How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

Grew up in Norwood, just a few miles from the stadium.I was not a very big sports fan growing up. But in the mid to late 70's the Norwood High marching band used to play halftime shows at Sullivan Stadium often. My older brother played the National Anthem a couple of times too. And there was a section of seats reserved for the band too, as the "official pep band" of the Pats. Because of this, I got to go to a lot of games for free, as my parents often acted as chaperones for the band. But it wasn't until 1979 that I became a really big fan, instead of just a casual watcher of the games. That was the year Larry Bird captured my imagination as to how amazing and compelling sports could be. Because of him I went from just an occasional watcher of sports to a sports junky. Had to go through some realy awful times as a Pats fan, but it's all been worth it to see how they'vebecome a model franchise instead of the laughingstock they omce were.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

When they drafted Jim Plunkett - and, a few laters, when Mack Herron tore up the league for a season....  my late Father used to go wild when he touched the ball.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

1976--best O line 1-2 punch in football (John Hannah and Leon Gray), great running backs (Sam Cunningham, Andy Johnson, Don Calhoun, Jesse Phillips), young tough guy QB who could make plays with his feet (Grogan), all world tight end (Russ Francis), great WR (Daryl Stingley), two best corners in football (Mike Haynes and Raymond Clayborn)... They were the best team in football that year, and got by far the worst officiating screw job I have seen on the road against the Raiders in the playoffs.

A lot of lean years after that; makes watching the Brady Bellichick era that much sweeter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from james32. Show james32's posts

When I was younger, I watched pro wrestling and found out Russ Francis wrestled. That made me a fan of his and of the Patriots. Twenty-three years later still a Patriot fan, even stayed through the eighties. Wished they would have keep Curtis Martin, one of my all-time favorites.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

LeT me see... IT'S IN MY BLOOD!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I love the Pats for the same reason I hate Notre Dame . . .

because my father did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : Didn't fans of other teams tell you that Boston teams never get jobbed during sporting events? lol Check out this doozy of stache from Tim Fox:
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Thanks.  Forgot to mention Tim Fox.  I'm pretty sure Steve Nelson was on that team too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    Born and rised in the Boston area toparents who were born and raised in the Boston area..........IT IS IN THE BLOOD!!!KMc.
    Posted by NESportnut

+1.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    Just curious as to how you guys became Patriots fans.  I remember watching the Snow Bowl with my father, back in the 01/02 season. He was watching because Brady and Woodson were playing, both University of Michigan grads, where my father attended college for undergrad. Watching Brady lead his team, and his calm, cool demeanor, caused me to fall in love with him, and then the Patriots. I live in central Virginia, and have no ties to the New England area, and I'm one of the biggest Pats fans you'll ever find. I've gone through the ups and downs, and have ripped paper up after the 2005 Denver loss. I spent many hours awake, recounting what could have happened after the 2006 Colts loss. I was on the brink of tears, and not capable of living normally for a few days following the loss to the Giants.  But it's so rewarding to be a fan of a team, and this is why. The failures, and all the suffering you do as a fan makes the success taste even better. GO PATS! Feel free to share you own stories! GO PATS!
    Posted by vertigho

My father took me to see the Boston Patriots at Fenway and I've been a fan ever since. I think I was 8 years old.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Four09. Show Four09's posts

A pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve in 1974

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

Moved to Boston as a teenager back in '86 and started watching the Pats then......yes I suffered through the crappy years :( and rode the highs of the good years! I can say that I never rooted for a non-Boston team :)

Also huge Celtics and Sox fan...First Celtics game I watched was Bird etc and first Sox game was Clements...Also used to go to Bruins games

Boston fan through and through! Love the city, love the teams, love the people and I hate NY...what more can I say??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Credit Bobby Orr. Grew up when the Bruins were kings of the city and being a fan was easy for a boy of six. The love of all the hometown teams was an easy step from there. No, they weren't all winners, but to some extent, that was part of the charm. Dad's season tickets down at Schaeffer Stadium just made it that much more special, I still think the Pats regular season win over the Raiders in 1976 was one of the greatest spectator sport moments of my life.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

1986, junior year at MIT. Having arrived from Spain as a freshman, I knew nothing about the sport. I started watching on Sundays as the season progressed, absolutely fell for the game and the team. and learned about the star-crossed history of the franchise. Loved the AFC Championship in Miami and will always remember that we were the only team to score on the Bears that postseason, even being ahead for such a brief moment (I still think Bears 86 is best team ever, if 2007 had ended differently). Stuck through the crappy years (and there were a few), bought season tickets as soon as I could afford them (a few years had to pass), loved Bledsoe and Parcells, still slighty annoyed that we had to win a meaningless last game of the season vs Miami and lost the chance to draft Marshall Faulk, and very sad about the crazy departure of Parcells to the Jets. Absolutely loved the payback "I resign as HC of the NYJ" and live and breathe this team. Today I very much hope more than anything for Belichick and Brady, what it would mean to their legacy. Still haven't gotten over XLII (although Spain's World Cup win made up for everything I ever wanted in sports), but realize how lucky we are as fans to have the Krafts and this team. And thinking about MHK today.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

Thanks. I love being a fan of this team.

Go Pats!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Grew up with 6 brothers and sports were always on. So I had a choice either learn about them or complain and not be part of the family. I have been a fan since I understood the game. My father had season tickets to the Pats and we'd go and he would sit in the heated Winnabago and we'd be out in the cold. We didn't win like we do today but it was always fun. I grew up watching and going to all the different sports, The Celtics were amazing then with Bird, The Bruins were fun with O'Reilly ( I remember Orr but was young) the Red Sox's were heartbreaking, between the popup and the ball between the legs well you all know! I have been a fan of my Boston teams wherever I have lived and will continue to be. My son is 9 and he is following my teams and we live in NYC! He has great taste!!!

Sections
Shortcuts