How good is the defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

How good is the defense?

At the end of the season last year, we all heard how the defense was too old. Then after guys like Harrison, Bruschi, Seymour and Vrabel left, we heard that the team didn't have those veteran clutch guys. And we all heard how the defense was the team's Achilles' heal and wasn't that good.

Now after 10 weeks, here is how defense ranks:

(Rankings are per/game)
    Total yards: 6th/NFL; 3rd/AFC.
    Rushing yards: 15th NFL; 8th AFC.
    Passing yards: 6th NFL; 3rd/AFC.

As Parcells said, you are what the records says you are, and the stats for the Pats' defense are pretty good. If the Patriots didn't give up that last score to the Colts, they'd be tied for first in points with the Colts. And remember, the defense was without the starting defensive ends against the Colts and was missing Mayo for a few games. Until the last two drives, I thought the defense played very well against the Colts overall.

In my opinion, the defense is better that many think. It's not yet that elite unit that you trust, but I think it's a unit that's on the upswing. The secondary is getting better. The pass rush seems to be getting better too. 

To be sure, the defensive stats were helped by games against Titans and Bucs for example, but all teams have their fair share of scrubs that they play against. I think the upcoming game against the Saints will tell us more. 

Like I said, I think this is a group that will be much better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning as all the new young players get even more comfortable in the system and get more experience.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: How good is the defense?

I also remember the pats had a 31-14 lead on the colts in the 4th qtr.until the pats can shut down the teams like the colts,and saints.I wouldnt be drooling over the other numbers,for they dont mean anything if they cant get it done against the elite teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Moss effect agree 100% untill the Pats start putting teams away in the 2nd half 
    we will not be an elite team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think what the numbers show is that the defense is on the cusp of being a great one. The question is, can these guys improve enough to go over the top or is there a missing piece.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This question will be answered on Next Monday night. I'm glad to be playing the Aints to show us if the 4th quarter of the Colts game was an aberration or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Putting a team away in the second half has to involve the offense as well - which has been very average in the second half of games this season.  If the offense can't make long drives and take up time while getting points, then it doesn't help the defense.

Overall, i'm pleased with the defense.  It's much better than I anticipated it to be.  I just can't wait to get the D-line fully intact again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: How good is the defense?:
    I also remember the pats had a 31-14 lead on the colts in the 4th qtr.until the pats can shut down the teams like the colts,and saints.I wouldnt be drooling over the other numbers,for they dont mean anything if they cant get it done against the elite teams.
    Posted by mosseffect43

I'd agree w/ Mosseffect, good enuf to beat the usual suspects, but not quite good enuf to beat the elite teams yet. We are improving - and I'm hoping we peak by Playoff time (vs. peaking too early).

We are +8 for takeaway/giveaway - which I think is really important because it means that we are not committing as many turnovers and/or we are taking the ball away from opponents. Our ball hawking skills still need to be kept up.  Our punting game worries me a little (for dealing w/ field position).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm with moss on this one.

Throw those numbers out the window.

The defense shrivelled up like George Costanza in the pool against Indy (not to mention the mighty Denver Broncos) and has generally shown a troubling lack of consistency. Going into games against quality oppostion knowing you have to put up 40 or 50 if you expect to win is not a recipe for success.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

NOt good enough!! when they can hold a lead against a playoff caliber team they might be better than good.  Just posted in another thread  The Defense has cost the Patriots atleast 1 Super Bowl win, 1 Super Bowl apperence and the Division title last year. 

If our Defense goes against a good O-Line the QB has all day and then some to scan the field and shread us.  we make career back ups look like first round picks!  If the Pats get a solid pass rush going our D could be something special but I don't see that happening this year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

In Response to Re: How good is the defense?:
    Moss effect agree 100% untill the Pats start putting teams away in the 2nd half  we will not be an elite team.
    Posted by dwhite1220

Fair enough, but the original Question of this Post is about the defense and Putting a Team Away is also a task for the offense.

Of course a pick six, fumble recovery, sack for loss on defense can put a team away, but you are still crying for the Indy game, but the offense had a lot of chances to put the game away.

I agree with you, the TEAM (offense, defense & special teams) needs to improve putting teams away.

But as far as the original question of the Post i would say we have a good / young defense, enough to be around every game and win most of them.

If next year you add this Defense some pass rush at the line & LB, it could be a "SB Defense"

agree?

Sections
Shortcuts