How about that ND call.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

How about that ND call.

I personally think momentum was stopped. What do you think?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: How about that ND call.

The game was at ND..What else did you expect?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

What a cluster.

Favor ND: He was stopped initially and pushed back a foot. The easy one is to say forward momentum was stopped then it is very clear. But..

Favor Stanford: He did rotate and fall forward so the ball in or out of his posession went past the goal line. If he possessed it as it went over then it is a TD. However, his hands are going with the ball but it is not clear when the ball came out. Looks liketo me  it came out after it crossed the goal but not definative.

Unknown: I also saw some ND players stop pushing after the initial stop and start celebrating, if they stayed with it he would have never gotten the second push. Did a whistle go off?

Favor ND: On the other hand it was cheap to essentially be stopped and rest 100% on other players bodies, be on your back so technically not having a knee down and then push forward. Might not meet the technical definition of being  'down' but certainly met the intention of the rule of being down.

Despite all of this in a pro game it would be a TD almost every time, If I were a Stanford fan I would have a hard time letting go of this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Question is:  "How long do you let the runner keep struggling before you blow the whistle?".  In this instance, the forward progress was stopped and the runner just kept trying to get around the end while in the grasp of the defense.  How many times have we seen similar plays in which the runner continues to make attempts to achieve forward progress and just as the whistle is blown surges forward? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Could really go either way (I'm as big an ND fan as there is, and I thought they'd overturn it after reviewing... they didn't, not much else can be said.)... though the sentiment that it was a home team call made just for ND is ridiculous considering they were PAC 12 officials.

Bottom line is:  ND's D is elite... they're tied for #1 in the nation in scoring D with Alabama (7.5 PPG), they haven't allowed a TD in 4 consecutive games and they haven't allowed a rushing TD all season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I'll admit that I'm no fan of ND.  I think on the last play he was not in when the play was stopped, though he did break the plane of the goal line eventually.  I do think he was in on the earlier carry.  There were some crazy calls against Stanford.  One play was overturned on a sideline reception because they said he bobbled it when his elbow hit the ground.  Except the guy's left knee was on the ground before that.

And then we had NFL referee Ed Hochuli taking pictures with the ND cheerleaders in a game where his son was a referee.   I have a real problem with that.  The father is an attorney and should recognize the appearance of an allegiance to one side in a game where his son is officiating.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Can you hear the whistle on the replay? If the whistle hasn't blown, then his "forward momentum" isn't stopped no matter how long the defense holds him up. This is simply further proof of two things:

1) The NCAA is desperate to have Notre Dame relevant again (even if it's not) and . . .

2) Instant replay accomplishes nothing more than slowing the game down so two sets of officials can be consistently wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

The runner was not down before the ball crossed the goal line.  By all indications, the whistle was not blown so progress was not stopped.  It was a touchdown.

IMO, the referees did not dare to overturn the call.

PS, the referee closest to the ball appeared to be preparing to call a touchdown before looking at the line judge.  The line judge marked the football in a spot that did not coincide with a call of forward progress being stopped before the reach into the endzone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

they got it right, there wasnt enough evidence to overturn the original call. you couldnt say one way or another if he lost control of the ball before or after it crossed the goal line. i had my fingers crossed stanford would get the win, but in the end they made the correct call.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I personally think momentum was stopped. What do you think?

[/QUOTE]

referees not at the game every analyst i saw said it was a td.

horrrible for stanford

helps nd bcs push (as does not playing sec teams).

not the best college football's best moment. 

no whistle, play was nto stopped. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could really go either way (I'm as big an ND fan as there is, and I thought they'd overturn it after reviewing... they didn't, not much else can be said.)... though the sentiment that it was a home team call made just for ND is ridiculous considering they were PAC 12 officials.

Bottom line is:  ND's D is elite... they're tied for #1 in the nation in scoring D with Alabama (7.5 PPG), they haven't allowed a TD in 4 consecutive games and they haven't allowed a rushing TD all season.

[/QUOTE]

yeah congrats to you mb.

nd pulled it out.

though i think stanford spent the whole game trying to give the game away.

will say a little more on the draft thread.

Sections
Shortcuts