How good as GM is BB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: How good as GM is BB?

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB?:
    In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? :you can't have it both ways. You claim the core of the team wasn't his drafts yet you blame him for th 5-11 record.
    Posted by GO47

A team that hadn't had a losing season for the last 3 years is an above average team.

Taking that team and going 5-11 is not doing a good job.

Then along comes one of the greatest QBs in history in the 6th round of all places and now you look like the greatest coach ever.

BB took over a pretty good bunch of players.

There's nothing about that which is having it both ways.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : Rodney stated this year during the Super Bowl that Asante blew the coverage meaning it was his man but he was nowhere to be found. So Rodney did everything he could to make up ground but he was too late to make a good play. Just repeating what he said.
    Posted by GO47

Oh, yeah, Asante was a culprit there too. I thought you were slamming Hot Rod.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : No, what it really means is you just dropped a steamy load in your pants at Shady Acres and your concentration is off due to the rank smell eminating up from below. Call in the orderly.
    Posted by BassFishing

Yeah, right Einstein, I am challenged with the spelling of "called". I'll be sure to point out all your errors from now on and you can point out my typos.

BTW, it's emanating, not eminating dumb dumb.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : LOL!
    Posted by GO47

HAW HAW, looks like you've met your soulmate buffy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : It's not so much the name but your style that rubs most of us the wrong way.
    Posted by GO47

It has been my experience that when idiots are called out as idiots, well, that style rubs idiots the wrong way. It would probably be better all around for them if they just stopped being idiots. In that way, not only would they not be put off by the style, but they would be right as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : HAWH HAWH, looks like you've met your soulmate buffy.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Perhaps so. At least Rusty understands that it's not just the quarterback. It's the combination of BB and TB. BB as a great coach and GM that just happens to have a great QB. What dyansty didn't?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : A team that hadn't had a losing season for the last 3 years is an above average team. Taking that team and going 5-11 is not doing a good job. Then along comes one of the greatest QBs in history in the 6th round of all places and now you look like the greatest coach ever. BB took over a pretty good bunch of players. There's nothing about that which is having it both ways.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Babe Parilli: Your defense of your OP is admirable. You have held your own, basically by yourself with few supporters. I support you on this.

I think it was ZBellino who said on another thread today, that the 'SKILL Positions' have not been re-stocked. ZB, pointed them out as WR, CB, OLB, DE. This surely is true and responsibility 'does run uphill'. Belichick has failed miserably in restocking the skill positions and I will include RB.

The Playmakers of the recent past - prior 2006 - are just not there but shelf life took its toll.

Belichick on the other hand is superb at picking Players that HE HAS ACTUALLY SEEN play in the NFL and is the best at 'added value'. Taking a LQQK at the 11 drafts however makes ya sick.

Yes, W/O TB, BB would have been shown the door long ago, of course IMHO.

There is just too much evidence. You have an OJ Jury here ..live with it!

always good wishes to you and all...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : It has been my experience that when idiots are called out as idiots, well, that style rubs idiots the wrong way. It would probably be better all around for them if they just stopped being idiots. In that way, not only would they not be put off by the style, but they would be right as well.
    Posted by BabeParilli

It's always my style to treat humans beings with respect. You don't know me and I really don't want to get to know someone who knows so little about football and can't understand simple concepts. So you think you're so right. Fine, you win. Have a nice life loser!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So the poll still sits at (60//40) indicating BB is a (great//average-deficient GM).

When you consider the numerous kool-aide guzzling types that bloat the former result rather than offering a purely rational assessment, it is remarkable how much BB's GM stock has gone down in recent years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

So the poll still sits at (60//40) indicating BB is a (great//average-deficient GM). When you consider the numerous kool-aide guzzling types that bloat the former result rather than offering a purely rational assessment, it is remarkable how much BB's GM stock has gone down in recent years.
    Posted by BabeParilli

In my comment above, I purposely did not mention Brady much because he was not part of the question but TB has been Longevitys answer to BB.

Just remember, A TRUE PROPHET, is never accepted in his own home town, that comes from Scripture.......meaning they will accept an outsiders opinion, Media pundit, writer, TV etc. in lieu of a Man who has lived in the system (town, family) all his life. Long story on that but thats the basic meaning.

Good Health, happiness to all...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : In my comment above, I purposely did not mention Brady much because he was not part of the question but TB has been Longevitys answer to BB. Just remember, A TRUE PROPHET, is never accepted in his own home town, that comes from Scripture.......meaning they will accept an outsiders opinion, Media pundit, writer, TV etc. in lieu of a Man who has lived in the system (town, family) all his life. Long story on that but thats the basic meaning. Good Health, happiness to all...
    Posted by palookaski

Yeah, there definitely are some pearls being cast before the swine around this village of too many dysfunctionals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrcahill. Show jrcahill's posts

Babe,

It is probably better to refrain from calling anyone an idiot or a clown.  Do you ever plan to offer your parameters for a great GM and provide a name for us?  FYI- There are plenty of facts to argue BB is a great GM and plenty of ways to say he isn't. If the point of this thread is to come to some kind of conclusion then we need your parameters of what makes a great GM.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though we are ever going to get that because it makes it easier for you to debunk anyone who says BB is a great GM.  I call horses*&t!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe, It is probably better to refrain from calling anyone an idiot or a clown.  Do you ever plan to offer your parameters for a great GM and provide a name for us?  FYI- There are plenty of facts to argue BB is a great GM and plenty of ways to say he isn't. If the point of this thread is to come to some kind of conclusion then we need your parameters of what makes a great GM.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though we are ever going to get that because it makes it easier for you to debunk anyone who says BB is a great GM.  I call horses*&t!
    Posted by jrcahill

People call me names all the time. I don't whine about it.

Obviously the discussion is somewhat subjective. I have offered numerous facts to support my views. Opponents on this issue have offered their facts which I have refuted rather handily as impertinent or inconclusive. I will let it stand at that and accept further challenges as I see fit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrcahill. Show jrcahill's posts

The discussion isn't somewhat subjective, it is subjective until you provide a framework of what makes a great GM.  At the very least, name an individual during the cap era that you consider to be a great GM?  Typing one name can't possibly be too strenuous.  It would be nice if you would accept my challenge but that clearly isn't going to happen as others have requested the same thing.  Your response is a complete cop out.

I don't think anyone is whining about the name calling. I am just wondering why you do it?  Doesn't seem to further your argument. Generally, once someone reverts to calling the other names it usually means they have lost the argument and are frustrated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The discussion isn't somewhat subjective, it is subjective until you provide a framework of what makes a great GM.  At the very least, name an individual during the cap era that you consider to be a great GM?  Typing one name can't possibly be too strenuous.  It would be nice if you would accept my challenge but that clearly isn't going to happen as others have requested the same thing.  Your response is a complete cop out. I don't think anyone is whining about the name calling. I am just wondering why you do it?  Doesn't seem to further your argument. Generally, once someone reverts to calling the other names it usually means they have lost the argument and are frustrated.
    Posted by jrcahill

Okay, well thanks for the input. Very nice of you to offer some suggestions.

If I am telling someone they are an imbecile it isn't to further the argument. It's more akin to caring about my fellow man. You might note that there are some folks here that I never call an imbecile, because they're not. And they certainly disagree with me at some point. But they disagree on things that are not so certain. Others will tell you how great a player is and BB cuts them the next day. No facts dissuade them. It isn't easy to remain complacent in the face of that kind of ignorance at times. I sometimes need to let them know they are an imbecile so upon realizing this, they could attempt change and not be so consistently disregarding their imbecility.

As far as submitting criteria for judging what a great GM would be, that is subjective as well. But I will refer you to the poll and you can get a feel for how folks around here are seeing BB the GM. That was the whole point of this thread.

You want a name. I have offered numerous times the example of those controlling the personnel of teams that have won a SB since 2004. But that doesn't seem to suffice for those with an agenda. They would rather latch on to a few names so they can go into full spin mode delving into the detail so they can undermine the overriding fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrcahill. Show jrcahill's posts

Yes, it is subjective but this is YOUR post. If I understand you correctly, a GM is only great if they win a Super Bowl? Once they don't win a Super Bowl for 5-7 years they are no longer great? From what I can decipher, you believe there are no great GMs because no one has ever had that type of sustained excellence. Is this correct?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : It's not Hogwash. It's facts. You can say if this didn't happen and if that didn't happen but the fact is they started out with a really bad team. It was documented in The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam that when BB and the coaching staff took over they couldn't believe just how bad the team had gotten since they left in 96. I watched all the games and couldn't agree more. It was really painful to watch. You don't have to call me names just because you don't agree with me. Show a little respect for yourself.
    Posted by GO47

They also were saddled with a horrid salary cap situation when BB took over in January 2000, because Bobby Grier had handed out lucrative contract extensions to mediocre players such as Todd Rucci like they were Halloween candy. That makes the quick rebuilding of the team between 2000-2001 all the more remarkable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: How good as GM is BB? : They also were saddled with a horrid salary cap situation when BB took over in January 2000, because Bobby Grier had handed out lucrative contract extensions to mediocre players such as Todd Rucci like they were Halloween candy. That makes the quick rebuilding of the team between 2000-2001 all the more remarkable.
    Posted by hardright

I am in complete agreement.  What BB took over was pretty grim; what he produced so quickly was impressive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Seems to me we as fans are jaded by winning super bowls and the expectation that it would continue. BB is a good GM. One can't be great at that job every year. While he can't be compared to the college coach who gets players for 1-4 years, he does have to deal with a cap challenge as those rookie contracts expire and the player looks for big bucks. I just wish his ability to recognize talent in the draft consisted of more Gronks and Henandez and less of the many failures. But I'm greedy just like all of you out there. Like I said, jaded. After all it's been 7 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

did i miss the part where babe listed his top 5 gms?

i just looked through and i still cant find anything from babe on what a good GM is.

How can we say BB is terrible if there is nothing to compare it too? Babe is ignored til he provides his list of top 10 active gms in the league.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

bump

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

did i miss the part where babe listed his top 5 gms? i just looked through and i still cant find anything from babe on what a good GM is. How can we say BB is terrible if there is nothing to compare it too? Babe is ignored til he provides his list of top 10 active gms in the league.
    Posted by ChasaB

When pressed, his typical response is "any GM that's won a Super Bowl since the 2004 season is better than BB."

Of course, that list includes the just-fired Bill Polian, who put together that sensational 2-14 Colts team last season; and the just-suspended Saints general manager, whose team, by the way, had a WORSE defense than New England's last year and now faces the next two drafts without a #1 or #2 this year and without a #2 next year.

I said it before in another post: one can argue that Green Bay, the Giants and the Steelers do it as well or better than BB and the Patriots due to their successes over the past 7 years, but putting any other team besides those three ahead of the Patriots and Belichick is just not realistic.

At worst, BB is the 4th-best GM in the NFL.

Apparently, unless the Pats have the best GM and the best coach, some people will never be content.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I think the Giants, and Greenbay are the only real contenders at the moment. i have BB as top 3.

teams that have won since the pats won:
    Giantsx2
    Steelerx2
    Gbx1
    Coltsx1
    Saintsx1

The colts are a disaster, they just lots the majority of their team(cuts, Fa, injuries) they have no current QB, one reciever, no TE, nearly no OL a horrendous Defense, and basically have all their hopes and dreams riding on a rookie QB starting from day 1. the colts are 3-5 years from possibly playing for a playoff berth. 

The giants are a solid orginization

The steelers just had some of the largest turnover in their history on defense. we will see where they stand this year.

The saints have an upset QB, their entire coaching staff is suspended for most of the next year, and the gm cant do anything for 8 games. BB would never allow this to happen.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

. . . . . . . . . Apparently, unless the Pats have the best GM and the best coach, some people will never be content.
    Posted by hardright

There are those, homers though they may be, who would assert that the Pats do have the best of each now.

*Thinking of changing my handle to Proud Homer*

Sections
Shortcuts