How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

Just curious as to how you guys became Patriots fans. 

I remember watching the Snow Bowl with my father, back in the 01/02 season. He was watching because Brady and Woodson were playing, both University of Michigan grads, where my father attended college for undergrad. Watching Brady lead his team, and his calm, cool demeanor, caused me to fall in love with him, and then the Patriots. I live in central Virginia, and have no ties to the New England area, and I'm one of the biggest Pats fans you'll ever find. I've gone through the ups and downs, and have ripped paper up after the 2005 Denver loss. I spent many hours awake, recounting what could have happened after the 2006 Colts loss. I was on the brink of tears, and not capable of living normally for a few days following the loss to the Giants. 

But it's so rewarding to be a fan of a team, and this is why. The failures, and all the suffering you do as a fan makes the success taste even better.

GO PATS!

Feel free to share you own stories!

GO PATS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

Great question!

I became a football fan first and foremost when watching games with my grandfather.  My extended family lives in NY so of course we watched the Giants.  In NH...there were still more Giants games on tv than Patriots in the mid to late 80s.  I remember watching the SB when that kick went wide right.  That was one exciting game to watch.  Of course when Parcells came to NE...we both watched and followed closely.  My grandfather was the most mild-mannered person, but when football was on and he saw a stupid play, he would yell and scream.  Hilarious. 

So I watched with him through the Parcells era...then I loosely followed the Pats through the Carrol era...not really impressed.  I didn't watch much in 2000, but for whatever reason, I started watching the 2001 team a lot early on.  The rest is history.

Good memories...glad you brought up the question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Great story. It's interesting to hear how people become fans. I really don't care how people become fans - so long as they stick with their team through thick and thin, they're good to go.

I was a huge KG fan at Minnesota, so when he went to Boston, naturally I watched him there. I fell in love with the Celtics while watching KG, and purely coincidentally, I'm now a fan of two Boston teams. Haha. Don't have time for hockey or baseball. Neither sport had major appeal to me, and I can only take so much stress. Patriots and Celtics to the core.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Born and rised in the Boston area toparents who were born and raised in the Boston area..........IT IS IN THE BLOOD!!!KMc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I live  in Eastern Washington, not a lot of Pats fans in this part of the country.  I immediately became a Patriots fan in April of 1993 when they drafted Bledsoe.  Prior to that I really didn't have a lot of interest in pro football (granted I was only 11 years old at the time...) but I have always been a huge Washington State fan, attending games in Pullman as far back as I can remember.  Bledsoe was my favorite Coug back in those days, and his home town of Walla Walla is only a little over an hour from mine.  I started following the Patriots with interest once he was on board, and have developed into a huge Pats fan over the years.  It's been a helluva ride, and I'm pumped about the possibility of adding a 4th ring this Sunday! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

Born into it.  Went to two games a season in the Umass Amherst years at Sullivan statium.  The Jets and Dolphins games where always a blast.  Nothing like giving the foolish jets and Dolphins fans a real hard time.  Nice frigid aluminum seats always forgetting to bring a butt coozy.  Now west coast boy for 22 years, go niners. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

My uncle is a lifelong fan, he introduced me to the Pats in the last year of the Carroll regime, been hooked ever since!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

forced into it. my roommate in roslindale back in the 90s was a big fan of coates and martin. with nothing else to do on sundays, i ended up watching a lot of games with the guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Grew up in the Berkshires, Western MA.. I came up in the Grogan days. Andre Tippet was my favorite player. Now I live in South Florida and have been to every game in Miami for the last 11 years(missed 1) Nothing better then talking football in a bar with some knowledgeable Dolphin fans. You should see the envy in their eyes. We are truly lucky to be Patriot fans!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddyd08. Show Eddyd08's posts

You see my story is an odd one. I been living between NYC and MA since i was 16 years old. Summers in MA and Fall,winters and spring in NYC. I started to following the Pats in 99 when i Finally manage to spend an entire fall in Lynn. Since then i been hooked ,my first Pats Jersey was a Troy Brown one. Still have it :D. Now as an adult i still follow and wear my love for MA(Sox,Pats,Celtics,Bruins and Revs). Some folks around my neighborhood even call me Mr Boston. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

I moved to Maine from upstate NY in 1970 and after pop warner in '69, I looked for the closest team to root for. I was disapointed with the 2-12 seasons but I remember in '72 looking at the standings and saw that SF 49er's were as bad as we were. Then our first good shot at the playoffs were snubbed by a phantom roughing the passer call on sugar bear Hamilton against the Raiders in '75. We sucked for ten more years until Raymond Berry took us to the Superbowl as a wildcard team in '85. Ten more years of pitiful football. Robert Kraft bought the team in '93 and things have been really great ever since. I am a loyal fan! Go Pats! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Saw them play at Harvard stadium with my dad. Sold souviners at the old Schafer Stadium. Minnie Mack Herren anyone. Jim Plunket remains one of the most underated quarterbacks to play the game IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I was just under 10 yrs/old for the '86 NE SB Team, Dad's relatives from Rhode Island, and Mom's roots in Connecticut=Didn't matter, BOTH were and have always remained through and through (each and every SINGLE member, without fail)-Boston/NE Sports Fans.  It's not just that No other option was allowed (it wasn't)...it's because your obligation as both any and ALL members of my extended family & my regional home, warrants that I remain loyal, independant, rebellious, liberal & open, quiet and determined, and to do this within a psychotically quiet but ever-burning & fanatically determined fire...until I die.  Just as there's no gloating, there is also no quarter ever asked, pleaded for, or is given or granted.  Abandoning them for an instant is akin to desertion.  
        Loyal, quiet, steadfast, is combined with never willing to yield an inch brand of fanaticism.  Robert Frost once famously quipped that "Most people live lives of quiet desperation."  As a NE'er I once thought that phrase as overall, A pretty accurate and thus, A very sad reckoning...  Until I went to other US regions, from whence I saw greater numbers of the natives live lives of "Loud Desperation," and/or "Quiet Complacency," and/or "Loud Contentment," and/or "Uninspiring Moderation and Conservatism."  It wasn't for me...so I realized that I guess there's worse designs than to trudge on under A "Seething & Burning Humility" as an accurate & well-fitting stereoype to wear as the design of my life's favored garb...          

-Mom cried in 1986, Remember a meaningless NE in the late 1 win and 15 loss time of the 1980's when Dad's father-in-law (mom's dad, my grandpa)-called my father ecstatic & in total glee after a mid-late season last second game-winning (but in postseason reality, pointless) hail mary catch with ZERO seconds left- the two men & I, bonding under the pyrhic victory, Never personally felt like I trully gave a cr#p when at times going to see any other sporting team in person win or lose, than a NE Pats contest (3 or 4 red sox games, 2 Celts Games, 2 Hartford whale games...combined, they never mattered as much as even a single losing 1, of the 4 Pats Games I saw- all in Sullivan Stadium)-

Where I'm from growing up, Your job is to shovel snow the minute it's needed, to get the job done fast & thorough & to go back the next day because it snowed again that night- and do the same, and when someone says something selfish or rude or if they're lazy and wanna take credit but not do the same amount of work, You have ZERO other choice but to hit 'im with the shovel (as long as it takes until they hit the ground), then you go to jail, make bail, and on your way home, To stop at the bottom of the driveway so you can finish up shoveling...        

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Started following them in early teens, 1966. My dad was watching a game and I just became a fan ever since. I liked the old helmets and unis better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Let's see if this actually shows up now...hmm:

I was just under 10 yrs/old for the '86 NE SB Team, Dad's relatives from Rhode Island, and Mom's roots in Connecticut=Didn't matter, BOTH were and have always remained through and through (each and every SINGLE member, without fail)-Boston/NE Sports Fans.  It's not just that No other option was allowed (it wasn't)...it's because your obligation as both any and ALL members of my extended family & my regional home, warrants that I remain loyal, independant, rebellious, liberal & open, quiet and determined, and to do this within a psychotically quiet but ever-burning & fanatically determined fire...until I die.  Just as there's no gloating, there is also no quarter ever asked, pleaded for, or is given or granted.  Abandoning them for an instant is akin to desertion.  
        Loyal, quiet, steadfast, is combined with never willing to yield an inch brand of fanaticism.  Robert Frost once famously quipped that "Most people live lives of quiet desperation."  As a NE'er I once thought that phrase as overall, A pretty accurate and thus, A very sad reckoning...  Until I went to other US regions, from whence I saw greater numbers of the natives live lives of "Loud Desperation," and/or "Quiet Complacency," and/or "Loud Contentment," and/or "Uninspiring Moderation and Conservatism."  It wasn't for me...so I realized that I guess there's worse designs than to trudge on under A "Seething & Burning Humility" as an accurate & well-fitting stereoype to wear as the design of my life's favored garb...          

-Mom cried in 1986, Remember a meaningless NE in the late 1 win and 15 loss time of the 1980's when Dad's father-in-law (mom's dad, my grandpa)-called my father ecstatic & in total glee after a mid-late season last second game-winning (but in postseason reality, pointless) hail mary catch with ZERO seconds left- the two men & I, bonding under the pyrhic victory, Never personally felt like I trully gave a cr#p when at times going to see any other sporting team in person win or lose, than a NE Pats contest (3 or 4 red sox games, 2 Celts Games, 2 Hartford whale games...combined, they never mattered as much as even a single losing 1, of the 4 Pats Games I saw- all in Sullivan Stadium)-

Where I'm from growing up, Your job is to shovel snow the minute it's needed, to get the job done fast & thorough & to go back the next day because it snowed again that night- and do the same, and when someone says something selfish or rude or if they're lazy and wanna take credit but not do the same amount of work, You have ZERO other choice but to hit 'im with the shovel (as long as it takes until they hit the ground), then you go to jail, make bail, and on your way home, To stop at the bottom of the driveway so you can finish up shoveling...        

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

I started really watching in the early Steve Grogan days when I was about 13 or 14. I am almost 52 now so I have been there for awhile. We had some good years in the mid 70s then slumped abit then we came back in the mid 80s and made it to the super bowl against the bears. Well, that didn't go to well...lol Some more lean years and we got Parcells and Drew and the winnining began again. Needless to say the run we have had this last 10 years or so has beem absolutely amazing. I hope we can get that 4th title on Sunday. GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

My Dad was/is a huge Pats fan. Watched some games in 1973 remember the game against the Bills and Jets a little bit that year. First game that really hooked me was the 1974 opening day win over the World Champion Dolphins. We got off to a great start that year with little Mack Herron, then fell apart the 2nd half of the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Born into it. My dad had season tickets in the mid 80's-mid 90's and he use to take me to all the games and to the bar where the players went after the game to meet them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    [QUOTE]I moved to Maine from upstate NY in 1970 and after pop warner in '69, I looked for the closest team to root for. I was disapointed with the 2-12 seasons but I remember in '72 looking at the standings and saw that SF 49er's were as bad as we were. Then our first good shot at the playoffs were snubbed by a phantom roughing the passer call on sugar bear Hamilton against the Raiders in '75. We sucked for ten more years until Raymond Berry took us to the Superbowl as a wildcard team in '85. Ten more years of pitiful football. Robert Kraft bought the team in '93 and things have been really great ever since. I am a loyal fan! Go Pats! 
    Posted by xBruzer77[/QUOTE]

I don't remember us sucking too much between 76-85, too me it was more heartache. We'd almost always got eliminated from the playoffs the last week of the season. If we had 6 playoff teams back then like today we would have made the playoffs 7 out of 10 years back then. The real darks times were 89-93.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I was born into it growing up in Connecticut.  My dad is a Boston sports fan and my mom is a NY sports fan.  So she pulled for the Giants and will be again this Sunday.  However, my dad would never allow me to become a NY fan so I followed all the Boston teams like him.  My first memory of watching a Pats game was back in 1990 as a 10 year old and I've been an avid supporter of the team ever since.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I became a Pats fan through my parents. I am the youngest of 4 boys and they had season tickets from the time I was born. I live in Saratoga NY , and they always said Buffalo is to far  @ 6.5 hours and Giants and Jets are in Jersey . We get to Foxboro in 2.5 hours. My first game I went to was when Plunkett quraterbacked and the Pats ran the option , he would get up and either run to the wrong huddle or his facemask would be over his ear, with his nose sticking out the ear hole.It was love at first sight !!! 42 years later we still have the tickets and I have enjoyed all my Gamedays  on Route 1 , win or lose!!!!!!!!!! I will follow them and go to the games till I die!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Southern by employment, Pat's fan by the Grace of God (Birth)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I grew up in upstate NY and was a Giants fan like my dad. When I moved to Boston in 85, I started watching the Pats and rooting for them since they were my new hometown team, although the Gmen were still #1 for me. When the Pats ran the table on the road as a wild card in the playoffs to get to the SB against the Bears, I started really following them in earnest - I thought that team was so gritty and tough minded. That did it for me, I became a big fan, despite the drought that followed, and was rewarded when Parcells came over and then BB, who I always thought had been so great with the Giants.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepatsbrady. Show nepatsbrady's posts

I grew up in Montreal and started to watch the Pats in 1980.  A true Pats fan is one who suffered through the 1-15 and 2-14 seasons and now enjoys the success of the last ten years.   Sunday can't get here soon enough....
    GO PATS GO.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gilzippy. Show gilzippy's posts

Are women allowed to join in here?  I was always a postseason football watcher but didn't know a thing about football.  I would gladly watch any team in the playoffs because I liked the ramped up competition.  I rooted for New England teams out of geographical loyalty (I'm from RI).  I grew up with four brothers, so was always watching sports growing up in the '70's and '80's (Frazier/Ali fights, the 1980 U.S. hockey gold medal, basketball, lots of college football, some hockey, but not much baseball).  I didn't understand any of it!  I didn't even know what a first down was!  But in 2000 I started watching the Pats with my husband and picked his brain to no end.  He was very patient with me.  I started reading football books and educated myself on the rules.  I was a "pink hat" for the first few years because I was enamored with Brady, and before him, Bledsoe was eye candy.  I read the Bill Belichick book "The Education of a Coach", "Patriot Reign", "Moving the Chains", and many others.  Now, I'm reading "War Room". My next book will be about Vince Lombardi. 

Now, I'm completely Patriot obsessed.  (Over the years, I have become Red Sox obsessed also.)  I take my little girl to Patriots training camp every year (we have a few autographs on her little Patriots cap), and I got to see a Pats game at Foxboro for my 50th birthday.  My 8 y.o. girl already knows more about football than most boy her age, and she has a Wes Welker jersey. I'm fortunate because I have a lot of friends' husbands who are mad Pats fans, so I get a lot of info from them.

I'm obsessed with Wes Welker and now Rob Gronkowski, Vince Wilfork, and, of course, Tom Brady.  I look forward to this Superbowl.  I believe the Patriots will win.  I remember how horrible I felt when they lost that last SB meeting with the Giants, and I can't imagine how motivated Brady must be after having his undefeated season ripped away from him by an inferior team.  With two evenly matched teams playing this game, my money is on the team that has more to play for.  I don't see it so much as revenge but how the Patriots' legacy is perceived.  The Patriots will prevail.  Even though Eli Manning is clutch and fearless, his team can't get Tyree-esque luck in this Superbowl too.

Go Pats!!!

Sections
Shortcuts