How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?

became a fan of football playing popwarner and tecmobowl!  i was born in 85 so i dont remember that beatdown, but i started watching every game (only missed 1 since!) in 94-95 season.  remember having a love/hate relationship with bledsoe, and having serious doubts about TFB all season untill that final drive in superbowl 36.  hell, i even agreed with madden that they should have taken a knee and gone to overtime LOL!

the first game i remember going to was mannings first game in foxboro.  pats were down big at the half (like 24-3) and my uncle wanted go home, but i was a kid and i wanted to stay so they suffered through the rest of the game for me... which they ended up coming back and winning!  also went to the final regular season game at foxboro stadium against miami (me and my dad are on the dvds made that year!).

since then i have moved all over from seattle to misssissippi to colorado and now in philly, but i always rock my pats gear with pride!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    In Response to Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : lol This reads more like an introduction from someone who just signed up for AA.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

i became a Patriots fan in 1984 after the Jets left NYC. however i stopped watching football in 1991. i only follow football now because of weekly pools. as much as i would like to bet against the Giants fans around me,i'm not too sure the Patriots will win this game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I was 10 years old in 1976 and being born in Iowa, was supposed to be a Chief, Viking, or Bear fan like all of my relatives and friends. I was watching Steve Grogan and Russ Francis play and just decided then this was going to be my team.

Still remember how mad I was watching the hated Raiders beat them in the playoffs later that year. Been an avid fan (draft through full season) since.

I have never gotten to see them play at home and will be going next fall for sure. Want to see Brady play at home before he retires.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

In response to "Re: How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?":
    In Response to How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats? : Glad to have you Vert, and everyone else.  But with all due respect, if you've been a fan since '01, you really haven't had to deal with many "downs." Yes, playoff losses are tough to take, but sheer and utter irrelevance to the point where they're about to move the team and nobody really seems to care, that's a down.  Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Bob Kraft shook the mayor's hand in Hartford. I can tell you, I wouldn't be fan of the Patriots if they played in Connecticut. Might as well be in Hoboken. Victor Kiam, Sam Jankovich, Chuck Sullivan and the Victory Tour, those were downs. Anyway, I go back to Clive Rush, Joe Kapp, Mike Taliaffero it all sort of blends together so I couldn't tell you the exact year. Pre-Schaefer for sure, probably '68 or '69. I remember Duane Thomas refusing to play for them after they traded for him. I recall them drafting Plunkett and thinking they were relevant all of a sudden. I was young, what can I say? Posted by Muzwell
    Yeah, but Plunkett won his first seven games and we were all sky-high with the savior.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Born and bred sports fan. Lived in massachusetts my entire life, and was a sports fan for as long as I can remember. It was the Sox at first, but it was soon followed by the Pats, Celtics, and Bruins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Born and rised in the Boston area toparents who were born and raised in the Boston area..........IT IS IN THE BLOOD!!!KMc.
    Posted by NESportnut

Same here...
    Both Parents from R.I. Majority of both sides (that are left) are still there. Moved to GA. in late 70's couldn't see most games. Would watch with my old man when able.
    Would visit R.I. at least two three times a year - ThanksGiving. Christmas, Summers.  sat through so many losing seasons with Grandparents aunts / uncles. they never gave up loved,this team regardless. LOYAL!
    Moved to Chicago after Loss to Bears. got ragged daily ..  Now I get to return the "love"
    While in Chicago met wife who's family is Mattapoisette(sp)Ma. and Boston..
    We still go back at least once a year. Just got back actually from a funeral. took wife and Kids to Patriots Place.. AWSOME, Met Mascot PAT  took pics with Conference champ trophey.
    My kids are Fans, and now some Chicagoans are coming 'round to appreciating a WINNING TEAM in the PAT's.

FOREVER LOYAL to N.E. will always be home. IT IS DEFINITELY IN THE BLOOD ...... GO PAT's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I moved to RI when I was a little over a year old.  Also my dad spent his summers and his father's sabbatical years on the Cape so that helped too.  Amusingly my first real Pats-related memory is some drunk @sshole peeing on my boots while waiting in line for the bathroom.  Long live Schaefer stadium.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Started following them in early teens, 1966. My dad was watching a game and I just became a fan ever since. I liked the old helmets and unis better.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Patsfansince1966?  EXPOSED.

I kid.  I kid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Grew up in Maine but nobody in my family really watched the Pats. 

I was walking to the store one day with my brother when I was about 12 and a reporter asked us what we thought of the Patriots signing drafting Drew Bledsoe and signing him to a record 16 million dollar contract or something like that.  Somehow my brother thought they said they signed him for 60 years, so his response was  "I think he'll be dead in 60 years".  The reprorter just kind of looked at him like: Ooooookay...ritard and said "that's an interesting perspective".

We played sports and played Tecmo bowl on nintendo and started following the Pats who were big news after Parcell got there and that's kind of how I got into it. 

I haven't lived there for 13 years but when I talk to my brother we pretty much just talk about the Pats or Celtics or Sox, but mostly the Patriots.  Afew years ago we started a fantasy football league where me and my wife and him and his wife usually run and we get some other people.   So it's kind of become my way of connecting to some people back home.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

My mother told me to stop being a Giants fan because the AFL Patriots where closer to Maine and they had just started to show their games on TV.
     My hero's where Jim Nance and Nick Buoniconti

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrewserBrad. Show BrewserBrad's posts

I've never lived even close to Boston. I grew up in Fargo, ND. I became a Pats fan when I was about 11 when the Pats hired Ron Erhardt as head coach. Ron was the coach of the NDSU Bison. I also found out after following Erhardt that Steve Nelson was on the Patriots squad. Steve is also from NDSU.
    I've been a fan since 1979 and have lived through the highs and lows.
    I finally got to see the Pats in Boston for the opening game against the Bills 2 years ago. We had so much fun in Boston that we flew back last year to see the Halloween matchup against the Vikes. Truly an amazing experience! The people were awesome and the tailgaiting was great!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to How did you become a fan of our beloved Pats?:
    Just curious as to how you guys became Patriots fans.  I remember watching the Snow Bowl with my father, back in the 01/02 season. He was watching because Brady and Woodson were playing, both University of Michigan grads, where my father attended college for undergrad. Watching Brady lead his team, and his calm, cool demeanor, caused me to fall in love with him, and then the Patriots. I live in central Virginia, and have no ties to the New England area, and I'm one of the biggest Pats fans you'll ever find. I've gone through the ups and downs, and have ripped paper up after the 2005 Denver loss. I spent many hours awake, recounting what could have happened after the 2006 Colts loss. I was on the brink of tears, and not capable of living normally for a few days following the loss to the Giants.  But it's so rewarding to be a fan of a team, and this is why. The failures, and all the suffering you do as a fan makes the success taste even better. GO PATS! Feel free to share you own stories! GO PATS!
    Posted by vertigho

The old AFL was formed in 1960. Iwas a kid growing up outside of Boston. I was a fan from the beginning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

From Springfield, MA. Dad was in the Army so we moved around and in the early 70's I was living in Augusta, Ga when I started playing pee wee ball. I started watching football on TV because my coach told me to watch and my favorite teams then was Miami and Dallas. This went on foor a few years until my Dad told me I had a home team called the Patriots. Well I never even seen them on TV back then (remember they were not good and I lived in the south. Well when pops retired we moved back to Mass and I strated watching and rooting for the Pats and I never looked back. I was in the old stadium in 79 watching Grogan and the Pats beat Fergusen and the Bills in a blizzard. I joined the Army in 81 and watched the 85, 03, 04 Pats SB in Germany and the 97 pats SB in Bosnia, and the 01(the best) at Fort Hood TX!!! Now I bring Patriot pride to Tucson, AZ.

Go Pats!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnaddar1. Show johnaddar1's posts

I have been a fan since the beginning :  1960.  Ron Burton was the first draft choice.  I was born in New Hampshire so it was natural that I would become a fan of the Patriots when they were created in 1960

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston Lyncher. Show Boston Lyncher's posts

I became a fan thanks to Danny White.

I'm from Mexico City. My dad was a huge Cowboys fan. So, I was a Staubach admirer until he retired in 1979, (I was 8). Then, Danny White took over as QB of the Dallas Cowboys and basically his way of playing made me a Steve Grogan fan the exact year the Patriots scored 441 points. That year, Stanley Morgan, Tim Fox, Mike Haynes, Steve Nelson and the rest of the team made me a New England Patriot for life. I'm now 40 years old, by the way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

1. I live in Indiana and HATE the Colts 2. The Patriots regularly beat the Colts 3. Started following the Sox, and just sort of naturally fell in line with the Patriots a couple years later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Growing up in Maine I was a casual fan until I got hooked during the 1976 bicentennial season. I remember OJ rushing for 250 yards against the Pats in 1973. I attended my first game in 1979 with my football team when the Patriots played against the San Diego "Air Coryell" Chargers with Fouts, Joiner and Winslow. We won! I attended a game a year during most of the eighties and early nineties when tickets were affordable and always available. I have only been to one game since, in 2002 against the Chiefs in the new stadium.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

back in 1969, when i started playing football. I also liked the "real Colts" the Baltimore Colts because of Johnny U.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Roxbury, MA native. Far as I can remember, I've always been a Pats fan. I do remember my older brother having a old, bent, rusty New England Patriots trash can, so that's what probably started my love for the team. None of my older siblings are actual fans though...well they weren't then, but now they are.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Discovered the Pats in the late 60's while living in RI as a kid.  Been a fan ever since.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

As a teen in the mid 1980's I tried to follow the Packers, since we lived in Wisconsin. They went 8-8 for three years in a row (or something close to that) and I lost interest- were they a good team or a bad team?

I liked a bunch of the players on the Pats defense, so I switched allegiances around 1984.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Grew up a mile from Fenway Park--- went to St Marys Catholic school--nuns used to take us to Sox games in the 60s for field trips!  Used to fight my brothers for the TV on Sundays,(they wanted cartoons), to watch the Pats growing up--been watching them since 1968---Go Pats!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aflsilverfox. Show aflsilverfox's posts

1960 enough said.  But here is a little story, 1st super bowl year. I was living in Miami , and you need to know the history of the Pats in Miami at that time. I went to Tropicial park where they practiced for the game but you couldn"t get in. I believe it was the 1st time anyone used loud music at practice.  Everyone in Miami said that no way would the Pats beat the dolphins in the last game to be played in the Orange bowl. After the game outside of the Orange bowl I paid some guy $20  for the t-shirt right off his back. I went home and washed it, now remember this was a night game, and wore it to work the next day. All you old timers will remember the famous Squish the Fish shirts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

My first game at the old Foxboro stadium was when the Pats came back from 20 points against the Vikings in 1994. I'll never forget it.

Sections
Shortcuts