How can a Belichick defense be this bad?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: How can a Belichick defense be this bad?

In response to Bunker Spreckels' comment:

The better question is, that in an offensive era, how can our loaded offense be this bad, falling asleep for 3 straight qtrs? On the road?  How many more examples of not committing to a run do we need to see? 

I think it was Prolate last year claiming that Brady is playing "with one hand tied behind his back". LMAO

How about this? Wake up, TOm Brady.  You don't have to be a hero. It's not all about you and throwing. Run the ball forward for once.  Don't take horrendous intentional groundings. You took one in the SB to start the game and it's one reason why we lost the SB.

If the blame needs to go to BB for not taking over more so than he has, then so be it. The problem is the offense, not being ultra picky over a young D in a Goodell Era where offense is favored to succeed for ratings and revenue.

We will have a slew of pink hats in the stands next week acting like a bad offense going 3 and out or a QB tossing wild balls all over doesn't matter, excited to run to the interwebs and phones to whine about how BB ruined their team for Tommy Boy.

We don't win 3 SBs with this kind of offense being run like this. Kidnap Charlie Weis and slap Brady and McDaniels.  

Commiting to a run that was getting 3.3 yards a carry? Laughable.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:

What's your prediction on these?  Will it be Wilson or Cromartie that picks off Brady in the end zone?  Will Landry break Gronk in two or just knock Gronk out of the game?  What Jet receiver will  Sanchez dominate that awful Patriot secondary with?  Hill? Keller? Kerley?  Will Tebow convert 2 or 3 fake punts?  Will the Patritos dare to kick the ball to McNight?

Offended? Who's offended? Those were legitimate questions.  

I agree, those are all legit questions. After the 'give one away' in Seattle debacle this fanbase will be very concerned about the Jets next game. Especially, After a loss this board sounds just like the Jets board, no difference. AND, I don't blame this board one bit either. Who or what to blame? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this loss.

Failure to get one more 1st down at the end, failure to take easy points before the half. Mismangement by all coaches and perhaps Bellichick should station himself in the booth during a few games so he sees what we all see as fans, we can't all be wrong. A virtual 50 yard+ Hail Mary thrown 3 strories high, while playing cover two on one guy that was wide open. Hmmmm

I hear the local high Schools have some D'backs that can cover but especially good at knocking down passes ..... Other than those, I dunno ....

have a good evening PhatRex

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

When was the last time a BB defense was better than average?

BB is the PROBLEM!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

BB is the PROBLEM!

the defense outplayed the offense in last year's playoffs

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The better question is, that in an offensive era, how can our loaded offense be this bad, falling asleep for 3 straight qtrs? On the road?  How many more examples of not committing to a run do we need to see? 

I think it was Prolate last year claiming that Brady is playing "with one hand tied behind his back". LMAO

How about this? Wake up, TOm Brady.  You don't have to be a hero. It's not all about you and throwing. Run the ball forward for once.  Don't take horrendous intentional groundings. You took one in the SB to start the game and it's one reason why we lost the SB.

If the blame needs to go to BB for not taking over more so than he has, then so be it. The problem is the offense, not being ultra picky over a young D in a Goodell Era where offense is favored to succeed for ratings and revenue.

We will have a slew of pink hats in the stands next week acting like a bad offense going 3 and out or a QB tossing wild balls all over doesn't matter, excited to run to the interwebs and phones to whine about how BB ruined their team for Tommy Boy.

We don't win 3 SBs with this kind of offense being run like this. Kidnap Charlie Weis and slap Brady and McDaniels.  

Commiting to a run that was getting 3.3 yards a carry? Laughable.

You simply don't know the game. As usual. Stick to canasta which we know you love playing with Gladys and Milton on Tuesday nights.   Answer this for the board:

How many of the 58 passing plays by Brady was Ridley on the field for?

LOL

Case closed. Trust me when I tell you, some of us are 50 steps ahead of you on this.

Nobody trusts you here - LMAO. I doubt ONE person even takes you seriously other than your fake accounts. You're a bad joke to just about everyone.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

You guys ask the same quesation every year.  like a broken record.

How can a BB defense be so bad?

Are you noticing a pattern?

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

BB is the PROBLEM!

LIke I said, you're a moron to the nth degree.

Afraid to answer the question inyternet (pansy) tough guy?  Maybe if you weren't changing your name on this board every 3.2 weeks, you might be able to watch sports and learn something.

Tell me the last BB defense that was better than average, genius. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Its really easy. All they have to do is walk onto the field.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

When Belichick takes the podium and gives his standard statement..we need to coach better, we need to play better - it goes all around - offense, defense, special teams...he should add that we need to draft better as well. Also when he says we need to coach it better, he really has a point this time. I don't know any head coach or coordinator that calls some of time outs that were called today and allows time to be wasted two weeks in a row before a half when there was points to be had. Nor do you let 12 men to be on the field in the crucial final minutes of a game. Or let your safeties get toasted for a touchdown in the last possesion.

Someone needs to be held accountable for the better interests of the team here.

Great Post and I share those concerns. We're all pizzed after this one was given away mthurl.
    Just like some 'other' very important games the Pats lost it's difficult although easy enough for a fan to say it was D or O or a certain person, play, or penalty, we can argue forever. All Teams win some and lose some just like us but this one loss NEEDS FIXING and fast. ACCOUNTABILITY  is Bellichick and COACHES.  The D'Backs bother me the most. What do these coaches see in practice, the same? We've been screaming here since last year about bad technique whether in man or space....it goes on and on!

Some people here will call us bandwagon fans or pink hats for complaining about management. Even the best managers in Business, sports etc need to hire the ones that get the job done - playmakers, movers and shakers - we just don't have those in the Dbacks.  The D did not get us to the SB these last 4 years it was 3 key playmakers in the offense that did that. Eliminate 3 key people from the 'O' NOW and I see maybe 6 wins this year. However, the O will get us to the final game again this year. Not these defensive genious coaches! You can't fix a water leak with duct tape .... and leave home.

The forum board is especially entertaining to read after a loss. We all have different views as to why, who, what, when, whatever and thats Good. Thank you all.

Take it easy ....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's picked a few good players on defense but the DB's that he's drafted are all horrible. Everyone here pretty much wanted hIm to pick Janorus Jenkins instead of Wilson . Big big mistake. Jenkins is a shut down corner while Wilson looks like a backup safety.

In response to sporter81's comment:

He's picked a few good players on defense but the DB's that he's drafted are all horrible. Everyone here pretty much wanted hIm to pick Janorus Jenkins instead of Wilson . Big big mistake. Jenkins is a shut down corner while Wilson looks like a backup safety.

If Jenkins played here - he would struggle because BB refuses to blitz or be creative on defense.  He makes it impossible for a defense to succeed.

I am amazed that he was once considered a defensive genius.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:

It's widely known that it takes well over 5 years to rebuild a defense.  Don't forget about all of those probowlers that BB has had to replace.  This cannot be done overnight.  The Patriots are fortunate to have someone like BB in charge.  He gets it in the salary cap era.  He knows the importants of depth and it shows with the ability of that secondary to step up again and again.  

As always, right on time, Phathead always shows up to drop insults when the Pats lose.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I don't know where the idea that it takes five years to build a defense comes from. This defense (specifically the defensive backfield - and let us not forget that BB was the secondary coach under Parcells both here and with the Jets) has actually gotten worse over the last five years. 

Chandler Jones is a freak and makes up for a lot. Spikes is great against the run (although I think you want more than 5 tackles from your starting LB). Ninkovich is a decent pass rusher. On the whole though, this team is plain terrible against the pass. If anything the young players (Chung and McCourty) look like they have gotten worse during their careers with the Patriots. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

McCourty is absolutely horrendus.. he runs around out there with absolutely no purpose, covering empty zones, and any play that is remotely close is a PI on him, why is he dressed?

Why isn't he released ?

it's crazy.. EVERY game he is directly responsible for points 

Looks very bad to release a 1st round pick. Most coaches keep them around for most of the rookie contract if at all possible so they don't look like idiots for picking them.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:

What excuses will anyone have for this defense now I know the offense didn't play well today, but we had a 23-10 leald in 4th quarter until the defense collapsed.  The Offense got slowed down by the best defense in NFL, but still scored 23 points. I still think the offense has let down in the clutch moments in the last couple years, but the defense is the main problem.

Can anyone for the love of god please explain to me how can Belichick have the worst defensive backfield in NFL? Every year we make up excuses for why this secondary sucks! Every close game out there that we play, the defensive chokes and gives up the win. 
    If the Pats arent winning by more than 7 , and we can see it from a mile away that the defense will give it up. This is without a doubt the worst and the most useless secondary in the NFL.  It has been the case for 4 years now.  Each year we try to convince ourselves why it will be better , yet we never ever see dominating defensive showings for full 60 minutes.This defense makes every  QB look like Dan Marino out there.  Give up 2 touchdowns in 5 minutes to Russell Wilson. That is embarassing and incompetent.

Worst secondary in the NFL, without a doubt. Please no one mention Belichick as a defensive genius ever again after he's been fielding the most awful secondary in the NFL for past 4 years.  Letting Asante Samuel go was a huge mistake. Where do we go from here?  Every team knows the secondary sucks and will continue to launch deep throws, and either completle them or get a penalty.

We have asked this question for a few years.  For a bloke that had Linebackers like Lawrence Taylor,Bruschi,Willie Mac,Vrabel etc who were all dominant forces on d it is hard to imagine him having a D so bad for so long. We were puzzled last year but they still made the Superbowl where having bad defensive backs really came back to haunt them. I want to see how they progress from here. The Patriots have Brady still but his time is running out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

As with every knee jerk assessment on this board it is always the players, never the scheme or play calling.  

I don't know if you guys noticed but in our championship years we primarily ran a 3/4 defense, one year we ran a lot of 4/3 (not the 4 man nickel defense we run now) but a true 4/3 with 4 defensive linemen across the front and mainly because our linebacking corp was struck hard with injuries.

Since we've run this 2/4/5 or 2/5/4 defense with the new "passing league" rules we've been horrid. Make the shift back to the 3/4 and 3/3/5 nickel and this defense suddenly becomes very good.  Belichick is outsmarting himself on this one.

• Sections
    Shortcuts