How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately

In Response to Re: How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately:
    [QUOTE]Wilfork an A- ?   He's at least an A, probably an A+ He's having the best season of any player on a 7-2 team He has not missed a single shift Is the best NT in the league this season Playing DT when needed Is unblockable Is a beast against the run
    Posted by jimijazz[/QUOTE]

Everyone's grade in the front seven took a hit because of the game against the Browns. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Listen I agree out of all the "Baby Backs" Chung is a A.  He is playing very well and can tackle and hit.  McCourty is playing well at corner for a rookie and Brandon is Brandon.  Kyle, the jury is still out.  Cheers!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Is Kyle Arrington Doing Lately : Everyone's grade in the front seven took a hit because of the game against the Browns. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I think your being a little harsh.. You have Chung at B-. Thats almost a C you know. Now I know you saw the Browns game, um Chung didn't play in that game which to me shows how physical he is and what kind of tone he sets while playing. What kind of growing up does he have to do? His coverage is OK for a strong safety, his a great tackler, hes aggressive, he hits, he covers ground, hes GREAT on ST. But just because hes a second year player hes going to get a B-. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Better then Butler.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

You are right. The Pats D does rank statistically low in almost every category, but we keep winning game. I think some of those stats came at the end of games, when you could visibly see the Pats D playing prevent and/or taking their foot off the gas. Anyhow, the stats are what they are. This D is playing well overall I think, and somehow that gets lost in the numbers.  

Shaliza brought up an interesting point on Butler...not sure if it was discussed here. She said Butler's strength is in man coverage, not zone. The Pats play more zone than man, reason why Butler is not playing. I don't get it...if this is indeed true, then why draft him in the first place? I would think if the guy is athletic enough to be good in man coverage, that he can be taught to play zone fairly quickly...Am I wrong? Man to zone I think works, but not necessarily zone to man...Anyhow, would like to hear what you guys think on this one...

BTW...Russ, please don't compare Arrington to Hobbs...For that matter, please don't mention "15 yard cushion Hobbs" on this board any more. That guy made me sick the way he played corner...I think Arrington is better, plays the pass and run better than him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Some Pats fans or trolls who point to a stat sheet don't get it. In 2001, you never would have said NE's D was great or their secondary was great, but it was when it needed to be.

Saints were similar last year.

Gawking at a stat sheet only tells one so much.

This isn't the 2004 Pats D that had generally been together for 2-3 years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

That's precisely my point Russ. Stats don't tell the whole story. Stats would lead us to believe the Pats D was terrible, but if you watch games, you can clearly tell that they play better than their stats, and have done so in key situations this year. 

Have to disagree with the 2001 team. The 2001 team had a nice mix of seasoned vets to go along with the younger talent and a great LB corps. Bruschi, McGinest, Johnson, Vrabel, Cox, Phifer, etc. as LB's...Milloy, Jones, Law,etc. in the secondary....Seymour, Hamilton, etc. on the line...Hardly a group of no names..perhaps not as prominent in naming as they were after 2001, but a good solid group. I only wish we had the 2001 LB corps on this team...that was a stacked group.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It was an experienced group. Keep that in mind.  That's really why this is BB's youngest D of his career and why people don't want to be patient. He tradtionally prefers experience over youth, as his base personnel.

Prior to BB arriving, the Pete Carroll years were spotty the last two seasons, even though Ty Law and maybe McGinest had it going to that point. Maybe Milloy.

But, in 2000, they were still shoddy on D.  prior to BB arriving, even Bruschi and Milloy were good players, but certainly not game changers.   They were good.

It wasn't until BB brought in Fairbanks 3-4 system where they finally found their niche.

Tebucky Jones wasn't a known commodity and Otis Smith was brought back from the Jets, opposite Law.  So, they had some question marks.

Phifer was new, too. He knew the system, but he was still new and no one knew what he'd do here.

Terrell Buckley in nickel was always a wild card.

The entire D Line was essentially aging Browns players from the mid 90s, also brought over from the Jets.

They had players, but it was definitley a mish-mash of quality levels.

I think the fact they knew what to do in the BB schemes is why they got away with it and played above their heads.

But, we saw in 2002, when they brought in younger players to try to stem the tide of the older ones, they lost a step again. 

It takes a special balance, and here in 2010, we see more younger players with scattered quality vets, where it was the reverse in 2001, if not better.

They are physical, more athletic and faster, they just lack the experience. But, they are gaining that right now.

My point is, if this continues to clique at this rate, they'll be equally as potent as that 2001 D when they go into the playoffs.

It's just that the base units on D are younger with only guys like Wilfork, Gerard Warren, Mike Wright, James Sanders, maybe a Mayo and Merriweather as vets.

Even Mayo and Merriweather are on the young side and are "young" players here, still trying to ascen,d though.

I just think you toss the stats out the window in this season because he is building the D on the fly here.

This isn't Pittsburgh where or Balt where the D has been set, pretty much now, for years.

We see warts here, but they are disappearing week by week, which is quite scary considering this team still gets everyone's A game every week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

What say you?  I want to see some more of Darius Butler!  He looked good last year and had some INT's.  I agree, he seemed to lose confidence and regress this year - but all-American at UConn, BB was at UConn workout to personnally see this kid, and most of the NFL scouts/combine/ESPN folks had him a sure value 1-2 round choice.  Let's let him on the field again - start against the Lions I say - how about y'all?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

i would love to see a high 2nd round pick contribute in a meaningful way, but the fact is Arrington is playing better than Butler now. So, got to go with Arrington at the position. Against the Colts however, we may need Butler on occasion. I'm all about giving him 2nd and 3rd chances. Perhaps against the Colts D is the time to insert him in nickle/dime a bit more. 

Sections
Shortcuts