How do we fix it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: How do we fix it?

In Response to Re: How do we fix it?:
    [QUOTE]We could have used a player like Brian Orakpo...wreakin havoc...but he is just wasting away in Washington...but in order for a guy to give you instant sacks you gotta go top 15 pic....we have one, but he plays inside..and he is not at the playmaking position...and wont get many sacks..but I assume Bill thought A.D. would have done something this year...He did have a sack Monday night...playing on the line...so maybe they put him in Burgess' spot cuz he aint did squat yet either....Lets hope these guys come alive in the playoff.s..thats really all we have to look forward too....cuz Willie Mac aint walking thru that locker room...
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

I agree Patsfan. No Albert Haynesworths out there this year but one thing we have is the ammunition to move up in the draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Fixable:

Rookies: You lose a game for every rookie you start.  Butler and Chung need to get better.  It happens.  This team was just plain ugly when they faced Buffalo in week 1, and then things suddenly jelled in the fourth quarter.  On the line, Pryor, Mike Wright is still developing.  I don't even know half the walk-on linebackers.  Guyton?  Woods? 

Familiarity:  The NOrleans offense is as complex as the Patriots offense, (and is based roughly on the Patriots system) but playing against it gets better with familiarity.

The trap game factor:  Last week was the Jets.  Beating them was key.  Next week is Miami.  Beat them and book Foxboro for January.  NOrleans is a non-conference game.

Injuries:  Brace needs to get his bum ankle on the field.  Fred Taylor would be really nice by late December.  Nice to see Sammy shaking rust off.  A bunch of people are nicked.  Who else is in that injury pile and ready to get up?

Unfixable: 

Guyton and Woods are great finds for walk-ons, but they're not exactly first round draft choices.  The two new corners are other teams' castoff free agents.  There's a reason why the new corners don't demand ten million dollar salaries.  6'5" Seymour would have been nice against 6'0" Brees.  I haven't seen Burgess, that pass-rushing castoff from Oakland in a long time, and pass rushing is where half the league is going, especially against Brees, Peyton and Brady.

I'm not a coach.  I don't fix it.  Some of the problem will fix itself.  Some won't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Fixable: Rookies: You lose a game for every rookie you start.  Butler and Chung need to get better.  It happens.  This team was just plain ugly when they faced Buffalo in week 1, and then things suddenly jelled in the fourth quarter.   Beating them was key.  Next week is Miami.  Beat them and book Foxboro for January.  NOrleans is a non-conference game. Injuries:  Brace needs to get his bum ankle on the field.  Fred Taylor would be really nice by late December.  Nice to see Sammy shaking rust off.  A bunch of people are nicked.  Who else is in that injury pile and ready to get up? Unfixable:  Guyton and Woods are great finds for walk-ons, but they're not exactly first round draft choices.  The two new corners are other teams' castoff free agents.  Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Belichick always says the biggest year of improvement for players is their 2nd year. I'm willing to cut Butler and Chung some slack but we need a pass rush in a big way. We must be down near the bottom of the league in sacks this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

posted at 12/1/2009 10:58 AM EST
    First: 2/11/2007
    Last: 12/2/2009

BB was once known for his halftime adjustments but I haven't seen any  in a long time. I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to wonder if the game has passed him by.

I'm beginning to wonder why you post here. You put everyone who is not a Pats cheerleader on ignore and every post is always in a negative light towards the Pats....go join the Jets with leon.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Safety play.

You take away two big plays (the Colston catch for 67yds and the wide open Henderson catch for 75yds) where the safety bit on misdirections and it's a 7-point game.

But I started a board elsewhere on this, so I won't repeat myself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Re: How do we fix it? posted at 12/1/2009 10:58 AM EST unclealfie Posts: 819 First: 2/11/2007 Last: 12/2/2009 BB was once known for his halftime adjustments but I haven't seen any  in a long time. I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to wonder if the game has passed him by. I'm beginning to wonder why you post here. You put everyone who is not a Pats cheerleader on ignore and every post is always in a negative light towards the Pats....go join the Jets with leon.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's him RoadKing. What's happened to this coaching staff over the last 5 years can only be compared to prison rape.(Poetic License) I really think he misses his top assistants. If you look at the saints I think they play with the same particular style that we do. They just have better players and seem a lot more organized on the field. I don't know if that is experience or poor coaching but I think it is a little of both and I think BB has too many irons in the fire from a coaching standpoint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Ever since his D allowed the Giants to get that last TD in SB42, I've soured on Dean Pees.

Since he took over as DC in 2006 his defenses have:

- blown a 21-3 halftime lead by allowing 35 2nd half points in the 2006 AFCCG

- allowed the Giants to get a GWTD in SB 42 despite the G-men begininng the drive at their own 17 with 2:15 remaining

- allowed 30+ points in 4/5 losses in 2008, all to good teams, at home and on the road, contributing to the team missing the postseaon for the first time in six years

- allowed QBs to shred the Pats in 3/4 losses in 2009, in the 2nd half of games

Is it all Pees' fault? Not 100%, but he is the common denominator in all these debacles. In SB42, how hard can it be to scheme against a team who's only option is a TD?

Is Pees just a BB puppet? Unlikely. Especially that BB didn't hire an OC. BB has worked with the O more so throughout his Pats tenure.

In 2005, BB removed Rat Boy of his playcalling duties after a MNF loss at home to the Colts (40-21). After this latest loss, where the Pats D looked like the Keystone Cops, why wouldn't BB do the same to Pees?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

e,  I don't know at this point if there is a quick fix.  I think we may have crossed the tipping point.  I honestly think were looking at a 3 - 5 year rebuilding period.  We have major problems on both sides of the ball and with coaching (coordinators).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

[QUOTE]If you were looking around the league for a coach who can fix this team who would you take?
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

If I were looking around the league for a HC I would stay right in New England and keep the Hoodie!  It is the Cordinators and/or assistant coaches that need to start pounding sand. When Bill had the staff of Wiess and Crannel the team was Super Bowl worthy and after the poaching of their replacements (ratginia and josh) there has been a real drop off in Second Half adjustments, Communication of the plays, Play selection and the young guys don't seem ready to step in and play at a high level.  I don't think Bill needs to be replaced but I know for sure Pee's has got to Go and No one outside the organization knows who calls offensive plays but whoever it is needs to hit the door with Pee's.

"Pees' Defense is Urine Poor"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]e,  I don't know at this point if there is a quick fix.  I think we may have crossed the tipping point.  I honestly think were looking at a 3 - 5 year rebuilding period.  We have major problems on both sides of the ball and with coaching (coordinators).
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

W*T*F are you talking about?

The offensive line was starting a player who hadn't played in two months and a no-name-face, both of whom got beat regularly preventing the Pats from fooling McKenzie with double moves or letting routes develop.

The defense blew four assignments that accounted for half of the Saints' yards, mistakes that are easily corrected in a film room and in practice the next couple weeks.

You're effing nuts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I can't believe we're almost to the end of the second page of a thread entitled "How do we fix it?" and nobody has suggested Duct Tape.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Nick you're a snot nosed 21 year old kid-Run along-The men are talking football. Who started this a ssinie thread anyway? How doyou fix it ???Pretty Simple Simpleton-You get em next year.Face it this team just aint that good!
    Posted by --l2-theH--[/QUOTE]

Now, now, Leon . . .   let's play nice.

If you catch him on the right day, he's also one of those old-time blue-collar guys who can still afford to go to the games.

You have to keep your eyes open around here, little brother. Things are not always what they seem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Nick you're a snot nosed 21 year old kid-Run along-The men are talking football. Who started this a ssinie thread anyway? How doyou fix it ???Pretty Simple Simpleton-You get em next year.Face it this team just aint that good!
    Posted by --l2-theH--[/QUOTE]

Ironic that you criticize me then don't talk about anything relevant to football

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : W*T*F are you talking about? The offensive line was starting a player who hadn't played in two months and a no-name-face, both of whom got beat regularly preventing the Pats from fooling McKenzie with double moves or letting routes develop. The defense blew four assignments that accounted for half of the Saints' yards, mistakes that are easily corrected in a film room and in practice the next couple weeks. You're effing nuts.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

All I see above is an excuse made for the Offensive line......You know the line that is the scapegoat for the Maroney Apologists.  The same line with Light on one side and Oxy on the other.

And your so called mistakes are in actuality talentless players playing up to their ability.  Funny how it wasen't fixed after being slashed by Indy.  Funny how BB doesn't trust it and goes for 4th and 5's in the Red Zone.  Nick your blind homerism is showing through and that's fine.  But don't call nuts for what 99.9% of the sports world and I see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : All I see above is an excuse made for the Offensive line......You know the line that is the scapegoat for the Maroney Apologists.  The same line with Light on one side and Oxy on the other. And your so called mistakes are in actuality talentless players playing up to their ability.  Funny how it wasen't fixed after being slashed by Indy.  Funny how BB doesn't trust it and goes for 4th and 5's in the Red Zone.  Nick your blind homerism is showing through and that's fine.  But don't call nuts for what 99.9% of the sports world and I see.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

It's clear that you either don't know much about football or you're so caught up in your emotions that you can't distance yourself from the situation enough to break down the facts.  It's got NOTHING TO DO WITH HOMERISM.

Did you even bother to read this article the last time I recommended it?  I'll post it again because it clearly breaks down what happened on at least one of the big plays:

If you have a TiVo, watch the big plays that they gave up.  I know that at least two of them have to do with the safety being out of position, and I outline them clearly in the other board I started.

Also, try to remember that Vollmer didn't play.  I know you want to to stick the firing squad on the Pats O-line, but they did do a good job run blocking and the only real problem I saw was the left tackle position (even Kazcur performed servicably).

Edelman also didn't play, and it was clear that Brady needed one more target to take advantage of the double teams that Moss and Welker were seeing.

It's got NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEFENSIVE TALENT and everything to do with the talent executing their assignment.  They're more than fast enough and strong enough.  They just got frustrated and let their emotions get the better of them.  Just like you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

Does any one think that getting Greene back will help the pass rush?  He may not be the answer, but at least create some pressure!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Does any one think that getting Greene back will help the pass rush?  He may not be the answer, but at least create some pressure!
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS[/QUOTE]

He was breaking through Monday night, but the coverage wasn't holding up for long enough for him to get there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : I can't argue with that. Over the years we have lost great players and great coaches and have just replaced them with who ever was next in line or someone that would come here cheap. Belichick said his biggest weakness when he was in Cleveland was that he tried to do too much as a coach and he needed competent assistants to delegate too. Right now I think we're back in Cleveland.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

I have to wonder how much of that is related to Kraft... I have a feeling he is very tight with the wallet when it comes to dishing out the pay for quality talent. Which may be why BB doesn't go for first rounders as much as he could.. And that may be why we don't see top-flight coaching staff moving into to replace the staff BB built over the years... That and I imagine it takes years to develop that staff...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmac217. Show jmac217's posts

Bring back the old team of Crennel and Weis

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]e,  I don't know at this point if there is a quick fix.  I think we may have crossed the tipping point.  I honestly think were looking at a 3 - 5 year rebuilding period.  We have major problems on both sides of the ball and with coaching (coordinators).
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

Wow, I missed a lot of posts on my way home from work.
    I may be in the minority but I think your a realist K-Max. I think they can change more things faster with solid coaching changes but I'm going to be pi$$ed if they don't do some up trading in the draft and go for quality this year instead of quantity.Good coaches can make decent players look very good. I still think we have a shot but we're on the decline instead of the incline. I have confidence that Belichick will do the right thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Bring back the old team of Crennel and Weis
    Posted by jmac217[/QUOTE]

Sing it my Brother, sing it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : Wow, I missed a lot of posts on my way home from work. I may be in the minority but I think your a realist K-Max. I think they can change more things faster with solid coaching changes but I'm going to be pi$$ed if they don't do some up trading in the draft and go for quality this year instead of quantity.Good coaches can make decent players look very good. I still think we have a shot but we're on the decline instead of the incline. I have confidence that Belichick will do the right thing.

Moving up in the draft only increases risk ($/talent varies drastically).  For every Matt Ryan there's two or three Ryan Leafs, and for $30-60 million it isn't worth the risk.

I trust the scouting department.  They seem to have done fairly well in finding Vollmer, Chung, Butler, and Edelman.

(And in 2011, the Raiders' pick, which might be a high pick, stands to be subject to a rookie wage scale)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Safety play. You take away two big plays (the Colston catch for 67yds and the wide open Henderson catch for 75yds) where the safety bit on misdirections and it's a 7-point game. But I started a board elsewhere on this, so I won't repeat myself.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Your right Nick, Meriweather may be a hard hitter but he is caught out of position often. The pass play that went for about 80 when it looked like no one covered the receiver was on him. The corner blitzed off the end and he just hung out in center field. He's got talent but again he's young.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we fix it? : Sing it my Brother, sing it

Here's something I can really get behind: I'd LOVE to see Weis back with the Patriots.

The offense had nothing going for it aside from the running game Monday Night.  It was clear the Saints were prepared for the Pats' passing game and once they buried the Pats in points they forced their high-paced playing style.

As Mike Reiss pointed out, once Brady threw his first pick to open the drive at the New Orleans 40-yard-line, it altered the complexion of the game.