How bad do you want Brian Hartline on the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

How bad do you want Brian Hartline on the Patriots?

Because he is looking for a contract paying him $5-6 million annually.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5191/brian-hartline

LOL at him wanting $5-6 million!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Re: How bad do you want Brian Hartline on the Patriots?

26 years, 6`2... experience in the AFC east...  

at the right price... YES !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:

Apparently his price is $5-6 million annually. You think that is the right price for him?  I think not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:

Apparently his price is $5-6 million annually. You think that is the right price for him?  I think not.

You start a thread asking a rhetorical question. Cleary Hartline is a pretty good WR, so I'll ask you a question....What is the right price? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't want him. He is redundant to what Lloyd, Hernandez, Gronk and Edelman already do. Pats need a WR that has the speed and athleticism to separate down field and win one on one battles with DB's. That is not Hartline. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

The deep ball is not Brady's forte.  He'll hit them on occasion but he's never done that on a consistent basis.... l lot of his passing yardage comes from YAC.   Hartline gives Brady another big target ala Gronkowski.  I say get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

Id take hartline in a heartbeat, if welker leaves, as a wes replacment.

But i think that we have more of a need for a true deep threat than wes or a wes replacement.

I completely disagree on Brady not being good at the deep ball. The one year (07) that he had a couple true deep threats (stallworth and moss) he was stellar at it.

IMO, we dont need wes back. Ballard and Gronk can be our 2 TE in our 2 TE sets, and hernandez and edelman can take over wes' slot duties.

Lets spend the money we would spend on Wes and sign a hard hitting Rodney Harrison type safety which is what we have been lacking more than anything defensively the past few years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

He might be a good #3, but the truth is he is not the vertical threat we need

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I doubt the Dolphins let him walk, they have cap space and the guy is young. He gets hurt a lot and misses time/games...even this year he was hurt before the season started. He's only had one good year statistically, but he's played with some bad quaterbacks.

I like how big he is and I've got to think he'd put up numbers here with Brady throwing it to him. The only thing I do know is that we can't give Welker a big contract...not at his age...and not for a guy that is going to drop some of the most important passes of the season. I don't care how many balls he catches during the regular season - over the last three playoff games he has 6 drops. Two of them had a hand in losing the game for us...one of them cost us a Super Bowl. I love Welker, but I think it's obvious he is not worth anything over what the Patriots were offering last off season. I really hope he goes somewhere and continues to catch 100 balls a year, however I know that in the playoffs...in the cold..or with tighter coverage...he won't come through. And that's fine, he's still a great player.

I say we sign one of these smart possesion types for lower money and then try to find a fast, big wide reciever we can send mindlessly down the field four or five times a game in the draft. With a little luck the big, fast, younger guy will get better. At the very least it will force Brady to look elsewhere, rather than just eyeing Welker all game. Don't forget we still have Hern and Gronk that will be center field options too.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to rxmsg's comment:

The deep ball is not Brady's forte.  He'll hit them on occasion but he's never done that on a consistent basis.... l lot of his passing yardage comes from YAC.   Hartline gives Brady another big target ala Gronkowski.  I say get him.

Hmmmmm.......would the season of 2007 have any significants here.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Hmmmmm.......would the season of 2007 have any significants here.......

The significance is Brady was 29 years old in 2007. And well thrown, accurate deep balls are harder to come by for anyone going on to 36.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A possession receiver with average speed... why?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

He had 1 good year with 74 receptions 1083 yards and a TD. Sure I'd like him here but not at 5-6 million and not as the answer to play opposite of Lloyd

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Hartline is pretty good - tough - but not what is needed.

Weker and Lloyd need to be replaced by Fitzgerald and Amendola.  That would be ideal.  But I expect Welker and Lloyd back next year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Hartline is pretty good - tough - but not what is needed.

Weker and Lloyd need to be replaced by Fitzgerald and Amendola.  That would be ideal.  But I expect Welker and Lloyd back next year.

How is that ideal?

You have one receiver who will require a kings ransom (plus he has a huge contract)

And another receiver who likely wont leave stl, and has been way too injury prone.

If the Patriots found a way to acquire these two players, theyd be over paying for one of them while pretty much pay the other one to rehab an injury.

And acquiring Fitz probably means you're giving up draft picks to pick up defensive players and cap space to sign/resign defensive players

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

He probably won't get that, so I wouldn't consider that number firm.  4 or 4.5 is a good number.

You could offer him 4, let Welker go, and then also bring in another quality flanker who can run all the routes and maybe give them some perimeter size as well.

You have to look at the those mid level vets, the ones that aren't stars, on teams with new GMs and/or cap issues.

If the Bears are to release Earl Bennett, it would be a coup to get him in here with a Hartline.  Lloyd, Hartline and Bennett? Pretty sick considering the TE depth here.

I actually think that is a reasonable number for Hartline. $6M sounds way to high (he should not be making more than guys like Roddy White). I do like his size.

Are the Bears talking about releasing Bennett. I know he has some injury history, but I think he would be a good fit.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to thejuice1's comment:

Id take hartline in a heartbeat, if welker leaves, as a wes replacment.

But i think that we have more of a need for a true deep threat than wes or a wes replacement.

I completely disagree on Brady not being good at the deep ball. The one year (07) that he had a couple true deep threats (stallworth and moss) he was stellar at it.

IMO, we dont need wes back. Ballard and Gronk can be our 2 TE in our 2 TE sets, and hernandez and edelman can take over wes' slot duties.

Lets spend the money we would spend on Wes and sign a hard hitting Rodney Harrison type safety which is what we have been lacking more than anything defensively the past few years.

Hartline as Wes replacement? Hartline doesn't have the same route tree has Wes, are you just assuming he can replace Wes because they're both white WRs?

Brady's deep ball is just okay, he was stellar in '07 because he had the greatest deep threat of all time. Moss even made Culpepper look like an all pro QB.

Edelman is best suited to replace Wes if he can stay heathly. Hern can play slot too, he's not as quick as Wes though. If they use Hern as the slot man, we will probably see a completely different Patriots offense next season...which could be for good or for bad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't get this Brady deep ball is not accurate stuff? The limited times a Pats WR was able to separate deep, Brady put the ball on him. What Pats WR is able to run a deep pattern, and if he doesn't get separation, is able to win a one on one battle with a DB ? (Gronk wins deep one on one battles but he is not a WR) Brady knows putting a ball up for grabs is most likely a low percentage pass and prefers to avoid the int. Given a WR that can separate or win these battles, I see no reason that Brady can't throw the deep ball. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

On a scale on 1-10...0

Guys, there are black WRs in the NFL too...and some of them are pretty good. What's with the affectation for white WRs? Amendola, Hartline, Collie...you guys want them all, but they all do the same thing. Possesion WRs with limited speed, call me when Jordy Nelson comes knocking. In an ideal world, I'd love to have Mike Wallace come through the door, but I doubt that'll happen.

Maybe a WR corps with Lloyd, Hernandez, Stallworth, Edelman and (Maybe) Amendola is good enough. I'd rather take the 8-12 million the Patriots will offer Welker and put it into the defense. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

On a scale on 1-10...0

Guys, there are black WRs in the NFL too...and some of them are pretty good. What's with the affectation for white WRs? Amendola, Hartline, Collie...you guys want them all, but they all do the same thing. Possesion WRs with limited speed, call me when Jordy Nelson comes knocking. In an ideal world, I'd love to have Mike Wallace come through the door, but I doubt that'll happen.

Maybe a WR corps with Lloyd, Hernandez, Stallworth, Edelman and (Maybe) Amendola is good enough. I'd rather take the 8-12 million the Patriots will offer Welker and put it into the defense. 

Are you seriously bringing race into this?

I'd rather put Brady under center and run more traditional sets vs watch him look for two of his most obvious options inside the hashes over and over.

Yes, I am. I don't think it's a malicious thing where most of the guys on this board only want white WRs, but...well, a white WR is always on the top of the priority list. I get it, it's Boston, we're always looking for Larry Bird, but there are better talent out there. 

Hartline for 5 million? Pass...let me hear what Jennings and Wallace want. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

If the Pats are willing to spend somewhere in the 5-6 mil low end to 8-9 mil high end for guys like Welker and Harline they might want to look at inquiring about Percy Harvin.

Harvin can provide the slot production with more big play ability, can make plays outside the numbers and is one of the league's best kick returners.

Jennings or Wallace would most directly provide what is missing but both look like they're wanting big paydays.

To get an affordable flanker type may require drafting one.

Sections
Shortcuts