How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

I was born here in Massachusetts. The Pats are the only team I've ever followed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : I don't remember us sucking too much between 76-85, too me it was more heartache. We'd almost always got eliminated from the playoffs the last week of the season. If we had 6 playoff teams back then like today we would have made the playoffs 7 out of 10 years back then. The real darks times were 89-93.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]
    75 and later were my partying days of High School and beyond. I probably did not pay as close attention during those years, although they never made the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : Sorry to hear that. hehe
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

LOL! Yeah, It's particularly rough this week and last! I can't escape!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

I was born and raised in MA, and became a big fan of the Pats right after they drafted Jim Plunkett in 1971.  I remember "Plunkett to Vataha".  (Man, that was a long time ago)

I also remember RB Jim Nance and on defense Julius Adams, Houston Antwine and Reggie Rucker.  I had Season Tickets during the 70's and remember how surprised I was when I called to see if I could buy season tickets and they said I was next on the list.  LOL

Anyhow, I can't remember any game that I might have missed since 1971 because after I left MA, I have either listened on Satelite Radio, watched on Direct TV, or was able to watch on local TV. 

I follow the other Boston Teams as well but my favorites are ranked with The Patriots #1, The Red Sox #2, The Celtics #3 and The Bruins #4.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Born and raised 10 miles from Foxborough......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Moved to Massachusetts from Michigan in 1975 (I was 10). Always cheer for my home team.....I thank God every day that I no longer have to cheer for Detroit teams!! The Pats sure are easier to love now than they were in the 80s & 90s!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

I am from Pakistan. I came to USA when I was 18 and went to Boston College. I fell in love with American football 22 years ago. At first, I was not very impressed with the game – couldn’t understand the whole run and stop and throw and stop.

I used to have a roommate he was from Burlington VT. I started watching the game with him. The guy knew everything about American football, and I mean everything. He used to get very excited and animated watching the game; he would leap from the chair to bed and back like a tiger. I have never seen anyone in more pain or joy watching a sports event. He taught me everything I know about American football – he was a great teacher. Watching the game with him, I fell in love with American football and the Patriots (Patriots were not very good at the time, but they were our team).

We were in last year of grad school together we watched Patriots lose to Bears in the SB. It was heart breaking.

He became a lawyer and moved back to Burlington. I live in New York now and work for an Investment bank. We stay in touch and love Patriots more than ever.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

In the late 50,s as a little boy my dad instructed me to be a Giants fan. YA, Gifford,Huff,Robistelli were Bostons only football heroes. Then came the fall of 1960 and a new team in town.. The Boston Patriots. It took some convincing for my dad but not for me. It's been heaven and hell for 50 plus years. But no question the last ten years have been amazing to a Boston boy whose support has been undying no matter where I live. 7 championships and hopefully counting on another by 10 o'clock Sunday night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

Funny story for you on this subject... I am 33 now.  I started watching the Pats in the 80s with my parents.  The first game I can remember watching on TV was the Superbowl in '85/'86 when they were smoked by the Bears.  I got to go to my first game ever around that same time.  I had to of been around 8 or 9 years old at that point... got all bundled up in winter clothes and toughed it out until the end. 

Here is where the story gets funny though.  After the game my parents took my to a mexican restaurant near the stadium...  as we were waiting in the entry, there were 4 or 5 Patriot players who walked in to eat.  The ones I knew were Andre Tippet and Moses Tutupu.  Well, I guess I was not feeling 100% because while we were waiting to be seated, I ran to the bathroom to get sick to my stomach but I didn't make it.  I ran around a corner towards the bathroom and threw up all over Andre Tippet's legs and feet. 

Talk about a memory....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

According to Google earth, I grew up in walpole 0.64 miles from the entrance to the old stadium.

My Aunt worked for them under Billy Sullivan until he sold the team and she retired.

Went to the grand opening carnival in 1971 at the age of 6 and a couple of games that year.

After I was 10, went to every home game when they opened the gates after half time (the closer the game, the later they opened the gates)

Almost got crushed by the goal posts after a feild goal kick against the Bills put us in the playoffs and the fans swarmed the field.

Sold hot dogs and cokes at the games for 2 years

worked down the street at a steakhouse that players came into all the time

WATCHED THE PATRIOTS DISMANTLE THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS IN HUMILIATING FASHION IN REVENGE FOR THE WORST SPORTING DEFEAT WE ENDURED 4 YEARS AGO SINCE THE NEW YORK BASEBALL METS OF OCTOBER, 1986.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Drew Bledsoe 93

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In 1968 when the old Boston Patriots had Mike Taliaferro(sp)? and Jim Nance. Could never forget Houston Antwine. My first game I went to Harvard Stadium when They opened the season against Don Shula and the Miami dolphins and won the game 27-14 and went on to a 2-12 season. Still remember Nick Buoniconti playing LB for the Boston Patriots.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

When I was a kid there was no professional football in Boston. The NY Giants were the team that was carried on local TV, so I became a Giants fan. The Pats came along in 1960 and the AFL was looked at like an inferior product. The Pats were playing in Harvard Stadium and did not seem to be top notch, but the league was kind of exciting and there was more passing and a more open game, so I mildly followed it.

In the summer of 1962, I went to a "sports night" at St. Mary's High School in Lynn and there were several local players from various teams including Walt Dropo (who was very nice to me and I met him several times later; he was always a mench) and Bob Dee who seemed like a stand up guy. He said that the AFL was a work in progress and that we should go to a couple of games and see the product. The next season (1963) the Boston Patriots moved to Fenway park and I went to see them play the NY Titans. It was a great game and I had a lot of fun. The local networks were carrying the games by then, so I watched the team more intently. Over the years the Pats resembled the Red Sox in futility for a long time. 1985 was especially painful due to the beatdown the Bears gave the Pats in the SB. All that changed in 2001 (2002 Super Bowl). Now, the Pats are the best organization in the NFL and I am hooked. I am rooting for them the beat the Giants (my old favorite team) and lay claim to being the best team ever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

I kind of remember my dad taking me to games when they were the Boston Patriots, and I remember going to the first game at schaefer stadium.So, I have been a fan most of my 55 years .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Born and raised in New Hampshire and once our area got their own pro football team, supported them ever since!  Up until then, all we would see on TV in NE were the Giants!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

Patriot sperm

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Always hated the Bills and Jets and AFC East games were the only games that were covered in my neck of the woods. Became a big fan during the Grogan/Hannah era. Felt like the only person in my class that was routing against the '85 Bears even though I suspected they might win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    [QUOTE]Just curious as to how you guys became Patriots fans.  I remember watching the Snow Bowl with my father, back in the 01/02 season. ...I've gone through the ups and downs...  But it's so rewarding to be a fan of a team, and this is why. The failures, and all the suffering you do as a fan makes the success taste even better. GO PATS! Feel free to share you own stories! GO PATS!
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

Glad to have you Vert, and everyone else.  But with all due respect, if you've been a fan since '01, you really haven't had to deal with many "downs." Yes, playoff losses are tough to take, but sheer and utter irrelevance to the point where they're about to move the team and nobody really seems to care, that's a down.  Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Bob Kraft shook the mayor's hand in Hartford. I can tell you, I wouldn't be fan of the Patriots if they played in Connecticut. Might as well be in Hoboken. Victor Kiam, Sam Jankovich, Chuck Sullivan and the Victory Tour, those were downs.

Anyway, I go back to Clive Rush, Joe Kapp, Mike Taliaffero it all sort of blends together so I couldn't tell you the exact year. Pre-Schaefer for sure, probably '68 or '69. I remember Duane Thomas refusing to play for them after they traded for him. I recall them drafting Plunkett and thinking they were relevant all of a sudden. I was young, what can I say?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Squish the Fish era playing football before elementary school everyday.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : Not to start a fight here, but he's also been one to attack and lecture me here on this board. Hmm.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Well, whether you've been a fan since the '60s or 2010, you're a fan, so it's all good. But sometimes it helps to have some perspective. Folks are all uptight about what ESPN says about the team for example. At least they're relevant enough to be talked about. Hasn't always been the case. We used to be Cleveland East.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : Well, whether you've been a fan since the '60s or 2010, you're a fan, so it's all good. But sometimes it helps to have some perspective. Folks are all uptight about what ESPN says about the team for example. At least they're relevant enough to be talked about. Hasn't always been the case. We used to be Cleveland East.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Remember Hannah Storm and the Patriot missiles?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gilzippy. Show gilzippy's posts

Its not like I wasn't alive when the Pats were bad.  I remember those years too.I might have only been a true fan since 2000, but I remember that '85 Bears SB slaughter of the Pats vividly.  It was terrible.  We all come by our fandom in different ways.  Some fans are more rabid than others.  Some fans have been more loyal than others.  Some fans have been fans longer than others.  We unite here as fans rooting for our Patriots in their most important game of the year.  I feel for those of you who suffered through decades of poor Pats teams.  I have lots of friends who are lifelong season ticket holders.  As a fan, you have to start somewhere...   

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts