How Do Patriots Beat Teams With Great Pass Rush?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: How Do Patriots Beat Teams With Great Pass Rush?

In Response to Re: How Do Patriots Beat Teams With Great Pass Rush?:
    My $.02 is we are too much a scheme/system team with too little reliance on athletes performing outside the scheme/system.  And it might be that our players lack top end athleticism, because our scheme/system demands so much from them mentally, they can't match-up against highly athletic opponents one-on-one. If an opponent can thwart the Pats primary scheme/system - the short to intermediate passing game - we've had no other solid weapon.  So, jam the Pats WRs (take your chances that the zebras will not call too many penalities). Don't worry about getting burned deep - Pats lack deep threat. RBs - nobody who can make an opponent pay a steep price for selling-out with a pass rush.  Strange inability or unwillingness to consistently target TEs - a strength of this team.  Immobile QB. Turn the dogs loose. A fix? Commit to use Vereen or Ridley Price replaces Branch. Bigger, stronger, faster.  Deep threat.  Safety help required to cover him? Keep both Gronk and Hernandez on the field at the same time. Run or pass without changing personnel on any play.  
    Posted by expertmike

I agree to some extent with a lot of this Mike, especially on offense where we've lacked top talent in the skill positions (other than QB and slot receiver) for a while. I think the talent level is better this season (TEs are truly exceptional, RBs show promise, and Price may give us a real deep threat again).  I also think our offensive scheme has lacked variety.  That's in part due to the limited talent which doesn't give us a lot of options other than short passes and draws. Fortunately we are very, very good at the short passing game and have been able to beat a lot of teams with nothing else.  But if a defense can shut that short passing game down, we've been toast. I'm hoping we have a better running game, at least, this year to give us the diversity we've been lacking. 

I think our defense is better both in talent and diversity of scheme, but we've had some key holes in the secondary and front seven that have hurt us.  Again, I see a lot of promise this year in the D, though I still have some concerns about safety and depth at CB and LB. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Run.

Indy has (or possibly had) a great pass rush, but as usual they have cheaped out in terms of defensive tackles.  Mankins is (at least going by his new contract) the best guard in the NFL.  Gronkowski reportedly could play tackle if he wanted.  Vollmer is a really good blocker.  Nate Solder had the NCAA's most pancakes last year at 146?  Matt Light is ok.  Dan Koppen is ok.  Ridley is all set to be a battering ram.  Put Hernandez in and see if Indy compensates.  If Indy leaves their undersized usual team out on the field, stunt one or two offensive linemen over into another hole and power that ball through.  Once BB ran about 15 running plays in a row against Indy's squishy middle until the extra point kick intervened.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think when playing a great pass rush, we need to have the quartet of Welker, Woodhead, Gronk, and Hernendez on the field as much as possible. With Brady and the O-Line that would leave one spot open for a wild card like Ocho or Price to get downfield if the protection holds. If it doesn't the four guys mentioned above have been money in the short passing game.

I also think Vereen could be a big asset running draws.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think when playing a great pass rush, we need to have the quartet of Welker, Woodhead, Gronk, and Hernendez on the field as much as possible. With Brady and the O-Line that would leave one spot open for a wild card like Ocho or Price to get downfield if the protection holds. If it doesn't the four guys mentioned above have been money in the short passing game. I also think Vereen could be a big asset running draws.
    Posted by FishTaco64

During the Ravens game last year, I got fed up with the spread offense.  I remember sitting up in the stands groaning every time I saw Brady in the shotgun. They made some plays from those spread formation, but a lot of times the Ravens just blew that offense up.  

I think part of our problem is we rely too much on Welker and draw plays to Woodhead.  We need to play more smashmouth, I think. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I think it's a no brainer.....when you play a team like the Lions or the Jets who have a serious interior pass rush you have to let the run establish the pass and vise versa when a team is weak in the middle.

The biggest problem I see is OB feeds into, he continues to call passing plays that perpetuates the situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Execute better. Period. Vollmer had the worst day of his career ... he needs to improve. Getting dominated by Avril isn't good enough, because he will have to face a truly elite pass rusher at some point, and not merely a very good one like Avril. Connolly didn't look good, and Solder has been a mixed bag all preseason. Koppen has never been great at anything but communication (crucial for a center) and has always relied on great support from Neal and Mankins. Neal is gone. Something has to improve. 

Coach better as well. Detroit moved Suh all around the line, and it was reminiscent of how Baltimore moved Ngata all over their line in the playoffs a couple seasons ago to exploit matchups. NE needs to be prepared for that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

That's why it's critical for the Pats to jump on teams early, so they can then mix in a full arsenal on offensive plays to keep the defense off balance.  If you're playing from behind all the time & people know you're going to throw, they can tee off & Brady (not being the most mobile qb) is going take some sacks.  The problem is exacerbated when teams have good corners (like the Jets) & can take away the outside receivers.  Then the Pats are forced to throw those quick crossing routes over the middle a lot & they tend to become one dimensional.  So the key, imho, is for the offense to score early & often.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

this was preseason folks.......they are just running simple plays and defenses....making judgements on players on the bubble...this won't be game you see on week 1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Run or pass without changing personnel on any play.  
    Posted by expertmike

A lot of what is being discussed in this thread (and a lot of what we're going to hear from Rusty all season about Bill O'Brien) boils down to this one, simple idea. The Pats spread formation doesn't throw the fear of god into anybody (except Bitchburgh) and more than a few defenses -- most notably the Baltimore Ravens -- crow loudly about knowing what is coming from the Pats almost all the time, depending upon formation and substitution.

If and when the Pats can run interchangeable personnel onto the field and begin to mix up their formations to disguise their offense the way they disguise their defense, they'll give teams fits.

Mr. Myagi knew.

It's all about balance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

RUN
    THE
    DAMN
    BALL!

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts