How do you defend........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: How do you defend........

In Response to Re: How do you defend........:
    [QUOTE]This is a great set when its not overused. I would replace stalworth with Gaffney though. The problem is that we use the 4 and 5 wide sets too often which allows a defense to be in the rprt Also with Brady being the compeitot he is he absorbs some big hits in that set. Any offense we use will work well as we have the best QB to ever do it....he just can't do it alone. We need McD to utilize every piece of this high powered offense, something that has not happened too often since 2008 when we were forced to be creative.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

This is a great set when its not overused. I would replace stalworth with Gaffney though. The problem is that we use the 4 and 5 wide sets too often which allows a defense to be in the rprt Also with Brady being the compeitot he is he absorbs some big hits in that set.

agreed and agrreed

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

If this was 2007 we could do this.

Lloyd and Wes bunched up with Gronk at TE and Aaron split out wide with Ridley in the backfield sounds much more. Then thats when you mix in Deion, Gaffney and whoever else makes it at WR. Different sets that will have Aaron and Gronk as the main guys and then likely Wes and Lloyd as the other guys who will produce as well.

Much to like about the offense but the OPs post is not what were going to be doing at all. The shotgun formation is not what we should be abusing. Tom under center is much better than Tom taking back to back snaps from the shot gun.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

One thing that killed me every time last year was when we audibled to 5 wide from a 4 rec set and sent benny as the 5th wideout. i don't think we evert hrew him the ball once and the other teams knew it.

I realize we were just taking advantage of the defensive sets on the field but it doesn't make sense to me to basically play with 10 guys as everybody knew Benny wasn't getting the ball.\

Hopefully Vareen is a player that can be used in that aspect(receiving threat).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I wouldnt forget how much OB affected this team last year with the game plans we went with. I know they went to the Super Bowl and were one catach from winning it but I see Josh McDaniels calling things different. I see a balanced attack but with much more variety and surprise than last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The offense will be unstoppable S-A.  Look for every scoring record to fall this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do you defend........ : yeah sure whatever you say
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

What Kansaspatriot says isn't so far fetched. In 07 the Patriots had that explosive offense because Moss stretched the field which opened the middle and short stuff. That team had many blowouts. Once Moss was gone physically and mentally the defenses never respected the over the top throws and were able to stuff the middle keeping the short stuff short.

Then the TEs developed which still caused mismatches all over the field without having to depend on the long throws. So now the Patriots just might have the long stuff back as well as the side line throws and all those mismatches. Having a healthy Gronk will make it almost impossible to defend. But having a solid running back that can catch, block, run between the tackles, can turn the corner on sweeps, and run the screens will make it that much more difficult to defend.

I also see this offensive line getting younger, bigger, and meaner than they've had and could very well dictate what this offense decides to do when ever they want to do it. This could very well be the best offense they've ever put on the field. 

Once again it looks great on paper. I can't wait to see it on the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Another year of incredible offense is about to unfold in New England,maybe even greater than the 2007 jugernaut !! More weapons than the U.S.A.F. Brady must feel like a great fighter pilot does knowing his weapons equal that of the USA's against the Iraqies during Desert Storm...Hernandez out of the backfield isn't as farfetched as you all might think,they tried him there last year with better than expected results and if you can remember the Gators offense that was one of Tebows binky formations with Hernandez lining up in the backfield and then just catching a short pass from TT and turning it into plus yards. Now if the Defense catches up with the offense then this is the year when all hell breaks loose!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]Employ a 4 man defensive line talented enough to beat the 5 blockers in front of them and hope the opposing offensive coordinator on the Patriot side is foolish enough to think it will work time and time again... see the last two Super Bowl results. There is nothing wrong with the 5 wide set as long as it's used in unison with some I-Formation pounding the rock, the important thing is to keep the opposing side off balance and confused.  We ran the 5 wide set in 2001, it's nothing new... Let's see some screens, counter runs, draw plays, flea flickers, quick pitch's, misdirection plays, let's put Gronk, Hernandez out there and pass the ball to Daniel Fells because he's uncovered.   We can pass all day and rack up great fantasy numbers, or we can be an efficient, third down converting machine that always comes away with at least a field goal and/or time of possession so our D gets a breather and has gas to attack.   We can't only rely on our 2 minute drill to get some points in a high pressure environment like a Super Bowl, we need to dictate the pace and control the outcome of games, we need to punch the other guy in the face and enforce our will on others.  In short we need to have finesse, but we have to out muscle the other guy when finesse fails. Cue Josh McDaniel's...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Let's see some screens

I concur ..didn't BJGE get a big gainer in the SB early second quarter.. never to be seen again. Wasn't this a mainstay in the Pats hay day?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Guys, I don't see any possible way for this team to not be better than the 2007 team. The combination of players on this team with Josh coming back, TB being the best QB to every play this game and the D making huge imnprovements to the line and LB positions, annnnndd, with this schedule.............................let's see if we can come up with some comparisons;

Germany through Poland in WWII
    The Celtics in the sixties against who cares

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]Pats have gone 5 wides on occasion which necessitates an empty backfield.  Requires crisp routes from the receivers and a quick throw from Brady if the D is blitzing otherwise it's viable.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Which is why it doesn't work against teams with a quick pass rush and good LBs and DBs.

In other words teams we'd be likely to play in the playoffs and SB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

glenr,

this example wasn't meant to imply they'd run it every down. This is where they ran into problems both times against the Giants when we handed them the superbowls, they ran it too much and didn't have an outside threat.

In fact, with a little more variety and a mid pack ranked ground game this formation is unstoppable!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do you defend........ : Which is why it doesn't work against teams with a quick pass rush and good LBs and DBs. In other words teams we'd be likely to play in the playoffs and SB
    Posted by glenr[/QUOTE]

Let's see.  Welker drops the ball and Tyree traps a ball on his head.  Both plays allowed the Giants to win Two Super Bowls.  Stop thinking you know more then BB, Rusty Jr.  We havn't had a running game since 04 and we should of won 2 more Super Bowls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ...We havn't had a running game since 04 and we should of won 2 more Super Bowls.

Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

That's three more SBs. Don't forget '06 (when Dillon was still there by the way).

Why are people calling this a "5 wide" set when it's not? It's empty backfield as it was described, but it's really only 3 wide, 4 if you want to call Hernandez a WR. Anyway, I'm sure they'll use formations like that, among many others. 

This is a much different group than '07. TEs were a non-factor then for example. But to say they'll be better than that team, let's just dial it back a bit until they play a few games. That team was pretty good, like historically good. This one has potential, that's it. 

And whoever is saying some UDFA receiver is going to be a difference maker on this club, I want some of what you're smoking. Have you seen the receivers that will be in camp? Do you expect an undrafted receiver to make the roster, let alone play a prominent role? If he makes it to the practice squad, he'd be doing well. 

16. This post has been removed.