How do you prevent drafting a Gholston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

How do you prevent drafting a Gholston?

I just saw on Sportscenter that Gholston was drafted #6 overall three years ago and is yet to sack an opposing QB.

I know many of you have mentioned him when ridiculing the Jets. My question is, was there anything there to indicate Gholston would be a bust? I'd love to hear from the draft guys on this board who've actually followed the draft in detail. I just started keeping up with the draft last year.

I'm interested in knowing if there were any red flags the Jets either deliberately overlooked or whether it was just a case of poor management.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblock33644. Show dblock33644's posts

Re: How do you prevent drafting a Gholston?

In Response to How do you prevent drafting a Gholston?:
    [QUOTE]I just saw on Sportscenter that Gholston was drafted #6 overall three years ago and is yet to sack an opposing QB. I know many of you have mentioned him when ridiculing the Jets. My question is, was there anything there to indicate Gholston would be a bust? I'd love to hear from the draft guys on this board who've actually followed the draft in detail. I just started keeping up with the draft last year. I'm interested in knowing if there were any red flags the Jets either deliberately overlooked or whether it was just a case of poor management.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QU

He didnt play all that well at Ohio State he was another Mike Mamula justa combine workout warrior.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfantiltheend. Show patsfantiltheend's posts

He wasnt an amazing college player, but he performed amazing at the combine. He put up ridiculous numbers there and thus, inflating his value. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]I just saw on Sportscenter that Gholston was drafted #6 overall three years ago and is yet to sack an opposing QB. I know many of you have mentioned him when ridiculing the Jets. My question is, was there anything there to indicate Gholston would be a bust? I'd love to hear from the draft guys on this board who've actually followed the draft in detail. I just started keeping up with the draft last year. I'm interested in knowing if there were any red flags the Jets either deliberately overlooked or whether it was just a case of poor management.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

ap~

THIS- IS- the simple trick...You do not, DOooo Nooot: Draft a Collegiate Defensive End early in The NFL Draft...simple as that (yes...no matter HOW fast their clocked 40 time was; yes...no matter HOW quick they looked in the combine agility drills).  Jets run a 3-4 Defense, New England runs a 3-4 Defense, MANY here on this BDC forum board, want New England to get a Linebacker...  In a 3-4 D, more than 9 outta 10 times, you NEED to draft a collegiate Defensive End, and then transfer him to 3-4 Outside Linebacker...  For the size aspect; To have the added size on the end at Outside Linebacker, b/c ya only have 3 D-Lineman, For that 3-4 Outside Linebacker to be able to "set the edge"; For that Outside Linebacker to be able to turn that running play Inwards, and not to let it get outside HIM, the last line of Defense on an outside running play (save for maybe a 5'10 cornerback, who's being blocked by a wideout regardless).  6 Foot 3 Inches=Nearly always, the Bare Minimum- 250- maybe 245 Pounds=the BAREST of minimum weight-wise.  Found almost SOLELY on a Collegiate Defensive End... 

Now, HOPEFULLY this new DE to NFL 3-4 OLB still can, Run up and set the edge...and even THIS is somewhat unusual for him, b/c suddenly this former DE is doing different moves, He's now playing IN space with his hand off of the ground: MANY different moves even HERE, considering this former collegiate DE USED to set the edge by starting with his hand on the ground and having a man in his face, with that O-Lineman's arms all over him...So formerly, that collegiate DE (on a running play towards his end) would be doing, different time's and angles and strength differences of stack-and-shedding that O-Lineman, all these differences in swim moves, with differing leverages, strengths, speeds, and angles, In order to swoop around this O-Lineman who he's tuffling with... And suddenly this NEW 3-4 OLB is running head on in to an O-Lineman or fullback attempting to clear the way in space FOR this runningback...sorta different than facing the intended offensive blocker face first and a single foot or two away from yourself, and lol-at a standstill at the snap of the ball, when you WERE on the LOS as a collegiate DE, right?  O.k., ya handled the oppossing blocker in massively larger & vaster space running right at you...ahh, now instead of being able to just knock the runningback half of the time, formerly when you were a DE (and watch him smash into another lineman, his or yours; Or simply impede his slow progress when that RB's dealing with the mass of humans when he's going through the LOS...he'll get damed up somewhere, or just enough)... Not NOW, weee!  Ya suddenly are DEALING with a Runningback in GREATER space (whether he turns inwards or outwards)...lmao, sorta better odds in HIS favor, right? 

Same here holds true, with that former collegiate DE to suddenly now NFL 3-4 OLB, varying his moves when he runs up at the snap of the ball and is suddenly OFF of an O-Lineman when this 3-4 OLB is blitzing the oppossing QB...more & now totally different quick-twitch speed variations, and differing pass-rush moves which give this 3-4 OLB far better chances to make this O-Lineman who's picking up his blitz, to utterly whiff altogether (ideally, obviously this is what you'd rather have as that 3-4 OLB sprinting up to blitz right at the snap=For the O-Lineman to just totally whiff on some quick body fake you'd give, b/c now IF that O-Lineman IS able to get his hands on you as you're doing some cr#ppy-#ss full sprint up to the LOS and weak-#ss fake, you as that 3-4 OLB are totally off-angle, badly balanced...and lol, this O-lineman can just put a single hard hand-punch big mitt on you and you're just done with, thrown to the ground on a bad balance during a poor fake you're giving in space, or skewed full-speed off sideways somewhere b/c you're going full-speed & in the midst of being badly balanced when he wails'ya)...

So alright, YOU now, ARE a collegiate Defensive End, who DID make a wonderful transition to 3-4 Outside Linebacker, in terms of transitioning to setting the edge now in space and with ZERO O-Lineman on you...  Heck, ya EVEN were able to master and almost completely tweek and in some instances, TOTALLY change-up and vary your pass-rushing moves-more quick speed moves of body faking in space going full-bore ahead and not losing ANY speed, Less strength oriented shedding, swimming angles, strength balancing angles of both Your's AND Their's (i.e. throwing this O-Lineman to the ground after ya get some or any sorta leverage with your body strength & positioning over his own)...  So GREAT!!  Mr. NFL Coach is glowing happy with you!! 

But Now Coach says ta ya: "You've done FAN-freakin-tastic Mr. Former College Defensive End- and soon-to-be MR. STARTING 3-4 Outside Linebacker...All'ya got left to do, is learn how to defend eligible receivers, or zones- Sorry, AND zone-coverages...b/c I'm asking you to do both depending on the defensive package during any specific down...". 

"Wha- WhaaAAA," you, Mr. 3-4 OLB hopeful, say?!?  "I've never freaking COVERED an eligible receiver before...I mean, AS a former Defensive End, I've sniffed out a few screen plays developing and was able to disrupt them and run a runningback or two down over on the side, the flat...BUT Whaaa?!? I can be covering Tightends, Runningbacks, and even at certain times, slot and possession wideouts?!? Are you just b.s.'ing me or what?"

Coach goes, "HowTH hard can it be? Learn every and all route trees, determine where coverage bubbles begin and end in zone, and precisely when and where eligible receivers leave 1 and enter another...probably yours, Have the neccessary speed to cover wideouts, runningbacks, and tightends, who're running exact timing patterns, perfect NFL-caliber route trees, which they know and you don't, coverage positioning, proper angles, & penalty-free pass defense when the ball's in the air, or not yea-depending on LOS jamming them, or not; Oh I forgot, ya need to read the QB in order to diagnose where the ball's headed and when on a passing play...Wait, wait, WHO am I kidding- Ya gotta now diagnose the PLAY itself, Run or Pass, Play-action fake...do I blitz on a play action fake OR not blitz...alright, I ONLY blitz IF it's NOT a 2 receiver set on my side of the field, if it's 1 WR I cover the RB...unless there's a TE, then I cover him...unless that TE goes in motion to the other side, then I stay in bubble coverage, but only 5 yards deep...unless that runningback stays in to pass-protect...in which case, I can creep back to 5-8 yards deep further down the field, in order to help b/c chances are the pass is going mid-range or long...Jesus Kr!st is that Vick back there?! Could he scramble...? What's my name...WhereTH am I?!"

Coach: "Have this mastered by training camp, 'cause they'll be a he!!'alot less opportunities to master this and get on the field come season time...Ya don't get this by end of next year's training camp, they'll be callin you a bust...Ya don't get this in 2 years, and you ARE a bust.  WhyTH did I draft you anyways, I need ta win NOW, or I'll be on the street WITH you... Good god, I effectively spent an early 1st rder on a guy I ABSOLUTELY must shelf for at least a year as he learns a brand new position for the first time in hiis football life, and THEN hope he's GOOD at it too?! WhaTH's wrong with me, I GOTTA win NOW?!"  

~THIS is why ya don't Draft a Collegiate DE to 3-4 NFL OLB until Round #2...maybe with the last 2 picks of Round 1...in which case, you're STILL bat crazy.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Simple. You don't draft a player because of the size of his arms, or how many times he can rep 225 pounds on the press. Sure it's impressive and strength is a huge aspect of being a linebacker, but people were brainwashed by this man's freakish body instead of realizing that converting him from a Defensive End in College to being an outside linebacker in a 3-4 system would be difficult for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think one thing that Belichick looks for is how much they love football and how smart they are. Watson didnt work out that well but I blame some of that on injury. Chad Jackson in his interviews didn't sound very smart IMHO and look how he worked out. I think your love of football means a lot in NE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's simple look at his final year in college. 14 sacks but only 37 tackles total. These numbers don't make sense until you watch video. He had a couple of great games when he wasn't blocked but he was easily taken out of the game when you put a strong OL to watch him. Any college player who relies on just their speed or strength to succeed won't make it to the next level.

One reason I don't want Moch. He reminds me of Gholston on a lot of levels

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

BB sent smoke signals like he was interested in Gholston and Jest fell for it hook, line and sinker!!!

The way you avoid it happening to you is not be such a sad franchise that hasn't won in over 40 years and reduced to choosing who you THINK the winners want.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Actually if most teams and people are honest you can't avoid it.  Every team has a "Gholston" draft pick in their history. 

We all know BB's approach to this is to gather up multiple picks in the early rounds each year so if the Pats do have a "Gholston" pick in there they have many other picks to get a hit on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Target the players you want to draft by how they played in college.  Use combine numbers to affirm your targeted players but never pick a player entirely by combine numbers.  I think this strategy would help.  The only sure fire way to avoid this is to trade out of the first round every year.  then it would be imposible...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: How do you prevent drafting a Gholston?:
    [QUOTE]Ap, great post. I don't really follow the draft all that much but I do wonder why some kids who look like they have all the skill wash out. I think it's brains. Some kids get it and some just survive on raw talent with no brain and they're the ones who wash. Did you know he had a $9,000,000.00 upside to his contract if he could record one sack....or one forced fumble........or one fumble recovery? Not one of each, any one of the three. Sad
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Brains yes but also maturity and work ethic. They overlap some. Some of these kids come out of college with seriously over inflated egos. Then they get handed a pile of money. If they have a good agent and family support to guide them they can learn how to handle themselves. The ones that don't usually screw up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Thanks guys. Very insightful.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on these things this year for sure. This year's draft is heavy with DEs and LBs and I'm interested in seeing who pans and who doesn't. I've read your posts here and seen the pro's and con's for almost every DE/LB out there.

I'm also keeping an eye on Julio Jones because he had perhaps the most impressive combine this year --- and with a broken foot, mind you!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Ap, great post. I don't really follow the draft all that much but I do wonder why some kids who look like they have all the skill wash out. I think it's brains. Some kids get it and some just survive on raw talent with no brain and they're the ones who wash. Did you know he had a $9,000,000.00 upside to his contract if he could record one sack....or one forced fumble........or one fumble recovery? Not one of each, any one of the three. Sad
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Holy sh!t. That is sad. I could see the guy not living up to his hype but it's hard to imagine him being that bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Don't pick a guy just to keep another team from getting him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Rowdy and rochfan hit on one of the keys as they apply particularly to Gholston. If your remember that year, there was an incredible buzz around New England about Gholston, and there was some disappointment, as well, when New Jersey plucked him away . . .   especially after the Pats traded down for another guy who wasn't believed to be on the radar.

There are two lessons to take from this:

1. The combine is all well and good if you're setting up some kind of Superstars or World's Strongest Man competition, but if you want to judge football players, you have to watch them play football. I read somewhere -- I can't remember if it was on this site -- that the standing broad jump (for example) is a good test of who will be able to survive the leap over an eight-foot crevasse full of molten lava in a post-apocalyptic world.

and . . .

2. You can't believe anything you hear this time of year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Answer: Don't sit in a desperate draft board room with Mike Tannenrube.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]BB sent smoke signals like he was interested in Gholston and Jest fell for it hook, line and sinker!!! The way you avoid it happening to you is not be such a sad franchise that hasn't won in over 40 years and reduced to choosing who you THINK the winners want.
    Posted by ROWDYRODRUST[/QUOTE]

Yup. Another reason why the Jets are so incensed and laden with jealousy towards NE.

That was classic.

BB did something similar with DeWayne Robertson. lol

The Jets are infamous for blowing 1st rd picks or reaching.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

You try not to draft one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

Good post by Lazarus.  Hits on the head the struggle to find that player for the Pats.  3-4 OLB is a very hard position to analyze because you're generally watching this guy play DE in college and trying to see if his skills can translate to LB in the pros.  It's a lot like trying to draft a QB playing in a spread offense.  You can see glimpses as to the kid being a good player, but there is a lot of guesswork  going on.  When you draft a RB, WR, OL, DT, CB, ILB, or S you can watch the film in college and see the strengths and weaknesses and have a firmer grasp on what you are getting - a much safer pick.

Agree with what most of you are saying about the combine.  Heard that one management/scouting guy say that the most important part of the combine was the medical.  Looking to augment what you see on film is what you're doing there.  For instance some of the CB's just had to prove they were fast and they did.  Julio Jones helped his case because he ran faster than they thought he would.  He was already a very good player.  Some guys it can definitely hurt.  I unfortunately think that Herzlich was hurt by his 40 time.  Poor performance in some of these drills aren't dealbreakers but they are red flags, a lot of times about lack of athleticism.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pwu. Show pwu's posts

simple. dont draft stupid, arrogant, lazy workout warriors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Have you read these books?

http://www.patriotsbook.com/

Book reviews of Management Secrets Vol. 1

• "Lavin makes a strong... case that the Patriots 'are a better organization than they are a team.'" (Richard Sandomir, New York Times, Jan. 22, 2005)
    • "Whether you're a New England fan or not, you'll be fascinated by [this] intriguing new book." (John McClain, Houston Chronicle, Jan. 30, 2005)
    • "Lavin has melded together fascinating quotes, statistics, and revelations that keep the reader entranced throughout the 350-page tome. A wonderful opportunity to [meet] the players, characters, and team... Lavin's remarkable story provides the recipe for championship stew." (Christopher Young, Boston Phoenix, Jan. 31, 2005)
    • "[San Diego Chargers general manager] A.J. Smith just finished re-reading Management Secrets of the New England Patriots, volumes one and two." (Providence Journal, Jan. 9, 2007)
    • "Fascinating." (Dave Perkins, Toronto Star, Feb. 5, 2005)
    • "An impressive look at what drives the team's success... It doesn't read like some wonkish, academic text." (Greg Gatlin, Boston Herald, Feb. 6, 2005)
    • "Timely, insightful book." (Peter Finney, Times-Picayune [New Orleans], Jan. 28, 2005)
    • "Required Reading... If the Colts, Steelers and any other NFL organization would like to get a jump on the Patriots, they should definitely pick up a copy." (Dan Pires and Steve DeCosta, Standard-Times [New Bedford, MA], Feb. 5, 2005)
    • "A great book. Having read and enjoyed other football-as-a-metaphor-for-life books such as The Packer Way by Ron Wolf, Winning the NFL Way by Bob LaMonte... and Think Like A Champion by Mike Shanahan, I can say that Management Secrets of the New England Patriots is as comprehensive and well-written a book as you can find on this subject. ...It was his intention to merge his studies of high-performance organizations and his obsession with his favorite team. This he has done most admirably." (Doug Farrar, Yahoo! Sports, Dec. 31, 2005)
    • "Intriguing and exhaustingly researched, Management Secrets of the New England Patriots succeeds at going beyond the headlines into the inner workings of the Kraft/Belichick aura. ...Much more than a look at the Patriots business acumen. Liberally infused with recollections from players, staff and opponents, Secrets will score in resounding fashion with fans of the three-time champions." (Ken Castro, Patriots Insider, Mar. 24, 2005)
    • "Fascinating read... Gives you a real insight into what goes on in making this franchise what they are. ...I really recommend it." (Ed Berliner, Comcast TV's Sports Pulse, Feb. 28, 2005)
    • "It's a fascinating read, and I'm sure every general manager and owner in the National Football League has rushed out to get it." (Jack Arute, Sirius Satellite Radio's NFL Rewind, May 8, 2005)
    • "Must Read... If the word 'management' in the title scares you or makes you think 'academic,' please take another look... Did you know that Rod Rutledge mocked the Rams seconds before Adam Vinatieri's winning Super Bowl kick (a possible reason for his being cut)? Or that Tom Brady helped comfort Maura Weis, when Charlie's surgery went awry? Or that Coach Belichick once spent a night with DEA agents as they went on a buy-and-bust drug run? There are many interesting stories and quotes to illustrate the points in the book. ...It's informative and full of many chuckles and laughs. ...A great read." (Stan Jaksina, PatsFans.com, May 30,2005)
    • "A stunning compendium on the Patriot Way." (Bob George, PatsFans.com, June 12, 2005)
    • "This book is the Rosetta Stone for anyone who is wondering how the Patriots are actually doing what they are doing--building a dynasty in an era where that was supposed to be impossible--and he explains the hows and whys about as well as could be explained." (Jack Thornton, PatriotsPlanet.net, 16 May 2005)
    • "I developed a 'New England Patriots Model of Leadership, Teamwork, and Success,' based on your first book and presented it to the marching band staff when we started our season. I asked all the students to rate our organization on how close we come to representing the model, and the results were revealing. To make a long story short, the Clemson band is having an excellent season so far and is performing at a high level week after week. I owe a lot of our early success to setting the tone for the season with the Patriots." (Dr. Paul Buyer, Director of Percussion, Clemson University)

I think after you read these, NE's formula is pretty clear and they really haven't strayed from it much.

It's also easy to see why they don't hit a major snag as they manage personnel.

This is why you won't see a Gholston type pick if NE picked in the top 10. 

Sure, Maroney at 22 is BB's worst 1st rd pick, but even Maroney was a starter on a team that went to a SB.

Big disappointment, but not a bust.

NE has never drafted a 1st rd bust since BB started here.

If you avoid the risk positions in Round 1 (QB, WR, RB, OLB) and stick to the lines and DBs, you can usually hit fine.

Traditionally, this is pretty much what NE does (avoids the sexy pick, especially in the top 15).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How do you prevent drafting a Gholston? : Have you read these books? http://www.patriotsbook.com/ Book reviews of Management Secrets Vol. 1 "Lavin makes a strong... case that the Patriots 'are a better organization than they are a team.'" (Richard Sandomir, New York Times , Jan. 22, 2005) "Whether you're a New England fan or not, you'll be fascinated by [this] intriguing new book." (John McClain, Houston Chronicle , Jan. 30, 2005) "Lavin has melded together fascinating quotes, statistics, and revelations that keep the reader entranced throughout the 350-page tome. A wonderful opportunity to [meet] the players, characters, and team... Lavin's remarkable story provides the recipe for championship stew." (Christopher Young, Boston Phoenix , Jan. 31, 2005) "[San Diego Chargers general manager] A.J. Smith just finished re-reading Management Secrets of the New England Patriots, volumes one and two." ( Providence Journal , Jan. 9, 2007) "Fascinating." (Dave Perkins, Toronto Star , Feb. 5, 2005) "An impressive look at what drives the team's success... It doesn't read like some wonkish, academic text." (Greg Gatlin, Boston Herald , Feb. 6, 2005) "Timely, insightful book." (Peter Finney, Times-Picayune [New Orleans], Jan. 28, 2005) "Required Reading... If the Colts, Steelers and any other NFL organization would like to get a jump on the Patriots, they should definitely pick up a copy." (Dan Pires and Steve DeCosta, Standard-Times [New Bedford, MA], Feb. 5, 2005) "A great book. Having read and enjoyed other football-as-a-metaphor-for-life books such as The Packer Way by Ron Wolf, Winning the NFL Way by Bob LaMonte... and Think Like A Champion by Mike Shanahan, I can say that Management Secrets of the New England Patriots is as comprehensive and well-written a book as you can find on this subject. ...It was his intention to merge his studies of high-performance organizations and his obsession with his favorite team. This he has done most admirably." (Doug Farrar, Yahoo! Sports , Dec. 31, 2005) "Intriguing and exhaustingly researched, Management Secrets of the New England Patriots succeeds at going beyond the headlines into the inner workings of the Kraft/Belichick aura. ...Much more than a look at the Patriots business acumen. Liberally infused with recollections from players, staff and opponents, Secrets will score in resounding fashion with fans of the three-time champions." (Ken Castro, Patriots Insider , Mar. 24, 2005) "Fascinating read... Gives you a real insight into what goes on in making this franchise what they are. ...I really recommend it." (Ed Berliner, Comcast TV's Sports Pulse , Feb. 28, 2005) "It's a fascinating read, and I'm sure every general manager and owner in the National Football League has rushed out to get it." (Jack Arute, Sirius Satellite Radio's NFL Rewind , May 8, 2005) "Must Read... If the word 'management' in the title scares you or makes you think 'academic,' please take another look... Did you know that Rod Rutledge mocked the Rams seconds before Adam Vinatieri's winning Super Bowl kick (a possible reason for his being cut)? Or that Tom Brady helped comfort Maura Weis, when Charlie's surgery went awry? Or that Coach Belichick once spent a night with DEA agents as they went on a buy-and-bust drug run? There are many interesting stories and quotes to illustrate the points in the book. ...It's informative and full of many chuckles and laughs. ...A great read." (Stan Jaksina, PatsFans.com , May 30,2005) "A stunning compendium on the Patriot Way." (Bob George, PatsFans.com , June 12, 2005) "This book is the Rosetta Stone for anyone who is wondering how the Patriots are actually doing what they are doing--building a dynasty in an era where that was supposed to be impossible--and he explains the hows and whys about as well as could be explained." (Jack Thornton, PatriotsPlanet.net , 16 May 2005) "I developed a 'New England Patriots Model of Leadership, Teamwork, and Success,' based on your first book and presented it to the marching band staff when we started our season. I asked all the students to rate our organization on how close we come to representing the model, and the results were revealing. To make a long story short, the Clemson band is having an excellent season so far and is performing at a high level week after week. I owe a lot of our early success to setting the tone for the season with the Patriots." (Dr. Paul Buyer, Director of Percussion, Clemson University) I think after you read these, NE's formula is pretty clear and they really haven't strayed from it much. It's also easy to see why they don't hit a major snag as they manage personnel. This is why you won't see a Gholston type pick if NE picked in the top 10.  Sure, Maroney at 22 is BB's worst 1st rd pick, but even Maroney was a starter on a team that went to a SB. Big disappointment, but not a bust. NE has never drafted a 1st rd bust since BB started here.   If you avoid the risk positions in Round 1 (QB, WR, RB, OLB) and stick to the lines and DBs, you can usually hit fine. Traditionally, this is pretty much what NE does (avoids the sexy pick, especially in the top 15).
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

WOW! Thanks. I've never watched the game in-depth but now I really want to so in the past month or so, I read Kirwan's "Take Your Eye Off the Ball" and Jaworski's "The Games that Changed the Game." I've already learned so much by just reading those two.

I'll check this stuff out too. Thanks a lot bro.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Oh wow, are you in for a treat. I am assuming you read Patriot Reign and Education of a Coach?

These two Lavin books go into great depths, much further than any references in those books, in terms of how NE approaches everything within the organization.

Everything from the 3 high end meals they serve on campus in FOxborough (not common at all in other organizations), to how they rate college players to what they use as a barometer for allocating $$ within the payroll, etc.

There are a ton of nuggets/quotes in these volumes as well, mostly from players or even other GMs, players, etc.

Dr. James Lavin had even more access than Holley or Halberstam. These read more like textbooks, but you won't be bored.

You read those and you'll see why NE doesn't fall off the map in this cap era, after losing so many great players, coaches, scouts, etc.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Sounds a lot more like psychology than Xs and Os doesn't it. The draft will always be a partial roll of the dice. You conduct interviews to try to guess how a kid will handle the pressure of pro ball vs college but there will always be some guessing.

This is probably why BB seems to like kids who have good grades in real courses   ( as opposed to the phony cakewalk classes some colleges set up for athletes ) as well as good football stats. He figures if the kid can excel at football and get a high GPA in engineering then he's got to be a dedicated hard worker who can handle pressure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

There is no doubt they weigh intelligence, character, skill set at the top and then go from there.

Sometimes they'll make an exception like a Maroney or Chad Jackson, which were both exampels of them straying from the recipe. But, for the most part, especiall in Round 1, it's character, intelliegence and a guess of how motivated and coachable the player will be.

This is why Mel Kiper is clueless when it comes to predicting the Pats moves or analyzing their draft grade.

I think NE gambled in 2006 because they had their base teams in place for a few more years and had need at RB and WR, so they gambled. Branch was a possible hold out and they had a dire need at WR.

Dillon was on one leg by 2006, etc.

But, 9/10, they'll put those above terms before production in college in some high flying conference or combine results.

Reiss dug up a Pioli quote from 2007 recently that expands on this a bit.

Sections
Shortcuts