How is Jake Ballard looking now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

How is Jake Ballard looking now?

There is always a plan.....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: How is Jake Ballard looking now?

Sorry man, but no one knew this was going to happen when they picked up Ballard. Ballard at the time was just too good to turn down. I mean a starting caliber TE on waivers? He'd be a super #3 TE on the Pats and a #1/2 TE on some teams. I doubt BB picked him up because Hern might be arrested for murder at some point

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Like a backup TE who sat on the IR for a year after a single season with more than zero catches.

Could be Bustchise but for all the questions raised about his pickup away from the Giants it could pay off big for the Pats

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Like a backup TE who sat on the IR for a year after a single season with more than zero catches.

Jake Ballard ranked seventh among tight ends in Football Outsiders' DYAR (defense-adjusted yards above replacement) metric in 2011.

DYAR is defined as the value of a player's performance on plays in which he caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level player at the same position. While playing for the Giants in 2011, Ballard caught 38 passes for 604 yards with four touchdowns in 14 games. He proceeded to blow out his knee in the Super Bowl, but that kind of production would be welcome in New England considering the state of their tight end corps. Ballard's health will be a story worth monitoring come training camp. He can't play Aaron Hernandez's move position, but he could be the starting in-line tight end if Rob Gronkowski starts the year on PUP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Looks really good this morning eh?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Sorry man, but no one knew this was going to happen when they picked up Ballard. Ballard at the time was just too good to turn down. I mean a starting caliber TE on waivers? He'd be a super #3 TE on the Pats and a #1/2 TE on some teams. I doubt BB picked him up because Hern might be arrested for murder at some point

Of course no one knew....who could have? But their attention to detail will help the transition without the felon

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Noone knows what his health status is, and he has no experience in the Patriots offensive system, and zero experience with Tom Brady. He may end up being an expensive blocker - and, if he's still injured or recovering - may not be any better than Hooman or Fells or any other JAC TEs we've got on the roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

From everything I've read Ballard is looking like a guy who hasn't played football in two years and is having trouble with his knee...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

From everything I've read Ballard is looking like a guy who hasn't played football in two years and is having trouble with his knee...

Link?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Having a plan, Avenger, is better than nothing at all.  Seems the mantra, "next player up", rings true here!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Belichick reloads quickly, like Billy the kid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It was reported last week on NFL Network that Ballard is very close to being 100% healthy.  Now how that translates into how he looks on the field after being out for so long is a different story.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Link?

This is my initial post from the thread, "TE a Position of Strength in 2013?" At the end of it is a link of an article containing a blurb on Ballard (next to last paragraph of article)...saying that he's still running with a decernable limp":  

Is the perceived Pats' strength at TE a mere mirage?  Rob Gronkowski is coming off five surgeries...Aaron Hernandez is returning after having undergone shoulder surgery, and Jake Ballard apparently has yet to fully recovery from his serious knee injury:  - Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has had four surgeries on his broken arm — he was hurt in November and again in January — and now will undergo back surgery later this month. It’s not realistic he can be ready for the start of camp. Aaron Hernandez, the Pats other indispensable tight end, had offseason shoulder surgery, but is expected to be ready for camp. Former Giants TE Jake Ballard, who tore his ACL in the Super Bowl against New England 16 months ago and then was claimed months later by Bill Belichick as the Giants tried to sneak him through waivers and put him on the PUP list, missed all of last season. He took part on a limited basis in the recent OTAs, but the Patriots web site reports Ballard is running with a “discernible limp.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-best-worst-qb-messes-nfl-article-1.1360664#ixzz2VcbLhOuM

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Ballard Shmallard. This AH thing is not that big of a deal. Brady is surrounded by a mediocre team. If AH ends up on death row because of this that staus of the team has changed little.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Picking up Ballard was a smart move - period.  I saw no downside to it at the time and even if he turns out to be merely an average NFL tight end he's an NFL caliber tight end and he plays for the Pats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Ballard Shmallard. This AH thing is not that big of a deal. Brady is surrounded by a mediocre team. If AH ends up on death row because of this that staus of the team has changed little.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

Don't agree with you at all, Babe, but I'll give you this - you've been consistent with this.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ballard makes us bigger, stronger and better on third downs, funny how people constantly have to be reminded that football is a team sport.     Gronk will be back by midseason latest, Fells will be retained, anything we get from Sudfeld will be gravy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TebowOwnsBrady. Show TebowOwnsBrady's posts

In response to TheMaskedAvenger's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Of course no one knew....who could have? But their attention to detail will help the transition without the felon

[/QUOTE]

Tebow knew. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, he certainly isn't as dynamic as Hernandez, but he is a solid #2 if healthy. Pats will take a hit in most fields, but then again, if Ballard is healthy and the starter (he is the putative #2 in a 2TE base offense) then they DO gain something in blocking. 

They'll have to adjust, because Ballard isn't going to be able to run the psuedo-WR routes AH had been filling out, but they will be able to keep a lot of the traditional 2TE routes intact. 

Here is an interesting piece from Matt Williamson on the topic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/78362/matt-williamson-on-patriots-te-jake-ballard

I'm actually more interested in the other of the walking wounded TE crew, Zach Sudfeld. The way he was used in the pistol (as a downfield WR, sometimes out of the backfield, and with a lot of blocking assignments) is close to what NE does with a lot of its TE assignements, many of which are reassigned FB/H-back routes of yore. He did have six different surguries at Nevada, but he is also a great athlete (unlike Ballard) who starred in a number of other sports like tennis, track, and basketball in high school. 

Ballard is solid fundamentally, and is a ho-hum athlete at 6'5" 255 ...  but Sudfeld's 6'7" with 4.74 speed can't be taught, and he had a great breakout final season in college that might just be a taste of what he can do.

The fact that Reiss and a handful of others notice him sort of drawing attention in camp is promising as well. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Real Good.

One shot one kill! The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.

George S Patton Jr

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Belichick reloads quickly, like Billy the kid.

depending on the purpose, sometimes shooting fast is good, sometimes.....not so much...lolLaughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Well, he certainly isn't as dynamic as Hernandez, but he is a solid #2 if healthy. Pats will take a hit in most fields, but then again, if Ballard is healthy and the starter (he is the putative #2 in a 2TE base offense) then they DO gain something in blocking. 

They'll have to adjust, because Ballard isn't going to be able to run the psuedo-WR routes AH had been filling out, but they will be able to keep a lot of the traditional 2TE routes intact. 

Here is an interesting piece from Matt Williamson on the topic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/78362/matt-williamson-on-patriots-te-jake-ballard

I'm actually more interested in the other of the walking wounded TE crew, Zach Sudfeld. The way he was used in the pistol (as a downfield WR, sometimes out of the backfield, and with a lot of blocking assignments) is close to what NE does with a lot of its TE assignements, many of which are reassigned FB/H-back routes of yore. He did have six different surguries at Nevada, but he is also a great athlete (unlike Ballard) who starred in a number of other sports like tennis, track, and basketball in high school. 

Ballard is solid fundamentally, and is a ho-hum athlete at 6'5" 255 ...  but Sudfeld's 6'7" with 4.74 speed can't be taught, and he had a great breakout final season in college that might just be a taste of what he can do.

The fact that Reiss and a handful of others notice him sort of drawing attention in camp is promising as well. 

I agree to an extent. If Gronk, Ballard and sudfeld can stay healthy and contribute, PLUS, one of Dobson or Boyce step up, I think we will be okay. I just don't see this offense as dynamic without a Dobson or Boyce to take the heat off the middle. That's a lot of ifs, but its possiabove and, it requires a lot of players to get on the same page as Brady at roughly the same time.