How deep is the offensive line and the defensive secondary?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

How deep is the offensive line and the defensive secondary?

You cannot lose another running back or the quarterback.This is importance of the first question.
    The second question is also relevant since Patriot fans watched the Colts gain their fleeting dominance with the return of one safety.Most Patriot fans one defensive back or safety will be picked on during a game. Great defensive backs do not see the ball,they cover the other weaker backs.
    Did the Patriots create a good rotation up front on the offense?Did they find some talent in the draft for the secondary?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Re: How deep is the offensive line and the defensive secondary?

I actually think the term "deep" is perfect to describe both units.  The offensive line has been together for a long time - you can't under sell that.  They've also got some young guys and veterans backing them up who can step in and, at minimum, play well.  I don't think they're dominating but very strong and certainly deep.

The secondary is the same deal.  I personally thought the Redskins were being the Redskins by cutting Springs.  He's one of the best shut down corners in the league despite his age (health and stamina for the season are the only questions).  I live in DC and I've seen the guy play.  This is another example, to me, of Belichick knowing what a veteran is capable of and taking a small risk for high potential rewar.  Behind him you've got 2 or 3 solid corners regardless of who you pick (Bodden at the top of my list).  I'm confident in the Safeties - Sanders, Meriweather and Chung.  Again, whichever four players are on the field are not necessarily Pro Bowlers but they're deep and strong.  By the time they start playing some of the more passing oriented offenses they should be in high gear.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Shawn Springs has slowed down markedly and is injury prone. Why is it that anytime BB picks up a veteran player, everyone wants to claim it is another Randy Moss genius pick-up?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

The fact that BB gave him a 3 year contract makes me think they still have a lot of confidence in him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The offensive line is deep, in fact I believe our backup tackles O'Callaghan and Vollmer are better than Light and Kaczur our starters.  We need to lock up Mankins but beyond that we have good rotational depth at the line position and one of the best coaches in the league at that position in Dante S.

The secondary is substantially deeper than in recent years, even if Springs is too old to keep going, Darius Butler and Chung were big pick ups, Meriweather and Sanders are due for a breakout season in terms of development, Wheately made Hobbs expendable in the slot and we have solid role players in Whilite, Richardson and the rest.  I'm a little wary of Bodden as I've grown gun shy from these tall corners we seemingly acquire every year only to find out they aren't that good after all... I may be wrong, if so we're even deeper than I envisioned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think they have pretty good depth right now. The question is, who will still be here after training camp? I like the youth they have aquired in the secondary, especially at safety. I have high hopes for both Butler and Chung, and think Chung may be seeing significant playing time come the end of the season. He's smart and tough, and was a good leader in college. The biggest problem they've had over the years in the secondary is injuries. Hopefully we'll see a lot less than we did in 08. The O-line is solid, IMO. They got a bad rap last year with all the sacks on Cassel. But the majority of those were early on, when Cassel was holding onto the ball far too long. By the end of the season he had improved drastically (with the exception of the Steelers game, but they were the best defense in the league). This depth on the line will be needed, too. Next offseason some hard choices will have to be made. I also think with Brady back the line will look much better. My biggest concern with the team is at LB. That seems to be coming along a bit slower than I had hoped.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

The old saying "you can never be too rich or too thin" can be applied to football: 'no matter how many players you have, you are never deep enough.'

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSharkjeff. Show TheSharkjeff's posts

In Response to Re: How deep is the offensive line and the defensive secondary?:
    [QUOTE]The offensive line is deep, in fact I believe our backup tackles O'Callaghan and Vollmer are better than Light and Kaczur our starters.  We need to lock up Mankins but beyond that we have good rotational depth at the line position and one of the best coaches in the league at that position in Dante S. The secondary is substantially deeper than in recent years, even if Springs is too old to keep going, Darius Butler and Chung were big pick ups, Meriweather and Sanders are due for a breakout season in terms of development, Wheately made Hobbs expendable in the slot and we have solid role players in Whilite, Richardson and the rest.  I'm a little wary of Bodden as I've grown gun shy from these tall corners we seemingly acquire every year only to find out they aren't that good after all... I may be wrong, if so we're even deeper than I envisioned.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Umm you sir are on notice.

O'Callahan is not better than Kaczur first off. Volmer hasnt played a DOWN in the NFL. Unless you have seen him play in college I highly doubt you can come up with the assesment that hes better than Light whos a top 10-12 LT.

Sanders has hit his cieling and Chung is going to be aiming for his job. Meriweather is due for a huge season he was two huge drops away from 6 picks. He didnt start the full year and still finished off with very good numbers not great but very good.

The assesment on taller corners is true but the Pats rarely go after tall corners and they havent gone after corners with a track record like Leigh. Bodden had 6 picks and then was traded to the Lions because the Browns are idiots and they needed a NT.

Bodden is going to become a fan favorite very quickly. Wheatley did make Hobbs expendable and drafting Butler sealed Hobbs the midgets plane ticket even further.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

while hobbs was a good return man and a very solid CB who withstood alot of injuries and still played his salary of 3 million was far too much when we had players such as wheatley/whilite that could take on his duties and perform just as well. the only area where he will be missed is the return game.  I was sad to see him go cause he fit the mold of a patriot (team player, plays through injuries, listens to coaches criticisms, does his best every play, and tries to improve daily)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

how deep? There are likely going to be at least 3 O-Linemen the Pats will cut  and that will make it onto other teams and play during the regular season. The secondary was deep enough to trade a starting cornerback from last year and one of the league's best returners because he'd fallen to 6th on the depth chart at CB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the positions are always deep in the beginning of the season.its the injuries that hurts depth as the season goes on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Deep like the holes in swiss cheese.

If Darius doesn't cut it, then look out.
    The safety doesn't hit like a mac truck anymore either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

jbolt:

Ah kohai, you are reverting back to your old form....oh well, that is why you are saddled with your Sempai.....

Lesson of the day: Be careful of how you perceive things

"Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub;
    It is the center hole that makes it useful.
    Shape clay into a vessel;
    It is the space within that makes it useful.
    Cut doors and windows for a room;
    It is the holes which make it useful.
    Therefore benefit comes from what is there;
    Usefulness from what is not there."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Deep like the holes in swiss cheese. If Darius doesn't cut it, then look out. The safety doesn't hit like a mac truck anymore either.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I assume you are speaking about Rodney. However both Merriweather and Chung are very good hitters, too. If you want to talk about swiss cheese, you can go to FoodChannel.com, or maybe SignonSanDiego.com! It seems that your Chargers had one of the most porous defenses in the league last season! Maybe you should be worrying about that instead of the Patriots defense!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]O'Callahan is not better than Kaczur first off. Volmer hasnt played a DOWN in the NFL. Unless you have seen him play in college I highly doubt you can come up with the assesment that hes better than Light whos a top 10-12 LT.
    Posted by TheSharkjeff[/QUOTE]

O'Callaghan in 2006 saw action in 11 games as a rookie, starting six contests at right tackle helping pave the way for the Patriots to record 1,969 rushing yards, the team's second highest total in the last 18 years.  In 2007 Light and Kaczur both vets who would never lose a starting spot to injury, stayed healthy except for the final game of the season where Ryan made his first start of the season at right tackle.  O'Callghan contributed to an offensive line that only surrendered one sack to the league's top rated pass rush unit in over 43 drop backs as the Patriots completed their season undefeated for the fourth time in NFL history with a 38-35 comeback victory over the Giants. 

He didn't play in the Super Bowl, they lost incidentally... 

Vollmer is just as likely to be a bust when you only consider his overall level of experience with football, but physically he is as large and athletic as O'Callaghan so I'm basing my judgment more on Dante Scarnecchia being able to do his job rather than Vollmer's questioned ability to do his.  IMO the PAT's have long asked him to do a lot with very little and he has put together some great units out of piecemeal parts, low round draft picks and vets from other teams who didn't want them any longer. 

Light and Kaczur are good players but are probably more guard than tackle, very mobile and good at the run but susceptible to speed rushers on the edge.  Bigger more voluminous tackles stuff those rushers with less help from the tightends, which than opens them up in the passing game.  I see this more as a philosophical change by the PAT's rather than disparaging our own players. Bigger often is better...

I hope your right about Bodden and he isn't another Tory James sitting on the bench until we need him to guard a 6'5" receiver or getting cut outright.  He is here on a short, make or break tour to prove he's one of the better corners in the league and earn the huge mega money by playing for the greatest defensive mind in the league, if he doesnt make it here he will washout fast.  Either way he is probably gone after this season...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Thanks for all the information, Wozzy. Greatly appreciated. I like the depth on an O Line that went unheralded and was castigated after the SB. This line has proven that it can pass protect, trap, sweep and hitch the best of them. All plays that require versatility and athleticism in the trenches.

I'd say grasping the system will play a large part in who sees significant playing in the defensive backfield. Meriweather and Bodden should be on there, but only because I have not seen any of the rookies play. Can Meriweather play LCB if necessary  ? Tory James, Deltha O Neal ughhhh..... at least Randall gave the Pats a quality sub-package player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

JohnHannahrulz,

I agree with the system assessment completely, the talent is there for sure.  Meriweather seems to do better with the field in front of him rather than looking backwards, he will get a lot of picks this year at free safety I think.  The signs say Butler looks great so far in camp, he looks like an Asante Samuel clone to me but possibly with more Ty Law toughness, I have high hopes he begins the season as a starter.  Sanders should be a year smarter and a surer tackler but Chung is the future; he plays like a missle, blows people up and has a high football IQ.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How deep is the offensive line and the defensive secondary? : Wait a minute, Wozzy: the Pats lost SB 42?  :  )  Just funnin', friends!
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

... and than Plaxico Burress decided to show some fools in a nightclub how tough he was but shooting himself in the leg.  I'm sure those guys knew better than to mess with him after that.  All in good fun.

Sections
Shortcuts