How do we fix it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

How do we fix it?

This defense unfortunately is still hideous. It starts at the Line. I love Wilfork but aside from that when  are we ever going to get a pass rusher. I for one am willing to eat what ever salary cap money we have to eat by dumping A Thomas. We need at least one guy in the mold of Albert Haynesworth or Osi Umenyiora. I also don't disagree with the Posters that say we Haven't won anything since Weiss and Crennel left. One thing is for certain, this defense has gone down hill since then. Let's use picks to move up and draft a potential pass rusher and then spend some smart money for a change in free agency. Any Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: How do we fix it?

I agree.  Without a good pass rush you give the DB's no chance. 

One thing I will say is that the Saints were just a faster team.  Bodden was getting scorched.

I still dont understand why BB lets Wilhite go one on one with No.1 recievers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I agree, Weiss gets a lot of attention but the offense has been good enough since he left. 

The Defense has not been the same since Crennel left, maybe it was the personnel changes at the same time but they are bad.  The defense has appeared to get worse every year for the last four years.  Maybe Weiss can help the offense but something needs to change on the defense or this team will be mediocre

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: How do we fix it?:
    I agree.  Without a good pass rush you give the DB's no chance.  One thing I will say is that the Saints were just a faster team.  Bodden was getting scorched. I still dont understand why BB lets Wilhite go one on one with No.1 recievers.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

Yup, If the Patriots draft a running back and then user every other pick on defense I would be happy. I'm a Nebraska fan and they have a stud named 
    Ndamukong Suh  coming out this year that would love to see. I'm sure the coaches will have their eyes on more players. I'd use Oakland's number one to move up this year if possible and I'd also be looking at free agency for options. It all starts at the line. Yes Wilhite Sukkkks too. I'm ready to start a post with the Jim Mora "WE SUCKKED" Rant because that's the way I feel right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I agree, Weiss gets a lot of attention but the offense has been good enough since he left.  The Defense has not been the same since Crennel left, maybe it was the personnel changes at the same time but they are bad.  The defense has appeared to get worse every year for the last four years.  Maybe Weiss can help the offense but something needs to change on the defense or this team will be mediocre
    Posted by shenanigan

When Romeo came here we were ready to send Willie McGinest out to the pasture. Everybody thought we wasted a draft pick on Teddy Bruschi and Nobody thought mike Vrabel would amount to a hill of beans. The list goes on. We've been on a steady decline on defense since he left. Where are the Playmakers on defense? Answer: We don't have any anymore. Let's hope Cleveland scraps their coaching staff this year and Romeo comes home to roost.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

You fix it by getting coaches that can and will make in game adjustments.

you fix it by firing guys like Pees and whoever runs the offense,  Bill and his staff have been outcoached, by a wide margin, in all of the losses and in some of the wins

you get players that execute the plays

It is time to bech some guys like Burgess, Thomas, #24, Kazur and even Merriweather (can't even bring myself to type his burnt A S S Name)

And one more thing TACKLING is gawd awful on this team

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Let's start by not trading down our 1st and 2nd round draft picks.  The stockpiling of late round picks doesn't work anymore.  There is no subsititute for talent in the NFL and the Patriots defense is sorely lacking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Let's start by not trading down our 1st and 2nd round draft picks.  The stockpiling of late round picks doesn't work anymore.  There is no subsititute for talent in the NFL and the Patriots defense is sorely lacking.
    Posted by gfkr2

Amen GF,
    We need playmakers and they are a lot easy to find in the first and second rounds.I've said it before, the most valuable pick we have is Oaklands number 1 next year. pretty much everybody knows it will be a top 5. Let's draft high and spend a little more. TBC is a good situational player but not an every down pass rusher. I don't want a "D" full of Tullys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by gfkr2

I think BB has generally been doing the right thing by looking for bargains in lower rounds and in free agency, but maybe he needs to balance this by making a few more high-profile free agent acquisitions or choosing a top prospect in the draft. I do wonder, however, about the Patriots' ability to evaluate talent. We've had some recent busts in both the draft and in free agency that make me concerned.  And it seems we let some players go who could help us.  Just look at that third receiver slot. We drafted Chad Jackson with a high pick, we let Givens and Gafffney go (both productive), and wasted a bunch of picks on guys like Lewis and Galloway who were total busts.  That's not an impressive record. And it's really hurting us this year.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lquintin. Show lquintin's posts

Kraft is getting his bridge across route 1... no expense to the Patriots why not spend the money to instill a affective pass in Foxboro.

I had hopes that Kraft would go after Julius Peppers, but no they stayed pat on 17 and look at the results not one win on the road this season

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Kraft is getting his bridge across route 1... no expense to the Patriots why not spend the money to instill a affective pass in Foxboro. I had hopes that Kraft would go after Julius Peppers, but no they stayed pat on 17 and look at the results not one win on the road this season
    Posted by lquintin

Don't get me started on the foot bridge that we're paying for..

I was pulling for Peppers too. The sad thing is that we thought Adalius Thomas was going to be a play maker and payed him huge for next to no production. Just adding 1 impact player like Peppers  would make a big difference to the rest of the "D". The Skins shelled out some righteous money for Haynesworth and I don't think the Pats will ever do that. Let's see what kind of maneuvers we can make when draft time comes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

We desperately Need an offensive coordinator.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We desperately Need an offensive coordinator.
    Posted by Espnetboy3

He might be on the way we just need to pay him "close to head Coach Money". Keep pulling for Cleveland to blow the whole thing up out there too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : Amen GF, We need playmakers and they are a lot easy to find in the first and second rounds.I've said it before, the most valuable pick we have is Oaklands number 1 next year. pretty much everybody knows it will be a top 5. Let's draft high and spend a little more. TBC is a good situational player but not an every down pass rusher. I don't want a "D" full of Tullys.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I agree. Our successes were based largely on drafting diamonds-in-the-rough like teddy, asante and ty law along with FA acquisitions like vrabel, rodney and dillon. We've fallen flat in both categories recently, which is exactly why we're falling back towards the middle of the pack.

Adalius needs to go and we need major upgrades at OLB. Our pass rush is just flat out pitiful. You just cannot win in the NFL without a decent pass rush.

I don't think crennel was any genius. he could hardly have done worse with the browns. he just benefitted from the great personel we had on the D. But, we do need a body at defensive coordinator. BB can't do everything.

I though it was scary last night seeing BB just standing there, looking lost in space, as we were getting sodomized by the saints, especially in the second half. Where were the adjustments? What were we doing to counteract the saints blitzes and blanketing coverage of our receivers? Did they run one screen pass? Did Faulk even catch a pass last night?

BB was once known for his halftime adjustments but I haven't seen any  in a long time. I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to wonder if the game has passed him by.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : I agree. Our successes were based largely on drafting diamonds-in-the-rough like teddy, asante and ty law along with FA acquisitions like vrabel, rodney and dillon. We've fallen flat in both categories recently, which is exactly why we're falling back towards the middle of the pack. Adalius needs to go and we need major upgrades at OLB. Our pass rush is just flat out pitiful. You just cannot win in the NFL without a decent pass rush. I don't think crennel was any genius. he could hardly have done worse with the browns. he just benefitted from the great personel we had on the D. But, we do need a body at defensive coordinator. BB can't do everything. I though it was scary last night seeing BB just standing there, looking lost in space, as we were getting sodomized by the saints, especially in the second half. Where were the adjustments? What were we doing to counteract the saints blitzes and blanketing coverage of our receivers? Did they run one screen pass? Did Faulk even catch a pass last night? BB was once known for his halftime adjustments but I haven't seen any  in a long time. I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to wonder if the game has passed him by.
    Posted by unclealfie

I can't argue with that. Over the years we have lost great players and great coaches and have just replaced them with who ever was next in line or someone that would come here cheap. Belichick said his biggest weakness when he was in Cleveland was that he tried to do too much as a coach and he needed competent assistants to delegate too. Right now I think we're back in Cleveland.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Pats are victims of thier own success, after a couple Super Bowls everybody wants more money or a promotion. 

Thier players and staff have been pillaged for the last five years.  They need stability.  The only places I think the pats need personnel to excel are on the offensive and defensive lines.  Everywhere else I think the players just need some experience to become better.  Here is how I see it.

LB- core is good and athletic but get out of position sometimes-experience needed. 

The secondary, good safeties, mediocre CB's very little experience, will get better if they can stay around a while.  Secondary is new every year no stability.

DL -Wilfork is good but you need to make teams choose to double team him or "who"  -used to be Seymour.  Wilfork sees a double team every play.

Offense- This area needs little work.  QB and recievers are good.  RB is mediocre, Line needs work but Vollmer looks promising.

I know we are quick to blame everyone after a bad loss and there is room for improvement, but does anyone agree?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Where were the adjustments? What were we doing to counteract the saints blitzes and blanketing coverage of our receivers? Did they run one screen pass? Did Faulk even catch a pass last night? BB was once known for his halftime adjustments but I haven't seen any  in a long time. I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to wonder if the game has passed him by.
    Posted by unclealfie

Adjustments were there.

Go back and rewatch the game if you can. That game was lost on like 7-8 big plays. And on first down. And all of those plays developed very quickly.

The bottom line was that the defensive backfield made mistake, after mistake, after mistake. They kept coming of their assignments, and in one case Wilhite just let a player run right past him.

They were late and slow, and then early and too fast. When they were late the Saints hit it. When they were early, the Saints looked the other way and hit it elswhere.

There was zero discipline. Zero.

Fixing this involves the players first, because they are a LOT more talented than they looked last night . . .and I know that is hard to hear after that loss.

But it is the truth. They just need to remember their assignments and execute. That game was close right into the fourth quarter, and the players let those big plays get into their heads.

I believe they can fix it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Get more receiving options and hard RB plays...the Pats need more smashers less dashers.  TB is GREAT when there is a scary RB for play action.

Shotgun was the death of the Pat's offense!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to How do we fix it?:
    This defense unfortunately is still hideous. It starts at the Line. I love Wilfork but aside from that when  are we ever going to get a pass rusher. I for one am willing to eat what ever salary cap money we have to eat by dumping A Thomas. We need at least one guy in the mold of Albert Haynesworth or Osi Umenyiora. I also don't disagree with the Posters that say we Haven't won anything since Weiss and Crennel left. One thing is for certain, this defense has gone down hill since then. Let's use picks to move up and draft a potential pass rusher and then spend some smart money for a change in free agency. Any Thoughts?
    Posted by ewhite1065

I look at last night as a good time to find out what we saw. BB saw very clearly that he is dead against the top teamin football.

Fixes:

1) Pass rush. We let a 6 foot tall (great QB) have all the time in the world to kick our butts. We need to change up our attack and if needed find a killer.

2) How about we cover some receivers??? We saw guys looking stupid, not just beat but like they did not understand a cover scheme. We need to find out who the folks with heart are out there we can get. NO played McKenzie and Chris McAlister Both played like they appreciated the chance to shine again.....who is out there we can get?

We NEED to see what is out there in the market, I do not know if we have what we need on the team right now...

BB is a genius, I would be taking a chance on who ever could give us and edge in Pass Rush and cover

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

If you were looking around the league for a coach who can fix this team who would you take?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

If you were looking around the league for a coach who can fix this team who would you take?
    Posted by shenanigan

I'd take the 2 assistants we had when we were dominant if we have a shot. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with BB. We have serious player personell problems right now. We have guys on "D" with Potential but you know what Potential and 25 cents will get you. I think we need both talent on the field and some help with the coaching staff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by shenanigan

Bill Belichick

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We NEED to see what is out there in the market, I do not know if we have what we need on the team right now... BB is a genius, I would be taking a chance on who ever could give us and edge in Pass Rush and cover
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

Bill,
     I was checking out the "D" line Free agents yesterday and the Best names besides Wilfork on the list are Peppers and Seymour(Wouldn't that be Ironic).
    Peppers is going to cost huge and Carolina will most likely franchise him. The other guys are all guys that won't be impact play makers IMHO.
    Here are some LB's that might provide a pass rush starting with Juice head of the year Lights out Shawn Merriman. I hate him but if he puts up 10 Sacks for us I'll go buy his Jersey.
    Karlos Dansby had 8 sacks in 2006 and is as solid a LB and tackling machine as there might be out there.
    Bertrand Berry..His best sack years when he put up double digits are a few years past him but at 32 years old he is a prototypical OLB for the 3-4 and could possibly get 7 or 8 sacks in the right system. He seems like a Bellichick player. Besides, who wouldn't want someone on the team named "The B Train".
    If you want run stoppers Demeco Ryans, Barret Ruud and D'Qwell Jackson will also be free agents. I'll take any one of those 3. It's a good free agent year for LB's coming up as long as they get a collective bargaining agreement done.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Top DB's for 2010 free agency.
    Carlos Rogers, Washington Redskins (28)
    Tramon Williams, Green Bay Packers (26) – Restricted FA
    Richard Marshall, Carolina Panthers (24)
    Marlin Jackson, Indianapolis Colts (26)
    Alan Ball, Dallas Cowboys (24) – Restricted FA
    Leigh Bodden, New England Patriots (27)
    Dre’ Bly, San Francisco 49ers (32)
    Ralph Brown, Arizona Cardinals (30)
    Brent Grimes, Atlanta Falcons (26) – Restricted FA
    Nick Harper, Tennessee Titans (34)
    Walt Harris, San Francisco 49ers (35)
    Anthony Henry, Detroit Lions (32)
    Ellis Hobbs, Philadelphia Eagles (26)
    Roderick Hood, Cleveland Browns (27)
    Tim Jennings, Indianapolis Colts (26)
    Ken Lucas, Seattle Seahawks (30)
    Karl Paymah, Minnesota Vikings (26)
    Stanford Routt, Oakland Raiders (26)
    Deshea Townsend, Pittsburgh Steelers (33)
    Fabian Washington, Baltimore Ravens (26)
    Usama Young, New Orleans Saints (24) – Restricted FA

I don't know much about any of these guys and won't pretend to but these are the names of the prominent DB's.

Sections
Shortcuts