How about this: Mallet and a 4th for a 2nd?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

How about this: Mallet and a 4th for a 2nd?

Is this reasonable? Would we need to make it a 3rd if the 2nd round pick is a top 10 2nd rounder?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: How about this: Mallet and a 4th for a 2nd?

I would add that if we could trade a 4th and Mallet for a 2nd I would expect the Pats to draft a QB in round 5 (or possibly round 3 or even 4 if we are able to add another 4th somehow).

By getting another 2nd rounder we could add a pick on the OL, the DL and either S, CB (if we think we are losing Talib) or TE all in the first 2 rounds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this reasonable? Would we need to make it a 3rd if the 2nd round pick is a top 10 2nd rounder?

[/QUOTE]

for a mid 2nd (43-55 range in the 2nd because or 4th is very late) I'd think that would be reasonable and would love to do that deal. Heck our 3rd and Mallett for one of the first 10 picks in the 2nd would be great too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I would add that if we could trade a 4th and Mallet for a 2nd I would expect the Pats to draft a QB in round 5 (or possibly round 3 or even 4 if we are able to add another 4th somehow).

By getting another 2nd rounder we could add a pick on the OL, the DL and either S, CB (if we think we are losing Talib) or TE all in the first 2 rounds.

[/QUOTE]

You are probably right and if that's the case we would really be giving up Mallett, a 4th and a fifth, for a 2nd. Does that seem worth it? I don't know? Maybe, plus we are also going to have to bring in a veteran (and most likely keep him on the active roster..pay him, etc). Too me it wouldn't be worth it if Mallett becomes a pro bowl quarterback - which I don't think will happen - but imagine if it does and the guy we select in the second becomes the next Tavon Wilson? We'd be giving up a pro bowl QB, a 4th, a 5th and money to a veteran QB for Tavon Wilson....yikes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

for a mid 2nd (43-55 range in the 2nd because or 4th is very late) I'd think that would be reasonable and would love to do that deal. Heck our 3rd and Mallett for one of the first 10 picks in the 2nd would be great too

[/QUOTE]

Well it would be great if we could rally improve our O and D lines and ANYTHING else.. TE, S etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well it would be great if we could rally improve our O and D lines and ANYTHING else.. TE, S etc.

[/QUOTE]

I agree which is why if they can trade Mallett and our 3rd for a top 10 2nd round pick and grab a DT with our 1st, Niklas or Fiedrowicz with that traded 2nd, and a SS or starting C/G with our 2nd I would love that draft. would make for a nice haul and fill a lot of positions of need in one shot

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think on value it is reasonable

Then we hold our breath on a bu Qb?

i would be tempted

i think if Houston wouldnt take a Qb number 1 and if ob likes Mallett , this gets more interesting, and I have been clamoring  for more ol and dl. I'd have a hard time saying no

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think BB is better at trading for players than using draft picks well. So if there is interest in Mallet, I would prefer he traded for a player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think BB is better at trading for players than using draft picks well. So if there is interest in Mallet, I would prefer he traded for a player.

[/QUOTE]

That has some truth to it, Would some one who picked a hi draft choice in the Oline and has depth make a trade? I imagine a trade would be after the draft? Some how I think if a trade happens it will include picks, this yrs draft is deep in ipoline they say, but I want someone better than what we have

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I wonder where Mallett would be rated compared to other Qb's in this draft.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'd keep him for that price.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great question

i am not hi on any of the Qbs this year

i wonder what ob thinks?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great question

i wonder what ob thinks?

[/QUOTE]

Bortles is sneaking in as the top QB.... Mallett has more talent if I am not mistaken... Bortles is being consider for his 'potential' yet still raw.  I duno...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great question

i wonder what ob thinks?

[/QUOTE]

Bortles is sneaking in as the top QB.... Mallett has more talent if I am not mistaken... Bortles is being consider for his 'potential' yet still raw.  I duno...

[/QUOTE]

The difference is Mallett only has 1 year left on his rook contract and will be 26 before the season starts. That makes him less valuable than those rooks who might go high in the draft

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great question

i wonder what ob thinks?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The difference is Mallett only has 1 year left on his rook contract and will be 26 before the season starts. That makes him less valuable than those rooks who might go high in the draft

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I think that is really the major hang-up with the Mallett trade idea.  He isn't going to sign another rookie deal, so a team only gets him for the 2014 season on the cheap salary.  Why give up a pick for Mallett when you can give up a pick for a rookie and lock him up on a rookie contract (Cheap) for 4-5 yrs?  He will play for NE in 2014.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great question

i wonder what ob thinks?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I think that is really the major hang-up with the Mallett trade idea.  He isn't going to sign another rookie deal, so a team only gets him for the 2014 season on the cheap salary.  Why give up a pick for Mallett when you can give up a pick for a rookie and lock him up on a rookie contract (Cheap) for 4-5 yrs?  He will play for NE in 2014.

[/QUOTE]

Then again, a team gets him for cheap dollars, if he is the real deal he. Still wouldn't get a lot of money. But I agree with you, the odds are he is a Pat this year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The guy has shown nothing except an inability to play the QB position well in preseason.

A 2nd and a 4th?

Pull the trigger immediately before the other GM sobers up!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Not on the Patriots side.  BB needs Mallett as his backup quarterback in 2014.  Mallett stays, then at the end of the year Mallett walks away a fairly wealthy man.

The trade is far more than reasonable if your team's starting quarterback kind of stinks.  Most of you GMs know who you are, plus a couple of you have more hopes than reality.  For a mere second rounder you get an experienced quarterback with a cannon arm who is too tall to be blocked by leaping linemen.  He has a BB complete stamp of approval, so he can probably pull out one or two victories that your team wouldn't otherwise get.  Plus, if he looks great in camp you can sign him to a four year deal for a reasonable price.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why not  2 1st since we're throwing chit at a wall.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

especially when talking about second round picks. i like collins but take a look at belichicks other second round picks over the last seven or eight years and you will see what i mean.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

no team is going to do that. mallet hasnt played in years and isnt a mobile qb. qbs have to be mobile in this days nfl or they wont last very long unless they are a brady or manning type. the patriots would be lucky to get a fith round pick for him at this point. he isnt going anywhere.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

no team is going to do that. mallet hasnt played in years and isnt a mobile qb. qbs have to be mobile in this days nfl or they wont last very long unless they are a brady or manning type. the patriots would be lucky to get a fith round pick for him at this point. he isnt going anywhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I would say that trading Mallet straight up for an early second is a good deal.  Unless he gets some playing time this season, he will not command a big contract next year.  If a team wants to gamble with a second for him, than I would say yes.  If not, he is a good backup for one more year at least.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Who backs up TB and at what salary?

Are 3 QB's carried on the roster this year? 

Trading Mallett and his salary this year hurts the cap and lessens the roster by carrying a 3rd QB 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who backs up TB and at what salary?

Are 3 QB's carried on the roster this year? 

Trading Mallett and his salary this year hurts the cap and lessens the roster by carrying a 3rd QB 

[/QUOTE]

I've been kinda saying this for awhile.

Sections
Shortcuts