How about a 6-6 / 228lb/26 year old ex-QB convereted to WR for the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

How about a 6-6 / 228lb/26 year old ex-QB convereted to WR for the Pats?

The Jags just released him. he did have some peds and drugs issues late last season, kind of a bad a@#.. but Dillon was too and Pats locker room tamed him..

Would love to see Matt Jones run the other sideline from Moss.. That would stretch the defense..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4555330

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: How about a 6-6 / 228lb/26 year old ex-QB convereted to WR for the Pats?

First of all Corey Dillion did not have a drug problem! And to try and comepeer him to Dillion is re tarded. Dillion was a "bad egg" cause he was tired of losing not because he was snorting coke. Matt Jones IS A BUST!!!!!! What has done since his draft? NOTHING!!!!! The biggest thing he has done since his draft was gettign busted for coke. He is a s ucky WR and a waste of a roster spot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

They could pick him up for nothing and just pay him the minimum(I'm guessing).  However since this makes too much sense I don't see it happening.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

It makes no sense what so ever! He is a bum. If anyone can get the numbers i would love to see the stats from his best season. i bet they s ucked cause he s ucks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: How about a 6-6 / 228lb/26 year old ex-QB convereted to WR for the Pats?:
    It makes no sense what so ever! He is a bum. If anyone can get the numbers i would love to see the stats from his best season. i bet they s ucked cause he s ucks.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

MVP, The Pats take no risk by taking a chance on Matt Jones, if he doesn't work out they just cut him.  Right now the Pats have nothing to lose by giving Jones a shot.  No risk, Maximum reward.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I have no idea if Matt Jones would be good here, and he definitely IS a bum of a human being.  However, MVP, your dismissal of him as a FOOTBALL player is way too strong.

26 years old, converted from quarterback, so started from scratch, and has 15 TD catches in 4 years.  Last year, he started to really emerge with 65 catches for 761 yards in 12 games.

I understand disliking Matt Jones.  He's an idiot and a bum, until he gets his life together.  However, he started to look like a good football player as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: How about a 6-6 / 228lb/26 year old ex-QB convereted to WR for the Pats?:
    I have no idea if Matt Jones would be good here, and he definitely IS a bum of a human being.  However, MVP, your dismissal of him as a FOOTBALL player is way too strong. 26 years old, converted from quarterback, so started from scratch, and has 15 TD catches in 4 years.  Last year, he started to really emerge with 65 catches for 761 yards in 12 games. I understand disliking Matt Jones.  He's an idiot and a bum, until he gets his life together.  However, he started to look like a good football player as well.
    Posted by pyegian

As i understand it, when he was straight, he caught everything they threw to him, but is he the David Givens, J Gaffney kind of receiver we need.  He can play though, just not sure where he is at head wise right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

How can we play football if this guy is snorting all the chalk lines off of the playing field?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Anyone arrested with a bag of coke is not going to be in a Pats uni any time soon. Every night Bob Kraft goes to bed and says a prayer of thanks that Donte Stallworth wasn't a Pat for more than a year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Check mosseffect's board for the link to the Buy or Sell (AFC East) article on ESPN.

I'd rather see Dwayne Bowe, and the article implied he was available.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

The thing that is intriguing about Matt Jones, and the reason the Jags drafted him a WR even though he never played the position, is that at 6-6, 230, he consistently ran a 4.3/40 coming out of college.  He's a freak.  He's a longtime QB and has hands, but he had to learn how to run routes, adjust to the QB, do the toe-tap on the sideline, etc., all of which took discipline, and discipline has not apparently been his strong point.

He's worth a shot, IMO.  If the Pats' environment can turn him into a serious football player (if not, he's gone anyway), then with his freakish combo of size, speed and hands he might become a dyno WR.  Certainly Randy Moss can show him a thing or two, as Randy is not just exceptional gifted physically, but possesses superior football intelligence.

He could possibly be the answer that Joey Galloway will never be- unless you paint two parallel lines the length of the field five yards in from each sideline and call that Joey's zone.  Joey will NOT catch the ball in the middle of the field, except on a deep post.  That's just who he is, and he, unlike Matt Jones, is too old to change.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

No cokeheads.  The guy had six grams on him when busted the first time.  Obviously this guy had tasted a lot of snow before, and was ready to party on.  Nearly the worst possible Patriot, if they have contests for that dubious honor.

He was taken in the second time because the DA thinks drinking alcohol leads to snorting.  At the least, he was plain stoopid to earn himself a second trip to jail just before training camp.  No will power.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

What if defensive coordinator of the Giants Bill Belichick had said to Coach Parcells "no cokeheads" in reference to Lawrence Taylor?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

I can't remember off the top of my head but didn't one of the o-line guys get busted with S@#t load of Illegal pain killers in the off season.  look guys do drugs Moss was smokin tons of weed when he hit the cop in Minn. but he still managed to play some good football out there.  I don't care about the coke,  If bill thinks he can use this kid I think theres enough leadership around here to keep him straight.  Anything is worth a try, and if we can get him cheap even better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Anyone who says he stinks is way off, early on the Jags used him as a deep threat and he was lethal, his final season was as a possession receiver and he was successful...  he is a talent with upside if sober and his mind is right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The same guy you are all talking about just had a tryout with the TB Bucs,i don't know if they signed him or not.Why not just let Nunn and Aikens share the position and be Dunn with the Joey Galloway experiment as it's obviously not working.Matt jones would be an intriguing add though if you are thinking of stretching the field for little Wesley to reek havoc!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

I dont know who this guy is that yoru talking about, but is he was a QB and turned reciever and had 712 yds, hes worth a shot. And if any coach can get not only talent out of a guy but also teach him to be a team player and have self respect its Bill B. And if he can get paid the league minimum, then Bob Kraft more than likely already picked him up in his car and got him the best room that money can buy at Motel 6

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why not? We need help at the WR position, he is a WR. Bring him in. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

of course he's not Gaffney, I wish we had never Gaff go..

of course he's had some drug issues...

But I do believe the positive peer pressure in the locker room will help Matt Jones become a very good receiver. Imagine him going up for a hight thrown tight spiral in the slot ! Who's going to be able to defend this 6-6 26 yr old freak... ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

if tom brady can make reche caldwell look like a super star,im sure he could do wonders with matt jones,but yes bowe,and possibly a patrick crayton could be a good thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

of course he's not Gaffney, I wish we had never Gaff go.. of course he's had some drug issues... But I do believe the positive peer pressure in the locker room will help Matt Jones become a very good receiver. Imagine him going up for a hight thrown tight spiral in the slot ! Who's going to be able to defend this 6-6 26 yr old freak... ?
    Posted by lsulifer86

No he is no Jabar Gaffney. He caught almost 70 balls in 12 games last year, something Gaffney has never done in a full season. Oh yeah he is also 6ft 6, hmmmmmm. This guy had a drug problem as a professional athlete OMG Not that. At least he doesn't torcher Dags!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: How about a 6-6 / 228lb/26 year old ex-QB convereted to WR for the Pats? : No he is no Jabar Gaffney. He caught almost 70 balls in 12 games last year, something Gaffney has never done in a full season. Oh yeah he is also 6ft 6, hmmmmmm. This guy had a drug problem as a professional athlete OMG Not that. At least he doesn't torcher Dags!
    Posted by TrueChamp

Some people just can not get off the drugs - it takes years and the stress of the NFL would be bad for him. This kid can play - no doubt. If he wanted to he should get in a rehab program, let the league know and in a few years someone would invite him to camp.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Look up his best season as a NFL WR, he was never really any good. IMO. If he is cheap I guess give him a shot but if he wants anything more then the league's basic salery he can beat it. He is not worth any extra cash, dotn even give him any money up front. He is out of footbll right now so he should take what we give him. I would rather have him then T.O.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

the pats might be too buttoned-up for Jones...   maybe a year or two in oakland and then here.  he'll be longing for a more ordered existence with age and raiders combined

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

I agree, prefer Matt to TO anytime..

Look up his best season as a NFL WR, he was never really any good. IMO. If he is cheap I guess give him a shot but if he wants anything more then the league's basic salery he can beat it. He is not worth any extra cash, dotn even give him any money up front. He is out of footbll right now so he should take what we give him. I would rather have him then T.O.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Sections
Shortcuts