How do we line up without Mayo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

How do we line up without Mayo?

Well, the Pats keep getting hit with the injury bug. The one player we could not lose for any significant time, looks like he will be out for a bit. So, with Mayo out of the lineup for at least the Jets game, how do the Pats line up on D given our lack of quality LB's in reserve? 
    Does Tedy come back? Does Eric Alexander line up with Guyton when we are in the 3-4?....What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Re: How do we line up without Mayo?

My guess is that Thomas moves inside with Guyton on the 3-4. Then you have Woods, Banta-Cain, Burgess and Ninkovich outside. Im suspecting more of a 4-3 line up with either Thomas or Guyton inside.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wreford1. Show Wreford1's posts

Paris Lenon was just signed by the Rams...so there goes that possilbe solution. Any one thought about bringing back Rose Colvin, not much left out there in free agency.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtroth. Show jtroth's posts

It's time to sign Derrick Brooks. He can still play at a high level and provide much-needed leadership for the defense. We won't win games with the linebacking corp we have right now. Guyton got toasted the entire Bills game, and I particularly noticed that with the exception of Thomas, none of our linebackers could shed a block. It was a sad site, and if Belichick wants to make the playoffs this year, signing Brooks is a must, and we should also consider bringing back Seau as an insurance policy and another leadership influence for the defense. Maybe Belichick will learn a lesson and stop trading out of the first round of the draft every year and actually take a blue chip linebacker every now and again!!!
    The good news is that our defensive backs looked much better than last year.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

I know this... We cant afford to lose A. Thomas with any sort of injury. who would we have play LB? Guyton isnt a savior. Mayo being out for makes our defense shuffle the roles on players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

In Response to Re: How do we line up without Mayo?:
    It's time to sign Derrick Brooks. He can still play at a high level and provide much-needed leadership for the defense. We won't win games with the linebacking corp we have right now. Guyton got toasted the entire Bills game, and I particularly noticed that with the exception of Thomas, none of our linebackers could shed a block. It was a sad site, and if Belichick wants to make the playoffs this year, signing Brooks is a must, and we should also consider bringing back Seau as an insurance policy and another leadership influence for the defense. Maybe Belichick will learn a lesson and stop trading out of the first round of the draft every year and actually take a blue chip linebacker every now and again!!! The good news is that our defensive backs looked much better than last year.  
    Posted by jtroth

What did they draft last season? Oh yeah a stud MLB in the first round. He clearly didnt like the guys available at his draft position this year. I dont think Seau or Brooks are the answer. Maybe Brooks to add depth if Mayo is out a long time. But do you really think he would still be available if he had anything left in the tank? Do you think Tampa would have dumped their defensive heart and soul of the last 14 seasons if he had anything left? We wont win any games because of Derrick Brooks either. Think Tedy Bruschi here. Thomas and Guyton have to hold the middle down until Mayo is healthy again. The worst part is Thomas is much more affective as an OLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We're going to have to go without Mayo for 8 weeks. Guyton just needs to learn how to defend aginast the screen pass. He can tackle well and has great speed. Luckily Mayo comes back one week before the Colts game. 

If it's not Brooks it's going to be Guyton. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

4-3:

Guyton        Thomas         Woods

Green          Wright          Fork             Warren

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

4-3:                 Guyton        Thomas         Woods         Green          Wright          Fork             Warren
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Thats my guess for about 70% of the snaps until Mayo is back. I also think a nickel set up with the 3 safeties McGowan, Merriweather and Sanders. With Merriweather playing near the line of scrimage. Similar to what they did with Harrison.

Sanders                    McGowan

Merriweather

Guyton                     Thomas
    Green       Wright         Wilfork        Warren

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

How bout bringing back the Big Nickle?  Two LBs - A. Thomas and Guyton, and one extra safety - Chung or McGowan?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

How bout bringing back the Big Nickle?  Two LBs - A. Thomas and Guyton, and one extra safety - Chung or McGowan?
    Posted by ShiningWizard

Look at the post above yours.Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

In Response to Re: How do we line up without Mayo? : Thats my guess for about 70% of the snaps until Mayo is back. I also think a nickel set up with the 3 safeties McGowan, Merriweather and Sanders. With Merriweather playing near the line of scrimage. Similar to what they did with Harrison.                Sanders                    McGowan                          Merriweather                 Guyton                     Thomas Green       Wright         Wilfork        Warren
    Posted by Tnutts

This is well and but the issue with Guyton was shedding blocks on screen passes. Do you really think a safety (smaller) will fare better against a Guard?

Isnt a "big nickel" usually to counter TE/WR play in mutli receiver sets.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

In Response to Re: How do we line up without Mayo? : This is well and but the issue with Guyton was shedding blocks on screen passes. Do you really think a safety (smaller) will fare better against a Guard? Isnt a "big nickel" usually to counter TE/WR play in mutli receiver sets.
    Posted by geoffchox

Yes that is what a nickel is for primarly. But with more speed on the field and the defense being spread out, it would be harder for a line man to get his body on a safety.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In Response to Re: How do we line up without Mayo? : Thats my guess for about 70% of the snaps until Mayo is back. I also think a nickel set up with the 3 safeties McGowan, Merriweather and Sanders. With Merriweather playing near the line of scrimage. Similar to what they did with Harrison.                Sanders                    McGowan                          Merriweather                 Guyton                     Thomas Green       Wright         Wilfork        Warren
    Posted by Tnutts
    Pretty good but I am thinking a little outside the box:

Sanders                    McGowan

Merriweather

Wright                     Thomas
    Green       BRACE         Wilfork       
    Warren

I think their best player for ILB now is Mike Wright

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Mike Wright is way to big and slow to be an ILB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Did Brace play on Monday night?  When is he going to fulfill our dreams of starting two mammoth defensive tackles taking away all 4 gaps between the tackles?

There were times I saw Wilfork and Green struggling to control both gaps - the Bills maneuvered them into the wrong gaps on some plays they zoomed in on, and probably others.  What gives?  The D seemed vulnerable to those sweep plays where the RB would run to the left sideline.  

Was Wright lining up as DE at all?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Did Brace play on Monday night?  When is he going to fulfill our dreams of starting two mammoth defensive tackles taking away all 4 gaps between the tackles? There were times I saw Wilfork and Green struggling to control both gaps - the Bills maneuvered them into the wrong gaps on some plays they zoomed in on, and probably others.  What gives?  The D seemed vulnerable to those sweep plays where the RB would run to the left sideline.   Was Wright lining up as DE at all?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Mostly I saw Wright lined up as a DT with Wilfork and they had Burgess and Banta-Cain outside. I agree I want to see Brace, Wilfork, Green and Warren all out there together. I think part of the problem with the sweeps was A) They were trying hard to not get beat over the top by Owens and Evans B) When they weren't backing off of Ownes and Evans the secondary couldn't get off down field blocks. Also most of those sweeps were successful once Thomas moved inside. It clearly weakened their ability to control the edge

Sections
Shortcuts