How Good Are Our Pats??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

How Good Are Our Pats??

Can we all agree that the 2011 Jets suck? If so, just how great a feat was it that the Patriots swept the season series with the now 5-5 Gothams?

In games against the two best teams that the Patriots have seen this season, the Giants and Steelers...the Patriots have lost. Are these Patriots similar to the 2008 Pats, who lost each time they faced a quality team?

Thoughts?    

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: How Good Are Our Pats??

In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats??:
    [QUOTE]Well Tex, only thing I can say is we played one of the worst games I ever seen agianst Pittsburgh, and only lost by 8. Steelers are a good team, but I'm not as nervous about them now. Especially if we get them at home.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you on the Steelers, Bobby. I hope the Patriots get another shot at them...no matter where the game is played. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to How Good Are Our Pats??:
    [QUOTE]     Can we all agree that the 2011 Jets suck? If so, just how great a feat was it that the Patriots swept the season series with the now 5-5 Gothams?      In games against the two best teams that the Patriots have seen this season, the Giants and Steelers...the Patriots have lost. Are these Patriots similar to the 2008 Pats, who lost each time they faced a quality team?      Thoughts?    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

These Pats have beaten some teams while those teams have had winning records.  I make that distinction because of how injuries truly affect the strengths of teams.

Speaking of injuries, I am a little bit encouraged by the Pats being able to win with some many - SO MANY - injuries.  It sucks for the injured, but getting all those other players on the field for extended time will improve the Pats' depth, just as it had in 2004.  If the stars allign and they get most of their best injured players back for the post-season, and can count on a few surprising, rising players, and with their schedule...and with no AFC team standing clearly atop the others, maybe they can actually make it to the Big Show.  It happened to the Pats before and it happened for GB last year.  Of course, beating an NFC these days in the post-season will be harder than beating AFC play-off teams. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Tex,

They beat San Diego early on, they beat the Jets twice and Dallas, they went into the Buffalo game totally underestimating them, they gave the Giants game away and as bobby mentioned despite playing the worst game in two years they didn't lose by much to Pittsburgh.

The D show'd serious life last week but that isn't going to be enough for me to forget the Giants/Pittsburgh games yet.

I'd say the next two weeks are big for this team to try and establish themselves as the leader in the AFC. These two teams coming up are perfect challenge to which they should win decisively to send that message that they're back.

I'm also concerned with the coaching and game planning. When they hit on a good approach they play well and look good. The problem is when they miss on it a little. BB used to be the best coach in football with adjusting to what's happening to them. Now....it seems like they stick to what they went in with despite result. When OB get's in trouble my impression is he tries to throw himself out of it.

Bottom line, stay balanced on O and bring the house on D and maybe you can keep it close with Green Bay!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats?? :      I tend to agree with you on the Steelers, Bobby. I'd hope the Patriots get another shot at them...no matter where the game is played. 

It's tough to say. The Jets are in a tailspin now. But I certainly wouldn't qualify them as a terrible team. They had no Shonne Greene and not TO last night right?

Well, they have a terrible QB. Their defense is good. They can run the ball, and when Sancheez isn't being awful, their WR/TE group has talent. 

The NFL is about parity... it's fun to get our laughs in ... but I (along with others) called this loss. The Jets were riding at a low, and they tend to respond that way ... they are a streaky team. The Jests will probably finish 10-6 or at worst 9-7. They'll be in the hunt.

The Steelers? That loss was anomalous. They basically did something on defense and on offense that they have never done against NE before. It's not something that could be easily duplicated. 

I hope NE gets to play them in the playoffs again ... not for revenge's sake, but because as a bettor ....  I don't think the chances are good that Pitt beats NE twice in two games, at NE or at Pitt, as you say. 

NE has, withut a doubt Tex, faced and beaten one of the toughest schedules among the NFL teams at .529. And they have one of the best strength of victories at .464. These numnbers will probably average out to soething weaker at the end of the seaosn, but they essentially ran a gauntlet in the first half. So I don't really think they cannot beat good teams. 

In their three losses, they essentailly played terrible in one phase or another or both, and still only lost those games by a combined 15 points to three playoff contenders. 

This team has also anhiallated other playoff contenders. 

They simply need to execute their game plan ... and I think they can beat anyone. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The Jets bring out the best in their team when facing the Patriots.  It's like they put all their eggs in one basket when playing the Pats.  Put everything into the Pats and blow their wad in those games, nothing left for the other teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Taking a look at the AFC, every team has a weakness.  I think the Patriots have a strong chance of winning the AFC.  Looking at the NFC, I see three teams that are going to battle to the end.  GB, SF and NO all are talented and are winning.  Only one can make it to the superbowl.  I think that the fight through the playoffs will take it's tole on these three teams.  I am hoping that they will show their weaknesses in the playoffs to allow BB to gameplan for it.  The Giants in 2007 showed that any team that makes it to the Superbowl can win.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

are our r rrrr

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]The Jets bring out the best in their team when facing the Patriots.  It's like they put all their eggs in one basket when playing the Pats.  Put everything into the Pats and blow their wad in those games, nothing left for the other teams.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

There is a big part of truth to that. They are really focused against NE. 

There is also a blowback effect as well. I think they record the game AFTER they play NE is just as mixed as their record against NE. That is to say, far beneath their average against the rest of the field. 

The Jests, like their fat coach, are literally unhealthily obssessed with beating NE ... right down to the way that they go for broke trying to get the corners to compete with Tom. And all the way up to how they trash talk the Pats after losing to the Broncos. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Jets are not terrible they are mediocre probably. Of course 2 weeks ago the Jets were unstoppable and the Pats were terrible so things may very well change again. The Pats are better than the Jets, but who are they worse than in the AFC? I would guess the Pats would be favored in any home game against an AFC opponent including Buf, Pitt, and Bal. The only games they wouldn't be favored in are road games against those three teams and that ain't happening this year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]The Jets are not terrible they are mediocre probably. Of course 2 weeks ago the Jets were unstoppable and the Pats were terrible so things may very well change again. The Pats are better than the Jets, but who are they worse than in the AFC? I would guess the Pats would be favored in any home game against an AFC opponent including Buf, Pitt, and Bal. The only games they wouldn't be favored in are road games against those three teams and that ain't happening this year.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Wow. I hadn't really thought of odds. Good post Shenanigan. I think NE would be favored against any AFC team at home. 

My gut feeling, is that after the Pitt loss, though, that NE would only be favored by one or two. 

Haha, I think that is EASY money. If Ne is playing in Pitt they would be big dogs, and I don't see it that way. 

At any rate, it's interesting to push that idea: who would be favored against NE away from NE in the AFC? Would you give NE points in Bal or Buffalo? How about Pitt again?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]Do you realize that their unhealthy obsession with us traces back to the hiring of Manboobs, darn well knowing that Manboobs wasn't ready? Do you realize this? Then Spygate in 2007, trying to smear us so they can try to leapfrog, sell PSLs, etc? All of it true. They could not take the fact a team from Boston/NE was the premier franchise in the NFL, while they sit in NY, an ugly stepchild to the Giants. We go to a SB in 2007, do lose, part of it tied to Spygate distractions, but what do they do? They hire the loudest mouth individual on the planet who can masquerade as a head coach. Case closed.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I'll go you 1 further than that and say their Obsession Started when BB came to coach here. That was a slap in the face to NY because he was supposed to replace Parcells and the Jets felt like they had been wronged by BB. It seems to me that the hiring of Mangini was related to incident also as they were saying, "Here's payback for stealing our Coach". They acted like it was a huge coup and Mangini turned out to be nothing more than a glorified waterboy. It even took a long time for Parcells to get over that as he continuously leaked little hate rumors to guys like Mike Francessa and the rest of the kissass media that he had in his back pocket about BB being a backstabber.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  two of the three New England losses were turnover-fests featuring the always unpredictable tipped ball.

I agree with those who aren't afraid of Bitchburgh. Given the Pats performance, that game should have been a blowout, and it wasn't. We're going to see about Buffalo when it comes to Foxboro and as for that other New Jersey team . . .   again, if you need four turnovers to beat us by six . . .  well . . .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Of course 2 weeks ago the Jets were unstoppable and the Pats were terrible so things may very well change again.

Shen, this is exactly why I said the next two games are extremely important to the Pats. These are two good teams under-performing and the Pats need to sit them down with little to no problem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Win the division and they are pretty good. Any rating after that comes directly with their playoff run.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]     Can we all agree that the 2011 Jets suck? If so, just how great a feat was it that the Patriots swept the season series with the now 5-5 Gothams?      In games against the two best teams that the Patriots have seen this season, the Giants and Steelers...the Patriots have lost. Are these Patriots similar to the 2008 Pats, who lost each time they faced a quality team?      Thoughts?    

These Pats are good enough to win any game they play this year.
    No more no less

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Your motto must be "Behind every silver lining, there's a dark cloud".  Let them fail or not THIS year, on the merit of THIS year.  They got beat by the Bills because the Bills were playing well and they werent.  The Steelers were ON FIRE and our defense was not doing well.  The Giants were playing well, we weren't.  Not that they were superior.  We just were having issues, and have BEGUN to resolve them.  Nothing more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, They beat San Diego early on, they beat the Jets twice and Dallas, they went into the Buffalo game totally underestimating them, they gave the Giants game away and as bobby mentioned despite playing the worst game in two years they didn't lose by much to Pittsburgh. The D show'd serious life last week but that isn't going to be enough for me to forget the Giants/Pittsburgh games yet. I'd say the next two weeks are big for this team to try and establish themselves as the leader in the AFC. These two teams coming up are perfect challenge to which they should win decisively to send that message that they're back. I'm also concerned with the coaching and game planning. When they hit on a good approach they play well and look good. The problem is when they miss on it a little. BB used to be the best coach in football with adjusting to what's happening to them. Now....it seems like they stick to what they went in with despite result. When OB get's in trouble my impression is he tries to throw himself out of it. Bottom line, stay balanced on O and bring the house on D and maybe you can keep it close with Green Bay!
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

The good news, Sam, is that the better teams are in the NFC. The teams the Pats will likely have to deal with are the Steelers, the erratic Ravens, the Matt Schaub-less Texans, and the Raiders. The Bills, Jets, Chargers, Broncos, and Bengals will likely battle for the final wildcard spot.

Of these teams, the Steelers, Raiders, Texans and Ravens concern me the most. The Patriots don't seem to match up well with the Ravens.

The Raiders are being ridiculed by most for the Carson Palmer trade. But, with him, they're a very dangerous team. He has the talent to get the ball to his speedy young WRs, who can stretch the field. This makes their already very good running game even better. They also have a solid front 7, and a great kicking game.

The Texans, even without Schaub, have a strong running game, and good defense.

I would love to see the Pats gets a re-match with the Steelers.

Let's get to the SB...and worry about GB then. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Pats were to face an unbeaten Packers' team...going for a perfect season??  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats?? :      The good news, Sam, is that the better teams are in the NFC. The teams the Pats will likely have to deal with are the Steelers, the erratic Ravens, the Matt Schaub-less Texans, and the Raiders. The Bills, Jets, Chargers, Broncos, and Bengals will likely battle for the final wildcard spot.        Of these teams, the Steelers, Raiders, Texans and Ravens concern me the most. The Patriots don't seem to match up well with the Ravens.      The Raiders are being ridiculed by most for the Carson Palmer trade. But, with him, they're a very dangerous team. He has the talent to get the ball to his speedy young WRs, who can stretch the field. This makes their already very good running game even better. They also have a solid front 7, and a great kicking game.      The Texans, even without Schaub, have a strong running game, and good defense.      I would love to see the Pats gets a re-match with the Steelers.      Let's get to the SB...and worry about GB then. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Pats were to face an unbeaten Packers' team...going for a perfect season??          

.....and win!

Sections
Shortcuts