Houston or Finch?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Houston or Finch?

Will be interesting to see who makes the team. I'll assume that Ridley, Vereen, and White are locks. The fourth and final spot will come down to Bolden, Finch, and Houston. I'll give Houston and Finch the edge over Bolden, as I think both have much higher ceilings than Bolden, who while somewhat consistent, has really topped out and likely doesn't have much more to offer.

Who do you think will make the team? Finch or Houston? Heck, if there's an argument to be made for Bolden, I'd love to hear it! 

Here's Houston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsd7d775-w

And Finch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldyvduwPjkc" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldyvduwPjkc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Houston or Finch?

Their running styles are completely different. Houston is a slashback runner who flashes his speed on the sidelines; Finch is an elusive pin ball bouncing off everyone and everything, inside or outside. The question is whose skills will translate better to the team? I am really interested to see how it develops. I give the edge to Finch, if he can run, catch and return anything like he did at Oklahoma he will make me forget about Woodhead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would like to see both rookies with pads on compete at the NFL level before burying Bolden

Bolden has shown very well on all 4 ST's, shown well in pass plays, and is the best pass pro RB on the team. Remains to be seen if either rookie can do any of the mentioned. 

Word from OTA's was that Finch really has impressive KR skills

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've read that Finch isn't committed enough to what he is supposed to be doing (playing football) and that was the reason he was buried on the depth chart in college. That right there puts him at a disadvantage here because we all know how hard it is to play here - how much they expect - add in two guys who seem to be more like third down backs ahead of him (White, Vareen) and I think he is a long shot.

As for Houston, he timed well in workouts and has that nice size, but the speed doesn't transcend to the field quite as well...nor does the power. At least with him it looks like he does have the skills, but there is a reason he didn't get drafted and I think it's because those skills don't necessarily follow him to the field.

If Bolden has a good camp I could see him beating out both these guys, maybe easily. There is also the chance they bring a guy in late during camp who gets cut from another team. I'd love to see this Houston kid be the guy though, because he does remind me of Foster a little bit at times with the way he makes one quick cut and goes, the problem is there are too many runs where he doesn't "go".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It will take a strong training camp to unseat Bolden in my opinion.  He does lots of things well.  He's a jack-of-all trades RB who, while not great, knows the offense, plays special teams and could stand to get more carries in the future depending on if Ridley is back. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Houston instantly is the biggest halfback on our roster, he was productive in college, catches the ball extremely well for a big man, is athletic and decisive as a runner.

Finch isn't nearly as quick in four directions as he seems to be, I think fans get enamored with the "little guy" because he typically is closer in size and stature to the fan.

Vereen and White will start the season ahead of Finch on the depth chart, that may be hard to crack.  

Houston has two guys ahead of him the team hopes he will outplay before they have to extend those contracts, one is a chronic fumbler and the other a malcontent who can't crack the starting lineup, seems like the need is at 1-A back and not third down back?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I say both...remember we tried finding a KR last year with Washington but he couldn't stay healthy. And Bolden was in trouble with the coaching staff from what I heard last year. I think we need Ridley insurance(Houston) and a legit KR/PR in Finch. I think we will finally move on from the Bolden experiment. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't see it. I cannot see this team benching Ridley, Vareen injured, relying on 3 rookies in pass pro. Bolden has a spot IMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see it. I cannot see this team benching Ridley, Vareen injured, relying on 3 rookies in pass pro. Bolden has a spot IMO

[/QUOTE]

I think so too.  I'll be pretty suprised if Houston and/or Finch take Bolden's spot.  Experience is important for our RB depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Finch, Bolden is gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

I've read mixed opinions on Houston. Some say he's a great one cut, hit the hole and go back. Others say he's got the talent but can't read pass protection. That's a must if Houston is going to make the final cut. If he can improve on that I think Finch gets let go. If not, vice versa. Go Pats!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I don't see either making it. All the current RBs are all on cheap rookie deals. It's not like Bolden is making 2M or something. For all of his contributions and ST work his salary is pretty cheap. Same with the rest of the RBs. 

Ridley Vereen White and Bolden will make it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Oklahoma U Opinion on Roy Finch is below: (Summary: Finch is a dynamic KR who is great in space but hasn't been able to make an impact at other positions due to poor practice habits)

September 10, 2012

Roy Finch needs to earn his way on the field

Carey Murdock
    SoonerScoop.com
    When Oklahoma struggled against UTEP in the season opener, the Sooners seemed like a team with a lot of playmakers incapable of making plays

After OU's 69-13 trouncing of Florida A&M, OU's offense looks like a team full of playmakers who didn't have enough footballs to go around. That's exactly how it looked when Roy Finch came into the game late and racked up 50 yards rushing on just five carries and scored a touchdown.

So where has Finch been over the first two games?

He's been the starting kickoff returner for the Sooners. But he hasn't seen any meaningful playing time since the end of the 2011 season, when he tied with Dominique Whaley for the highest yards per carry average on the team.

"We all know what type of talent Roy is," co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel reminded the media Monday. "We know the type of explosiveness he can bring to us offensively when you get the ball to him out in space."

So then what's the problem? Why can't Finch get out on the field more?

Part of the problem is OU decided to work Finch at the slot receiver position this fall. It was their answer to finding ways to get Finch more involved in the offense

"We're trying to give him more opportunities," said co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell. "We're trying to give him more chances to get on the field."

It's not as if the OU coaches are ignoring Finch's talents. Their plan was to figure out ways to get him the ball more in 2012. The problem is, Finch hasn't held up his end of the bargain.

"It's just a matter of him being consistent and doing the things we're asking him to do as coaches," said Norvell. "He definitely has a role. He's a talent and we want to find a role for him, but he has a responsibility in it too."

That responsibility for Finch is learning this new role the coaches have devised for him as a slot receiver. It's not a task Finch is excelling at. Unforunately for Finch, he's not Allen Iverson. We are talking about practice. And Finch isn't practicing all that well these days.

He definitely has a role. He's a talent and we want to find a role for him, but he has a responsibility in it too. - Jay Norvell on Roy Finch 
    "Ultimately, we as a coaching staff, teammates, everybody, are asking all of our guys to buy in and be disciplined in everything you do and how you approach everything on and off the field because it's going to show up on gameday at some point too," said Heupel. "As Roy continues to handle himself in a mature way and practice better, he's going to continue to earn more touches."

Right now with Finch's poor practice habits, he's lagging behind players at two positions.

"Really, the bottom line is he's a slot receiver who is playing behind Kenny Stills and Sterling Shepard, two pretty good players," said Norvell. "They're playing well. At running back he's behind a couple of other players. We'd love to get him some more carries but we'd love to get Trey Millard some more carries."

Finch is at a crossroads in his Sooner career. He's two games into his junior year. He's a starting kickoff returner and he's making an impact at that spot on the field.

But fans certainly want to see him do more than just return kickoffs. Finch certainly doesn't want his OU career to end up a blown opportunity. The OU coaching staff doesn't want that either. But at some point, he's got to earn the playing time fans believe he deserves.

"You only have so many opportunities so it's really on the players to earn those opportunities in practice and that's what he's trying to do," said Norvell.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Bolden has the advantage of knowing the offense and he has been productive when healthy. Finch offers speed. Houston offers power running. Pick your poison! I like Finch, but I don't dislike either of the two guys.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Houston, but we won't be sure until the pads come on!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

from the videos, it looks like Houston is more of a north-south runner, while Finch gains as many yards going east/west as he does north south.  Finch appears to have quicker feet vs. Houston.  Finch would be more of a change of pace type of runner vs. Bolden and Ridley.  Houston is taller and heavier at 6' 230 lbs where Finch is 5'7, 170 lbs wet.

I would choose Finch as of right now, because he's a  different kind of a horse vs. rest of running back corp.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

from the videos, it looks like Houston is more of a north-south runner, while Finch gains as many yards going east/west as he does north south.  Finch appears to have quicker feet vs. Houston.  Finch would be more of a change of pace type of runner vs. Bolden and Ridley.  Houston is taller and heavier at 6' 230 lbs where Finch is 5'7, 170 lbs wet.

I would choose Finch as of right now, because he's a  different kind of a horse vs. rest of running back corp.

[/QUOTE]

Your watching videos of boys, not men. There is a reason these guys aren't drafted

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your watching videos of boys, not men. There is a reason these guys aren't drafted

[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't know that (very sarcastic)......

Dude, lighten up. We all know most rookies drafted in late rounds are lucky to make the practice squad. The response is answering the thread subject/op

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Finch has no chance. He's a midget. He did very little in college. Seven total TDs in four years, Bolden had 14 in his junior year. He's not even very fast for a little guy. He's no Woodhead. Woody is taller, 30 lbs. heavier and faster.

Houston has a puncher's chance, maybe 30%, of making the roster. Just because of his size/speed. But he was no more productive in college than Bolden was.  He has a shot because Bolden hasn't been all that dependable. He's missed a lot of games, and if Houston has a great camp (or Bolden doesn't) or if someone else gets hurt, anything is possible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't know that (very sarcastic)......

Dude, lighten up. We all know most rookies drafted in late rounds are lucky to make the practice squad. The response is answering the thread subject/op

[/QUOTE]

You lighten up

I am simply not on board with your comments

Simple back and forth disagreement is what this board is about, dont take it personally ( not sarcastic)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

...I would choose Finch as of right now, because he's a  different kind of a horse vs. rest of running back corp.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, Finch and Bolden lining up at minicamp...

Horses

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

...I would choose Finch as of right now, because he's a  different kind of a horse vs. rest of running back corp.

[/QUOTE]

Horses

[/QUOTE]

lol!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Horses

[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!

Sections
Shortcuts