How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year?

We've all been going back and forth with fans of the Colts and Jets this off season but the way I'm looking at it we should be focusing our attention on the Ravens.
    We all know what their defense is like, we all (unfortunately) know what their ground game is like and now they pick up a compliment of receivers to balance their offense out.

Do you think they'll keep it on the ground, do you think they'll use the ground game to open up the passing? Do you think they'll pass more now that they have decent receivers to throw to (no offense D Mason)? Will they be balanced 50/50?

How do you see the Pats/Ravens (10/17/10) game playing out?

How do you see the AFC playoff picture playing out? Are the Pats/Ravens going to meet again?

Opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year?

The Ravens should be serious contenders for the superbowl. Flacco is for real and has a very good receiving corps. Their defense is still a very good defense and Ray Rice is a top back that can score at any time (as we all know).

They are a solid team with few holes. I really can't think of any glaring weaknesses on the team now that their WR corps is stacked with Boldin, Stallworth, and Mason.

Edit: By the way, thanks for creating a thread that isn't about underdogg or trading a seventh rounder for Adrian Peterson. It's nice to actually discuss the NFL instead of signing on, looking at 10 troll threads, and immediately signing off...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

How did the Ravens lose to the Bungles twice last year?

Looking here and here the Bengals shut down their running game.

This year the Ravens have an improved passing game. Stop the run and they'll beat you with the pass. They will be tough to beat.

As for the 10/17/10 game, I will always pick the Patriots.

Patriots, Ravens, Colts and Chargers should win their divisions. Wildcard could be Jets, Dolphins, Steelers, Bengals or Texans. Tough call.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The Colts are always a contender with Manning. I just think that Ravens have tied some pieces together. They got the 3rd best TE in the draft(which was a glaring weakness) They got probably the toughest wr going across the middle in the game other then Wes Welker. They have a top 5 runningback(and maybe the best running back after this year is done) coupled with the tough running Mcgahee and beast Mcclain, and the perennial smash mouth defense.

Sooner or later the Colts will suffer from either a Manning injury(which I would not want to happen) or injury's to that o-line that has surely been tops in the league for years. Plus the defense which has quietly been one of the better D's in the league is getting old up front. I'm not saying they won't make the playoffs but Manning seldom has back to back years where he does good in the playoffs. I think this will be one of those years where he is due for a 1st round exit at the hands of say....The Chargers, or The Texans :0)

I just pasted this from the other thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year?:
    The Ravens should be serious contenders for the superbowl. Flacco is for real and has a very good receiving corps. Their defense is still a very good defense and Ray Rice is a top back that can score at any time (as we all know). They are a solid team with few holes. I really can't think of any glaring weaknesses on the team now that their WR corps is stacked with Boldin, Stallworth, and Mason. Edit: By the way, thanks for creating a thread that isn't about underdogg or trading a seventh rounder for Adrian Peterson. It's nice to actually discuss the NFL instead of signing on, looking at 10 troll threads, and immediately signing off...
    Posted by magicalhobo

I would say there corners are the glaring weakness. Unfortunately we couldn't exploit them due to the fact that we sucked in all phases of that game.(Pretty sure the Welker injury devastated the entire team mentally) The corners with a possible breakdown of Ed Reed offers a little room in the secondary. This may be a game where Brady and his new personnel go 5 wide the first 2 drives with a scripted offense. Get an early lead on them to put the pressure on Flacco to make plays with his arm instead of pounding us with a great rb tandem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

They have 2 solid WRs in Boldin, and Mason.  Ray Rice is a top back in this league, and Flacco is incredibly impressive.  The D is highly overrated, their front 7 can be handled, and their secondary is weak. Their team reminds me of a poor mans version of the Pats 07 team on paper.

Probably second or third overall in the AFC and they are knocked out in the first game. I think the Pats secondary edges out their pass options but the overall front 7 scares me because they got destroyed because they made Guyton a vocal point of  attacking and it worked. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Honestly, I think the Ravens may be the best team in the AFC (not counting the Pats).  They were better than people think last year leaders in scoring points and defense.  Ray Lewis is older, and has lost a step but the thing with Lewis is (even if you hate him) he makes the players around him better with his leadership and crazed enthusiasm.  The problem last year and the problem there always is with the Ravens is they are undisciplined and cost themselves games with penalties and stupid plays. 

I'm no fan of Harbaugh because he just playcates to thier excuses, and that is not what a HC should be doing.  They remind me of the Chargers a few years ago.  Completely stocked with talent, but as we know the most talented team doesn't necessarily make the best.  I think they are a 12 win team.

Save this post to make me look stupid if they only win 5 games next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

While I consider Flaaco and their defensive secondary very suspect the Ravens excell in most other areas of the game.  The fight in their division will be against the Bengals but I expect the Ravens to win it.  Barring anything crazy happening the Ravens should make the playoffs no problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They are a pretty good unit, and stacked up against other AFC contenders they look even better. 

I'll rank position based on what team has the best. The team with the best overall position will get a 1 and the team with worst will get a 5. A 1 is worthy of 5 points and a 5 is worthy of a point. I will then calculate the scores to give a team an overall ranking. 

Colts            Chargers        Patriots        Steelers        Ravens
    QB -            1b                  3                1a                 4                  5
    RBs-             5                   3                 4                 2                  1
    WRs-            2                   4                 1                 5                   3
    OL -             3                    2                 4                 5                   1
    DL -             1                    5                 4                 2                   3
    ILB              5                    4                 3                  1                   2
    OLB             5                    2                  4                 1                   3
    CB -            2                    1                  3                  5                   4
    S -              1                    5                  3a                 3b                 2
    Coach-         4                    5                  1                   2                    3

Tally- 

Colts =33 points
    Chargers = 26 points
    Patriots = 32 points
    Steelers = 30 points
    Ravens = 33 points

The Colts and the Ravens look like the better two teams in the conference. Followed by the Pats, then the Steelers, then the Chargers. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

As "thuggish" as their D might seem, it's all on the field. I don't hear Ray Lewis getting arrested or doing anything stupid off the field. But when he's out there, it's all business, and he's got an attitude that matches his [still] high level of play.

I can't argue with that attitude when they clearly back it up with talent. Maybe Spikes will add that type of fire to our D and they can feed off of that.

But the Ravens are on my list to win it all this year. The Pats clearly edge them out, of course ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

They were the sexy pick to represent the afc in the super bowl, but now after losing foxworth and kindle and with reed on the pup list it might be time to reassess that just a couple days into training camp!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]They were the sexy pick to represent the afc in the super bowl, but now after losing foxworth and kindle and with reed on the pup list it might be time to reassess that just a couple days into training camp!
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they have a few issues but I still see them being a lot tougher than they have been the last few years. It'll be a big year for Flacco to prove himself now that they put some recievers around him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Tell you what Sam,
    They haven't changed enough to get past also ran status. They'll get to the playoffs and lose again. They just can't score enough to win when they hit the top flight teams. If their defense was what it was 10 years ago that would be a different story but they're a 10 -11 win team and when they go up against the brass of the AFC in the Playoffs they'll lose.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]Tell you what Sam, They haven't changed enough to get past also ran status. They'll get to the playoffs and lose again. They just can't score enough to win when they hit the top flight teams. If their defense was what it was 10 years ago that would be a different story but they're a 10 -11 win team and when they go up against the brass of the AFC in the Playoffs they'll lose.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right Mr. White

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Unfortunately, the Ravens have lost their last real cornerback to a season-ending injury. 

This is a bad omen for them playing the Patriots, who apparently will be overflowing with excellent receivers.  Brandon Tate is going crazy in camp in Foxboro.  Taylor Price is doing the same but not getting as much press.  Edelman is still in form.  Randy Moss is beating every one of the Patriots' reasonable set of cornerbacks.  Hernandez is pulling them in.  Gronkowski is showing his receiving skills.  Welker is at least running receiving routes with a trainer.  The Patriots will no doubt pick on the Ravens' third cornerback, when the Ravens aren't sure they have a first cornerback. 

My guess is that the Patriots will not run the ball up the middle one single time in the first half of the Ravens game.  A few years ago the Patriots faced the completely dominating run-stopping defense of the Minnesota Vikings, so Brady passed on every single play and scored 28 points or so in the first half. 

The Ravens will be ok on offense.  Joe Flacco is more than reasonable.  However, the Patriots will be a far different team on defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In theory, bringing in two quality wideouts to supplement the running game that dismantled the Pats in the playoffs would appear to give Baltimore the balance it needs on offense. But if the defense is as susceptible to the passing game as some here suggest (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), I don't really see Joe Flacco winning many shootouts against the likes of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning . . .  or Carson Palmer, for that matter.

The Ravens are a good team, but I don't know that I would be fitting them for their championship rings just yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

they may be loaded on paper, but i don't think they will beat out the Patriots

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I would see them continuing to be run heavy, only now he has someone besides Mason.
    I remember starting this thread two weeks ago because I was sick of hearing about how the Jets already won the SB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Still don`t think that Flacco has the receivers he needs to be successful. No Ed Reed or Foxworth in D backfield makes them vulnerable to the passing game. I still think that Lewis and D alone can win them some games. They have a great running game, ideal if don`t have a stellar receiving corps.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

The Ravens don't have Reed and lost Foxworth - the Bengals added T.O.    Balance has swung to Cinci.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I see them stacking up like firewood.  And burned.  Until the owner takes this team BACK from Ray Lewis, and tells their hot head coach to calm down and stop playing emotional football, they will continue to fall short of the prize.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year?:
    [QUOTE]We've all been going back and forth with fans of the Colts and Jets this off season but the way I'm looking at it we should be focusing our attention on the Ravens. We all know what their defense is like, we all (unfortunately) know what their ground game is like and now they pick up a compliment of receivers to balance their offense out. Do you think they'll keep it on the ground, do you think they'll use the ground game to open up the passing? Do you think they'll pass more now that they have decent receivers to throw to (no offense D Mason)? Will they be balanced 50/50? How do you see the Pats/Ravens (10/17/10) game playing out? How do you see the AFC playoff picture playing out? Are the Pats/Ravens going to meet again? Opinions?
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]They just lost Domonique Foxworth starting Corner for the season

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year? : You do realize Ray Lewis is a NFL version of OJ Simpson, correct? He did go to trial for a double murder in Atlanta earlier this past decade. I am glad he was able to pay off the system, but as far as I am concerned he represents all that is wrong with our judicial system. And his antics pre and post game are an embarrassment.  He likes to make it seem like it's all about team, but really it needs to be about Ray.  Funny, Lebron's antics the other night reminds me of this approach.  Sorry, not a fan. It's thuggie.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

You do realize that OJ Simpson was also in the NFL, correct

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Two more consideratons:  First, I think that the Patriots had a huge emotional letdown in the playoffs after losing one of their three star players, Wes Welker, to a freak accident.  These things happen to teams.  Otherwise, the Ravens lost to the Patriots in the regular season and the Ravens lost ugly to the Colts in January.  I have the Ravens at #6 in my power ratings.

Second, I count eight new Patriots that came out of nowhere and in camp, aren't that far from starting on offense or defense, plus two greatly improved Patriots.  On my list:  McCourty, Gronkowski, Cunningham, Spikes, Price, Hernandez, Tate, McKenzie, plus Butler and Chung have improved since rookie year.  One quite good player is gone for the moment, Logan Mankins.  On the balance, this team should earn a better power rating than last year's numbers. 

Baltimore picked up no first rounder.  They started with second rounder Mount Cody who apparently showed up too fat, and second rounder Sergio Kindle who was a known injury risk.  Kindle recently spontaneously blacked out while walking down two flights of stairs and broke his skull, but not his knee again.  I have seen better drafts. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to How do you see the Ravens stacking up this year?:
    [QUOTE]We've all been going back and forth with fans of the Colts and Jets this off season but the way I'm looking at it we should be focusing our attention on the Ravens. We all know what their defense is like, we all (unfortunately) know what their ground game is like and now they pick up a compliment of receivers to balance their offense out. Do you think they'll keep it on the ground, do you think they'll use the ground game to open up the passing? Do you think they'll pass more now that they have decent receivers to throw to (no offense D Mason)? Will they be balanced 50/50? How do you see the Pats/Ravens (10/17/10) game playing out? How do you see the AFC playoff picture playing out? Are the Pats/Ravens going to meet again? Opinions?
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

No doubt their obnoxious fans will be trolling our site for weeks before this year's matchup, bragging about last year's win (despite the fact that their record is now something like 1-8 vs the Pats). 

But, I do see them as our most dangerous competition in the AFC. Finally their performance has caught up to their fans' boasts. 

Hopefully, the Pats will bring their "A" game Oct 17th and we'll see a real, old fashioned bloodbath of a game, in which the good guys get some payback!