How far ahead do they game plan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

How far ahead do they game plan?

The coaches have to give the players a final game plan on Wednesday, that means the coaches have to finalize the game plan on Tuesday.  There’s no way they only spend Monday and Tuesday working on the game plan, so how much of the prior week do they spend working on the next week’s game plan?

I know they say they do a little work on Saturday for the following week, but I’m guessing they actually spend most of each week planning for the game 2 weeks ahead, when they’re not coaching the players that is.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTPatsFan17. Show CTPatsFan17's posts

Re: How far ahead do they game plan?

BB is already game planning for 2012

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

My guess would be that there is a whole crew of scouts or assistants who the coaches trust that break down tape who work on the game plans a week ahead and probably put together some presentation and plan for the coaches to start with. I would think they pick up some outline of a game plan on Monday and have two days to tweak and change it before the players get back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Shenanigan I don't think 1 week is enough. I think the film scouts and scouting team start 2-3 weeks ahead of time then add in recent games as they come along. That might be why the Pats struggle against teams that change things up over a single week period. They see trends over weeks and plan around them. Then when it doesn't happen they have to play catch up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: How far ahead do they game plan?": [QUOTE]Shenanigan I don't think 1 week is enough. I think the film scouts and scouting team start 2-3 weeks ahead of time then add in recent games as they come along. That might be why the Pats struggle against teams that change things up over a single week period. They see trends over weeks and plan around them. Then when it doesn't happen they have to play catch up. Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] Yeah I'll buy that, like Mighty was saying they don't walk in on Monday and start sifting through 90 hours of game tape from the last couple years. But I don't think the main coaches spend more than a few hours if that on game plans for the next week because I think they are busy focusing on the next game. I could be wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They start a year in advance. They review the tape from the previous season, and go about filling their playbook with upwards of 1000 plays. Those plays are sorted through the offseason during practices. Then they review tape in the first days of the last week's game with roughly the previous four weeks of the opponent and any games that they previously played that season against the opponent. They cull that to about 50-100 plays depending on the team, system, and the number of people in the system with experience. Then they sort the plays, so that, in practice, you only have about 5 possible calls for any down and distance on a given play. 

The "time limit" you are talking about is hardest where it pertains to practice reps ... you can't practie everything... so they cut the playbooks down real short. 

It's already been decided in January and again that week by the head coach, OC/DC and sometimes QB what plays they will be running and when. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: How far ahead do they game plan?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: How far ahead do they game plan?": Yeah I'll buy that, like Mighty was saying they don't walk in on Monday and start sifting through 90 hours of game tape from the last couple years. But I don't think the main coaches spend more than a few hours if that on game plans for the next week because I think they are busy focusing on the next game. I could be wrong.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Well the main coaches I think spend a full day game planning.

Usually how it works is if the Pats win then they get Monday off and I think that's where the main coaches spend a full day preparing.

If they lose or if they weren't happy with the win (ie this last win) then the players come in Monday but not for game perpetration but for fundamental drills and practice. Then they get a lighter day on Tues. My feeling is that on those days the coaches work late, sleep at the facility, and finish game planning Tues morning.

So how I see the research pyramid goes is that the interns and low level scouts break downs years and months of data on all players and coaches once the schedule is released and takes months for every potential opponent. Then it jumps up to the high level scouts and film guys. I'm guessing they start breaking down film and reports to slightly more manageable levels about a month before the game. Then that gets past to assistant coaches with film guys and high scouts adding new stuff in for recent games a week or 2 before the game. Then then that gets broken down to a manageable report and clipped film and an advanced copy gets past to the main coaches I'm guessing the Sat before the previous game to start to go over before Monday, then on Monday they come up with the game plan with poor interns running in with the latest version of the reports including game film and reports of last weeks game every couple hours.

At least that's the way I kind of think about it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

They probably game plan throughout the year and become focused on the team at hand in the week of play.  This would allow them to observe trends and compare to the most recent game tapes as teams can change game to game and bring back something from weeks ago which the team should be aware of.  I know BB and the players say one game at a time and that may be true when it comes to "focus" for that week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

BB gives his scouting department some homework throughout the year.   I'm sure 2 to 3 weeks has already gone into the Denver game plan from the scouts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]They start a year in advance. They review the tape from the previous season, and go about filling their playbook with upwards of 1000 plays. Those plays are sorted through the offseason during practices. Then they review tape in the first days of the last week's game with roughly the previous four weeks of the opponent and any games that they previously played that season against the opponent. They cull that to about 50-100 plays depending on the team, system, and the number of people in the system with experience. Then they sort the plays, so that, in practice, you only have about 5 possible calls for any down and distance on a given play.  The "time limit" you are talking about is hardest where it pertains to practice reps ... you can't practie everything... so they cut the playbooks down real short.  It's already been decided in January and again that week by the head coach, OC/DC and sometimes QB what plays they will be running and when. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I wonder where O'Brien is when all this is going on?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How far ahead do they game plan? : I wonder where O'Brien is when all this is going on?
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Sitting right next to BB as they put the plays in. That's how it works ... so some (most) of your criticism of O'Brien should be placed at Bill's feet. Ultimately, he decides what plays they run all season, and for each week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I don't know z because I'm sure Charlie Weis was sitting in the same chair next to BB and I remember a more dynamic O, Play calling wise, back in Charlies's days.

All that film work to run on every first down is crazy.  Charlie would never get in a predictable pattern that O'Brien seems to get in.  Imagine if Charlie had GRONK, Wes, and Hernandez?  I could see 40 a game.

Maybe I'm wrong for measuring O'Brien against Weis but I don't see it as unfair.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

All's I can say shenanigan is Charlie had different players with different skill sets on Offense not to mention a young and still developing Brady.

Like I said maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the Qrt long brain farts happening on Offense with Charles in Charge (pun intended) with the weapons we have today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

oops, I guess you deleted your post.