the ball touch Ginn.

Like I said, there was no game changing calls out there, the game was lost out on the field by the Patriots.  They adjusted well after halftime to almost do it but the first half was just too terrible.

The Hightower strip/fumble, well I will need to review that one before I comment on it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun--1918's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Typical cheatriots fans.

Their team never loses, it's always the ref, the weather, the field, lucky plays, blah, blah, blah

[/QUOTE]

Zip it, if you don't have anything intelligent to add.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

I need to go back and look at the replay again, but the Talib PI call was also very questionable. Faceguarding is not a penalty in the NFL.  You do have to turn, but only if you've made contact. Chris Collinsneck is a moron.  On the replay, at first glance, I didn't really see contact from Talib. 

Crabtree falling back to catch the ball doesn't mean there was contact from Talib. Maybe there was some kind of arm contact as he put his arms up, but there didn't appear to be.  I believe that was also on the SF sideline.

The other one that was somewhat creepy was the play where NE was flagged for PI where one ref called it incomplete and then a flag comes from 30 yards downfield.

I am sorry, but the way that game was called was an embarrassment.  Anyone who has played sports knows that officiating can impact a game when it becomes so one sided. It's favored us before and I get the frustration.  Last night, it certainly wasn't balanced whatsoever.

[/QUOTE

That pi on talib is a play that has always irked me.  Did a thread on it.  What is the defender supposed to do?  Collinsworth goes "talib prevents him from coming back to catch it... PI" . Like a receiver has a right to an underthrown ball by going through a defender... ? Talib is in position and cannot disappear... It's a badly thrown ball (short) and you reward it with 35 dubious yards.  crappy rule in need of changes. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brady throws 2 picks.

[/QUOTE]

You mean, Welker is illegally held with no call, and Hernandez does his best Ben Watson impersonation?

[/QUOTE]

not that i thought brady played a good 1st half, but those 2 interceptions were pretty unlucky

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I agree Hochuli is an idiot. However, the illegal touch thing is what happens ever time a punting team down the ball. That is why the ball is dead. Techinically every time the punting team touches a punt before the receiving team there is an "illegal touch" that is what it is called in the NFL rulebook it is just not generally the term thrown around.

Officiating is not he reason the Patriots lost last night. They did not come out ready to play and the 49ers did. By the time the Patriots offense woke up it was too little too late. When the special teams and the defense needed to step up after the Patriots tied the score there was a 62 yard kick off return and a one play 38-yard TD drive. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brady throws 2 picks.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not that i thought brady played a good 1st half, but those 2 interceptions were pretty unlucky

[/QUOTE]

Brady at the half was 10 for 19 for 76 yards, with no TDs and one INT. That is not a good half...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry, but this deserves its own thread. We saw one atrociously called game in Week 3 in Baltimore with replacement refs, arguably the worst I've ever seen in 30 years watching football, with even the game winning FG in question.

I just got off the phone with one my uncles who has had season tickets since 1978.  He hasn't missed a game since.   I've never heard him so enraged over the officiating.  It's not the sole reason why NE lost, it was the turnovers, but clearly the officiating affected the outcome in favor of SF.   He and my other uncle's seats are about 20 rows up on the 45 yard line behind the visiting team's bench. Apparently, Harbaugh and his assistants were lobbying for calls all night long.  Not surprising. Harbaugh and his brother are two pieces of work in that area, always whining incessantly.

Last night, however, was a top 3 worst I've seen the Pats involved in. It's one thing for replacement refs to have the built-in excuse, but these professionals simply cannot be so inept in games like that. 

As much as the turnovers had much to do with why NE lost, the officiating was decidely so one-sided, that the refs were forced to resort to make up calls for NE in the second half.  The LLoyd PI call was the one that stands out.  But, you have to ask why make up calls are even needed.

1. The Hightower stripl/fumble. What a great play, by a great young rookie. A textbook in-line closing tackle and strip to be called "incomplete". What a complete crock that was.  In no way is that defensible.  That was a fumble. Who knows if that might have changed things at that point. I believe SF went on to score a TD there.  Chris Collinsneck made that even more maddening by acting like it was clearly an incomplete pass where the RB never had possession and didn't try to run after he caught it. Laughable.  I DVRd the game and watched this play again this morning. FUMBLE.  Not debatable. Clear as day.

2. The obvious one is the Ginn apparent fumble on the punt return.   Why on earth does a punt returner, and the entire kick return unit of each team, react in such a fashion, if he didn't touch the ball? I am not saying it clearly hit his leg flush, but the trajectory of the ball as it crossed him, coupled with his reaction clearly tells us it grazed his leg. All of a sudden, the rules change? Also, the refs made up a call about an "illegal touch" by NE, repleted with "holding on #57" by NE.  I am fairly sure Steve Nelson retired many years ago. Then, the best part was when Hochuli tried to explain all of this after 5 minutes of extended commericals and waiting with him saying they will review it, which"may lead to spotting the ball down there".

Are you kidding me?  How is this stuff acceptable?  I think ol' Ed has taken one too many of the PEDs ol' Rogie is so concerned about in the league.  These guys just got a great new deal which gives them lifetime health insurance, 6 figure plus salaries and all kinds of perks for calling games 16 times a year for 4 months and we get that?  Unacceptable and it takes away from what two good teams battling it out.

It is high time the NFL start punishing  officials in some way (suspension without pay?) for not knowing the rules of the game and making up calls to the point Bill Belichick and then entire crowd/viewing public is not only confused, but when the refs have a chance to get the call right, they still don't get it right.

We NEVER see BB challenge refs when compared to what other NFL coaches do on the sidelines during games. Ever.  He's done it twice this year in particular. Once in Baltimore and last night.

The officiating clearly favored SF last night big time and it affected the game.   Awful.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

In response to walton's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ginn didn't touch the ball. Who cares how people reacted? Your a Patriots fan so you think he touched the ball. I'm neither a Patriot fan or a SF fan but simply a football fan. There were a number of replay angles. The angle directly behind Ginn revealed nothing but there was a side camera angle which showed CLEARLY that he didn't touch the ball. It wasn't even that close. The ball didn't come close to Ginn's leg. If there was a possibility of touching anything it was the fingers of his right hand but there was one angle which showed it CLEARLY did NOT touch his hand. You're a homer.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts