How fast is Pats O running?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

How fast is Pats O running?

I did a quick calcualtion and the Pats ran a play every 21 secs on their scoring drives. NO Saints and SF 49ers, ran a play every 28 secs. This means the Pats O is going 25% faster than the "normal" NFL offense. Add in long drives, lots of first downs and the unknown plays comming and the D that plays the Pats must be exhausted.

Does anyone have any other data that suggests that 25% is overstating it? Just wondering.

If the Pats can perfect this, then most D's will be playing catch up all year. Hope they don't figure out how to handle this until next season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: How fast is Pats O running?

the giants figured out how to beat it in the SB, fake injury to slow us down.  It is a cheap tactic and until the league bans players for the series if they get injured teams are going to use it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

the giants figured out how to beat it in the SB, fake injury to slow us down.  It is a cheap tactic and until the league bans players for the series if they get injured teams are going to use it.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but (provided health) the Pats have the players to attack the replacement this time around. If one of your starters has to fake an injury then there are two counters that are extremely effective. The first is no subs. If you have a flexible package on the field then you can go hurry up and run a no sub package. Even if a player fakes injury they have to remain out for at least a play. In order to get them back on the field in time they would have to fake another injury, either way you are weakening your team for the second point. The second point being that the Giants faced the Pats without a healthy Gronk, a legit running game, or an outside threat. If a player go down in any layer of the field the Pats can attack that replacement much like they have done the last 2 weeks. In the Buf game for example I remember one of their DL going down and they immediately ran 3 plays in a row with Ridley right to that replacement and gained almost 20 yards. Then one of the coverage LB's went down and they worked crossing routes in the middle of the field. If you don't have a warmed up starter on the field and replace them with a cold replacement the Pats have the personal to attack, attack, and attack until the other team either compensates or has to fake another injury to replace them, at which point you are just adding another weak point for the Pats to attack.

Provided healthy the no huddle no sub game the Pats run where they are lined up as the ball is being placed means that teams can sub in for the recently injured player without having to fake another injury. Trust me that, if healhty, that tactic won't work out well anymore

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

This could explain why...another fantastic article by Greg Bedard.  He's becoming the man to fill the fifth Kraft son's shoes.  Absolutely outstanding!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The main thing to me is that the Pats O now has a top 5 QB and top 8 RB. Thing is the O still uses Bolden and Woodhead. Ridley has been great and can help give the Pats nice time consuming drives.  Technically the Pats offense can use the no-huddle in the first 3 quarters to get a big lead and revert to TOP offense in the 4th to kill the clock.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Light speed. Though, they did this several times last season, and even once two seasons ago. 

O'Brien came up with it. Review the Jests games for pointers. They isolated the Jests into mismatches several times. 

Teams who have a basic package that can defend the run and pass ... it doesn't work quite as well against them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I did a quick calcualtion and the Pats ran a play every 21 secs on their scoring drives. NO Saints and SF 49ers, ran a play every 28 secs. This means the Pats O is going 25% faster than the "normal" NFL offense. Add in long drives, lots of first downs and the unknown plays comming and the D that plays the Pats must be exhausted.

Does anyone have any other data that suggests that 25% is overstating it? Just wondering.

If the Pats can perfect this, then most D's will be playing catch up all year. Hope they don't figure out how to handle this until next season.

[/QUOTE]

Not to nitpick, but it's actually a more dramatic difference.  21sec vs. 28sec is 33% faster, or you could look at it as the others being 33% slower.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to nitpick, but it's actually a more dramatic difference.  21sec vs. 28sec is 33% faster, or you could look at it as the others being 33% slower.

[/QUOTE]

33% is a huge swing. 

60 plays vs 80 plays. 

People nitpick the difference between 4-5 run plays per game, getting in an extra 33% is huge. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The look like they have plasma engines

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think faking injury is going to slow this train down. It may work 1 or 2 times, but I think the refs catch on and start warning players or doling out penalties. I am sure the refs can see what type of stress this puts on a defense and will be more aware of injury fakers. 

I would like to see the Pats really mess with the tempo in the upcoming weeks. I think sprinkling in on the same series a few warp speed no huddles and then letting the clock wind down, do a quick snap, or something more elongated in terms of a count. Changing tempo in the same series and doing so with the warp speed no huddle, varying snap count, playing with the clock is something I want to see more of. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I love it, O'Brien invented the no huddle now?!  Funny I remember Jim Kelly and the Bills running it in the 90's when Obie was still in highschool?

Won't be long now you'll be submitting Obie for Sainthood...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love it, O'Brien invented the no huddle now?!  Funny I remember Jim Kelly and the Bills running it in the 90's when Obie was still in highschool?

Won't be long now you'll be submitting Obie for Sainthood...

[/QUOTE]

PRICELESS