How Hungry Are The Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

How Hungry Are The Patriots?

Not to beat a dead horse with the Bruins vs. Patriots comparisons, but:

Seems like the Bruins have a "hunger" that is demonstrated by their play/performance. I haven't read anywhere where the Bruins have to publically tell people about their drive.

Sure, some of the Patriot leaders say they're still driven - but on the field, it seems like it's missing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: How Hungry Are The Patriots?

I guess that's a matter of perception.  To be honest, my perception of the 2012 Pats wasn't consistent throughout the season and in the playoffs.  At times I felt that there was a genuine focused drvie to succeed; at others they didn't seem totally focused.  The two games against the Texans for example.  In both the reg season and the playoffs against Houston I felt the team was dialed in.  But when they got to the AFCCG I felt the team was out of sync at times.  Perhaps that's a matter of the competition; perhaps not.

Be interesting to see what they look like this year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Seems like the Bruins have a "hunger" that is demonstrated by their play/performance. I haven't read anywhere where the Bruins have to publically tell people about their drive.

Sure, some of the Patriot leaders say they're still driven - but on the field, it seems like it's missing.

To me it's a sports cliche that is too often thrown around.  The team that wins was the hungry one and that team that loses wasn't.  Pretty hard to prove in most cases imo.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

To me it's a sports cliche that is too often thrown around.  The team that wins was the hungry one and that team that loses wasn't.  Pretty hard to prove in most cases imo.

I disagree.  I've watched Boston sports team lose games and have losing regular season recofds that show a bit of effort and pride in trying to win. The hunger to win is not determined by the actual win or loss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I guess that's a matter of perception.  To be honest, my perception of the 2012 Pats wasn't consistent throughout the season and in the playoffs.  At times I felt that there was a genuine focused drvie to succeed; at others they didn't seem totally focused.  The two games against the Texans for example.  In both the reg season and the playoffs against Houston I felt the team was dialed in.  But when they got to the AFCCG I felt the team was out of sync at times.  Perhaps that's a matter of the competition; perhaps not.

I think you may be right.   Some folks say that fans have become spoiled, feel entitled to the expectation of just winning all the time.  Maybe that is sort of the way it is with the players too. And, I don't mean to pick on Brady, but I think his tantrums on the sideline is because he feels entitled to having refs call things his way - because of his reputation as a "winner".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I think you may be right.   Some folks say that fans have become spoiled, feel entitled to the expectation of just winning all the time.  Maybe that is sort of the way it is with the players too. And, I don't mean to pick on Brady, but I think his tantrums on the sideline is because he feels entitled to having refs call things his way - because of his reputation as a "winner".

I know you said you weren't picking on Brady but I don't think he feels entitled. During and after SB 46 I don't remember him acting as you described. If anything, I think he took that loss personally and as hard as i have ever seen him take a loss, especially when talking about the safety and int.

I could be wrong but I think when he gets fired up it is usually out of frustration and competeiveness. Then again I am a tad bias towards him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Let's see.  It's 8 pm so most of them finished dinner an hour or so ago.  I'd say not all that hungry right now, but they'll probably be feeling a bit peckish in an hour or so. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

waaah, waaah.  Brady and Crosby similar?

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/4137878-74/boston-jetblue-crosby#axzz2VIRZipJD

The Patriots remind me of the Penguins right now....lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I know you said you weren't picking on Brady but I don't think he feels entitled. During and after SB 46 I don't remember him acting as you described. If anything, I think he took that loss personally and as hard as i have ever seen him take a loss, especially when talking about the safety and int.

I could be wrong but I think when he gets fired up it is usually out of frustration and competeiveness. Then again I am a tad bias towards him.

[/QUOTE]

Thing is, early in Brady's career - he simply didn't do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Thing is, early in Brady's career - he simply didn't do that.

[/QUOTE]

Back then other guys provided the vet leadership - not him. He did not have to be vocal. Today, he and VW are the only vet leaders left from the championship years. It's expected of him, rightfully so, to be vocal and expressive.

That said, on the hunger question.... it's difficult to say. 

Also in the case of TB, I am not sure if he plays hard to protect his own legacy, vs. actually winning the championship. Most of the time those two are aligned. There are times when they are not. And I bet even to him, the distinction may not necessarily be clear. An example is when he insists on staying on the field during blowouts, and keep throwing to the receivers anyway.

I hope needing to protect his own legacy is not getting in the way of throwing more to "lesser" receivers during games, which IMO is necessary to get them integrated into the game in rep for playoffs. Sometimes, I just feel there's recently been an impatience for the small failures that are a necessary part for learning and growing. 

Sections
Shortcuts