How Can We Hide Butler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Re: How Can We Hide Butler?

You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still be a pig! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

In Response to Re: How Can We Hide Butler?:
    [QUOTE]You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still be a pig! 
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]
    Yep.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He's not really short for a corner but it's a valid question. 

Can't place all the defensive blame on him but he bears a lot of it.  I think I remember last year when the dolphins corners were getting lit up Parcells saying something like sometimes the best thing you can do for a player in a funk is to let them play out of it.  I don't know if the Pats can afford that strategy.

Unfortunately the Bodden injury forced them to put in a guy that may not have been ready and that guy appears to be Butler.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them try someone else, or try to scheme a little help his way but the reality is Ty Law ain't coming back so we may have to watch him develop.  And yeah, that could be painful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]He's not really short for a corner but it's a valid question.  Can't place all the defensive blame on him but he bears a lot of it.  I think I remember last year when the dolphins corners were getting lit up Parcells saying something like sometimes the best thing you can do for a player in a funk is to let them play out of it.  I don't know if the Pats can afford that strategy. Unfortunately the Bodden injury forced them to put in a guy that may not have been ready and that guy appears to be Butler.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them try someone else, or try to scheme a little help his way but the reality is Ty Law ain't coming back so we may have to watch him develop.  And yeah, that could be painful.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I agree.  His technique could be better, like turning to watch the ball, but we knew he wasn't starting material and lacks experience.  Hopefully his technique will improve.  Remember how injuries helped deepen the 2003/2004 Pats?

One thing nobody seems to mention here is that he made the same kinds of P/I plays that the Jets' DBs were getting away with against Moss all game.  So maybe the coaches told Butler to get more physical, because the refs were "letting them play." BB tells his players to adjust their play to how the refs are calling the games. Seems like Butler was a victim in a disparity of officiating P/I.  (And no, this is not a whiney excuse for the Pats losing.) Watch how Moss was covered and you will see what I mean. There is no difference in the extent of contact by the Jets' DBs compared to Butler.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from changes1677. Show changes1677's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Can We Hide Butler? : I agree.  His technique could be better, like turning to watch the ball, but we knew he wasn't starting material and lacks experience.  Hopefully his technique will improve.  Remember how injuries helped deepen the 2003/2004 Pats? One thing nobody seems to mention here is that he made the same kinds of P/I plays that the Jets' DBs were getting away with against Moss all game.  So maybe the coaches told Butler to get more physical, because the refs were "letting them play." BB tells his players to adjust their play to how the refs are calling the games. Seems like Butler was a victim in a disparity of officiating P/I.  (And no, this is not a whiney excuse for the Pats losing.) Watch how Moss was covered and you will see what I mean. There is no difference in the extent of contact by the Jets' DBs compared to Butler.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

i agree with you for the most part.  There was one of the PI calls where i was like did they really call that on him? I dont even think the ball was even a catchable ball.  But another note on the cbs.  i know mccourty got beat a few times in that game but so did the entire secondary but besides that i think this guy might be the real deal.  I hardly saw them throw it his way at all.  He had some killer coverage.  They were avoiding his way like they avoid revis.  Now im really wishing we didnt have bodden injured because i can only imagine what it would have done with him and mccourty starting and butler coming in as the third instead of wihlite

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Hide him on the bench.  Play Merriweather at corner. Impossible to do worse. 

Up-side - lay some terrific hits on the WR who, by the 4th quarter, might not be so eager to lay themselves out for a catch.  Not to mention better overall run defense. 

Now that Butler has been exposed, cannot keep things the same. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

[QUOTE]Hide him on the bench.  Play Merriweather at corner. Impossible to do worse.  Up-side - lay some terrific hits on the WR who, by the 4th quarter, might not be so eager to lay themselves out for a catch.  Not to mention better overall run defense.  Now that Butler has been exposed, cannot keep things the same.  Dish Network  
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]
    I agree...do you think BB will do this? Do we have a Safety problem also, making Butler more exposed?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I almost hate to say it but.........hopefully Wheatly will be back soon.  He didn't sux to bad and even showed signs of mediocrity during pre-season, which would be a vast improvement over Butler.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Let him play. He's always around the play, just not ever on the play. He's not like Wilhite last year who just doesn't get it. He gets it. He's better suited for the slot, but what can we do? 

Let him play, get better, he won't be as bad as he was last game. He'll get better, but it's nice to see that Ron Brace started the game and no surprise that the Pats were able to break through, arguably, the best OL in the league with him pushing the the line. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

How do you hide the entire defense? Lol you cant its gotta go through this and you know the growing pains look good. One week Butler shuts down Chad Johnson and gets schooled by Edwards. 

As games progress and in the offseason we will get a better picture of whats going on but for now hop off the kids jock and let him play. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: How Can We Hide Butler?: Was this supposed to be a serious post? The Jets have aggressive and talented DBs who play well through the entire play. Butler has no business being on the field. He is weak and we are to assume he MUST be a great future prospect because BB drafted him and he is only inexperienced. Maybe he is not talented and is a bust. To say that just because he picks up a receiver at the line like Cromartie or Wilson did that he is playing "the same way" or absurdly claiming the refs let Cromartie do things they do not let Butler do, is the height of drinking Pat kool-aid. This Butler doesn't do anything. And when we begin to roll more help his way, the other guys will get burned.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Can We Hide  Butler? : I agree.  His technique could be better, like turning to watch the ball, but we knew he wasn't starting material and lacks experience.  Hopefully his technique will improve.  Remember how injuries helped deepen the 2003/2004 Pats? One thing nobody seems to mention here is that he made the same kinds of P/I plays that the Jets' DBs were getting away with against Moss all game.  So maybe the coaches told Butler to get more physical, because the refs were "letting them play." BB tells his players to adjust their play to how the refs are calling the games. Seems like Butler was a victim in a disparity of officiating P/I.  (And no, this is not a whiney excuse for the Pats losing.) Watch how Moss was covered and you will see what I mean. There is no difference in the extent of contact by the Jets' DBs compared to Butler.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: How Can We Hide Butler?: The Jets avoided McCourty for one reason: the pickings are so scrumptious for them with Butler and Wheatley.
    As the years roll on, it will be interesting to see if BB made the right move in taking McCourty over Wilson.[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Can We Hide Butler? : i agree with you for the most part.  There was one of the PI calls where i was like did they really call that on him? I dont even think the ball was even a catchable ball.  But another note on the cbs.  i know mccourty got beat a few times in that game but so did the entire secondary but besides that i think this guy might be the real deal.  I hardly saw them throw it his way at all.  He had some killer coverage.  They were avoiding his way like they avoid revis.  Now im really wishing we didnt have bodden injured because i can only imagine what it would have done with him and mccourty starting and butler coming in as the third instead of wihlite
    Posted by changes1677[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Corners get paid big bucks because there's no way to hide a bad one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

In Response to How Can We Hide Butler?:

Put him in the garden among the other dwarfs?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think this is about hiding Butler so much as it is about the Patriots front 7 playing more aggressively so that Butler and the other CB's/Safeties are not victimized as the QB get 5+ seconds to drop back and pass. 

Butler and the other young guys are going to have their bumps as they learn professional football. we just happen to be lucky with McCourtey as he seems to be legit out of the shoot. 

If you watched the 49'ers game last night, you will know what I mean. Patrick Willis was everywhere making plays. We need the same out of Mayo and Spikes. These guys need to fly to the QB and we need to put some added pressure and not let opposing WR's run wild. I think this starts in the front 7. I would like to see more of the 4 man line, or blitzing more. God knows we can't get any pressure by bringing 3 all the time. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zazen1. Show zazen1's posts

[QUOTE]Is there ANY defensive scheme where he is NOT exposed? He's too short and too confused.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

Pass coverage is always exposed by bad pass rush.  While the DBs were bad and I was screaming for Butler to be benched the most disturbing thing is the year in and year out lack of a pass rush.  It looked like we would have one after the first half of the Cincy game but in the second half it disappeared.  The same thing happened here.  Good start, then no pressure on Sanchez from there on.  Does anyone else beside me think that Mayo is a huge disappointment so far?  I can't remember the last time that guy made a big play. 

Besides the inability to acquire talent to put together a pass rush BB seems to get out schemed with half time adjustments every single game.  I hate to say it because it's probably more a result of his coordinators but right now Rex Ryan is a much better coach than BB.  He's out coached him in 2 out of 3 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

We can't hide Butler, unless the offense can manage 40 minutes of posession a game.  There is no one else to take his place.

As with the rest of the defense the team has no choice but to leave those guys out there and hope that they become players. 

Again the offense can do a lot more to help this situation than anyone else, including the coaches.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

cold football facts sites bill walsh with installing 3 rookies in his defensive backfield which lead the team to become the best defensive secondary for the next 17 years....we all know how that ended up....   sound familiar???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree...Mayo is a disappointment. He is a high first round talent, 3 years in the system, and should be playing at a higher level...a playmaker, like Patrick Willis. Possibly he doesn't have the talent that Willis does? It could be just that simple. 

What I don't see out of this defense is aggression and a mean streak. Also, i would think that BB understands that in order to create consistent pressure, you need to send more than 3 guys occasionally. It looked like we were rushing 3 a majority of the time and hoped our young CB's would cover. I think we need to take the exact opposite approach...bring the house and dare the QB to locate the open man in a short amount of time. Butler and McCourty should hold up just fine. 

I scratch my head because BB is supposedly a "defensive genius". He doesn't seem to be living up to the hype over the past 4+ years. clearly outcoached by Rex and this is not acceptable. I'm sick and tired of him saying, "we stunk all the way around...including our coaching". 

I understand the Pats are going to lose games..no team is perfect..and they are going to have their bumps with young guys learning the way....but there is no excuse for poor effort, poor energy and a lack of intensity. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Jcour,

Chung and McCourty certainly have that potential. I would like to see Page step up at safety because Meriweather and Butler although "adequate" are not probowl caliber talent. I still think Meriweather needs to be moved as the slot CB in nickel/dime situations, and Page starting opposite Chung if he is legit (as his stats show) and can pick up the system quickly. Possibly even bring in Arrington...BB needs to find the right formula. I think overall the talent is there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

[QUOTE]Is there ANY defensive scheme where he is NOT exposed? He's too short and too confused.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

This team decided in the off season to not address the defense and go with rookies,  BOTTOM LINE.  We all have to suffer now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i think the point of my post was that bill did address the defense...he has totally re-tooled it with young players, fast aggresive players....

arm chair headcoaches and gms want the results yesterday...  bill walsh knew he needed a change and installed 3 rookies in his secondary and gave them the chance to grow together... forsight...he lived with the bumps and bruises and eventually that team became a dynasty...   i think our bill has that forsight..

be patient people it is only the second game...defense will get better...offense will as well...even though they are already pretty darn good...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]Corners get paid big bucks because there's no way to hide a bad one.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Good point...

How can you really hide a bad DB...

Teams will attack that weakness often...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

Butler will sink or swim. Thats it. He needs to figure it out and stop saying I played bad. We know that already, show us somethnig we don't know!

Sections
Shortcuts