How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately

In the first couple weeks of the season, Arrington looked terrible against out patterns. The worst play was probably on Boldin's TD catch when he simply ran past arrington.Is he shaping up into a good corner? Or has he been getting more safety help and that is all. Because I don't recall seeing him get burned much lately.
    It seems all pats fans, myself included, see probowls in devin mccourty's future, but he was the cb burned in the 4th quarter of that steelers game and it looked like rapingburger was targeted mccourty.
    Is there cause to be optimistic about arrington's future?
    My feeling is that he's not much of a corner - he is getting lots of safety help- and he is in the game more because he is a solid tackler- it's hard to tell when you are just watching the television and not the all-22 video or live.
    peyton manning is going to be a real test for this secondary. i would guess that we are not going to see an extra safety in the nickle and dime and maybe butler will reappear

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately

To me, it seems like Arrington has been doing pretty well--he's at least not giving up too many big plays.  I haven't been at a game live since the Ravens game, but I'm going to the Colts game sunday, so I hope to be able to watch the secondary play a bit closer.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Didn't see alot of help.  He manned up.  McCourty did too, most all game.  The corners did fine.  I feel live most of the Steelers points were more or less "garbage time" we were playing soft to eat clock.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Arrington is performing just fine. The guy is a ST stud, plus, doing pretty good at the other corner spot. I think this week will be a good test against an elite QB in Manning. Lets see how he holds down that side. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's a serviceable CB. He'll not be challenging Bodden when Bodden comes back, but he's done a good job so far. 

He's been a C grade player. 
    McCourty has been a B
    Wilhite has been a C+
    Butler has been a D- 
    Sanders has been a C
    Chung has been a B-
    Meriweather is a B

No As in the secondary, infact, the only guy I'd give an A on defense is Wilfork and Mayo with an A-. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately:
    [QUOTE]He's a serviceable CB. He'll not be challenging Bodden when Bodden comes back, but he's done a good job so far.  He's been a C grade player.  McCourty has been a B Wilhite has been a C+ Butler has been a D-   Sanders has been a C Chung has been a B- Meriweather is a B No As in the secondary, infact, the only guy I'd give an A on defense is Wilfork and Mayo with an A-. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Pretty tough grades, wouldn't you say???  Sheesh.  Where did you go to college?

Harvard?

Chung is a B-?

Chung = A-
    McCourty = A-
    Wilhite = B
    Sanders = B
    Merriweather = B
    Arrington = B

Gotta give credit where credit is due.   Wilhite has played an almost impeccable nickel and dime this year.

My take on Arrington is like one for an umpire. You don't notice him and it means he's doing well.

The bottom line with him is he tackles and understands what do in the zone coverages.

Check and check.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree with Russ. Chung deserves an A grade. He has played lights out when on the field, and he adds a very physical style to this defense. His presence on the field allows us to play differently. I think McCourty is in the B, B+ range. He has done very well as a rookie. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Arrington is doing just fine and I think he is going to make Bodden have to work to retain his starter status.  Nothing is guaranteed to any PATS player year to year, Bodden will have to compete.

Arrington made one hell of ST tackle late in the game against the Steelers.  On the slant coming out of nowhere.  Looked great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have Chung a little lower due to missed games. I think Sanders is a step slow and doesn't make enough big plays, regardless of the tipped int this past game.
    I think Arrington can set the corner on the run, and is the best tackler among the CB's, but I still see him getting a lot more S help than McCourty.
    I think where this team has been getting beat is when the LB's are in coverage. I like our LB youth, but they haven't been covering well at all. Of course, as the front pressure increases, the better the pass coverage gets.
    I think that the Pats front 7 can have there way against Indy's OL....and can get to Manning
    Chung = B+
    McCourty = A-
    Wilhite = C+
    Sanders = C+
    Merriweather = B
    Arrington = C+

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You haven't been watching Wilhite in his role if you give him a C+. That's ludicrous.

Sorry, but it is.  This is 2010, not 2009.

Also, Arrington is in no way mediocre. He's played well. That's B material. Give credit where credit is due.

And as for Sanders, he made a big play in the end zone against Minny that obviously and he's done a nice job as the veteran back there.  He's the pair of jeans you like to wear over and over.

Very stable, although not great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

Arrington played very well this past weekend.  The special team play mentioned earlier was a great tackle and he was the only person shown on the screen that could have made a tackle.  Could have been a big play.

The play that really impressed me was during Pitts initial drive.  3rd and 7.  Mike Wallace (maybe the fastest player in the NFL) does a slant over the middle.  Arrington is slightly trailing Wallace.  The pass seems well thrown and slightly leading the receiver.  Arrington cuts in front of the receiver and knocks down the pass.  Great coverage, great instincts, great vision and great timing.  When is the last time you have seen a Pats CB make that kind of a play on a well thrown slant?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Arrington is like Hobbs, except more subtle. No dancing, keeps his side quiet, but susceptible vertically.

Arrington might be slighlty better in run support than Hobbs, too.

But, give him credit. He comes in here last year as a STs Ace, sticks, and then gets promoted, only proving he can play in a 3-4 for him.

It's impressive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Nobody has been an A in the secondary. They've all been susceptible to a big play this season. I'm not grading anyone for playing better than expected, I'm grading them based on how well they've played. 

McCourty has been a B to me. He's played great, but he can and will be better. He's a stud, but an (A) corner is a shutdown corner. While I think that Devin isn't that far off, I still don't think he's a shutdown corner, YET.

Wilhite is a C+. I'm not grading him based on last year because then he'll be a D-. He has been good in his role when it comes to man coverage, but his zone is weak. Whenever the Pats go zone QBs always throw in the Wilhite-Sanders zone. 

I'm severely disappointed in Butler. I had high hopes for him, maybe he'll catch his grove back if we play him in week 17. 

Sanders is a C because his man coverage is weak, his run defense is weak and his zone is the worst. The best game the Pats defense played all year was the game Sanders was out of and Meriweather, Chung and Brown were the only safeties. He's only a C because he's good for a hard hit and he's never burned, just often beaten. 

Chung has is a B- because he's only had 1 game that he's been a Polamalu out there. He's a stud, no doubt, but he's also been picked on in man coverage. He's a great player, tough, physical, but still only a second year player. He's going to be great, but he's still has growing up to do. 

Meriweather is a B only because even though he's playing better than he ever did last year (better tackling, better coverage, better decision making) he was benched for 4 games to the nickel package. He's only had one bad game (Buffalo) and rightfully deserves to be the only A- player in the secondary, but he'll have to earn that grade in the second half. 

Arrington is a C because he's been reliable, but he also has Meriweather hawking over him for a lot of plays. He's been a godsend due to the Bodden injury and the Wheatley and Butler disaster, but he's only been serviceable, not good. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Wow. That's a pretty stiff scale you have there.

You go on the low end of the grades on every one and it's because you are comparing it to the SB Ds in their prime years with years of veteran experience, most likely.

If McCourty is a B holding down the left side as a rookie and at times shutting down All Pro WRs, making it look easy, then when he does look better than this, he'll be A+++++, I suppose.

To me, he's in the A- area because he's mastered the concepts so far.  The "near perfection" exection aspect will be harnessed over time.

He totally shut down this supposed Mike Wallace character who gets like 5 grabs a game for big yardage, until they went prevent in the 4th.

Wilhite has been pretty much as solid as Arrington. I don't expect All Pros all over the field, but a C is a little low when they are actually having an impact.

If they were just holding it down and not making plays, I'd give them a C.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I don't know how big of a challenge this'll be.  Seems to me, the Pats can double Wayne and put McCourtey on Garcon, and that should work fairly well unless Collie or Blair White are back from injury.  Because the #6 WR that was playing the slot often last week (Brandon James) doesn't know much of the playbook and has inconsistent hands.  Tamme might be able to go into the slot a bunch, and the Rookie TE Brody Eldrige might have to start producing in the pass game.  I would say that the Colt O will struggle if it doesn't get Collie or White back...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]Arrington played very well this past weekend.  The special team play mentioned earlier was a great tackle and he was the only person shown on the screen that could have made a tackle.  Could have been a big play. The play that really impressed me was during Pitts initial drive.  3rd and 7.  Mike Wallace (maybe the fastest player in the NFL) does a slant over the middle.  Arrington is slightly trailing Wallace.  The pass seems well thrown and slightly leading the receiver.  Arrington cuts in front of the receiver and knocks down the pass.  Great coverage, great instincts, great vision and great timing.  When is the last time you have seen a Pats CB make that kind of a play on a well thrown slant?
    Posted by jonbam[/QUOTE]

+1 on all of this ^^^^^^

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ok, who just messed with my avatar. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, who just messed with my avatar. 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Did you see that too?  Someone did that to me the other day and I thought I had a virus or something.  Must the mods.  They hate us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Wilfork an A- ?   He's at least an A, probably an A+

He's having the best season of any player on a 7-2 team
    He has not missed a single shift
    Is the best NT in the league this season
    Playing DT when needed
    Is unblockable
    Is a beast against the run

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]He's a serviceable CB. He'll not be challenging Bodden when Bodden comes back, but he's done a good job so far.  He's been a C grade player.  McCourty has been a B Wilhite has been a C+ Butler has been a D-   Sanders has been a C Chung has been a B- Meriweather is a B No As in the secondary, infact, the only guy I'd give an A on defense is Wilfork and Mayo with an A-. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I hope you are not a teacher! :) Tuff grades. Just messing with you a bit. I would Chung and the rookie an A.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

That's a good point, Wilhite has played a lot better this year but hardly anyone is giving him props after we all ragged on him last year.  Good job Wilhite!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

You know how Arrington is doing OK?  When the guys calling the game say nothing about him.  In fact, it looks like teams are going at McCourty as much or more.  Arrington is the real deal on run support too, and he plays on ST as well.   

Overall, I think the secondary has proven that they are much better than they were expected to be.  Last year people were ready to tar and feather Wilhite, and all he's done is solidify the nickel.  People were ready to call Chung a bust.  All he's done is show that he has Milloy and Harrison potential.  Sanders?  Quietly effective.  Meriweather?  Stupid plays at times, but more good ones that a lot of people want to admit.  Butler?  Not looking good right now, but it's entirely possible that he could redeem himself.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

In a year or so - mark my word the Patriots will be considered as possessing the most effective secondary in the NFL.      

In Response to How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately:
    [QUOTE]In the first couple weeks of the season, Arrington looked terrible against out patterns. The worst play was probably on Boldin's TD catch when he simply ran past arrington.Is he shaping up into a good corner? Or has he been getting more safety help and that is all. Because I don't recall seeing him get burned much lately. It seems all pats fans, myself included, see probowls in devin mccourty's future, but he was the cb burned in the 4th quarter of that steelers game and it looked like rapingburger was targeted mccourty. Is there cause to be optimistic about arrington's future? My feeling is that he's not much of a corner - he is getting lots of safety help- and he is in the game more because he is a solid tackler- it's hard to tell when you are just watching the television and not the all-22 video or live. peyton manning is going to be a real test for this secondary. i would guess that we are not going to see an extra safety in the nickle and dime and maybe butler will reappear
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumpshotking13. Show jumpshotking13's posts

Last i knew the pats had one of the WORST pass D's in the league. No one in the secondary is an "A" on a league-wide scale. If you want to stack them against eachother, than mccourty or chung would earn "A" grades by default. McCourty looks young (completely expected) and arrington is hobbs reborn (hobbs was never considered more than serviceable). Theyre starting to get better and play off of eachother, but none are in the top-tier of secondary players across the league. I love the pats just as much as any other NE fan, but come on... The pats are LAST in the league in points allowed per game and 30TH in pass yards/game. AND theyve been generating a decent pass-rush the last few games, so the DL's and LB's are not the main problem here. 

Sections
Shortcuts