How Good Are Our Pats??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: How Good Are Our Pats??

The best

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

1. Top group of teams in AFC are Pats, Pittsburgh, Ravens. If Schaub were healthy they would be in the next tier. Without him I just don't see them going anywhere. Bengals are good. I put them in the next tier. I would have put SD in the first tier before the season started. Now I am not sure whre they belong. Maybe not even good enough to make the playoffs. Sort of like the Jets. They clearly have some talent and can be dangerous (for VERY different reasons) but not only are they flawed they are too inconsistent week to week.

2. Every team (even NFC teams) have some key flaws. So a bad game by a teams O, D or special teams can lose a playoff game. Alternatively a significantly better O or D game plan by one coaching staff over an opponent can win a playoff game.

So really it is anyone's to win with the top three teams having the edge due to talent and being more likely to be a home team.

... I like the Pats out of this group due to record, TB, depth of roster, improving though not dominating play from D - especially pass rush(!!!!!)... plenty of good skill players beside QB that can make a real difference (Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, etc.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think their season hinges on the things that they need to improve on. Are they going to be able to consistently run the ball in key situations (3rd and 3's, 4th and goals from the one, etc.). Can Mark Anderson get more playing time and improve? Is Deadrick and Brace going to add enough to that defensive line? Is Mayo going to get back to 100%? Is Spikes going to come back ready to play or be out of shape like last year? Can Price get on the field and be the deep threat we are lacking? Is Ocho going to "get" it?

If half these things turn out ok, I like our chances to at least get to the Super Bowl with a guy like Brady as our QB. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i actually would be very disappointed if they don't win the sb. not only are they in great position to be in the playoffs, the remaining schedule gives them opportunity to experiment and really address some of the remaining issues they have; learn what they need to succeed in the playoffs even if it means losing a couple of games in the process.

develop a consistenly hard-to-stop run game:
    • give ridley and vereen a lot of touches - handoffs and passes
    • rest bjge for two weeks, then ease him in on limited carries on week 14, then play him full from there.
    • for the next three weeks, give waters some rest and try cannon at rg
    • test the ground game against denver by running a run-centric game (why denver? i think they are the best run d remaining in the sched)
    find the deep threat:
    • throw deep ball once a half
    • 85, slater or price (is price gone for rest of the season?)
    practice being less predictable on o
    • minimize use formations that make obvious if they are running or throwing
    • i don't really care if they pass a lot in the sb if they make it there (just make sure the run game has earned credibility before they get there)
    • every now and then run on critical passing downs; and pass on critical running downs (sometimes being irrational works better because it is not expected)
    better returns
    • i'd really like to see slater/price (if avaiable) try a few returns
    • try just running out to the 15 quickly and start reading there rather than start slow after catch to read the field

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I am a points guy

Thought I would take a different cut at ranking the teams
    Since games are decided by points, which are a combination of
    the Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Here is the ranking by net points

It doesn't take into consideration strength of Schedule.
    It doesn't matter about Yds, TO's but is obviously pretty
    indicative of Wins and Losses 

And of the top teams I would like to see that team's best win and worst loss

With Schaub going down and Baltimor erratic
    i think the king is right

TeamWinsLossTot PFPA DiffRank
    gb909 320186 13414.89
    hou7310 273166 10710.70
    sf819 233138 9510.56
    no7310 313228 858.50
    balt639 225152 738.11
    det639 252184 687.56
    ne639 259200 596.56
    chi639 237187 505.56
    cin639 212164 485.33
    dal549 223182 414.56
    pitt7310 220179 414.10
    phil369 220203 171.89
    atl549 212196 161.78
    ten549 186172 141.56
    buf549 229218 111.22
    jets5510 228217 111.10
    gi639 218211 70.78
    sd459 216228 -12-1.33
    mi279 158178 -20-2.22
    oak549 208233 -25-2.78
    arz369 183213 -30-3.33
    den5510 205247 -42-4.20
    wash369 136178 -42-4.67
    car279 190237 -47-5.22
    jack369 115166 -51-5.67
    clev369 131183 -52-5.78
    sea369 144202 -58-6.44
    min279 179244 -65-7.22
    kc459 141218 -77-8.56
    tb459 156233 -77-8.56
    st279 113223 -110-12.22
    ind01010 131300 -169-16.90

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

The problem with a cupcake schedule in the 2nd half of the season is, you run the risk of entering the playoffs with a false sense of momentum.  Here's hoping the Pats don't allow that to happen...whichever team they get first round is going to be a lot better than any team they will have seen since the 1st half of the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats??:
    [QUOTE]The problem with a cupcake schedule in the 2nd half of the season is, you run the risk of entering the playoffs with a false sense of momentum.  Here's hoping the Pats don't allow that to happen...whichever team they get first round is going to be a lot better than any team they will have seen since the 1st half of the season.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

I worry about that as well soups. NE had the same issue last season, to a degree. Down the stretch they really didn't beat any quality teams, even GB was missing it's starter.

This season the 'stretch; is even deeper ... the only decent team they play until the end is Buffalo. 

I am actually hoping that there is something small on the line in that game. Revenge for a fluky losss?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

yes i agree
    What is our best win - Dallas - at home
    We will probalby end up with the easiest
    played schedule for the season

We won't know what we don't know until the playoffs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We have a good team. The issues going in are the issues that remain. Can the D play well in the closing minutes? In two of our losses they did not. Can the O-line be consistent? So far they may very well not be in a playoff game. Will somebody emerge as a deep threat? Doesn't look like it.

Going in it was unlikely we would lose the division and at least would make the playoffs. We have a shot against anybody we play in the playoffs. The question remains, will the O-line get owned or the D fold in the end, of a given playoff game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]We have a good team. The issues going in are the issues that remain. Can the D play well in the closing minutes? In two of our losses they did not. Can the O-line be consistent? So far they may very well not be in a playoff game. Will somebody emerge as a deep threat? Doesn't look like it. Going in it was unlikely we would lose the division and at least would make the playoffs. We have a shot against anybody we play in the playoffs. The question remains, will the O-line get owned or the D fold in the end, of a given playoff game.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

bingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

they need to fix the secondary too.

below is an example of many things wrong.

it looks like some players are making dumb snap decisions. this was the 3rd and 12 with less than 2 mins left in the 3rd q. s brown is that guy behind the lb on the right. he started at the first down marker, then immediately moved towards the los at the snap. i don't know if that was what he was supposed to do but i can't imagine it was. he started so far away that it was easy for ben to see him coming, exposing a big opening on the right half of the field around the first down line. the ball was passed between hash marks to a receiver running towards brown's original position.

i could not figure out what brown was thinking. it looked like he was thinking pass rush but if he did it was foolish given how far he was + the qb drop. it took ben almost 4 secs to throw this ball and the closest brown could get was about 8 yards from where ben released the ball. maybe he wanted to take away the pass underneath but on ths play, he should ahve seen that his corners had good position on the receivers near the right sideline.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=519e6d9c28&view=att&th=133bcb244ed365ae&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

[QUOTE]i actually would be very disappointed if they don't win the sb. not only are they in great position to be in the playoffs, the remaining schedule gives them opportunity to experiment and really address some of the remaining issues they have; learn what they need to succeed in the playoffs even if it means losing a couple of games in the process. develop a consistenly hard-to-stop run game: give ridley and vereen a lot of touches - handoffs and passes rest bjge for two weeks, then ease him in on limited carries on week 14, then play him full from there. for the next three weeks, give waters some rest and try cannon at rg test the ground game against denver by running a run-centric game (why denver? i think they are the best run d remaining in the sched) find the deep threat: throw deep ball once a half 85, slater or price (is price gone for rest of the season?) practice being less predictable on o minimize use formations that make obvious if they are running or throwing i don't really care if they pass a lot in the sb if they make it there (just make sure the run game has earned credibility before they get there) every now and then run on critical passing downs; and pass on critical running downs (sometimes being irrational works better because it is not expected) better returns i'd really like to see slater/price (if avaiable) try a few returns try just running out to the 15 quickly and start reading there rather than start slow after catch to read the field
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]they need to fix the secondary too. below is an example of many things wrong. it looks like some players are making dumb snap decisions. this was the 3rd and 12 with less than 2 mins left in the 3rd q. s brown is that guy behind the lb on the right. he started at the first down marker, then immediately moved towards the los at the snap. i don't know if that was what he was supposed to do but i can't imagine it was. he started so far away that it was easy for ben to see him coming, exposing a big opening on the right half of the field around the first down line. the ball was passed between hash marks to a receiver running towards brown's original position. i could not figure out what brown was thinking. it looked like he was thinking pass rush but if he did it was foolish given how far he was + the qb drop. it took ben almost 4 secs to throw this ball and the closest brown could get was about 8 yards from where ben released the ball. maybe he wanted to take away the pass underneath but on ths play, he should ahve seen that his corners had good position on the receivers near the right sideline.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Oh man. The safety play on this team has been nothing short of atrocious.

I don't think anything could have helped them much against the Steelers, but safety play really doomed them in the Buffalo and Gints games.

It's one thing to run a bend-but-don't-break defense that sacrifices TOP and field position for big scores, but when the back of that defense breaks at the most inopportune times it becomes terrible. 

Thankfully, Ihedigbo has seemed to settle into a groove. He isn't a great player by any stretch, but he has seriously improved over the horror show that was Barrett and Brown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats?? :
    Posted by agentcooper[/QUOTE]
    oops...Exactly on "working on some things." I'd even be comfortable losing a game or two by working on some of these areas, rather than sticking with the current approach and blowing out these weaker teams. We've got to get better at running and not panic and starting flinging it as soon as get stopped once or twice. Work on getting ocho integrated and comfortable -- maybe price too. see what ridley and maybe even vereen can do. good idea on cannon giving waters a break, maybe even manking. rotating in solder for the tackles. all about the playoffs now...

on defense, to the extent injuries permit, establish who the secondary guys are and give them a chance to work together consistently. the revolving door thing makes it tough to build some consistency. Don't over-work vince and andre carter. See what brace can do. would love to see fletcher, who seemed on the upswing until his thumb amputation or whatever that is. 

Agree with posters who are seeing we are as good as anyone, so now it's all about prepping for the playoffs. 

On the jets, if Sanchez returns to form, which he has shown, they could be dangerous. don't think he's quite as awful as he was last week - seems like his confidence is shot. Denver is no joke - that defense is really good, and the novelty act of an offense could present a challenge to us, and we always seem to struggle out there, too.

what a great season so far. Really like this team!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats?? : ... Denver is no joke - that defense is really good, and the novelty act of an offense could present a challenge to us, and we always seem to struggle out there, too....
    Posted by agentcooper[/QUOTE]

not worried about an upset in denver. the very style of defense that people here are complaining about is probably the best approach for defending against denver. at least we do not have to worry much about tebow exploiting the weakness of the pass d. the way i see it, pats front 7 is much more disciplined than their jets counterpart. the chances of tebow making that same last run against the pats is much lower than an an average nfl qb making a last minute 3rd and long to beat the pats.

to me, phi i the biggest threat remaining in their schedule. vick can run and has demonstrated he can beat you too with a brilliant pass.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Good Are Our Pats?? : Oh man. The safety play on this team has been nothing short of atrocious. I don't think anything could have helped them much against the Steelers, but safety play really doomed them in the Buffalo and Gints games. ...
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

maybe i am wrong, but i believe s play is easier to fix than cb play. i base that on the fact that the s can see the field better, including what the qb is doing. it boils down to communicating to the safeties what they should be looking for and how they need to process and react.

in that example with brown, how can he not realize that there is no way that he would get to ben in time? if he's just not smart enough to realize that, someone has to point out not just where he should have been going in that situation but also why and how he could have recognized what to do as the pay was developing.

seems simple, but a lot of coaches fail on the second part of the statement there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I am still trying to figure out why the greatese\s Defensive mind
    (in his own head) went prevent

It failed when Miama did it
    the jests stopped thim all game long in std D
    When you go MTM vs Zone it opens up
      the running for  the qb
    Tebow cannot pass - he can definitely run

I don't think Dever can score more than 10 pts on
    Offense = we should be okay

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]The Jets are not terrible they are mediocre probably. Of course 2 weeks ago the Jets were unstoppable and the Pats were terrible so things may very well change again. The Pats are better than the Jets, but who are they worse than in the AFC? I would guess the Pats would be favored in any home game against an AFC opponent including Buf, Pitt, and Bal. The only games they wouldn't be favored in are road games against those three teams and that ain't happening this year.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I know peeps are gonna get upset, but thru the first 9 games - I'd say the Patriots are playing somewhere between being an upper 2nd tier team or towards the bottom of being a 1st tier team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

There are no 1st tier teams Bubba.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]There are no 1st tier teams Bubba.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Well, then I guess that still makes the Patriots in the 2nd Tier...lol Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

they have everything a team needs...

they're are only as good as they want to be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts' beat-writer Phil Wilson, of the IndyStar, gives his take on the NFL's top ten teams: http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/11/17/phil-bs-nfl-top-ten-rankings-pack-niners-and/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

It looks like we are playing for seeding
    We could end up playing

Balt/Hou
    Pit

GB

And it looks like we will be discussing who our best
    defenders are and our Offensive scheme/s
    I think the Offensive goal is going to be to get Ocho
    going in our Offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I would have been very happy to take this team to the next super bowl,then came the injuries and it has become difficult to judge just where the Pats are except to say that they were competative in their two recent losses to quality teams,Giants and Steelers(in fact could have won one or both with a play or break or two)and I would still have to see them as one of the top four in the AFC.