How do I get over this...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

Re: How do I get over this...?

Losing to Giants 3 times in a row sucks...yes. Pats lucky to get in. Offense OK, but Brady not clutch anymore. O-line failed. Manning, over5K passings yards held to one TD, was held in check. Life goes on. Love your family take your licks tomorrow. Just a game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It was a bummer. It was disappointing.
    But in the end, it was a sporting event.
    You wake up tomorrow morning and get on with life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

All of this wisdom - it's great. Trust me, I've been telling it to myself.

But how you actually implement it is the difficult part.

I want to move on, I want to wake up tomorrow and get on with life, but I don't know how. This is killing me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Look guys, this team is not very good.  Rather than being depressed, we should be thrilled that we made it as far as we did.  That's kind of how I feel.  Mid season, looking at our terrible pass defense, our weak running game, and our lack of offensive threats other than Brady, the two TEs, and Welker, I was thinking this was an 8-8 team.  We went to the Super Bowl.  That's a tribute to the coaching staff and to heart the players showed all year. 

A lot of us fans maybe got our hopes too high.  Honestly--talentwise--this team is only average.  All the wins are the result of great coaching and great effort.  But until our defense gets a lot better--and until we get more threats on offense--we're not a true championship team.  

We're reading a lot of nonsense about Brady being a choker on this site--but really, if you understand football, you know that Brady and Belichick did a heck of a lot with very little this season to get to this team to the point that it was just one good drive away from being Super Bowl champions.  We should be happy about that.  The loss is hard, but really, if you step back and look at the whole picture, this was yet another remarkable season where a great coach and a great quarterback took a mediocre team way further than anyone with any real knowledge of football could have imagined. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: How do I get over this...?:
    In Response to Re: How do I get over this...? : I agree 110%. Life goes on tomorrow, Don't dwell on the past, You lost nothing today but bragging rights. After 07 loss I hurt bad until I relized its only a game for your entertainment. 
    Posted by DonHa

That's the point, DonHa... and the next time I go to the golf course, I know I'll get s**t thrown at me since I have a Patriots golf bag! (I live in MD)  I'll still wear my hoodie and Pats ball cap when I go out.  I'm not going into hibernation and can get over this since it is out of my control.   Bummed but not out!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In Response to Re: How do I get over this...? : This is much easier to take than 2007. 
    Posted by murghkhor

I whole heartedly agree.  This doesn't leave the pit in my stomach that I had after SB42.  I'm pretty damn proud of our Pats team.  Things didn't work out anywhere close as they were constructed coming out of training camp.  They've been putting it together with spit and bubblegum, smoke and mirrors, etc....all year long.   

The Giants are a team that are constructed to take us apart...they just are...a bad matchup.

I'm not as depressed...i'm sad and disappointed.  You don't win them all...or any if you're facing the Giants.  But yeah, life does go on...they'll be back at it next year in training camp.  Can't wait.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I just think it might be best for me to drop following sports alltogether.

I mean, look, as I said, if/when we were to win another championship, it wouldn't rewarding, but I would reduce a lot of stress and demoralization.

You guys say you're looking forward to training camp, while I just picture it as the start of a long, stressful journey, which has a greater chance of yielding disappointment than joy.

God... I just don't feel like being alive right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Look guys, this team is not very good.  Rather than being depressed, we should be thrilled that we made it as far as we did.  That's kind of how I feel.  Mid season, looking at our terrible pass defense, our weak running game, and our lack of offensive threats other than Brady, the two TEs, and Welker, I was thinking this was an 8-8 team.  We went to the Super Bowl.  That's a tribute to the coaching staff and to heart the players showed all year.  A lot of us fans maybe got our hopes too high.  Honestly--talentwise--this team is only average.  All the wins are the result of great coaching and great effort.  But until our defense gets a lot better--and until we get more threats on offense--we're not a true championship team.   We're reading a lot of nonsense about Brady being a choker on this site--but really, if you understand football, you know that Brady and Belichick did a heck of a lot with very little this season to get to this team to the point that it was just one good drive away from being Super Bowl champions.  We should be happy about that.  The loss is hard, but really, if you step back and look at the whole picture, this was yet another remarkable season where a great coach and a great quarterback took a mediocre team way further than anyone with any real knowledge of football could have imagined. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

You are right of course but with 4 minutes left you felt the Pats had this game. They were driving and killing the clock (always seems to come back to bite you). In 2008 the Pats were losing and they had a huge clutch drive to take the lead. This team had the Giants where they wanted them and they blew it. Much worse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Man, I take it hard, my kids take it hard.  Don't want to watch, read or play football for a while.  All the emotion we as fans put into the season and our team and it doesn't pay off.

But in the big scheme of my life it doesn't really matter.. not like it does to the players, coaches, owners of the team.  My life goes on the same regardless if the Patriots win or lose.  Just takes a bit of joy away from it until I realize I have so much more joy and more important things in my life then my team winning the Super Bowl. 

I'm already watching NFL network right now, excited for next season and what the team has to build on.  I'm already taking this better then the 07 loss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

It also hurts so much because I was envisioning myself celebrating the win.

Falling onto the rug, crying tears of joy, and watching Brady hoist the Lombardi. Coming onto these forums and screaming for joy, and not sleeping all night, while riding a wave of euphoria for a week.

Just how happy I'd be right now if we had won makes the loss hurt that much more, and seeing myself in this sorry state, and crying...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I just think it might be best for me to drop following sports alltogether. I mean, look, as I said, if/when we were to win another championship, it wouldn't rewarding, but I would reduce a lot of stress and demoralization. You guys say you're looking forward to training camp, while I just picture it as the start of a long, stressful journey, which has a greater chance of yielding disappointment than joy. God... I just don't feel like being alive right now.
    Posted by vertigho

I quit sports for a while in the 90's and it was a healthier life. I did not watch one Patriots, Celtics or Bruins game in 1999 or 2000. I did watch the Red Sox play the Yankees in the 99 playoffs though. Life was happier but then the Brady Pats sucked me back in during the 2001 season. Being a sports fan is miserable at times. i do not live in New England and the trash talking phone calls have allready started from my friends. I will not sleep much tonight. The feeling is similar to the Colts loss in 2006 because in both games I felt like they had it won.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I just think it might be best for me to drop following sports alltogether. I mean, look, as I said, if/when we were to win another championship, it wouldn't rewarding, but I would reduce a lot of stress and demoralization. You guys say you're looking forward to training camp, while I just picture it as the start of a long, stressful journey, which has a greater chance of yielding disappointment than joy. God... I just don't feel like being alive right now.
    Posted by vertigho

Take some time off from sports then.  Nothing wrong with that...read a book, catch up on laundry, etc.  Please put it in perspective.  The players that lost maybe their last opportunity  to win a championship will wake up tomorrow.  The sun will come up tomorrow.  That's the way it goes my good friend.  Chin up buddy...we're all here, we're all disappointed together...you're not alone.  Don't ever think you are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Nope.  Vert's right=Worse than 2007.  The layperson won't think so, whether or not he's a "diehard Pats Fan" or not...doesn't factor in.  2007 was a burnout...and NE limped in as 1 dimensional, worn out, on a performance overall downslide as the year wore on, and thus- With a big, bright target on their back. 

This was about hunger, fixing a wrong for them, a lack of respect based on their accomplishments, and under ALL these causes + the underlying "Myra Kraft death" "Bob Kraft's courage and efforts largely on behalf of the working players throughout the lockout."  NE winning this one, was imho-  Sense.

In order to help yourself, the only way to get some kinda quick "grounding" will be to go over those figures and forms of rationale that'cha use (I use), when factoring up the ole "Likeliness-To-Revolt" Equation...  Mm-hm, figured mine out right after turning the game off and goin' grocery shopping the minute NY reached NE's 10 yard line, at the 2 minute mark=
    It went from 1.43 times, TO- 14 and 1/2 X more likely to join some revolutionary cause in the next year.

Here, this'll start things off for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStxvq_Qqow

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

A Patriot putting the hurt on Bernard Pollard the next time we see him would go a long way toward getting me over this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

I love this team and being a fan of the Pats is a cool part of my life. I'm a season ticket holder and that means putting a lot of time and money into it. And I like that. Tonight I'm sad for Mr. Kraft, for the team, and for us the fans. But they were in the Superbowl and I hope they can do it again before Belichick and Brady retire. And yeah, I was hoping to be up most of the night watching the replays on TV, instead I'm going to have a bit of a longer night's sleep and that's OK too.

We could be Jets fans, you know :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Guys, I really appreciate all the support.

I mean, I really it's just a game, but it does hurt.

I don't know what to do about sports. I like things to be cut-and-dry, and black-and-white, but life isn't that way.

I have no hockey team, no baseball team, and I only support the Patriots and Celtics. I was questioning my fandom before the game for various reasons, and now it has come full-circle.

I think taking a hiatus from sports for a number of years would be a healthy thing for me to do, however if there's a championship won by either the Celtics or the Patriots within that time span, I will feel crushed, and will be kicking myself.

By throwing all of your livelihood into a team, you're gambling. Big risk, big reward. You win, and you're happier than ever. You lose, and you're lower than ever. Living a sport-free life yields less spikes in joy, but also less devastation.

Can someone give me an answer to my conundrum? I'm completely lost as to what to do here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Catchers and Pitchers report to ST this month. Get on the Red Sox bandwagon, they're going to be very good this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Catchers and Pitchers report to ST this month. Get on the Red Sox bandwagon, they're going to be very good this year.
    Posted by carnie

I have no reason to support the Sox though. I live in central Virginia, and I support the Patriots because I fell in love with Brady in the snow-bowl, and I support the Celtics because I've been a KG fan all my life, even when he was in Minny. So naturally, when he went to Boston, I supported him. I fell in love with the C's, and have been a fan ever since.

I just can't get onboard with Baseball or hockey, simply because I have no reason to. If you have any ideas to motivate me to follow baseball, shoot - I'm lost and confused.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

baseball I don't think, can be very motivating.  It's a slow game... Try something else... I love the free books on Amazon.  There's some good stuff for free!!! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I'm just so confused.

It'd be so easy, and good for my health, both physically and emotionally, to drop sports altogether right now for an extended period of time.

But hypothetically speaking, if New England gets back to this point next year and wins, I'd be kicking myself for not being fully invested.

Completely confused right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It also hurts so much because I was envisioning myself celebrating the win. Falling onto the rug, crying tears of joy, and watching Brady hoist the Lombardi. Coming onto these forums and screaming for joy, and not sleeping all night, while riding a wave of euphoria for a week. Just how happy I'd be right now if we had won makes the loss hurt that much more, and seeing myself in this sorry state, and crying...
    Posted by vertigho

Most joys of life always have the possibilities of disappointments.  It's life!  All part of being alive.  If you have trouble facing disappointment head on then seriously seek some help.  Without disappointment we truly don't know what true joy feels like.  Comes with the territory.  Surround your life with many things that give you joy and if you have disappointments turn to the other things and figure out how to cope with disappointment.  Get some more hobbies in your life, if this gets you so down that you feel this bad then you need more things in your life that brings joy.

Spend more time on things that really matter.. bettering yourself through exercise, spending more time with family and friends, build relationships, get involved in more hobbies!  Much more to life then cheering on your favorite sports teams. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: How do I get over this...? : Get some more hobbies in your life, if this gets you so down that you feel this bad then you need more things in your life that brings joy. Spend more time on things that really matter.. bettering yourself through exercise, spending more time with family and friends, build relationships, get involved in more hobbies!  Much more to life then cheering on your favorite sports teams
    Posted by TFB12

Pffft- sounds like "l0ser-talk" if ya ask me... 

8^)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Not really in the mood to wake up and go to work tomorrow. Just imagining the stuff I will hear now...

Guess I gotta be the stronger man, but this is tough. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

My heart-rate and anxiety is starting to come down, and I'm now getting the chills, and starting to get a slight appetite. Guess it's good, however I hope I don't catch a cold.

It feels nice to be a little less anxious, but I still feel somewhat depressed. 

Would be smart to go eat, but I don't really want to make eye contact, or interact with anyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Not really in the mood to wake up and go to work tomorrow. Just imagining the stuff I will hear now... Guess I gotta be the stronger man, but this is tough. 
    Posted by vertigho

dude, im the most diehard fan i know (that understands the game at least, not your drunk WOO HOO FIRST DOWN fan).  im feeling it too, but wake up tomorrow, go to work, shake your coworkers hands that may have been rooting for the giants and tell them that their team made the plays when it counted.  if they want to talk, tell that that brady led the team to the superbowl on the 2nd worst defense in NFL history.  

football controlls my ups and downs more than it probably should, but just know that you have the people around you that love you.   im not like TFB12 where i can turn on sportscenter just yet, and i really only watch football so my sports season is over for a while, but i was expecting that after this game win or lose.  

it sucks hard, but im still excited for next year.  theres cap room for signing some defensive playmakers, and we have alot of early picks in the draft for next year and beyond.  any season can be defined by a few plays here to there.  this win will sting untill the pats hoist the trophy next time, but i love my team.

(damnit!  still cant belive we lost! dont mean to be a downer after that post but... DAMN!)

Sections
Shortcuts