How good is Hightower?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: How good is Hightower?

Perhaps this has been mentioned already, apologies if so.

1. A healthy Talib would have been put on the TE and covered as he covered Graham. McCourty can drop back at corner at times.

2. Linebackers can't cover forever. They don't have the same skill set.

3. Have you noticed that with Vince and Kelly out and Nink hurting our sacks and QB pressure has dropped off. Then...you run smack into Newtons Law of motion and the force is transfered to your Linbackers getting beaten' because of no pressure up front.

4. The area where the plays are being run is where we were hoping Wilson would still be able to bring the wood...we know he was gassed and that was that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perhaps this has been mentioned already, apologies if so.

1. A healthy Talib would have been put on the TE and covered as he covered Graham. McCourty can drop back at corner at times.

2. Linebackers can't cover forever. They don't have the same skill set.

3. Have you noticed that with Vince and Kelly out and Nink hurting our sacks and QB pressure has dropped off. Then...you run smack into Newtons Law of motion and the force is transfered to your Linbackers getting beaten' because of no pressure up front.

4. The area where the plays are being run is where we were hoping Wilson would still be able to bring the wood...we know he was gassed and that was that.

[/QUOTE]

I dont agree with # 1. Talib covering TEs aint gonna happen weekly. That was an extreme case where we were facing the best TE in the LEAGUE(gronk was out) so you think Talib is gonna Cumberlan??!  No, thats a backers job and he just failed. Nothing dynamic about Cumberland. If we put talib on every TE, you dont think we are gonna spring a leak with outside coverage?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to theshinez's comment:

[QUOTE]

What on God's green earth has Hightower done as of yet to convince ANY of us that he is becoming a "really, really good player"!  That's downright hilarious!! And it's not that we THINK he's going to run and cover like a linebacker, BB is EXPECTING him to!  That's why BB gave him the green dot and put him at MLB. 

[/QUOTE]

So a few weeks ago when we had the number one or two ranked defense in the NFL our players were good, but now with injuries to Vince and Kelly they are suddenly bad?  The concept of "team" sports seems to be lost on you.  

Spikes and Hightower have the same skill set, both play the "ted" position in the 3/4 (Ted Johnson) or the "sam" strong side linebacker in the 4/3, they both excel playing at the line of scrimmage, coming up to meet pulling guards or fullbacks, shedding blockers and making the tackle.  The opposite of that position is the one that Mayo played, more athletic of the two, the "mike" linebacker position that Bruschi made famous known for playing out in space, in coverage, late delayed pass rush plays and timely interceptions.  

Just because Hightower for basically his entire Patriot's career has been asked to play outside his comfort zone because Spikes was sitting there doesn't make him a bad player.  When we had a healthy Vince and Kelly all of our linebackers looked good, when we had Kyle Love at DT none of our linebackers could cover or do anything apparently.  It starts inside.  And I'll tell you what if you thought Spikes looked good as a middle linebacker with a healthy defensive front and Mayo next to him, Hightower will look even better because he has more range, is better in coverage and is bigger.  Hightower has not scratched the surface on how good he can be.

[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like Hightower's "entire career" spanned 10 years, when it only has been a season. Belichick said on the radio Monday that Hightower had to handle all the calls and play a similar roll at Alabama, so what he was doing Sunday wasn't all that foreign to him. It's just he looked so bad doing it - the truth is he hasn't looked too good doing anything since he's been here, and that's the problem. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ugh.  Are you people listening to the same sports radio show or something? Enough with the duplicate anti-BB draft threads.

Jesus H. Christ. We spent 5 years here watching TCal say Mayo sux over and over, mocking him game by game and now it's being transferred over to Mayo's replacement.

Don't take the anti-BB media bait, folks.

[/QUOTE]

How is asking about Hightower the same as being antiBB?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Playing the Mike or signalcaller on D is difficult. Made more difficult without Wilfork drawing double teams (thus allowing Hightower and Spikes to sort through the trash and make plays) or Kelly out. Is Hightower an LB tweener? He looks big enough to be a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE, but has the skills that translate to ILB or MLB. Mayo was a huge loss you can't realsitically expect to DH to play at the same level as Mayo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hear much praise for Hightower, but I rarely see him make an impact.

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

He IS pretty good at stuffing the run and can rush the passer. He cant cover downfield same as the other backers we have. BB has succeeded in drafting 3 tackling machines that cant cover in a passing league. Bet you Rusty wont point THAT out...lol

Fact is Mayo isnt any good at covering either but he does a good job at staying WITH the Wr/TE which usually discourages a throw to his area. When a QB has confidence and still throws it,. weve seen Mayo cant make a play on the ball. He faceguards and tries to get his hands up at last minute but we saw vs Tony G, that technique is rarely effective and gets flagged for P/I. I heard Fletcher could cover and would help but he has been a no show. Our Backers never were good in coverage, but our pass rush back in the day negated it and we always gave up yards in the flat.  We miss mayo cuz he had the speed to stick to them, but he has no ball skills. You would think by now BB would have just drafted a 230 lb undersized backer and call it a day but ahhhh, one must stop the run first....How did that work out last week? Not much ypc, but they sure KEPT the ball and played keep away.

Collins has been lost. Not a good sign for a 2nd round pick. Gregory cant cover TE's. We have a F*ck situtation going on with covering TE's. Its not gonna chance this year, unfortunately. Maybe we can trade Hightower for Chris Clemons...Who it that? Oh,  we will see him next week. See what a real Safety looks like.

[/QUOTE]

Pump the breaks bro,  let's revisit what Collins is next year.  I know BB took him in the second, but that's not his fault.  You can say he's a second round pick and needs to contribute as BB invested a lot in him; however, they got the guy they wanted who may need sometime to learn the game. 

I am sure he is trying to learn the game and find his nitch.  Which the staff is trying to figure out his best role on the team as well. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to wait on Collins/cross my fingers, etc, but isn't it getting a little old saying let's wait till next year? It seems like that is all that happens every year around here...wait till we draft that defensive lineman next year! Next year we'll get those receivers! Next year Tavon Wilson will look good and you'll all look like a bunch of trolls!! Next year Ocho Cinco will learn the play book and everything will look genius! Next year Maroney will finally figure things out. Next year Butler and Merriweather will form one of the deadliest secondaries in football, along with Bodden!! We are saving money right now, because of next year...you'll see!! All good free agents will be on the market next year! The draft is weak this year, so we'll be better off selecting in the first, next year!! Just wait...a guy like Vareen will be catching 80 passes, next year! Amendola will stay healthy, next year!!

Its football...things can change in a instant, there is no reason to wait until next year...not when you have a Tom Brady. That's just dumb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

He IS pretty good at stuffing the run and can rush the passer. He cant cover downfield same as the other backers we have. BB has succeeded in drafting 3 tackling machines that cant cover in a passing league. Bet you Rusty wont point THAT out...lol

Fact is Mayo isnt any good at covering either but he does a good job at staying WITH the Wr/TE which usually discourages a throw to his area. When a QB has confidence and still throws it,. weve seen Mayo cant make a play on the ball. He faceguards and tries to get his hands up at last minute but we saw vs Tony G, that technique is rarely effective and gets flagged for P/I. I heard Fletcher could cover and would help but he has been a no show. Our Backers never were good in coverage, but our pass rush back in the day negated it and we always gave up yards in the flat.  We miss mayo cuz he had the speed to stick to them, but he has no ball skills. You would think by now BB would have just drafted a 230 lb undersized backer and call it a day but ahhhh, one must stop the run first....How did that work out last week? Not much ypc, but they sure KEPT the ball and played keep away.

Collins has been lost. Not a good sign for a 2nd round pick. Gregory cant cover TE's. We have a F*ck situtation going on with covering TE's. Its not gonna chance this year, unfortunately. Maybe we can trade Hightower for Chris Clemons...Who it that? Oh,  we will see him next week. See what a real Safety looks like.

[/QUOTE]

Pump the breaks bro,  let's revisit what Collins is next year.  I know BB took him in the second, but that's not his fault.  You can say he's a second round pick and needs to contribute as BB invested a lot in him; however, they got the guy they wanted who may need sometime to learn the game. 

I am sure he is trying to learn the game and find his nitch.  Which the staff is trying to figure out his best role on the team as well. 

[/QUOTE]

so has he looked lost  or not? Why is it so hard for people to accept facts?  Did I say he was a bad guy or not working hard? I just said he looks lost?  Chill out Getzo. Im bringing some perspective here. I challenge to point out where Im wrong? I dont know about next year. I know he was on the field earlier and less now which is usually a bad sign. I will speak about how he looks next year....next year.

[/QUOTE]

Again, I never said you were wrong... just saying I am not going to go after a rookie pressed into playing a role he has never really played.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You make it sound like Hightower's "entire career" spanned 10 years, when it only has been a season. Belichick said on the radio Monday that Hightower had to handle all the calls and play a similar roll at Alabama, so what he was doing Sunday wasn't all that foreign to him. It's just he looked so bad doing it - the truth is he hasn't looked too good doing anything since he's been here, and that's the problem. 

[/QUOTE]

Hightower led the Patriots in tackles on Sunday.  

The defense didn't look good, that's because Wilfork and Kelly weren't playing and the Jests could run on us at will.  I bet you didn't know Hightower had 11 tackles... you just assumed because Hightower took over and your hatred for everything Belichick led you to believe Hightower was the reason for anything that went wrong on Sunday.  

The Patriots weren't going to win every game, they might lose another game or two before the season's over... try not to slit your wrists in the meantime because you'll completely miss the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so has he looked lost  or not? Why is it so hard for people to accept facts?  Did I say he was a bad guy or not working hard? I just said he looks lost?  Chill out Getzo. Im bringing some perspective here. I challenge to point out where Im wrong? I dont know about next year. I know he was on the field earlier and less now which is usually a bad sign. I will speak about how he looks next year....next year.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed Triple OG.....this is something Wozzy needs to face concerning Hightower.  We need to stop playing the "if and maybe" game and look at the cold hard facts that we can see during the REAL GAMES.  Hightower is playing like trash.  He couldn't hold Mayo's jock strap right now!  Will he get better....I hope so, but lets not give him a yellow jacket yet.  Because he has done literally NOTHING yet, and he has looked terrible while doing that "nothing".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Playing the Mike or signalcaller on D is difficult. Made more difficult without Wilfork drawing double teams (thus allowing Hightower and Spikes to sort through the trash and make plays) or Kelly out. Is Hightower an LB tweener? He looks big enough to be a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE, but has the skills that translate to ILB or MLB. Mayo was a huge loss you can't realsitically expect to DH to play at the same level as Mayo.

[/QUOTE]

Well, when you trade up in the 1st RD for a LB, not only is he gonna be viewed as a guy who can be good enough to play on Mayo's level, but he's eventually gonna be EXPECTED to play on that level....or be added to the list of failed 1st and 2nd RD picks to walk out of those Gillette doors.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The defense didn't look good, that's because Wilfork and Kelly weren't playing and the Jests could run on us at will.  I bet you didn't know Hightower had 11 tackles... you just assumed because Hightower took over and your hatred for everything Belichick led you to believe Hightower was the reason for anything that went wrong on Sunday.  

The Patriots weren't going to win every game, they might lose another game or two before the season's over... try not to slit your wrists in the meantime because you'll completely miss the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

YAAAAAA! So Hightower had 11 tackles.  And almost everyone was 11 or 12 yards down field after the offense got a 1st down.  It doesn't matter if Hightower has 25 tackles if he doesn't stuff any RB or stop a TE before getting a first down.  STATS don't matter when the offense get 140 yards rushing and is 80% on 3rd down! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

YAAAAAA! So Hightower had 11 tackles.  And almost everyone was 11 or 12 yards down field after the offense got a 1st down.  It doesn't matter if Hightower has 25 tackles if he doesn't stuff any RB or stop a TE before getting a first down.  STATS don't matter when the offense get 140 yards rushing and is 80% on 3rd down! 

And why are the opposing offensive players downfield?  Because both of your starting defensive tackles are out with injury and you're starting two undrafted free agents, this is Hightower's fault?  You're new here so I'll give you a pass, but Rusty might say "learn the game."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

You guys are nutz. The Play speaks for itself. Early on against Preseason, we saw Mayo get Burnt by Bush. Same game, when Spikes was put in the same situation, he corralls Reggie for a few yards. Spikes isnt fast so he doesnt over run plays. He just attacks and runs rights thru the ball carrier. Mayo goes for hesitation fakes and gets burned. Also Spikes is Physical and it DOES also translate to the passing game. Spikes Rookie year!, Yes he would run no more than 5 yards down the field and leave his guy wide open. He has improved drastically now and unless his man runs a seam downfield or a long route, Spikes usually jams his guy and gets in positon to make a play.

Same thing happened reg. season this year. Mayo got burnt by a TE. Later in the Game, Spikes was in zone coverage and as the TE came to his area, he played it perfectly and got the pic. I think SPikes actually has more INT's than Mayo so I dont know what you guys are watching. Spikes is still a liability but he is no worse than any one here. None of our backers are ideal coverage guys but Spikes sure does make the most plays of any of them. Thats a Fact.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What on God's green earth has Hightower done as of yet to convince ANY of us that he is becoming a "really, really good player"!  That's downright hilarious!! And it's not that we THINK he's going to run and cover like a linebacker, BB is EXPECTING him to!  That's why BB gave him the green dot and put him at MLB. 

[/QUOTE]

So a few weeks ago when we had the number one or two ranked defense in the NFL our players were good, but now with injuries to Vince and Kelly they are suddenly bad?  The concept of "team" sports seems to be lost on you.  

Spikes and Hightower have the same skill set, both play the "ted" position in the 3/4 (Ted Johnson) or the "sam" strong side linebacker in the 4/3, they both excel playing at the line of scrimmage, coming up to meet pulling guards or fullbacks, shedding blockers and making the tackle.  The opposite of that position is the one that Mayo played, more athletic of the two, the "mike" linebacker position that Bruschi made famous known for playing out in space, in coverage, late delayed pass rush plays and timely interceptions.  

Just because Hightower for basically his entire Patriot's career has been asked to play outside his comfort zone because Spikes was sitting there doesn't make him a bad player.  When we had a healthy Vince and Kelly all of our linebackers looked good, when we had Kyle Love at DT none of our linebackers could cover or do anything apparently.  It starts inside.  And I'll tell you what if you thought Spikes looked good as a middle linebacker with a healthy defensive front and Mayo next to him, Hightower will look even better because he has more range, is better in coverage and is bigger.  Hightower has not scratched the surface on how good he can be.

[/QUOTE]

Really hoping you are right!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

You sure it wasnt C.J.? I seem to recall him making the most plays in the running game. I dont see how Hightower led the team. I could be wrong...

ps. shinez aint new here. He has been away for a long time I guess. I think Hightower is a good player. Let me say that. Problem is he is miscast here. Like Rkarp said, he is a J.Harrison type. He should be hitting people, most preferrably the QB , but he is out there trying to cover. His biggest gaffe IMO was when he let Geno run in for a TD cuz he was worried about if someone was open behind him. He needs to learn to trust his teamates and just do HIS job. Other than, he is fine. Just let him loose at the LOS.

edit: Donte had 12 total tackles and CJ had 11 but less assists. CJ also had 2 sacks and a FF. I dont recall Hightower making any impact tackles. They need to let him play on the line on 3rd downs or rush from his backer spot. If he can get to the QB, he will surely change the game as he hits HARD

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And that had nothing to do with the 5 or 6 guys in front of him....wow, follow baseball will ya it's easier to watch!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Section136's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really hoping you are right!!

[/QUOTE]

If the defensive tackle play in front of our linebackers improves, mainly the return of Kelly, than our linebacker play will miraculously improve.  

Funny, when you can collapse a pocket, reduce the time a QB has to throw and generally make him uncomfortable how much better your pass coverage looks.  

Maybe it's not "linebackers who can't cover" after all but rather linebackers who have to cover all day because the QB has all day to throw.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agreed Triple OG.....this is something Wozzy needs to face concerning Hightower.  We need to stop playing the "if and maybe" game and look at the cold hard facts that we can see during the REAL GAMES.  Hightower is playing like trash.  He couldn't hold Mayo's jock strap right now!  Will he get better....I hope so, but lets not give him a yellow jacket yet.  Because he has done literally NOTHING yet, and he has looked terrible while doing that "nothing".

Triple says everyone sux so I wouldn't throw your lot in with him... Triple says Mayo can't cover either, which only proves like you, he doesn't know the cause and effect of having no defensive tackles on your defense.  Mayo does everything well, he's great in coverage when the people in front of him are doing their job well.

Pass coverage doesn't happen in a vacuum, there are eleven guys on defense, what each does has an effect on the others.  This isn't fantasy football.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All good points!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Triple says everyone sux so I wouldn't throw your lot in with him... Triple says Mayo can't cover either, which only proves like you, he doesn't know the cause and effect of having no defensive tackles on your defense.  Mayo does everything well, he's great in coverage when the people in front of him are doing their job well.

Pass coverage doesn't happen in a vacuum, there are eleven guys on defense, what each does has an effect on the others.  This isn't fantasy football.

[/QUOTE]

Wozz - are you SURE there are 11 guys on D? A lot of guys here seem to think that on any particular play there is one. ANd can all these guys here be wrong????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I say everyone sux! lol I got more credibility here than you. Let me see, what were your preseason predictions about Sudfeld and Collins?? You were called out on your statement and lied and said you didnt despite more than one person noticing. Thats pathetic. I think a lot of players on our team are good. Sorry I dont overate them. I have said all our backers our good but none are great in coverage. Mayo is FAST enough to cover well but doesnt have ball skills. Spikes has more INTs. Mayo sticks to his guy and discourages throws. He is doing his job...but when a QB throws his way, he faceguards and cant make a play on the ball. Its a fact dude. Mayo is a good linebacker. An all around great is Willis and Bowman. Sorry

Sections
Shortcuts