How Edelman is better than Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

How Edelman is better than Welker

Wes Welker has been the most under-rated (and under-paid) star in the NFL!  PLUS, not "but," I also now put Julian Edelman in that category.
    As I watched both, I saw something that Edelman brought to the field that Welker usually lacks.  Too too many times, Welker would get caught from behind.  Somehow it has to do with his choice of moves, and his workhorse success of sure catches and always moving forward.  Yes, Welker led the league in YAC, but not in YPC.  (When you lead the league in catches, you "should" lead in YAC.)
    Yet, our almost-clone Edelman has a distinctly different run style.  He is wily, shifty and explosive.  He rarely ever got caught from behind.

Next season, if we can put either or BOTH on the field, what team can stop our short passing game?

What do YOU think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: How Edelman is better than Welker

Edelman isn't better than Welker but of course it would be nice to have them both on the field at the same time.  It would be nice to have MOSS & (Hopefully a guy like Boldin from Ariz) out there too - Then your right, no team can stop our short or long passing game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

In Response to Re: How Edelman is better than Welker:
    Edelman isn't better than Welker but of course it would be nice to have them both on the field at the same time.  It would be nice to have MOSS & (Hopefully a guy like Boldin from Ariz) out there too - Then your right, no team can stop our short or long passing game.
    Posted by NOISE

To me, our long passing game is still far below so many other teams.  TB has the arm, but this past season he seldom had the time in the pocket for the long balls.  A few years ago, he had time to write a postcard to Gisele. 

I would love to see us figure out how to bring back that serious long-Moss threat.  I think Randy still has it in his body.  He just needs it in his mind, and his guts to take a hard hit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I like them both and Welker if he returns anywhere near to where he was pre injury he still holds the edge but I could see Edelman taking over in a year or two for him and the team not missing a beat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree Concord abotu the long passing game.  We could get back to the serious long threat with Moss but IF the pats land someone opposite him! (ex- Boldin) I feel.  I agree with you on Moss - I expect Moss to have a big year this yr! 
    Also, the need those Big Fatties up Front 'Protecting' #12 so he can GET those long balls OFF!  Without that - we got nothing!  "It ALL starts Up Front"

In Response to Re: How Edelman is better than Welker : To me, our long passing game is still far below so many other teams.  TB has the arm, but this past season he seldom had the time in the pocket for the long balls.  A few years ago, he had time to write a postcard to Gisele.  I would love to see us figure out how to bring back that serious long-Moss threat.  I think Randy still has it in his body.  He just needs it in his mind, and his guts to take a hard hit.
    Posted by ConcordWiggin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

The only way Edleman is better than Welker is if Welker blows his knee out.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

How do you explain Welker's 11 YPC on 123 receptions vs. Edelman's 9.7 YPC on 37 receptions?  Also, what big plays did Edelman make that showed he can't be caught from behind?  His season long reception was 29 yards vs. Welker's of 58.

I like both players and both are similar in terms their shiftiness and short area quickness, but I don't see Edelman being a vertical big play threat that can score from anywhere on the field and we know Welker isn't that type of player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

How do you explain Welker's 11 YPC on 123 receptions vs. Edelman's 9.7 YPC on 37 receptions?  Also, what big plays did Edelman make that showed he can't be caught from behind?  His season long reception was 29 yards vs. Welker's of 58. I like both players and both are similar in terms their shiftiness and short area quickness, but I don't see Edelman being a vertical big play threat that can score from anywhere on the field and we know Welker isn't that type of player.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Hey my friend, my point is really not about stats.  From watching them each play last season, I kept seeing Welker make solid catches, but get tackled from behind.  I am a BIG Welker fan.  As I watched Edelman, he bobbed and dodged a lot more, and DID make bigger plays out of what could have been just catch ... hold on ... dive forward.

If I were on another team's defense, I'd be thinking: "We won't stop Welker from the short catch (maybe some mids), but we can catch him (and he WILL dive forward for his extra 1-3 yards).  But who is this Edelman guy!  Let's just hope the Pats don't realize how hard he is to catch after he gets the pass!"

As for touchdowns, neither player really has the role of crossing the goal line.  Play-calling has shown us that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Edelman has some traits that Welker does not, but Welker is a far superior player at this point.  Welker's greatest attribute besides his quickness is his ability to run option routes, changing where he goes based on the defense to almost always get open.  Edelman isn't even close to having that yet.  Also, while Edelman is stronger, Welker is quicker, and his footwork allows him to create more separation.  

It's like saying Jamarcus Russell has a stronger arm than Brady, therefore he is a better quarterback then Brady.  Just doesn't work like that. Welker is a far superior player to Edelman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: How Edelman is better than Welker : Hey my friend, my point is really not about stats.  From watching them each play last season, I kept seeing Welker make solid catches, but get tackled from behind.  I am a BIG Welker fan.  As I watched Edelman, he bobbed and dodged a lot more, and DID make bigger plays out of what could have been just catch ... hold on ... dive forward. If I were on another team's defense, I'd be thinking: "We won't stop Welker from the short catch (maybe some mids), but we can catch him (and he WILL dive forward for his extra 1-3 yards).  But who is this Edelman guy!  Let's just hope the Pats don't realize how hard he is to catch after he gets the pass!" As for touchdowns, neither player really has the role of crossing the goal line.  Play-calling has shown us that. 
    Posted by ConcordWiggin

I too watched every game last year and didn't see Edelman do anything that would make me believe that he's any more of a big play guy than Welker.

Both are quick and shifty slot guys that can make the first man miss and will do their damage on underneath and intermediate routes.  I don't think either player is going to beat teams vertically over the top unless there is a blown coverage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I like how this post successfully posistioned posters to say negative things about a very good and young Patriot player.  There is no need for anyone to use negatives when comparing Wes To Edelman.  A lot of you took the bait.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

It's not negative to say Edelman isn't as good as possibly the best slot receiver in NFL history.  I think everyone on here is excited about Edelman, but saying he is better than Welker at this point is a little ridiculous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

mbeaulieu summed it up perfectly.  Nobody's knocking Edelman but he hasn't shown any more big play ability than Welker.  Not sure what the OP saw to make him say that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Love to have them both on the field and how good is BBs staff to have the cojones to grab a QB convert him to WR and now we are all trying to compare that kid to the best slot WR in the business. 

Just to name the two in the same sentence is an amazing job scouting.  IMO they both are a must, will Edelman ever be better than Wes time will tell is he better now NO and I think Edelman will be the first to say he's got a long ways to go before he should be in the same conversation of greatness as Wes.

If Tate is who we hope he is, in November can't wait to see Moss WW Edelman and Tate line up.  Can't wait it will be fun if WW is 100% at that time.

Sections
Shortcuts