How about this: Mallet and a 4th for a 2nd?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: How about this: Mallet and a 4th for a 2nd?

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who backs up TB and at what salary?

Are 3 QB's carried on the roster this year? 

Trading Mallett and his salary this year hurts the cap and lessens the roster by carrying a 3rd QB 

[/QUOTE]

Good points.  Even if we were to trade Mallett for a draft pick, we would still need to spend a pick to replace him.  I say keep the guy who has talent and knows the system.  Worry about him next offseason when he becomes a FA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Trading Mallett and his salary this year hurts the cap and lessens the roster by carrying a 3rd QB 

[/QUOTE]

Good points.  Even if we were to trade Mallett for a draft pick, we would still need to spend a pick to replace him.  I say keep the guy who has talent and knows the system.  Worry about him next offseason when he becomes a FA.

[/QUOTE]

Thats the point though. The Pats will not have only TB and a 3rd or 5th rd draft choice on the roster. They would need a vet as well

Cassell would cost $3M. 

I truly believe Mallett could step in and play, and costs $700k

that allows the Pats to keep and risk an UDFA QB on the PS, rather than a 3rd rounder 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Is this reasonable? Would we need to make it a 3rd if the 2nd round pick is a top 10 2nd rounder? 

RESPONSE: No. If the Pats did this, than they would be practically giving him away. Remember, they used a relatively high third round pick to get him (74th overall). I'd rather they keep him than do that trade. More reasonable would be to trade him for a high 3rd rounder this year, plus a 3rd rounder next year. That would be a rather low price to pay for a guy who would at least be a 2nd round pick, if he were included in the draft for this year.

If the Texans do not take a QB at #1, but instead take, say, Clowney, I can see them offering the Pats their 3rd round pick this year (the top pick in the third round of what is considered to be a very deep draft), and their 3rd rounder next season, for Mallett.

If the Texans do not take a QB with their first overall pick and don't make a reasonable attempt to land Mallett, that would speak volumes about how Mallett is perceived as a prospect. Other than BB and Josh McDaniels, who would know better than Bill O'Brien?    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats the point though. The Pats will not have only TB and a 3rd or 5th rd draft choice on the roster. They would need a vet as well

Cassell would cost $3M. 

I truly believe Mallett could step in and play, and costs $700k

that allows the Pats to keep and risk an UDFA QB on the PS, rather than a 3rd rounder 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Here is a question... Assuming Mallett stays with the Pats and does not play any meaningful minutes again in 2014, what are the chances, if any, that he would resign with the Pats? It would be in a backup role, but he knows the team and the system and that Brady can't play forever.  Just a crazy thought.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Why is it when a trading of any Patriot this board always under values the worth of the player being mentioned? Conversely I read some crazy blogs suggesting the Patriots should give up everything for another teams player. Mallett is a solid QB and I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 2nd and a 5th round pick or a player who is projected to play for the Patriots. He was a third round draft choice and he hasn't done anything to down grade his initial value, and he's been coached by arguably the best QB coaches in the NFL. McD and O'Brien are two of the top OC's in the game.