How Good Is This Pass Rush/Pass D Combo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: How Good Is This Pass Rush/Pass D Combo?

After that game against Denver in the AFCCG...  absolutely stinks right now.  But, if the guys on IR were healthy and in the line-up?  Another what if to ponder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

IMHO the D needs to stay healthy (this means full seasons from Wilfork, Kelly, Talib and even Mayo). What I saw too many times is that QBs had to much time to throw so I think the Pats need upgrades at DT and DE. The pass D is predicated on TOs; when they're not getting TOs they are a very average pass D that gives up too much yardage.This D has also shown that. at times, it can hold teams to FGs and not give up TDs. Against good pass offenses the D needs to stay fresh either by the O taking up time of possession or causing TOs or having a solid rotation(preferably all three) I like what I have seen from Collins in coverage, but I still think this D as far from being a top ten pass D; which is probably what they need to be for successful playoff run. Still a young D and more will be expected from 2nd and 3rd year players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I dont think its even close. C.J. is overated as is Nink. Collins blitzing up the middle seemed to be effective. Without blitzing, this team wont pressure the better QBs.

Most our sacks came from playing Miami twice. When it counted, our lineman were stuck in quicksand. I measure the passrush by what it does when the game is on the line. Not meaningless 2nd quarter sacks on Ryan Tannehill in week 8 or whatever.

I keep saying as long as BB chooses not to rotate his DE's because of lack of good depth., Nink and CJ will continue to be stonewalled in the postseason because of logging too many snaps in regular season.  So who is BB brining in to help? Thats the question. Last year it was Andre Carter. Lets hope BB aims higher this time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We have Dink, the greatest ever. When Mayo comes back we have the two greatest Defenders to ever to play the game.  Combined, these two guys are great at stopping opponent's drives and getting the ball back for our Offense.....19-0 baby.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

After looking at the past season - how good is this pass rush/pass D combo that the Patriots have vs. others.  Some folks clamor on and on about how this is a passing league. Is this pass rush/pass D combo good enough going forward?

Are we talkin' JETS?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

We have Dink, the greatest ever. When Mayo comes back we have the two greatest Defenders to ever to play the game.  Combined, these two guys are great at stopping opponent's drives and getting the ball back for our Offense.....19-0 baby.

lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well we certainly need two defensive tackles that can push the middle, weather that is Kelly and Vince, or two younger guys, that remains to be seen. I like what I saw out of Chris Jones, but we all know he's not an every down type of tackle, but that's fine if you put one next to him...which Vellano was not.

I still think Chandler Jones is the real deal even though he disappeared the last 6 weeks of the year. I think the real key is will Hightower be able to take over for Spikes and actually be an upgrade, because if he can't you can add that to the list of things that are broken on our defense.

Jaime Collins looks like he is going to be an excellent player...excellent. This is one of those draft picks where you don't have to make excuses for the guy...none of the usual stuff like...he may not be able to cover, but what do you expect? Or, what do you want, a guy that plays every down well? Or, you can't expect him to run with tightends and pass rush. This guy can do everything. He is our best linebacker right now and most likely will be our best defensive player overall.

I could care less of they resign Talib...I just want them to sign someone that is good and can stay on the field. Talib can only do one of those things. We need a strong safety - someone who can cover a tightend other than Jaime Collins - and play in the box. How long has it been since we've had a guy who could hit and tackle in the box at safety? McCourty can't do it, I saw him get run clean over a dozen times last year, after one of those times Bill took him right off the field.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:

It's obvious...is sucks...truly sucks.....we just can't seem to get both DB's covering and DL pressuring the QB at the same time since 2004...we need  dt and a good pass rusher out of this draft...somewhere we need to pick up another good safety as well

^^^ This statement proves Mel is not Rusty. Clarence would not say it, like that.

Anyway, agree with this. The key is Vince, if he could lose some weight, comeback and continue to take a double team, then the first draft pick ideally would be the best inside pass rusher available, I mean a guy that really collapses that O'line to get to the QB. Chandler Jones, also then loses his double team and improves his edge rush. Then 2nd rd, pick the best available SS (a dog) who covers that TE while still playing in the box, which also gives the QB something to think about. Right now the Pats are vulnerable at SS.

This would automatically improve the D'Backs.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I think that if they could get a #1 CB either Talib or someone to replace him that was clutch and played every down of big games.... we would be solid in the CB position. Of course this is a big IF.. not sure Talib is answer or not, but he always seems to be out when the big game is on the line.

Agree on SS and someone that intimidates and brings fear back when playing the Pats. Look what it did for Seattle in the superbowl

Also agree on someone solid in the middle up front. We need someone to run stop and pass rush. Maybe Vince is the run stopper at this point in his career and a younger guy is the pass rusher.

We need a D that gets the O off the field on third and long... I always cringe when I see this happen during the game and probably 60% of the time the O converts....Hate this the most watching the games.

Sections
Shortcuts