How is the Defense going to deal with Denver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

How is the Defense going to deal with Denver

I loved this wekks team win and the balance on offense, but I really think the elephant in the roon is how is this team going to get to PM and defend the middle of the field.

Like him or hate him, PM is a great QB and he has alway done well picking apart weakenesses in the secondary.  I think the weakest area of the D play is at the safety position. 

How do you guys think BB is going to address this? Any chance a few of the injured D player are coming back this week.  Does the D get more agressive with stuns. blitzes, and QB spys?

I think from a pure defending the pass point of view this will be the Pats biggest test.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: How is the Defense going to deal with Denver

A lot of ball control.

Manning hasn't been himself (a little lose in accuracy compaired to the past) and his receivers aren't nearly as good as when he was on the Colts. So, you dominant the ToP and force Manning to beat you with crisp clean passes in which he'll need every series in order to win the game. Force the issue and let his guys makes the plays and capitalize when the pressure starts to pile up on him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Granted all the small sample size caveats apply, but Manning did not play well in his one road game this year.  The fact that the game is in Foxborough is definitely a plus.  Also while Manning might be better than Flacco, I think the Ravens offense presented more of a challenge from a personnel perspective.  There is no Ray Rice on the Broncos and Torrey Smith is more of a matchup problem than Thomas or Decker imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I am not expecting this D to shut down Manning. But if they can up the pass rush as they started to do v Bills it will make a world of difference.

One key element will be continuing to use the running game as a means of domination unless the opponent overcompensates and gives Brady a reason to throw. That would be a D mistake.

This will be another test. At 2-2 it is one the Pats need to pass and not fail.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if manning gives them a chance to intercept a pass, they have to catch it....we all saw the difference the dropped int's made in the baltimore game.....hopefully mccourty brings his hands with him next sunday.....same with all the db's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am assuming this thread is sarcasm.   Manning doesn't look that good to me. This D is very good at containing and stopping the other team's run game. Do that, pick him a couple times, and there is your ballgame.

Denver still hasn't addressed their pass coverage either.   Bad coverage LBs and Safeties. Not a good situation for them to be in with the Pats looking to put up a better showing for the home fans than they did in the Arizona game.

[/QUOTE]

There was no sarcasm in this post.  I know the Raiders aren't the greatest D but PM did not make any mistakes and he was pinpoint accurate.  He seems to be on an up swing.

I really think if we just try to attack with a four man front as the game go on, near the mid to end of the game when the ends are tiring and not getting there he is going to pick apart the zones between the linebackers and safeties.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if manning gives them a chance to intercept a pass, they have to catch it....we all saw the difference the dropped int's made in the baltimore game.....hopefully mccourty brings his hands with him next sunday.....same with all the db's.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A lot of ball control.

Manning hasn't been himself (a little lose in accuracy compaired to the past) and his receivers aren't nearly as good as when he was on the Colts. So, you dominant the ToP and force Manning to beat you with crisp clean passes in which he'll need every series in order to win the game. Force the issue and let his guys makes the plays and capitalize when the pressure starts to pile up on him

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but TOP has no bearing on a team's ability to gash the middle of the Pats' defense via the air. Look at what Flacco and Fitzgerald did.... Flacco wasn't sacked, yet had 300+ and 3 TD's. Fitzgerald played for his life and still had more yards than Brady and 4 TD's. Manning had a Manning-esque game yesterday: 30/38, 330+ yds, 3 TD's. Remember, this is against a team that beat the Steelers the week before. And no one's saying that Gentle Ben is a stiff.

My hope is that BB comes up with a few wrinkles to confuse Manning, as he's done in teh oast. But, thise teams had better DB's. While Manning will be going up against a Pats hemmoraging yards over the middle (he can still smell blood), the Pats will be facing a decent, better than avg Bronco defense (MUCH better than the Bills' imitation of the Pats' 2011 defense, as wexhibited yesterday).

I just hope we're not going to see a repeat of prior Pats seasons, where they beat up on non-playoff caliber teams and gak up losses to playoff ones. Doesn't bode well for the post season. Plus, they need to plug that huge hole in teh DB's.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Never mind Manning, how about the ability for Pats' receivers to hold onto the darn ball inside their own Red Zone? Two fumbles deep in their own end is NOT a good thing. Overcoming hqanding out 14 points against an inferior team is a hard enough task to do. They'd be inviting disaster if tehy do this vs the Broncos.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A lot of ball control.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but TOP has no bearing on a team's ability to gash the middle of the Pats' defense via the air. Look at what Flacco and Fitzgerald did.... Flacco wasn't sacked, yet had 300+ and 3 TD's. Fitzgerald played for his life and still had more yards than Brady and 4 TD's. Manning had a Manning-esque game yesterday: 30/38, 330+ yds, 3 TD's. Remember, this is against a team that beat the Steelers the week before. And no one's saying that Gentle Ben is a stiff.

My hope is that BB comes up with a few wrinkles to confuse Manning, as he's done in teh oast. But, thise teams had better DB's. While Manning will be going up against a Pats hemmoraging yards over the middle (he can still smell blood), the Pats will be facing a decent, better than avg Bronco defense (MUCH better than the Bills' imitation of the Pats' 2011 defense, as wexhibited yesterday).

I just hope we're not going to see a repeat of prior Pats seasons, where they beat up on non-playoff caliber teams and gak up losses to playoff ones. Doesn't bode well for the post season. Plus, they need to plug that huge hole in teh DB's.

[/QUOTE]

Watch out rusty is about to swing in and call you a troll pink hat instead of actually talking about this.  

I think DMC played very well and the other corners stay close but the safeties seem to be late to the ball often.

Is it the type of zone the Pats are running?  It not like they are biting on play action when these mistakes happen.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

if the Pats D lets him sit back all day in pocket we lose.........better make sure they get him moving, that's when Peyton makes mistakes...when he has to move and there is traffic in front of him. We saw that in his last SB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if the Pats D lets him sit back all day in pocket we lose.........better make sure they get him moving, that's when Peyton makes mistakes...when he has to move and there is traffic in front of him. We saw that in his last SB

[/QUOTE]

Do you think the Base D can do this early?  I love Jones motor but I wish we had someone else who could also get consitant push collasping the other side of the pocket.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

BB will have another solid game plan for manning. Now he has some of the players he needs to excute it. Manning isn't what he was a few years ago, still very good but the Patriots will be ready for him.

On a side note , has anyone heard anything about Hightowers condition starting going to get better every game, we are better with him on the field. Thanks

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I am assuming this thread is sarcasm.   Manning doesn't look that good to me. This D is very good at containing and stopping the other team's run game. Do that, pick him a couple times, and there is your ballgame.

Denver still hasn't addressed their pass coverage either.   Bad coverage LBs and Safeties. Not a good situation for them to be in with the Pats looking to put up a better showing for the home fans than they did in the Arizona game.

[/QUOTE]

There was no sarcasm in this post.  I know the Raiders aren't the greatest D but PM did not make any mistakes and he was pinpoint accurate.  He seems to be on an up swing.

I really think if we just try to attack with a four man front as the game go on, near the mid to end of the game when the ends are tiring and not getting there he is going to pick apart the zones between the linebackers and safeties.

[/QUOTE]

Well, they were at home in Denver, correct?  Traditionally, the Denver QB has always enjoyed homefield at that place. Go back and look at Elway's home and road record, or really any of their QBs.

I am not saying Manning is done or anything or the Pats are guaranteed to win, just that I'd be VERY concerned if I was he and the Broncos, not the other way around. I am surprised you how I was feeling reversed.  In fact, I can see Denver dropping 3 in a row @ NE, @ SD and home to the Saints. They had to have that game yesterday.

Oh well.   

[/QUOTE]

Maybe home field helped a lot for denver but tradtionally PM has always made the Defense have to play well against him.

I just think if there is one QB we face that will really stress the secondary it him.  Maybe I'm wrong. But it seem like where  Fitz was the most sucessfull at times was spliting the safeties.  If that remains a weakness PM if going to do the same thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB will have another solid game plan for manning. Now he has some of the players he needs to excute it. Manning isn't what he was a few years ago, still very good but the Patriots will be ready for him.

On a side note , has anyone heard anything about Hightowers condition starting going to get better every game, we are better with him on the field. Thanks

[/QUOTE]

Well on the radieo they where saying it was just spasming not pull but who knows.  Hopefully the trainers can get it fixed

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

Never mind Manning, how about the ability for Pats' receivers to hold onto the darn ball inside their own Red Zone? Two fumbles deep in their own end is NOT a good thing. Overcoming hqanding out 14 points against an inferior team is a hard enough task to do. They'd be inviting disaster if tehy do this vs the Broncos.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think of both Welker and the Gronk fumbling in the same game, and having Ghost missed two field goals, an abherration.  You essentially are expecting the same thing to happen next Sunday.  I seriously doubt it will.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

Did you watch the last 2 games, AZPat?  As long as the refs allow that kind of holding, NO TEAMS are going to get sacks.

It's disturbing what Goodell is doing, IMO.

Buffalo has millions on Mario and Mark Anderson and what did they do?  Basically nothing for 4 qtrs. Dareus broke through on Wendell once and that was pretty much it.

I'd say the pressures are important, not just sacks.  How can you complain about, what, 6 tunovers yesterday, some of the very timely variety. 

[/QUOTE

Oh, stop it!! Holding is a judgement call. Refs can call holding on every NFL and college play, if they want to get ticky-tack on the point. Would that satisfy you? You'd sure get all the holding calls you could stand and 0-0 games. Or, do you have a one way bias against any Pats penalty, particularly holding? There is a consistency with making these calls league wide, NIT just witht eh Pats. Always has been, always will be. So fughedaboudit! Get over your conspiracy theory bunk!

As far as Mario goes, no one in Hiustoin was sad to see him go.... one good season, several partials, and not worth the money he sought out. Buffalo was dumb enuf to pay him. He's playing just like a lot of other "pros" do.... he got his, and it shows. That defense was pretty bad before he got there, and he's got no "added value" to it. So, Mario isn't and can't figure to be a factor till he gets himself motivated to show he's worth the money,a nd not just anoter dfree agent splash that belly flopped.

Maybe I missed something, but turnovers don't equate to being gashed over the middle, again. Where I come from, and the sport I grew up with, a turnover meant you took possession of the football away from your opponent. Aside from the INT's, Fitzgerald handled the Pats DB's. They couldn't stop my deceased Grandma in a wheelchair moving up hill with a flat tire (again).  

Will you go on record right here, right now, to say that if Manning lights them up and somehow pulls out a win, againt the same Pats defense we saw yesterday (multiple turnovers) that you won't be concerned? Remember, Manning threw 3 INT's in the first Qtr and STILL won a game earlier this year.

Sorry, I see Manning drooling at the prospects for Sunday....... This defense is too soft in the middle. I still haven't seen anything to fear from it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A lot of ball control.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

AZ - I hear what you are saying but we didn't dominate ToP with either the Ravens or Ari. There was a ~2min difference in both the Ari and Bal which is essential 1-1.5 extra mins for Bal's and Ari's O (take 1 min from Pats give it to Bal they are the same). They both had just as much time as the Pats to run plays (minus 3 plays) which is something you can't give to Manning. You need a clear 8 min difference in ToP which is equal to about a series. If the Pats can have a 34min ToP to Den 26min ToP then it puts extra pressure on Manning to make every series count. Given that Manning still isn't 100% Manning and his receivers he been prone to lapses in judgement and route running this only increases the chances of a turn over. 1 turn over with no ToP can be fatal to a guy known to crack under mounting pressure throughout the game. You force them to play perfectly and that's how you beat them. In Ari and Bal we played sloppy and they got plenty of chances without fear of not having time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

One key point that no one has mentioned yet is that the Broncos offense has not put up very many points in the first half so far this year.  Most of their scoring has come in the second half.  If our offense can get rolling early you have to like our chances of building a comfortable lead in the first half which would go a long way towards making the Broncos O easier to defend.

Sections
Shortcuts